• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:53 AM

Hunka and Dazur,

You appear to have different concerns/issues. If I may:

I see Dazur as a bit fed up/annoyed by the perception that a small but vocal aspect of the old guard/founders/biter-vet portion of the community and its tendency to complain about all and everything that PGI (and Russ in particular) does or fails to do. Yes, many just complain to complain, and offer nothing but their suggestions in the form of more complaints. Yes. That does get old.

I see Hunka's point more directed at the fact that yes there is bitterness in the community, but that biterness is completely justified in that there has often been some good input from the community to PGI, but then PGI ignores that input for the most part...see his reference to the Round Table its community input and consequence. Being ignored by PGI, particularly when they ask for said input does get old too.

To my mind these are related and both stem from PGI's track record of utterly terrible community interaction. Be it by way of Russ and his twitter exclusivity; the lack of any meaningful community manager representation on 99% of topics of concern raised by the community; the NGNG podcasts which exist only as a pretense of community interaction, but are actually a means for Russ to engage in self-congratulatory propaganda, since as we all know the game has never been better, and anyone thinking otherwise is on an island; etc.

Anyway, I think you both have a point, but in the end I think it all comes back to PGI and the perceived way it fails to engage the community. Are they going to apologize to those who feel they got screwed back in the day? No. Their failure to address these folks and their concerns (or god forbid just say "we are sorry for misleading you then and now, and we hope to be more transparent in the future") has allowed a sense of entitled bitterness to fester and spread; and only PGI and its conduct can fix that. Alas, I don't think PGI really sees a problem or cares enough to address it, and so the bitterness will continue to spread no matter what PGI does with the game or its content.

Just my 2 c-bills.

Edit, wow that got long winded, sorry.

Edited by Bud Crue, 02 October 2016 - 04:53 AM.

#162 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

Complaining about run-of-the-mill things like nerfs is not the same thing as complaining because of the big gaping hole where the endgame is supposed to be.

If this game has no endgame, it's not worth playing.

If the devs are going to plan other games instead of ever finishing this one, then this one is pretty much over. I don't think anyone wants it to be over, but it will be.

Just as some people will complain about nerfs and such, some people will complain about the community. It's one thing if you're truly satisfied with the state of the game. Then, you have every right to tell other people not to complain. On the other hand, what I'm hearing is "I know it's all messed up, but stop complaining." That's enabling.

“‘My country, right or wrong,’ is a thing that no patriot would think of saying. It is like saying, ‘My mother, drunk or sober.'”

--GK Chesterton

Edited by Hunka Junk, 02 October 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#163 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostAppogee, on 30 September 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

Classic expectation mismanagement.

If he'd not hyped up 'new content, not a new chassis' I'd have seen this as mildly positive.

Instead, when I saw what it was, I just felt "oh crap, YAMP, he can't be serious".

'New Content' doesn't imply anything.

Content in this game could be:
-Mechs
-Maps (Map overhauls wouldn't count as 'new', but are still content)
-Game Modes
-Customization (Skins, Decals, Colors, Cockpit Items, etc)
-Weapons
-Equipment
-Art Assets (like the dropships)
-A Campaign

People complaining about Mechs not being content need to think about what they say. It may not be the content they wanted, or that they assumed (Come on, we all know the saying. When you assume, you make an *** out of u and me.) it was going to be, but mechs are still content and in a game about those mechs called MECHWARRIOR, its actually one of the core content components.

I understand some people are frustrated with more mechs and not getting other things, but even with the Clan Heroes, its been requested to have Clan Omni heroes for a long time now. They may have been slow getting it done, but I personally understand the want to not overpower or underpower these chassis or simply have them been replicable with standard omnipods.

Anyways...
With that out of the way, Russ could tweet and tease this stuff a lot better. I do agree that his tweet sounds like brand new content, not just new, additional variation to existing content.

#164 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 02 October 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

People complaining about Mechs not being content need to think about what they say.

People who don't get why "not a new chassis" turning out to be "Hero versions of existing chassis" would be disappointing, and who go on to argue that "chassis are content" - as if that is relevant - need to think about what they say.

Edited by Appogee, 02 October 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#165 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

And if we get:

-Mechs
-Customization (Skins, Decals, Colors, Cockpit Items, etc)

are you cool with that?

Edited by Hunka Junk, 02 October 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#166 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostAppogee, on 02 October 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

People who don't get why "not a new chassis" turning out to be "Hero versions of existing chassis" would be disappointing, and who go on to argue that "chassis are content" - as if that is relevant - need to think about what they say.

I think it boils down to whether the player believes that this is new content or not - not the Developer.

We can argue until our echoes are heard from the moon, but It all boils down to what the player believes, and that's whats happening here.

