So It's The Bushwacker! Are You Going To Buy It Yes Or No, And Why Or Why Not?

BattleMechs

386 replies to this topic

#161 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:01 PM

Nope. Voting with wallet, will be uninspired.

#162 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 September 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

Don't forget range. Their default range is the same as the equivalent IS normal laser, e.g. the Heavy ML has 270m optimal range.

Sacrificing duration might be iffy though, as I can already imagine the Heavy LL being given the same crazy duration that the Clan ERLL used to have...

Yeah, so for the large, say it has what 500 m range, 16 damage, 1.5 seconds duration, 13 heat? or something?

Medium, 270 m range, 9-10 damage, 1.2 second duration, 8-9 heat?

I don't know, I don't think those lasers would be that hard to balance tbh.

#163 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Yeah, so for the large, say it has what 500 m range, 16 damage, 1.5 seconds duration, 13 heat? or something?

Medium, 270 m range, 9-10 damage, 1.2 second duration, 8-9 heat?

I don't know, I don't think those lasers would be that hard to balance tbh.

The Heavy Large was 450m range by default, and I wouldn't see any reason to extend it.

13 heat might be getting a bit too low...should be at least 14-15 (for reference, the BT value was a whopping 18 heat). Duration somewhere around 1.3 would be better I think, since it is a midrange gun (the Clan ERLL gets away with 1.5 because it has so much friggin range).

The goal here is to have it strong when using only one, to make having two of them be okay but restricted (just like ERPPCs), and having more than two be a bad idea. High quality, low quantity.

Edited by FupDup, 07 September 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#164 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 September 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

The Heavy Large was 450m range by default, and I wouldn't see any reason to extend it.

13 heat might be getting a bit too low...should be at least 14-15 (for reference, the BT value was a whopping 18 heat).

The goal here is to have it strong when using only one, to make having two of them be okay but restricted (just like ERPPCs), and having more than two be a bad idea. High quality, low quantity.

Is the Clan Large Pulse default range 600m? It has to compete with that as well. Using 1 would be bad. Staring for 1.5 seconds for 16 damage? Meh. I could take 3 ER MLs for less tonnage, 18 heat, and 21 damage at more or less the same range. Using 1 would never be good...

#165 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

When i did play mw3 i always made mine a llx3 mlx2 pseudo-crab myself. It heated fast

I don't even own the crab that btw. Too many meds tbh

#166 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,760 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:23 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

Is the Clan Large Pulse default range 600m? It has to compete with that as well. Using 1 would be bad. Staring for 1.5 seconds for 16 damage? Meh. I could take 3 ER MLs for less tonnage, 18 heat, and 21 damage at more or less the same range. Using 1 would never be good...

Heavy Large are a special case because they directly compete with ERMLs (which is part of the reason mektek left ERMLs nerfed in that mod). Heavy mediums are gonna be the more difficult one since they are sort of the in-between of ERML and ERSLs. Which is partially why they are hard to balance because their default ranges conflict with various roles which honestly why I would love to see them revamp the roles of the various lasers, too much conflict with regards to roles.

#167 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:36 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 07 September 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Gun play isn't bad and some of the maps are decent, so yes, having new guns would help, if only for a little bit.

Just got my second full size safe because...You always need more guns! They are fun and they all do something a bit different. That is at least what I tell the wife. I shoot a lot and variety is if nothing else fun.

I personally don't see why they don't implement at least some of the easy new tech ones. IS ER laser series, Light PPC, Thunderbolt missiles and rocket launchers all give some new options with out to much new ground being covered.

With the mechs they are starting to release these weapons are in the pipeline. It doesn't have to be a mass release of every conceivable weapon system or tech. Pick what you can make work now and throw a couple of more in the arena for the lions to play with.

Edited by Rock Roller, 07 September 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#168 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 06 September 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

Hey Mr. Plog still worked miracles.

Either way they are redoing a bunch of the art, but even some of that is... well, you can see for yourself:

Posted Image

Yeah the original is horrible, but this isn't much better. I think it would be okay to completely redo some of the original art.

The art work as a piece of work it is pretty damn good, as an Ostscout, its dung I'm afraid, its a man in a suit with a gun poking out his navel, remove that and you have a power suit..

I'm not going to put any blame on the artist, god knows what he was directed to create, but that isn't even a mech

#169 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 September 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

That's the issue though, take a mech with limited E hard points, like the Summoner or Shadow Cat, and suddenly Heavy Lasers become a very interesting and viable choice...

For instance on a Shadow Cat, fully armoured with ECM, you've still got 15t to work with, but only 3 hard points for energy weapons, you could cram upto 3 heavy large lasers (HLL) and 3 extra DHS in there to chew up tonnage, or 1 HLL+2cERML and a boat load of DHS to help keep you cool, all of a sudden the Shadow Cat becomes less Sadcat....

#170 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 September 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

13 heat might be getting a bit too low...should be at least 14-15 (for reference, the BT value was a whopping 18 heat). Duration somewhere around 1.3 would be better I think, since it is a midrange gun (the Clan ERLL gets away with 1.5 because it has so much friggin range).

now how does one emulate their inherent inaccuracy, and impact on sperm count?

#171 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 07 September 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

That's the issue though, take a mech with limited E hard points, like the Summoner or Shadow Cat, and suddenly Heavy Lasers become a very interesting and viable choice...

For instance on a Shadow Cat, fully armoured with ECM, you've still got 15t to work with, but only 3 hard points for energy weapons, you could cram upto 3 heavy large lasers (HLL) and 3 extra DHS in there to chew up tonnage, or 1 HLL+2cERML and a boat load of DHS to help keep you cool, all of a sudden the Shadow Cat becomes less Sadcat....

3 Heavy LL with only 3 extra DHS? You'd basically be a neutered version of the Direstar at that rate.

#172 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

Getting back on topic, if what's being said here runs through all the community we can chalk this up to another great comment by Russ.

It's an IS mech that everyone will like.

Seems not in this straw pole thingy

#173 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

A bit more beam duration than Clan pulse lasers would be fine for that...making them actually longer than Clan ER lasers would make the Heavy LL outright useless. This is one of the areas where liberties have to be taken.

#174 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostCathy, on 07 September 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

The art work as a piece of work it is pretty damn good, as an Ostscout, its dung I'm afraid, its a man in a suit with a gun poking out his navel, remove that and you have a power suit..

I'm not going to put any blame on the artist, god knows what he was directed to create, but that isn't even a mech

Posted Image
wish he'd based it more off this version

#175 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,760 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

Duration is the easy way to emulate that, but then again, they could just give us the "improved" version early, not that weapon explosions are a great balancing facet.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 07 September 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#176 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 September 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

A bit more beam duration than Clan pulse lasers would be fine for that...making them actually longer than Clan ER lasers would make the Heavy LL outright useless. This is one of the areas where liberties have to be taken.

possibly as a balancer, hard cap their range at 450, with no secondary range?

#177 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

That seems a little too far, especially given Guzzler's earlier comparison to just mounting a few ER Mediums. Just keeping the heat somewhat high would likely be enough, as we've seen with ERPPCs.

#178 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

View PostFupDup, on 07 September 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

3 Heavy LL with only 3 extra DHS? You'd basically be a neutered version of the Direstar at that rate.

And only 45t...

That's why I used a second example of on HLL+2cERML+7 extra DHS+TC Mk.1 and still have 1t and 2 crits left over (not cirts in the same section...)

#179 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

That's a huge nerf.

#180 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,760 posts

This would make them too bad compared to just stacking ERMLs.

47 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users