#181 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostStormie, on 07 September 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

You must have been listening to those who hear what they want to hear. Ghost bear just wanted to make the place as unattractive to mercs as possible, and didn't like the ghost drops any more than the next person. Notice now that the mercs are mostly gone we are back to attacking rasalhague?

Wish loyalist could just vote out merc units from their faction. Would save having to vote for ghost drops to get ride of them and would actually mean that being a merc has a down side.

Man merc units have been the bane of community warfare since the beginning. They seal clubbed the population almost to extinction but then PGI didn't exactly stop them doing it either.

#182 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 01 November 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

Wish loyalist could just vote out merc units from their faction. Would save having to vote for ghost drops to get ride of them and would actually mean that being a merc has a down side.

Man merc units have been the bane of community warfare since the beginning. They seal clubbed the population almost to extinction but then PGI didn't exactly stop them doing it either.

Thats cause the loretard loyalist units didnt want to get with the times and play the best way. What GB did in regards to mercs was stupid at best. Instead of trying to learn from them you just thumbed your noses and still derp just like you used to.

Bad leaders are bad!

Edited by Carl Vickers, 01 November 2016 - 07:44 PM.

#183 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

Loyalists, in a few factions now, that forced ghost drops have essentially killed off the last of the population (mercs) in the last 2 months.

The units I would regularly drop with have all but stopped for the occassional night of 3-4 matches. I think I've played 4-5 FP matches in ~4 weeks. Instead I just group with them for QPs (or the opponents I'd usually face haha).

Incidentally I checked the leaderboard the other day and I've dropped like 4 spots after not playing basically for a month... So clearly it's not just me that has given up, everyone else has as well.

Well done ghost drop voters. You guys actually killed the last of the population. Not even joking.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 01 November 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#184 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,811 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

View PostCount Zero74, on 09 September 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

Who said anything about a One Bukkit Solution?

8 contested Planets per attack phase in a Tug-of-war system (as requested by players in the round table) that makes 4 bukkits if my math is right.

4 factions (buckets) + tug of war + honor system* is probibly the best way to go. four factions is the best way to balance population. the most populous side pretty much fights everyone, the least populous only fights the most populous, the other 2 may fight eachother or the most populous. so its a good topology to balance the load. it doesnt even need to be leveled out to work. but if you wanted it leveled out, more bonuses and desertion penalties would be waived if you move to a less populated faction.

tug of war helps skill balance better, as you are not filtering out pugs from units by having separate attack and defend queues. honor system lets units opt into fairer games by trading waves for fatter bonuses and extra sectors if you win. also the ability to opt in for unit v unit games only, or better yet a fully featured fued system where units can hold grudges against eachother and schedule regular fights. holding planets means you have enemies that also want those planets and can challenge you directly for them, also giving planets more meaning.

and if all that doesnt work, 8v8.

#185 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

Merc units have been gaming the system from day dot. They have been seal clubbing the snot out of the population with a join us and play our way or suffer attitude. Now your going to blame the few loyalists left for voting for ghost drops to get rid of unwanted Merc units from their faction.

Do Merc units really want to work for a faction that doesn't want them? Why not just go elsewhere? Gee go stomp the faction that doesn't want them if that makes them feel better.

Bottom line is gamers are going to game the system. PGI control the system. If they wanted to build a large and stable FW community then they should have clamped down on the big Merc unit's actions way back when people were complaining about them. If they don't want IS PUGs to loath scouting missions then give them SSRM6. In the same vain, if they don't want loyalists to vote for ghost drops to get ride of Merc units then let loyalists vote them out of their respective faction.

Edited by SeventhSL, 01 November 2016 - 10:12 PM.

#186 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:16 PM

Merc units are the only ones seal clubbing are they? Did you really just try and pretend being a "loyalist" means that doesn't happen, or are you just dumb?

EG (real world one too btw):
When Ghost Bear attack Kurita, as they did 2-3 days ago with a 12-man of loyalists. And then face a bunch of IS PUGs over and over.

That somehow is, not, seal clubbing now?

It's people with the view that you have, the one that makes no sense btw, that has killed off FP for everyone else. Everyone clubs, that is the nature of how the game is setup. Don't sit here and pretend, as a loyalist, it suddenly "doesn't happen".

