So It's The Bushwacker! Are You Going To Buy It Yes Or No, And Why Or Why Not?

BattleMechs

386 replies to this topic

#261 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:28 PM

View PostDr Hobo, on 07 September 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

I like it. The Whacker is one of my TT mechs(Yeah I was the dumb kid who brought all the bad mechs and a ton of battle armors)

I bought the Viper basic pack as my last pack to buy. The Phoenix Hawk was so disappointing. Fun to drive,terrible to fight with.

Out of all the mechpacks this year,so far they've been disappointing,and I'm sad we haven't seen a light in ages. The Whacker should have come out much sooner(as in it should have come out shortly after we had the Vulture)

Honestly I'll wait for Cbills. I'm happy with my Hunchback it seems to do the same thing but with a better layout.

Give the PHX another run. Try a LL and 3 LPL on the PHX-2 with an XL-310. It rocks. I consistently get very good runs. If you can run and gun this is a very good harasser and light hunter.

#262 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:29 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 September 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

However the tryhard competitive meta crowd shakes their head patronizingly at you.

Let them come.

#263 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:31 PM

View PostRock Roller, on 07 September 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

Give the PHX another run. Try a LL and 3 LPL on the PHX-2 with an XL-310. It rocks. I consistently get very good runs. If you can run and gun this is a very good harasser and light hunter.

I've run the 3 ERLL with all the heatsinks and biggest engine. Still found it a fun to drive,if bad to fight with mech.

Maybe I'll give it another run one day.

But my eternal love the Locust is just a joy to drive and fight with. Nothing like touching a Kodiaks *** and running away :D

#264 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

well, your recollection is wrong, sadly. Or based off of MW4 which confuses a lot of people since they stripped the hands off of pretty much everything....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

but MW4,
Posted Image
yeah no hand.

I actually have those books. It was a bit okay, not on the cover but on the inside art in its introductory tech read out. Not the coolest mech by far in that book but worth looking at. But it did have hands.

#265 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

That'd explain it. Haven't bothered with their podcasts in months... Kind of like the game itself. Guess I'll have to listen to that one though. About how far in was it?

If you listen to the twitch Vod the first 20 minutes is music and Phil saying random bull ****. Thanks for wasting my mobile data on that. Then there is 10 minutes of Russ and Derek talking about how hard their job is. After that the is vs clan thing is the first thing they talk about.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 07 September 2016 - 11:39 PM.

#266 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 07 September 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

If you listen to the twitch Vod the first 20 minutes is music and Phil saying random bull ****. Thanks for wasting my mobile data on that. Then there is 10 minutes of Russ and Derek talking about how hard their job is. After that the is vs clan thing is the first thing they talk about.

You wasted mobile data on that tripe?

#267 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:49 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 September 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

I wouldn't do that either... Poor thing...he's still dedicated :(

#268 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:59 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

Concept is close to the source, with the eception of where legomech dynamic weapons rear their ugly heads (like that bulky clunky square laser). The manipulator claw and the sidecar AC10 were always the weak links of the original aesthetic, and one I wish Alex had cleaned up some, maybe a little more along these lines
Posted Image
or even by putting the ac barrel in the center of the "claw and making the claw larger and more functional.

Beyond that, I think, the orthos would have looked better with scissor knees, but that is a subjective preference, and not one MWO has followed even on mechs that traditionally had them, like the Scat.

TBH I do not mind the square laser on this mech. TBH the only mech it bugs me the most is the Raven... and it sucks too because every damn time I go to this forum (and you know I go here a lot...) I see the beautiful wallpaper: that's great... and besides the fact the Raven 2X on the left has the beautiful SRM 6 side pack... it has the even more iconic twin "round" medium laser arm... one day it will return... one day.... I will not accept square-heads for this.

But anyway, I have to say the whole... AC 'side part' cought me off guard... being an MW player I always saw that without a claw with it in the centre....
Posted Image

Personally I can't tell if that AC 10 arm here is my preferred due to nostelgia or what... I honestly can't tell you.

But then again in the past I preffer one design over another- but dozens upon dozens of people like the current as is: I have most of my MW/ BT friends on steam call the MW: O ortho sexy and TBH I like everything besides that one arm... I can learn to love again... HOWEVER remember what happened to the Wolfhound?... the whole head situation?... and the urbanmech squaty-ness?.... It's perhaps not to late to contact them with a solid explanation to see if an alternative to the AC 10 arm could occur... TBH: I am squared how derpy it'll look with say a Gauss rifle... or AC 20, or a what have you.... but I od not have a clear view on it, I got time to judge...

