#41 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 28 August 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'm not going to take the ferry to get there.... Oddly enough costs almost as much to take a Sea-plane or Heli-jet flight to down town Van as it would for me to drive and use the ferry...

I appreciate that, as a former Vancouver Island guy. When you're looking at ~$90 in ferry costs alone, the hours involved, fuel costs getting to/from ferries on both sides, etc.. gah.

I practically never went to Vancouver when I lived on the Island. So retardedly expensive and so slow/inconvenient.

View PostMetus regem, on 28 August 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

I've got a restaurant about 5 minute drive from my work that makes authentic Montreal poutine... I've been known to duck out to grab lunch there... I know it's authentic, as the owner and staff are all from Montreal.

Which one/where? I'm out on the island at least once a year visiting my parents in Honeymoon Bay and sister in Duncan, would love a good spot to stop in ;)

#42 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,157 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 August 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

Seriously, while I don't care about culture in the slightest, if you haven't had poutine, bloody well have it. And not crappy fast food poutine, proper poutine. I mean, for reals, seriously.

I mean really, how can fries + cheese + gravy not be awesome? In what world doesn't that sound delicious? It baffles me that it's not common in the US now. Even crappy "poutine" like mozza/cheddar + gravy on fries is good; but proper poutine is freaking amazing.

Add bacon for added yum and increased risk of heart attack (totally worth it).

/signed

A friend of mine from Wisconsin (land of cheese and fried things) upon hearing a description of poutine simply said: "I'm from Wisconsin! How have we not thought of this!"

Edited by TercieI, 28 August 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#43 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 August 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

I appreciate that, as a former Vancouver Island guy. When you're looking at ~$90 in ferry costs alone, the hours involved, fuel costs getting to/from ferries on both sides, etc.. gah.

I practically never went to Vancouver when I lived on the Island. So retardedly expensive and so slow/inconvenient.

Which one/where? I'm out on the island at least once a year visiting my parents in Honeymoon Bay and sister in Duncan, would love a good spot to stop in ;)

la belle patate, it's in Esquimalt, near the Base....

Next time your on the island, if you swing into the South Island, I'd be happy to meet up for a pint, I've got a few good places around Brentwood Bay.

#44 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Count me in if you want a spoon to come along. It's always interesting meeting other players. Make it summer though.

#45 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 28 August 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

la belle patate, it's in Esquimalt, near the Base....

Next time your on the island, if you swing into the South Island, I'd be happy to meet up for a pint, I've got a few good places around Brentwood Bay.
Handy! We love to get the kiddos out to the lagoon while we're out that way; Calgary life doesn't expose em to ocean very often :)

#46 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

From what I've seen, poutine is basically New Jersey gyrofries with its own twist. Or, more likely, it's the other way around.

I know Gyrofries are god damned delicious.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 28 August 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#47 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostKangarad, on 28 August 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

while I agree with more risk = reward. I was not correct in telling that 200 damage per ton was the highest.

the highest is actualy IS SRM AMMO at 430 damage per ton.

430 ?
? And why specially IS SRM ?

Clan SRM and IS SRM have exactly same ammo per ton and same damage per missile and also same damage per ton

100 missile per ton * 2,15 damage per missile >> 215 damage per ton.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 28 August 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#48 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

wanna buy an island T shirt? I can show up with many.

#49 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,935 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 August 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Rofl; seriously? The damage:ton difference between SRM's and AC's is because of a few things:

1) AC's deliver 100% of their damage to the target component.
2) AC's can fire out to 2x their optimal range, SRM's hard stop at 270m
3) AC20 vs. AC10 comments above show a distressing lack of having any idea of what you're talking about.

Even today, AC10's aren't terribly popular. Ammo efficiency is a good plus for them, but even with that people tend to AC5's (range, velocity, dps) or AC20's (20dmg vs. 10dmg in a brawl is an obvious choice).

SRM's are NOT ammo efficient weapons, even though they seem to be, because 3xSRM6 fires 18 missiles. Thus 3xSRM6 will burn a ton of ammo in 5.5 shots.

Gah. There's so much wrong in the quoted post above my head hurts. Just stop.

Well, under the new ED system, I think normalising damage per ton for ACs would not be that harmful. We'v got tons of single AC20 IS brawlers which would benefit highly from it.
That 1 ton extra can mean an extra medium laser which counts way more when the mech has only 3-4 weapons.

As for AC boats, a damage per ton increase to 200 is just 30% more ammo which (considering the fact that boats already carry enough ammo), leads to a maximum of maybe 3 extra tons on Autocannon centred mechs.
That 3 tons is highly unlikely to go towards more weapons in the new energy draw system, because it means lower dps in an AC boat. Even if you want to equip more weapons, that 3 tons extra can only mean a medium laser or 2 with great difference in range bracket where an AC boat usually fights. It will most likely go towards engine which can lead to only 2-3 more kph.

You might argue that a KDK-3 might benefit the most. But keep in mind that we are getting the energy draw system and because of how that works... you would not want extra lasers in your dakka boat that reduce your fire output capacity.
Also keep in mind that KDK-3 is a cancer mech that should not have happened in the first place... PGI screwed the balance the moment they decided to inflate ballistic hardpoints in that mech.

You need to put away all the bias (created by the current GH) and think about it... imagine the changes under energy draw.

Also remember Clan (U)AC20s and how they work... they spread damage across many components and 140 damage per ton is highly limiting when it comes to choosing btween thm an gauss rifles.

Edited by Navid A1, 28 August 2016 - 11:36 AM.

