Jump to content

Bushwacker Art Contest!


113 replies to this topic

#81 Hank Wildcarde

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Yep - win or lose, ~20 hours happily spent with something fun to show for it.

Some great entries here - hope this competition is repeated in the future :)

Good luck everyone!

#82 imdrunkontea

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 September 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

great action, love the proportioning. Glad to see you doing some Btech stuff again!


Thank you! I've always loved non-humanoid designs, so I had to give it a shot :)

#83 Bishop Steiner

    ForumWarrior

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,095 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

if'n I were a bookie, my bets would be on:

First Place: jjm1
Posted Image

Second Place: Azmaat
Posted Image

Third Place: imdrunkontea
Posted Image

With the Runner Up going to: Project Dark Fox
Posted Image

a lot of cool entries, but those are the ones that grab me the most, feel most impressive, finished, etc.

Kind of nuts they all come in during the last stretch, on the same page, but can only guess some of the folks were taking time to really polish stuff up.

Regardless, congrats to whomever does win, and I enjoyed the effort made by everyone.

#84 Project Dark Fox

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

Quote

Kind of nuts they all come in during the last stretch, on the same page, but can only guess some of the folks were taking time to really polish stuff up.

The entry I was working on at the start was not coming out the way I wanted it to, I hated the angle and the approach I was taking, so I did it differently by going right back to actual pencil/pen on paper for the 'Mech in the span of 24 hours.

#85 Bishop Steiner

    ForumWarrior

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,095 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostProject Dark Fox, on 26 September 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

The entry I was working on at the start was not coming out the way I wanted it to, I hated the angle and the approach I was taking, so I did it differently by going right back to actual pencil/pen on paper for the 'Mech in the span of 24 hours.

Yeah. I actually hate the angle my piece is at, and am not very happy with it, but I just could not get the thing to click at any other angle. Truth to tell, I have always found the Bushwacker very hard to draw, for some reason, the proportions, angles, etc, just are so easy to mess up.

In fact, this was the first semi successful attempt, tbh... and I still am not remotely satisfied. :/

(Others than have long eluded me are the Uziel, and the Phoenix Hawk (unless I draw it straight up robotech)... sigh)

#86 MadHornet

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 481 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 September 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Yeah. I actually hate the angle my piece is at, and am not very happy with it, but I just could not get the thing to click at any other angle. Truth to tell, I have always found the Bushwacker very hard to draw, for some reason, the proportions, angles, etc, just are so easy to mess up.

In fact, this was the first semi successful attempt, tbh... and I still am not remotely satisfied. :/

(Others than have long eluded me are the Uziel, and the Phoenix Hawk (unless I draw it straight up robotech)... sigh)


I have the same issue with the Nova, or 'mechs that have an extending torso that isn't reasonably round. They end up looking too squished or misaligned with the pelvis. I got a strike of luck drawing the Adder that one time. The bushwacker wasn't too crazy as I saw the bottom of the torso was pretty straight so I drew a triangle with more triangles to get it going.

Edited by MadHornet, 26 September 2016 - 12:27 PM.


#87 Bishop Steiner

    ForumWarrior

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,095 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 26 September 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:


I have the same issue with the Nova, or 'mechs that have an extending torso that isn't reasonably round. They end up looking too squished or misaligned with the pelvis. I got a strike of luck drawing the Adder that one time. The bushwacker wasn't too crazy as I saw the bottom of the torso was pretty straight so I drew a triangle with more triangles to get it going.


Yup. Other thing I can find a real pain are feet/mech toes.

#88 mad kat

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 September 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Yeah. I actually hate the angle my piece is at, and am not very happy with it, but I just could not get the thing to click at any other angle. Truth to tell, I have always found the Bushwacker very hard to draw, for some reason, the proportions, angles, etc, just are so easy to mess up.


Kudos to anyone who has attempted to draw the bushwacker. I found it hard enough rearranging and modifying various mech parts to make a model of it in blender and even then I found it harder still to find a camera angle which would work. Which I'm still not convinced on.

So to everyone (that is everyone) who has a well proportioned drawn bushwacker give yourself a pat on the back.

#89 Luscious Dan

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 1,114 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

Yep, the Bushie is a very tricky one to capture, lots of complex parts and asymmetry. It totally weirded me out when I first noticed it only had 3 fingers. Lots of little nuances to the design. There's some excellent work in here (completely different styles and mediums as well), I don't envy the judges having to pick a top 3.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 26 September 2016 - 01:44 PM.


#90 Tina Benoit

    Community Manager

  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

Thank you everyone for your particiation! Lots of beautiful art, it was very difficult for us to pick only 3!

The 3 final winners have been chosen! See results below!

View Postjjm1, on 25 September 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

Here's mine Posted Image

Posted Image

Bonus fluff:

Spoiler



View Postimdrunkontea, on 25 September 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

Here's mine Posted Image


View PostAzmaat, on 26 September 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Greetings.
Posted Image

To bad i don't have enought time to texture it. But share this anyway.


#91 armyunit

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 899 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

Haha Bishop called it
Congrats to the winners!

#92 Bishop Steiner

    ForumWarrior

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,095 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 26 September 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

Thank you everyone for your particiation! Lots of beautiful art, it was very difficult for us to pick only 3!

The 3 final winners have been chosen! See results below!



View Postarmyunit, on 26 September 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

Haha Bishop called it
Congrats to the winners!


damn! I must be psychic!

(of course, TBH, I'm still holding out for the Assassin!!!! And there better be an art contest for it, or the Crusader, or whatever classic IS we get next! (after whatever Clan Mech that gets announced in the next week or so.... Nova Cat?)

#93 MadHornet

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 481 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Was really hoping to see a lego creation or Karl's modeling to take a spot. You know, something different.

#94 armyunit

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 899 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 September 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

(of course, TBH, I'm still holding out for the Assassin!!!! And there better be an art contest for it, or the Crusader, or whatever classic IS we get next! (after whatever Clan Mech that gets announced in the next week or so.... Nova Cat?)


Conjurer or bust
Wasp and Stinger or riot

#95 Mr Death

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

Bishop Steiner

(of course, TBH, I'm still holding out for the Assassin!!!!

YES. Will buy.

Edited by Mr Death, 26 September 2016 - 03:51 PM.


#96 Project Dark Fox

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

Congrats to the winners!

#97 TygerLily

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

Congrats!

#98 imdrunkontea

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:55 PM

Wow, nice prediction by Bishop Posted Image

Thank you for the placement! Congrats to the other artists, both the finalists and all the other submissions - there were some really cool pieces and ideas here!

Hope there will be a lot more contests in the future!

Edited by imdrunkontea, 26 September 2016 - 05:55 PM.


#99 Luscious Dan

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 1,114 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

Congrats to the winners, I saw jjm1's submission earlier and I figured that was for 100% going to be in the top 3 :D Well done everybody!

#100 jjm1

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:55 PM

Thanks, and congrats to the other winners.

Bring on the next comp, that was fun :D





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users