Make it easier to change password on the mwo site

50 replies to this topic

#1 prodigy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I still can't find the password reset and I've tried every tab and page under the Profile link at the top. I had to recover my password and now it's stuck as a bunch of random characters that are impossible to remember :D

#2 Thaygood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 172 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe QC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

when you do reset don't use "let me in"

#3 plutonick

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGreece

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

I have the exact same problem as the OP

#4 braski

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

I do also.

#5 Dragonlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

I honestly do not understand the problem you have.

Here is how you reset your password:
  • Go to your Profile (top right of the MWO web page).
  • Click on Forums Profile
  • In the top right corner below the search bar, click where it says "Edit Profile"
  • On the list on the left click on "Email & Password"
  • Change your password
Its not supposed to be easy to change your password, If your account got compromised it has to be difficult for any unauthorized person to change it.

And please dont say it dont work, because I actually did the things in the list above while I was making the list so I know it works.
I hope this helps those of you with problems.

Edited by Dragonlord, 22 July 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#6 prodigy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Dragonlord for the real response, it worked for me.

However, please don't try to pretend the reason its hidden is for security. It's bad website design and nothing else. If your account is comprised there are numerous ways other companies handle account recovery, but I've never seen one hide the password change option and call it a security feature. Once they read your post its not like its even slightly difficult for them to change someone's password once they are inside; It's more of an annoyance for every day users.

#7 Amuse

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Dragonlord, the problem most ppl have is that they assume that it would be intuitive, like any well designed web interface/site would be, but its not.
Why would password reset for your main account be under forum profile? Just about all sites that has user accounts has a specific page for account settings, while forum profile is a separate thing, only related to, well, your forum profile.

#8 Sims doc

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Its intressing how the forums is the main section for all things profile related.

#9 Klaxsun

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationShake city

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

Hit the notification button on the left of the search bar to get to your profile.

bad site design but easy to fix

Edited by Klaxsun, 09 August 2012 - 04:48 AM.

#10 b0wen

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostDragonlord, on 21 July 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

I honestly do not understand the problem you have.

Here is how you reset your password:
  • Go to your Profile (top right of the MWO web page).
  • Click on Forums Profile
  • In the top right corner below the search bar, click where it says "Edit Profile"
  • On the list on the left click on "Email & Password"
  • Change your password
Its not supposed to be easy to change your password, If your account got compromised it has to be difficult for any unauthorized person to change it.

And please dont say it dont work, because I actually did the things in the list above while I was making the list so I know it works.
I hope this helps those of you with problems.

This takes you to your profile edit page, but there is no password field. This maybe the issue most people are having and getting frustrated with (searching "changeing password" returns many posts).

Edited by b0wen, 14 November 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#11 gamingogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Exactly my problem, there is no password field.

#12 Cokai

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Yes No Pwassword Field, bit of stupid joke !

Problem is, you cant copy and paste your PW and the game client and i have a very crypted one.
So, what this developers basically force people to do is, using simple PW's - what is the absolut opposite what should be !!

#13 ToBe998

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

My solution was to start Password Recovery on the login screen. You will get a link via email to some ... very minimalistic ... website where you can set a new password.

#14 AlphaKnight

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

New player here, and I had set a lengthy password expecting it to be remembered by the launcher, or at least allow copy-pasting. Neither works, and now I can't change the password. I figured (more precisely, stumbled) on my own that the password change is to be done under forum profile settings, but like others have said, I DON'T see a password field there.

Not very encouraging design.

#15 Skadar

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Same problem. While editing my Forum Profile, after clicking the link "Email & Password", there is no password field anywhere on the page.

This is obvioudly some shoddy web development issue.

#16 RadicalRiot

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

I am also a new player and trying to change my password.

The whole problem in one picture:
http://w64i.img-up.n...prf175.jpg?l=de

#17 Fairamear

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 6 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

CORRECT! There is NOT a Password Field on PASSWORD PAGE http://mwomercs.com/profile/password

#18 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

It's way too easy to change password.

You click forgot my password on either the launcher or the forum login page then go to the crappy page linked to you via email.

The way too easy part is here. There is only one field for password. No confirmation entry.

Overall though it's simple.

This thread reminds me of the ones in which people can't figure out how to skip the intro movies.

#19 AkalaOubli

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostJadel Blade, on 01 December 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

It's way too easy to change password.

You click forgot my password on either the launcher or the forum login page then go to the crappy page linked to you via email.

The way too easy part is here. There is only one field for password. No confirmation entry.

Overall though it's simple.

This thread reminds me of the ones in which people can't figure out how to skip the intro movies.

Soooo what you're saying is that it isn't about being secure as much as it is bad design.

#20 JohnnyNW

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

How the **** do we change the password?

No answers yet -- and if they haven't fixed it now... being weeks I've waited, so I haven't played yet... waiting to change password...do they really... REALLY think I'll give them my credit card?

Fuckn idiots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users