#301 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostKhobai, on 08 September 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

the best selling mechwarrior games and novels have all been clan centric. you think thats a coincidence?

Vengeance and Black Knight had nothing to do with the Clans if I recall, they just had Clan mechs in the game.

I think what is a coincidence is that those games were trying to support the what was the popular point in the timeline. I mean, if I were a betting person, if FASA hadn't closed its doors MW5 would've entered the Jihad era given the endings from MW4:Mercs. The market sadly changed for PC combat simulators sadly after MW4 though Posted Image.

View PostKhobai, on 08 September 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

because everything after 3058 is complete crap. thats what killed battletech.

Sadly, people like you are what kill Battletech. You want it to stay the same forever, ignoring that a franchise has to reinvent itself every once in awhile to bring in new players and give itself a modern facelift.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 08 September 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#302 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 08 September 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

I haven't read a lot of those, but wasn't it mostly that Star Trek Into Darkness/Star Wars Attack of the Clones cop-out that all along there were super secret programs within already super-secretive Comstar hoarding resources to build super secret super armies at super secret bases to sweep in as a deus ex mechina Big Bad... In turn forcing the Successor States, non-homeworld Clans, remnant forces of Comstar, etc. to actually have to pull together for once and therefore pave the way for unification under the Republic of the Sphere and Emperor of Mankind Devlin Stone? Seemed kinda forced.

Somewhat. The Manei Domini were the result of a decades long power struggle within comstar and the WoB between the real Thomas Marik and the less insane members. The Word of Blake Militia beyond the first 10 divisions drew a lot of its funds from the FWL and Capcon which allowed them to make about 20 additional divisions over 20 years. The warship fleets were ex-star league era ships that Comstar originally mothballed back after the fall of the Star League to keep them out of the hands of the House Lords, or just as often, compromised FWL and Comstar ships.

But all of this was originally designed to destroy all the clans (especially the MD). When the IS decided to disband the Star league, they set their angst on the IS instead.

I'll grant you the "EVERYONE BANDS TOGETHER TO FIGHT THE BAD GUY" & Devlin Stone thing were very forced though.

The Jihad does have highlights though: the Wars of Reaving are very interesting (though the outcome is not). The eventual fall into the DA is what makes the Jihad a hard pill to swallow. If DA had been ignored then a more sensible plot could have taken place after the end of the WoB.

But I'll give them credit in that they retconned as much of DA as they could and filled the gap between 3081-3130 as best they could. It could have been a lot worse, and there wasn't much they could have done to make it better given the destination.

#303 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

The Jihad does have highlights though: the Wars of Reaving are very interesting (though the outcome is not).

The outcome of that does indeed make me sad (Stone Lions?!? Star Adder being the il-Clan?!?), though the removal of CSV from existence still makes me happy.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 08 September 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#304 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 September 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Vengeance and Black Knight had nothing to do with the Clans if I recall, they just had Clan mechs in the game.

I think what is a coincidence is that those games were trying to support the what was the popular point in the timeline. I mean, if I were a betting person, if FASA hadn't closed its doors MW5 would've entered the Jihad era given the endings from MW4:Mercs. The market sadly changed for PC combat simulators sadly after MW4 though Posted Image.

Sadly, people like you are what kill Battletech. You want it to stay the same forever, ignoring that a franchise has to reinvent itself every once in awhile to bring in new players and give itself a modern facelift.

Most of MW4 Mercs had nothing to do with the Clans, either.

In fact, really only 3 releases were "Clan-Centric" for the PC. MW2, MW2 GBL and MW3. But MW3 Pirates moon was not, nor were any of the MW4 titles, actually. And the most commercially and critically lauded installment of the whole series is MW2 Mercs, which only touch on the clans at the very end.

#305 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

Well, the specs for the BSW variants have been posted, and I gotta say, the primary variant has some interesting loadout possibilities. 4 ballistic hardpoints. I just have this ridiculous idea for a quad AC/2 build. Hey, it worked out pretty well on my Hunchie IIC.

The downside is the X1 is extremely ammo dependent, with only 1 energy hardpoint. Kinda wish it got inflated to 2. I like to have 2 ML at least on my builds as my end-of-match-out-of-ammo weapons. But barring super bad hitboxes this is one of the few mechs I'm actually tempted to do the (S) version on. At least on paper.

#306 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

Thinking about it, I wonder what would've happened if they went less nonsensical with the post Jihad timeline... Would Ghost Bear Dominion still been silent, doing their own thing, or would that have become the leaders for a new Star League? I mean when you think about it, they were in the best shape out of all the factions at the end...

#307 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

[

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 September 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

reminds me of the people who want Metallica to have just recycled Kill Em All for the last 30 years and think that modern Slayer is somehow interesting.

#308 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 September 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

Thinking about it, I wonder what would've happened if they went less nonsensical with the post Jihad timeline... Would Ghost Bear Dominion still been silent, doing their own thing, or would that have become the leaders for a new Star League? I mean when you think about it, they were in the best shape out of all the factions at the end...