BTW.... that bushwacker you linked... is that the variant with 3 LRM 5's?... oh my lord... I didn't know it could look so good with symetrical missile launchers.... curses....

#269 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 07 September 2016 - 11:59 PM, said:

TBH I do not mind the square laser on this mech. TBH the only mech it bugs me the most is the Raven... and it sucks too because every damn time I go to this forum (and you know I go here a lot...) I see the beautiful wallpaper: that's great... and besides the fact the Raven 2X on the left has the beautiful SRM 6 side pack... it has the even more iconic twin "round" medium laser arm... one day it will return... one day.... I will not accept square-heads for this.

Well, damn.. I've never really paid attention to the forum's background image.

A frikkin' Overlord+TDM like the maps/modes we used to have back in MW4.

That looks like the Battletech game that I want to play: a pretty version of our old MW4's private servers that ran forced-first-person / no-respawn / goal-based-PVP missions.

Posted Image

#270 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 08 September 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

That looks like the Battletech game that I want to play: a pretty version of our old MW4's private servers that ran forced-first-person / no-respawn / goal-based-PVP missions.

Posted Image

That is a Union

#271 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:40 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 08 September 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

That is a Union

...Which isn't in the game.

#272 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:40 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 September 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

I was waiting for the thing to start. I also didn't listen to the whole thing. Even after getting to the actual meat of the podcast ingot about 10 minutes in and got sick of Russ whining every other sentence.

#273 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:48 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 08 September 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

That is a Union

Oh, derp.. You're right.. Overlords are the giant eggs.

I miss that MW4 mode.. like that one map wherein it was a team vs another team and the objective was to destroy three dropships before they take off.. or the others that were a team vs another team and one dropship on the ground and the objective was to destroy that dropship. That was exciting and much more fun than PGI's Invasion mode.. even if the damned things would one-shot small mechs with their hax auto-aiming Gauss Rifles.

#274 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:51 AM

View PostRed Shrike, on 08 September 2016 - 12:40 AM, said:

Never say never.

Check Arman's portfolio here (PGI 3D modeler)
MWO 2016: https://armanguy.art...tfolio/mwo-2016
Homepage: https://armanguy.artstation.com/

Union class dropship WIP:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Navid A1, 08 September 2016 - 12:55 AM.

#275 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:01 AM

No, for the following reasons:
  • It's not a Drac Machine
  • I'm still bogged down with over a dozen chassis (Not variants... Chassis) that I still haven't finished elite'ing, much less mastering, from older packages
  • The game isn't interesting enough to inspire me to pick up the pace on levelling said mechs. QP is boring and repetitive - the players keep it that way by complaining/voting-aganst everything that isn't "Team Deathmatch", and there's rarely anyone to play with in FP outside of CJF. 12-mans are not something I can partake in terribly often.
  • There are still many mechs that are from the 3025/3050 timeline that have yet to even receive a passing glance from the devs. Forget fleas - really core units like Chargers, Javelins, Clints, Hermes IIs, and Assassins have yet to see the light of day.
That said, I do actually have a soft spot for the hero mech, as the Battletech cartoon was my first exposure to the franchise, and more than a few of my Mechwarrior Single Player characters were named after characters from the cartoon, but at this time, I just can't justify the purchase.

I'd rather blow the same amount of money on grabbing the new Deus Ex on a steam-sale or something.

Edited by ice trey, 08 September 2016 - 01:10 AM.

#276 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:26 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 07 September 2016 - 11:59 PM, said:

TBH I do not mind the square laser on this mech. TBH the only mech it bugs me the most is the Raven...

Just the Raven?

I mean I agree with you that it looks bad on the raven but what about other mechs that they equally damage?

Do you not think it looks like crap on the Crab too?
And the Locust?
I can't believe they couldn't give the Crab a proper CT laser...or a long laser barrel on the locust...

Its literally SACRILEGE how the lazy and awful implementation of "boxlazors" is ****** the otherwise very good looking artistic value Alex's mech designs.

The old hunchback wasn't ruined by freaking boxlazors... the head laser on that mech looks fine. why can't they put in the minimal time and effort to get a few styling cues right with the new mechs...no they have to cut corners every.. single.. chance.. they can.

[edit for clarity... i am referring to the head small laser and side torso tri-laser cluster on the hunchie not being ruined. they did put boxlazors in the hunch's actual hunch I know.]