#167 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 October 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

I think it boils down to whether the player believes that this is new content or not - not the Developer.

We can argue until our echoes are heard from the moon, but It all boils down to what the player believes, and that's whats happening here.

Sound can't travel through space.

:3

It's an abusive relationship caused by ignorance. I don't think PGI are malevolent in their poor decision or lack of progress. They're way in over their heads. But they can't/don't want to admit it. And until they do they won't seek help to improve this profounding mediocrity.

Instead what they are doing is walking down the street completely naked. They ignore anyone who's telling them they're naked. Acknowledging the truth, that the game isn't that good, is too destructive to their reality.

And reality is what you make it.

Posted Image

#168 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:02 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 02 October 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Sound can't travel through space.

:3

It's an abusive relationship caused by ignorance. I don't think PGI are malevolent in their poor decision or lack of progress. They're way in over their heads. But they can't/don't want to admit it. And until they do they won't seek help to improve this profounding mediocrity.

Instead what they are doing is walking down the street completely naked. They ignore anyone who's telling them they're naked. Acknowledging the truth, that the game isn't that good, is too destructive to their reality.

And reality is what you make it.

Posted Image

This. This is pretty much PGI in a nutshell. I don't believe they are or ever have been truly malicious. Just incompetent and overestimating of their own abilities. That doesn't make their stupidity any less infuriating or less deserving of scorn, however.

#169 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostMole, on 02 October 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

I don't believe they are or ever have been truly malicious.

Really? Blatantly lying for a year about both their intentions and progress in coding Community Warfare seemed fairly malicious to me.

#170 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 02 October 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

The Emperor's New Clothes?

The Emperor's New Clothes" (Danish: Kejserens nye Klæder) is a short tale by Hans Christian Andersen about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes that is invisible on those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, no one dares to say that they don't see any suit of clothes until a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!" The tale has been translated into over 100 languages.[1]

#171 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostRed Shrike, on 02 October 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

The Emperor's New Clothes?

Yes. Except PGI doesn't even have a talking llama.

#172 Alexii

• PipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 77 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 02 October 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

Yes. Except PGI doesn't even have a talking llama.

Groovy joke. +1

#173 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

People complaining about Mechs not being content need to think about what they say.

You mean like this guy??? :)

Posted Image

#174 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:42 PM

Cushy office job.
No one he needs to report to.
Bags of money.

...... Im sure Russ is quite content !!!

#175 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

More "content" coming this week!

For pre-order, of course

#176 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:45 PM

I am having fun

maybe some need to take a break

#177 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:50 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 16 October 2016 - 10:45 PM, said:

I am having fun

maybe some need to take a break

I've taken a "break" since feb... I'm pretty close to walking off MWO entirely. If Dec is a let down I'll have no choice but to wash my hands of it. I've waited a whole year after CW p3 and nothing I've wanted has been announced as being worked on. It's all been dangled like a carrot in front of me.

#178 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:31 AM

When I see this, I think the game is already on life support and PGI is just trying to milk as much as possible

#179 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:10 AM

View PostWecx, on 29 September 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

PGI has till Battletech comes out next year, otherwise i am going to leave this game and never look back.

Well then the Joke will still be on you. HBS's BattleTech game is buying its Mech Models and assets from PGI. So even after you leave, you will still be buying PGI's Mechs. Then you will just be buying them, all over again, from HBS under their "BattleTech" banner. LOL! Posted Image

Edited by Almond Brown, 17 October 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#180 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 30 September 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

Meanwhile at Mechcon...

PGI; Great news! We're shutting down mw:o and starting MLP:O and relaunching Transverse 2.0 with Founder packs! Would you like to buy a pony pack?

HBS: Great News! We bought out P.G.I assets and all their former art department employees! Yes Alex is among them now working for us!

MW:O players: Umm woo hoo?

This really isn't going to improve matters.

MWO and Battletech are completely different games, as other people have pointed out.

As much as I'm all fanboi over what HBS are doing, and they are making a far more lore accurate presentation of the franchise, if that was to be the only outlet for Battle tech fans will we still be playing it four and a half years down the line in the kind of numbers that are still playing this 'terrible' game.

I don't think so.

P.G.I have done some pretty terrible things, and I dread it when they announce they are revisiting something or going to improve things, because their actions rarely do, and often make things worse.

However, for all the angst and toxic comments, and I've made plenty myself out of pure frustration how many games still get played on a daily basis for so long a period ?

Many of us might hate what P.G.I are doing to 'our' game, but by any business targets people gauge success on, this game has been one.

View PostMcgral18, on 16 October 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

More "content" coming this week!

For pre-order, of course

Tomorrow in fact

Yay us !

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users