And yeah, the Mercs went to Wolf and voted to attack GB from memory. Of course, the bear teams again just let everyone ghost drop. Wouldn't show for a fight.

Population, killed.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 01 November 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#187 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

So because Merc units relise early on that choice of being able to play both is better and getting really good at both quickly, means they were gaming the system. A system that is badly designed deserves to get gamed and it doesnt come much worse designed than CW/FW.

No wonder GB never amounted to anything in CW/FW 1, 2 and 3, the bear was supposed to be great and roar, instead all we get a whimper.

Every unit that gets a 12 man up and running clubs seals, that just organised vs pug play. Thats more bad design from PGI.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 01 November 2016 - 10:24 PM.

#188 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:26 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 01 November 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

Do Merc units really want to work for a faction that doesn't want them? Why not just go elsewhere? Gee go stomp the faction that doesn't want them if that makes them feel better.

Bottom line is gamers are going to game the system. PGI control the system. If they wanted to build a large and stable FW community then they should have clamped down on the big Merc unit's actions way back when people were complaining about them. If they don't want IS PUGs to loath scouting missions then give them SSRM6.

In the same vain, if they don't want loyalists to vote for ghost drops to get ride of Merc units then let loyalists vote them out of their respective faction.

First Paragraph - As a merc, I will go where I get a game, i do not care about backstory/ who we play. If there is no game QP for me. ( also CW sucks, no one has any skill or team play 90% of the time, bring 4 trial clan mechs and get 2500 damage is a joke)

Second Paragraph - hahahah what are you on about, IS has the better scouts and who in there right mind uses SSRMS ? IS have better mechs for scouting.

Third paragraph - you are just killing the game for the 50 of so people that like playing CW

Edited by live1991, 01 November 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#189 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:03 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 08 September 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

I agree that there needs to be some ideas to bring new players into the game and keep them for as long as possible but right now, we, as a community, need to decide if we want to keep CW alive or not. We play it, PGI will invest time and resources on it and maybe these ideas that you are hoping for will come to light. If we don't play it, PGI will make this one last stab at getting interest in CW and then let it die on the vine because no business will support a product that isn't bringing in revenue. I am not saying spend money here, I am saying play the mode.

...And to all those people who are constantly bringing PGI down and advocating or predicting it's failure, please do the rest of us a favor and go do something else with your valuable time. ...let the grown ups talk about what we can do to help this situation rather than fending off or arguing with people who don't care about the game. Just go away.

Apparently beggars can be choosers.

#190 BuckshotSchell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIn a private drop ship, on the way to your planet. Please have C-bills on hand.

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:15 AM

View PostSeventhSL, on 01 November 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

This is ridiculous! If it were not for MERCs there would have been even fewer matches than there was. I dont get the Merc hate. If you not douchey the Mercs will eventually get to your faction and help you. If you make yourself unactractive to them they wont and you will only help make the problems worse as far as; the Pug stomps and lack of drops.

Those of you that are Lore hounds seem to forget that mercenaries were an integral part of the "lore" of Battle tech. I think FW could have been done better and think we all agree on that. Maybe this action will bring some new blood into the mode and give PGI the time and impetus to do even more upgrading of the game mode. As was stated earlier though most of the loyalist teams were content to sit and ghost drop for hours, and some would actually vote away from fights. That seems like a pretty big reason for a lack of interest in FW to me. Really so what, the Mercs got their own rank tree to grind. It requires double the exp to reach each level as the loyalist tree, and before the change mercs could go from house to house collecting
goodies for house loyalty from each faction. They took that away when they went to the career path system.

Lets focus on getting the game mode breathing again, getting some fights and maybe some new players, and then just maybe PGI will sit up and say "hey lets keep working on this mode and give it some more polish like lore "immersion" or "lore".

When i want to focus on nothing but lore, I go play battletech, or read some books. When I want to shoot giant stompy robots, in a battletech inspired video game I play MWO. The two are not mutually exclusive, but they are also not the same. You can enjoy them both for what they are, and keep working to bring them more inline with each other, but not if all you can do is piss and moan and vote away from actual game play!

Edited by BuckshotSchell, 02 November 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#191 Danjo San

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

The same song over and over... You call out the problems, like large Groups switching to the same faction over and over, large groups draining the incentive of small units, mercs causing trouble with NAPs etc.