Edited by Wolf Ender, 08 September 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#277 DJ Mitchell

• PipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 61 posts
  • Locationright behind you

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:39 AM

Was looking forward to this mech, even after the Phoenix Hawk debacle, but the bluebrint is irritating...instead of an EBJ like slugger, it´s a thin, long, tall "something"...

#278 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:37 AM

After the treatment that I have gotten as a Whale for so many years i.e. I need to buy totally useless Mechs in the Collectors Edition to qualify for you know what, and that the Hero Mechs do not count I will never spend another cent here. I have enough banked Premium time that will outlast the game that I never ever need to spend another dime here.

Well done PGI you got rid of another whale with your policy.

Seriously who needs 2 identical Mechs ( I was a Whale like I said and have all the packs from Legendary Founder till the one before the Linebacker I stopped there and all the hero mechs I will ever need), not for the lousy 30% more credits, I have more of those then you can shake a stick at, what I wanted was MECHS and not copies, so the totally uselss for me at least Collector Packs were and never will be an option, end of a sad story.

#279 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:50 AM

View PostEric Wulfen, on 08 September 2016 - 03:37 AM, said:

After the treatment that I have gotten as a Whale for so many years i.e. I need to buy totally useless Mechs in the Collectors Edition to qualify for you know what, and that the Hero Mechs do not count I will never spend another cent here. I have enough banked Premium time that will outlast the game that I never ever need to spend another dime here.

Well done PGI you got rid of another whale with your policy.

Seriously who needs 2 identical Mechs ( I was a Whale like I said and have all the packs from Legendary Founder till the one before the Linebacker I stopped there and all the hero mechs I will ever need), not for the lousy 30% more credits, I have more of those then you can shake a stick at, what I wanted was MECHS and not copies, so the totally uselss for me at least Collector Packs were and never will be an option, end of a sad story.

Careful man.
I brought up this issue when marauder was announced... when Kodiak was announced... when Phoenixhawk was announced... and when they announced loyalty rewards.
And every time... white knights responded with: "hey those collectors are for the truly dedicated customers" and "collector's pack has 30 days extra prem time so it has value" comments (like PGI is doing special treatment to them for their effort or something)

In this game, the more you buy, the less you get over time.

I too have over 2 years of useless prem time banked... so collector's pack is just double price for a re-skin and 30% cbill bonus on a copy-paste variant.
They don't even give you new cockpit items... it just gives you 3 copy-pastes of the ones you get in the standard pack

Somehow buying mech pack after mech pack non-stop is not enough loyalty.
You have to accept being ripped off to become loyal!!!

inb4 white knight attack!

Edited by Navid A1, 08 September 2016 - 03:54 AM.

#280 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

View PostRed Shrike, on 08 September 2016 - 12:40 AM, said:

Didn't PGI said the Union dropship will be available on some game mode for quickplay later and a similar game mode with an overlord for FP?

View PostAnTi90d, on 08 September 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

Posted Image

The worst part is I only get matches like these in PUG matches that everyone sorta stays together in the sense of in the same fight- not half of them hiddding behind each other or can't get in to shoot the enemy. or most of them hillhumping. It's when both teams fully commit to getting to an area and both are to stubborn to move out... this happens a lot when both teams go under the HPG- the best brawls and skirmishes I've ever had in MW: O was there... but sometimes on canyon network too and more rarely forest colony, polar highlands, terra therma, and alpine peaks.

I also get these battles a lot on custom matches...

Before you ask why this is rare: it's because to many people are worried of getting hurt and the rewards of getting in there and smashing mechs up versus humping a ledge with high alpha strikes...

I know I know, I often blame the playerbase for everything... but come on. It's the player bases fault most things do not go into the attended 'battles'... all other MW games made this guaranteed by having objectives and lots and lots of ai's.

BTW: If you want the "wallpaper" and not just the background version with a black smear over the middle... here. have this.

Posted Image

Also, if you want the old one...
Posted Image

And the older one...
Posted Image

https://ddkart.blogspot.co.nz/ also this guy does the concept art for things like Logo's... Insignias... Decals (some of them?), and maps... his map concept art is GOERGIOUS and I advise to throw love and praise at him. He's an unsung hero artist of MW: O. We all love Alex but ~DdK~ needs love too....

(some examples of his work and only 1 concept art per map)

Guess the maps?...
1)
Posted Image
2)
Posted Image
3)
Posted Image
4)
Posted Image
4)Posted Image
5)
Posted Image