And... The Bushwacker Is Upon Us

404 replies to this topic

#121 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

View PostCoralld, on 06 September 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

I like the camo actually for nostalgia reasons... Reminds me of my old Bushwacker toy. Posted Image

Posted Image

Well played PGI, well played.

Oooh, I was so hoping someone else caught that, too! I even still have that thing lying around somewhere...

#122 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:38 PM

As a player who principally pilots medium mechs and who got started with MechWarrior and BattleTech with MW3, I have to say about the Bushwacker....

....I just don't care. I was quick to jump into other mechs in MW3. The hardpoints were garbage in MW4. Stock Bushwacker configurations always felt like a hodge-podge that I couldn't quite get to work correctly in tabletop. You'd think I'd have huge nostalgia goggles for this one, but honestly, the Shadow Cat was the mech from MW3 & MW4 that I had been waiting for since MWO was announced.

I guess just wake me up when the Inner Sphere omnimechs start showing up.

#123 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 September 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

You could do 3AC5s with XL250 and have 4 tons of ammo + whatever you get if you shave off extra armour. It's not fantastic, it's a bit too close to the danger zone.

You could do 3AC2 which may be better when ED replaces Ghost heat. But I don't know.

I just realized that there aren't a lot of canon variants anyway, so PGI is likely to just invent a bunch of variants with ECM, 9 ballistic hardpoints or whatever else they feel like.

A 'Bushwacker' with 9 ballistic hardpoints for Mguns would be a lovely little lawnmower.

Edited by DrxAbstract, 06 September 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#124 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

View Postjss78, on 06 September 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Not really excited.

Here's a scientific representation of what the current problem is. I'll buy anything that addresses this (or is a Crusader).

Edit: I'd understand this if there were no options, but the 20+40 ton weight brackets are flooded with iconic 'mechs.

Posted Image

Aren't there five I.S. 35-tonners (Jenner, Raven, Firestarter, Panther, Wolfhound)?

Also, the Huntsman makes 4 Clan 50-tonners, for a total of 9.

#125 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

Man that's great work by Alex again. Would love to preorder it if I knew there were lights coming soon.

#126 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

View Postrolly, on 06 September 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

Its pretty ironic that the Mist Lynx is called the Koshi by DCMS troops in lore because it was "Small Death". Maybe DCMS troops had a sense of humour?

Well, compare it to a commando.

commando with lostech equipment that no IS faction would probably do due to economic costs and rarity:

3 x SRM 2, 1 med las.

Koshi with normal clan tech:
3 x SRM 6, 1 ER med laser... oh and lots of jumpjets, and BAP.... See the difference?

View PostRestosIII, on 06 September 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

I have to assume it was the infantry that named it, because that's all it's really good for killing.

Looking at stock builds?...

Commando (for eg, I do not know any native 25 tonner kurita used, locust would be unfair example) what?... an SRM 4 or something and a pair of medium lasers?
Koshi?... pair of SRM 6's... pair of er mediums... a small laser.... BAP.... and lots of JJ while also faster?....

#127 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 06 September 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

I knew the people bugging Alex last December to do the bushwacker were annoying enough!

Posted Image

What is this abomination? The arms are supposed to be spread out, like the EBJ. I do not like this version. Unless the angle is making it look weird.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 September 2016 - 06:30 PM.

#128 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

The folded down arms kill it for me. Just looks like a boxy crab and will be lucky to be as good - and the crab is mediocre.

Probably not as terrible at the PHX. Probably. Don't get your hopes up.

#129 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 September 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Hopefully it doesn't turn out mediocre, would be shame for such a famous gundam.

Um...what people seem to miss, is outside of MW3 PvE? It was always a very a mediocre Gundam, that was popular mostly for it's looks. In TT it was obsolete from day 1, with weapon loadout reminiscent of a 3025 era mech, in MW3, it was decently solid, and in MW4, the epitome of mediocrity.

I'll be interested to see how it's hitboxes fare, with the Kate Moss Orthos, though. It might be servicable. But people expecting a Meta Mech need to trade in their rose colored glasses. Not saying it couldn't end up being a high tier mech in MWO... just that it realyl wasn't one before.

#130 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

Um...what people seem to miss, is outside of MW3 PvE? It was always a very a mediocre Gundam, that was popular mostly for it's looks. In TT it was obsolete from day 1, with weapon loadout reminiscent of a 3025 era mech, in MW3, it was decently solid, and in MW4, the epitome of mediocrity.

I'll be interested to see how it's hitboxes fare, with the Kate Moss Orthos, though. It might be servicable. But people expecting a Meta Mech need to trade in their rose colored glasses. Not saying it couldn't end up being a high tier mech in MWO... just that it realyl wasn't one before.

That's kind of why I said "hopefully." If a gundam had good inherent design traits then I wouldn't need to hope for it in the first place.

#131 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 September 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

That's kind of why I said "hopefully." If a gundam had good inherent design traits then I wouldn't need to hope for it in the first place.