All that time spent focusing on infrastructure definitely put them in a good place, but I doubt it would have change their still isolationist nature, they never seemed to care for the measuring contest between Clans like the Falcons and the Wolves. If they had been offered the seat? Sure, but that wouldn't ever happen.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 08 September 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#309 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 September 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

Maybe. Ghost Bear is probably going to come in and eviscerate Kurita in the authors' attempt to save Davion.

But I can almost guarantee that Wolf, led by a genetic Steiner-Davion, is going to take Terra and declare itself the ilClan. They'll call themselves the leader of the new Star League, backed by the Steiner-Davion tie.

Edited by dervishx5, 08 September 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#310 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

Maybe. Ghost Bear is probably going to come in and eviscerate Kurita

I liked this part, and then I saw the rest......

in the authors' attempt to save Davion.

Just gross

#311 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 September 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

I liked this part, and then I saw the rest......

Just gross

Oh I know. But according to TRO 3145 Kurita has New Avalon under its control and the Capellans have only recently been stopped in their drive. The Davions will need some sort of miracle.

I've already written off Steiner. It's more Wolf/Falcon than blue crayon at this point.

#312 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 08 September 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

Well, the specs for the BSW variants have been posted, and I gotta say, the primary variant has some interesting loadout possibilities. 4 ballistic hardpoints. I just have this ridiculous idea for a quad AC/2 build. Hey, it worked out pretty well on my Hunchie IIC.

The downside is the X1 is extremely ammo dependent, with only 1 energy hardpoint. Kinda wish it got inflated to 2. I like to have 2 ML at least on my builds as my end-of-match-out-of-ammo weapons. But barring super bad hitboxes this is one of the few mechs I'm actually tempted to do the (S) version on. At least on paper.

looking at it, the best hard point set up is on the Hero..

4E
3B
1M

How ever the P2 looks decent too:

4E
2B
2M

All this with an engine cap of 360... not bad....

#313 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 06 September 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

Now, I'll have you know, the Mist Lynx is a wonderful mech that doesn't need any buffing. I mean, look at the damage and kills I got with my highest score matches in my Mist Lynx A lore build! Absolutely ridiculous!

Posted Image

Posted Image

mate. as i made my first battle with a myst lynx prime, stock, basic, i got 716 damage. knowing it was a one time battle i still cant accept that BS you wrote here.

edit: it was actually a myst lynx B

Edited by Alienized, 08 September 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#314 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 September 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

4E
3B
1M

4E
2B
2M

I am interested in the P1 myself!

6 Missile, with a ballistic and energy on the side.

#315 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

Yup... Even Alex's magical touch couldnt make the bushwalker look good...

Why do you people love this mech so much?!?

Its ugly as sin...

#316 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 September 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

4E
3B
1M

4E
2B
2M

Yeah, I agree. I could do a lot with that P2, and the hero's options aren't looking too shabby either. The hardpoint locations are really what makes it unique, although some of them might not be all that great for convergence, you can definitely do a few things with the BSW you can't quite pull off with anything else in it's weight class, IS side at least.

Hell, you can do a dual LBX 10 build WITH an XL engine. Or dual AC/10s for that matter. Granted I'm probably one of the few weirdos actually interested in a build like those. You'd probably be better off with double UAC/5s. With the arm and ST mount the convergence would actually be pretty decent, even close up.

#317 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 08 September 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Yup... Even Alex's magical touch couldnt make the bushwalker look good...

Why do you people love this mech so much?!?

Its ugly as sin...

Same reason people define beauty different from other people.

#318 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

Maybe. Ghost Bear is probably going to come in and eviscerate Kurita in the authors' attempt to save Davion.

But I can almost guarantee that Wolf, led by a genetic Steiner-Davion, is going to take Terra and declare itself the ilClan. They'll call themselves the leader of the new Star League, backed by the Steiner-Davion tie.

Not likely unless the DA series picked back up again, as the last book I read had the Republic win but no details in the time skip in the last Paperback, as the true last book was E-Book and never had anything to read it on at the time. There was some big legal mess with Loren L. Coleman that also help end the Dark age Series, in addition to Wizkids closing down.

As for other Mechwarrior games, post the two Xbox games Microsoft actually forgot they even had the rights to Mechwarrior due to the Halo series being so popular.

Edited by Shadowomega1, 08 September 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#319 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

Same reason people define beauty different from other people.

Yah but were talking about the bushwacker... Its like a raven... With humongoloid legs and weird lopsided arms...

This and the sloth are the reasons its so hard for me to watch the animated cartoon of battletech...

#320 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 08 September 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Not likely unless the DA series picked back up again, as the last book I read had the Republic win but no details in the time skip; was the last Paperback as well the true last book was E-Book only and there was some big legal mess with Loren L. Coleman that also help end the Dark age Series.

Yeah the series has advanced about 5 years or so since the last novel.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users