You keep getting the same answer: "If it wasn't for us you'd get less matches"

What I have been experiencing since day one speaks a different language!

#192 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:08 PM

You know, if everyone who says they don't play Faction Warfare because of wait times actually got in the queues, I feel like there'd be more than enough people to eliminate any possible wait times in the queues.

#193 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

Was only a matter of time before the 'big units are the problem' reared its head once more.

Even if every large unit basically stopped playing since Phase 3 launch and it was only the smaller ones left... But you know, facts have no place in illogical discussion.

#194 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:39 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 September 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

Yes but WHY is it not working?

I would say the lack of population is more due to:
  • no matchmaking, leading to casual players getting consistently stomped by 12-mans*
  • lack of variety and gameplay in maps ... narrow lanes, chokepoints that favor defenders
  • no real 'point' to winning... no logistics, no additional strategic rewards, unlocks etc.
  • obvious balance issues between Clan and IS. (Eg. Clans defending Boreal)
A FP match involves a a long wait before it starts, and then a long match (compared to quick play). What's being provided doesn't warrant the long wait.

* And some (not all) merc units made the situation worse by deliberately farming. Just like in real life, if you over-farm, nothing will grow in the field after a while.

Edited by Appogee, 02 November 2016 - 10:44 PM.

#195 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

View Postebolachan, on 08 September 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

did pgi speak to any drop commanders before putting forward this **** idea?

guess where they got the idea from.

Most forum goers rarely care about the details, so if you have been getting your info from reading post you are gonna end up misinformed about certain topics. Best to go straight to the sources, buts that is blasphemy around here.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 02 November 2016 - 11:06 PM.

#196 Mech Nuggets

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHalfway down in Curry Sauce

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:54 AM

I go to where I get the least amount of money! Follow the crowd and beat the seals. And F*** YO COUCH! Posted Image

#197 BuckshotSchell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIn a private drop ship, on the way to your planet. Please have C-bills on hand.

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:48 AM

So in the last two days have had 6 drops against Ghost Bear units. All basicly skittle pugs, on defense all they do is Gen rush, and on defense they try and seal club, PUG stomp, whatever you want to call it. Guess what on the the drops I was in they only won two of six. The point being for a bunch of people talking about being so honorable that they hate the Mercs for gaming the system and PUG stomping etc.... They sure seem to try and game the system when they get the chance.

Hypocrites suck.

#198 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,976 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

one of the down falls of CW was the nerf of tactics
so the only tactic is to rush in and try to out alpha the other team

I try not to cry about tactics I try to over come the other teams tactics

gen rush is a tactic
Mariks' trade mark was the gen rush often times they would take 2 light mechs in there drop decks

I don't see how you can call a team a hypocrite for using tactics

#199 BuckshotSchell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:21 AM

Oh I have no problem with gen rushing. It's just who it's coming from and thier insistance that they don't game the system. I think gen rushing is cheap but hey whatever. Also did you miss the part about them attempting to pug farm as well, which they clearly disapprove of the Mercs doing?

Edited by BuckshotSchell, 03 November 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#200 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostAppogee, on 02 November 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

I would say the lack of population is more due to:
  • no matchmaking, leading to casual players getting consistently stomped by 12-mans*
  • lack of variety and gameplay in maps ... narrow lanes, chokepoints that favor defenders
  • no real 'point' to winning... no logistics, no additional strategic rewards, unlocks etc.
  • obvious balance issues between Clan and IS. (Eg. Clans defending Boreal)

1. Long Tom
2. game play
3. Balance.
Not only between Clan and I.S. but also between Loyalist and mercs.

View PostSeventhSL, on 01 November 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

Bottom line is gamers are going to game the system. PGI control the system. If they wanted to build a large and stable FW community then they should have clamped down on the big Merc unit's actions way back when people were complaining about them.

PGI did nothing to build a stable faction warfare. PGI implemented a system that was easily exploitable and never once looked at it and made any changes. No checks and balances in the system. Fighting for a faction one week and against it the next week has no repercussions. Minimal penalties for joining all ready bloated faction (Jade Falcon) and not enough rewards for joining underpopulated factions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users