#50 Poppaukko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 236 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 28 August 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

Clan SRM and IS SRM have exactly same ammo per ton and same damage per missile and also same damage per ton

100 missile per ton * 2,15 damage per missile >> 215 damage per ton.

Clan SRM damage per missile is 2, IS has 2,15. So not exactly the same damage per ton.

But yes, ammo per ton is the same.

Edited by Poppaukko, 28 August 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#51 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 28 August 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

Well, under the new ED system, I think normalising damage per ton for ACs would not be that harmful. We'v got tons of single AC20 IS brawlers which would benefit highly from it.
That 1 ton extra can mean an extra medium laser which counts way more when the mech has only 3-4 weapons.

As for AC boats, a damage per ton increase to 200 is just 30% more ammo which (considering the fact that boats already carry enough ammo), leads to a maximum of maybe 3 extra tons on Autocannon centred mechs.
That 3 tons is highly unlikely to go towards more weapons in the new energy draw system, because it means lower dps in an AC boat. Even if you want to equip more weapons, that 3 tons extra can only mean a medium laser or 2 with great difference in range bracket where an AC boat usually fights. It will most likely go towards engine which can lead to only 2-3 more kph.

You might argue that a KDK-3 might benefit the most. But keep in mind that we are getting the energy draw system and because of how that works... you would not want extra lasers in your dakka boat that reduce your fire output capacity.
Also keep in mind that KDK-3 is a cancer mech that should not have happened in the first place... PGI screwed the balance the moment they decided to inflate ballistic hardpoints in that mech.

You need to put away all the bias (created by the current GH) and think about it... imagine the changes under energy draw.

Also remember Clan (U)AC20s and how they work... they spread damage across many components and 140 damage per ton is highly limiting when it comes to choosing btween thm an gauss rifles.

Yeah, no argument with any of this.

I was talking in terms of live. I'd argue that under ED, it ought to be normalized for sure; and what's more upping to the 10-class levels is the way to go. Honestly, we need more ammo:ton on everything regardless, particularly in light of Faction Play.

Under ED, the 10-Class autocannons become more interesting choices than they are in Live, as you're looking at fitting weapon groups into smaller burst configurations (and AC20's at least currently have an additional ED penalty). So the environment shifts and the delta in ammo/ton isn't necessary anymore.

Generally speaking, though, in discussions of the game now, I'm always talking about the live client unless I specifically bring up ED, otherwise confusion reigns free Posted Image

View PostPoppaukko, on 28 August 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Clan SRM damage per missile is 2, IS has 2,15. So not exactly the same damage per ton.

An in terms of SRM's, at 100 missiles/ton you burn through tons of ammo extremely rapidly. Less ammo/ton for SRM's would be ridiculous. After all, a SRM24 brawler is basically getting 4 shots per ton. That makes AC20 ammo look plentiful.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 28 August 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

From what I've seen, poutine is basically New Jersey gyrofries with its own twist. Or, more likely, it's the other way around.

I know Gyrofries are god damned delicious.

Yeah; basically stuff on fries is awesome Posted Image Chili cheese fries, poutine, gyrofries, it's all delicious.

But proper poutine? It works together in ways most other things don't, the gravy melting the cheese curds into delicious heart-stopping noms... Posted Image

Edit: God damnit, now I need to go out and get some donairs for dinner.

Edited by Wintersdark, 28 August 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#52 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 August 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Edit: God damnit, now I need to go out and get some donairs for dinner.

An excellent Greek Place in Sidney on the Island is Maria's slouvlaki, owner of it Greek, so they've got everything right... Damn it... Now I want Greek for dinner....

#53 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostPoppaukko, on 28 August 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Yea exact
Damn PGI give sooo much infos in their own game i did mistake totally coze i only search IS srms on smurfy xD

Is SRM inflict more damage than clan SRM for balance Clan streak maybe ... PGI is logical ...

#54 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 28 August 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Yea exact
Damn PGI give sooo much infos in their own game i did mistake totally coze i only search IS srms on smurfy xD

Is SRM inflict more damage than clan SRM for balance Clan streak maybe ... PGI is logical ...

Well, also, Clan SRM launchers are half the size and weight. We still get the better end of the deal IMHO.

#55 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 August 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

Well, also, Clan SRM launchers are half the size and weight. We still get the better end of the deal IMHO.

Same with lrms launchers .. but dommage per missile are equal.
Also what the point of this logical "IS Srms have to deal more damage " ? Posted Image

Edited by Idealsuspect, 28 August 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#56 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

I forgot that ams also has ammo. thats 3,5*2000 (7000) or with module 6*2000 = 12000 damage per ton. whop whop. (equals 700 and 1200 missiles reduced to chunks)
duno why I thought that is srms had 200 ammo per ton...

#57 Depressing-Fire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 217 posts
  • LocationNew Tasmania, Kikuyu

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:30 PM

I'd go if it wouldn't suck the ******* out of my wallet, I had a passport. I'd totaly go for beers and a chin wag.

#58 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

Meh... not going even if its all expense paid...

#59 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 28 August 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

wanna buy an island T shirt? I can show up with many.

To troll PGI correctly, please include all the infamous memes:

90 days
CW power-point reference
"Not the target market" or whatever it was that Russ said to that effect. ;-)

#60 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostImperius, on 27 August 2016 - 08:49 PM, said:

I most likely will Posted Image o7

I'm still trying to figure out if I need to bring money for the merchandise there or if I can take the easy safe route of using my credit card. I hate to carry chunks of cash on me Posted Image but I'm going to for sure be buying stuff! I'm packing light to come home heavy!

Great stuff! Catalyst usually works in cash, although we should have more details after PAX Prime/West.

I will fire the question up the chain and find out!

RAM
ELH

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users