I'm more referring to the Nostalgiaists who are going to flock to it expecting it to be a Meta-Zord because of fond childhood memories... who may or may not be disappointed...but who are basing expectations off of foggy memories of rainbows and unicorns.

I used it pretty heavily in MW3... dual AC10s made it a rapidfire, no heat jackhammer. Highly doubt that will be the case here. So for me, this just largely confirms that Cyclops as the cut off for possible designs for HBS' Battletech, more than anything else.

#132 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

I'm more referring to the Nostalgiaists who are going to flock to it expecting it to be a Meta-Zord because of fond childhood memories... who may or may not be disappointed...but who are basing expectations off of foggy memories of rainbows and unicorns.

I used it pretty heavily in MW3... dual AC10s made it a rapidfire, no heat jackhammer. Highly doubt that will be the case here. So for me, this just largely confirms that Cyclops as the cut off for possible designs for HBS' Battletech, more than anything else.

From derping around in SSW and Smurfys, you can actually make a double AC/10 build with 6 tons of ammo and an XL255 engine. Not exactly optimal since it's basically just a weaker heavy with that speed, but it's not like there's much else to do with it in this game.

I would probably opt for 2 UAC/5 and 2 ML for a bigger engine, if I ever got the mech (which I probably won't).

Edited by FupDup, 06 September 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#133 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

I have really good memories with this mech in MW3... However in MWO, it does not seem to become a top performer.

Also HBS might wanna do 3050 DLC packs... who knows?
Surely they don't want to miss out on all these amazing clan designs.

#134 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 06 September 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

I have really good memories with this mech in MW3... However in MWO, it does not seem to become a top performer.

Also HBS might wanna do 3050 DLC packs... who knows?
Surely they don't want to miss out on all these amazing clan designs.

With success, anything is possible, though their tentative plans if I recall correctly was for a 4th Succession Wars Pack as the first DLC, if one was merited by sales. Probably Clans after. Kind of a shame though to rush to it, when 3050 has been beat to death like a dead horse since MW2. Wouldn't mind seeing them explore less known flashpoints in Battletech Lore, like the Amaris Civil War, the Pentagon Civil War/Golden Century for the Clans, or even the Jihad itself.

But sad truth is, sales bear out people prefer to retread Madcats again and again than to expand their horizons.

View PostRed Shrike, on 06 September 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

That depends on your definition of "mediocre".

Me, I'll probably be more than content to run it stock.
Edit: Either way, the inclusion of the Bushwacker would mean a jump in the timeline, which I very much dislike.

Not by that much, since the Bushwacker comes online in the early 3050s.

#135 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 September 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

PGI variants have been a thing for quite a while. It started with taking canon hero mechs and giving them non-canon loadouts, and then eventually non-canon heroes, and then finally non-canon normal variants.

I think PGI still has plenty of gundams from the future timeline that they can put in MWO using old tech, so I don't expect any truly new gundams within this millennia.

Yup. And this is pretty much proof positive that now that the genie is out of the bottle, PGI intends to go as batcrap full throttle with making their own gundam variants as they did with going crackhead crazy with Quirks.

See that Iceberg ahead? Full throttle pilot!!! We're Unsinkable!!!!
Posted Image

#136 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Yup. And this is pretty much proof positive that now that the genie is out of the bottle, PGI intends to go as batcrap full throttle with making their own gundam variants as they did with going crackhead crazy with Quirks.

Posted Image

On the bright side, they might end up making 1 or 2 actually decent Bushwacker variants in the process...maybe.

Edited by FupDup, 06 September 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#137 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 September 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

On the bright side, they might end up making 1 or 2 actually decent Bushwacker variants in the process...maybe.

Yeah... big whoop.

I would have preferred them make some packs with real Battletech robots in it, like the Charger, Crusader, etc.... but this probably appeals to Paul's ego more.

#138 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

in MW4, the epitome of mediocrity.

Well, depends on the mod, there was a mod where it was THE workhorse medium of the IS, but that mod also had MRMs that locked on (MRM60 Bushi was pretty awesome) that helped it out a lot. 2 Light Gauss was also pretty fun, but yeah, for vanilla and the mektek mods it was pretty meh.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 06 September 2016 - 07:06 PM.

#139 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

Unless PGI lets us cram like 100 SRM 2's on a new atlas in the legs, cockpit, arms, torso, CT, etc.... it won't be "Gundam variants" to me.

#140 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

View Postjss78, on 06 September 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Not really excited.

Here's a scientific representation of what the current problem is. I'll buy anything that addresses this (or is a Crusader).

Edit: I'd understand this if there were no options, but the 20+40 ton weight brackets are flooded with iconic 'mechs.

Posted Image

So several problems have been pointed out. . . but the most glaring one is that you say that clans have a 20 ton mech. They don't. No counter to the Locust. But they could . . . http://mwomercs.com/...d-a-20-ton-mech
I'd pay real money for a 12 mg 20 ton light.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users