17 Days Advertising For Beer Industry Isnt Too Long ?

41 replies to this topic

#21 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 October 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

That was the best town hall ever.

Yeah, some people find it amusing. My point is simply this:

I don't think PGI has a very puritanical relationship with alcohol. In fact, I do believe this game has more beer-related cockpit items than lore-related cockpit items. So it's probably best to adjust expectations accordingly.

#22 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:28 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 October 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Yeah, some people find it amusing. My point is simply this:

I don't think PGI has a very puritanical relationship with alcohol. In fact, I do believe this game has more beer-related cockpit items than lore-related cockpit items. So it's probably best to adjust expectations accordingly.

You must be fun at parties! Posted Image

While I don't mind having a beer while I play.

But I think if you are in public and try to advertise your product or even talk about it, you should stay in a sober-ish state. I mean you're the face of the game, don't get drunk and all. Having a beer and some chat is one thing, but that townhall meeting was kinda inappropriate.

And I say that as a german, we're basically as drunk as the irish all the time.

Edited by 627, 04 October 2016 - 03:28 AM.

#23 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

View Post627, on 04 October 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

You must be fun at parties! Posted Image

I'm not fun in general. :)

View Post627, on 04 October 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

While I don't mind having a beer while I play.
But I think if you are in public and try to advertise your product or even talk about it, you should stay in a sober-ish state. I mean you're the face of the game, don't get drunk and all. Having a beer and some chat is one thing, but that townhall meeting was kinda inappropriate.
And I say that as a german, we're basically as drunk as the irish all the time.

I don't want to say that a developer should do one thing or the other. I guess you mean "should" in the sense of "what is best for your company" rather than "what is proper in the eyes of God". But if PGI's profile was "we're a wacky PC gaming company and we like to shoot stuff, get drunk and get high", then there's nothing wrong with that. I'm all about freedom. They can drop acid while presenting the cockpit of the next mech pack, for all I care.

What's weird is that I still can't write B O O B I E S without getting censored, like this is a forum for children whose fragile minds must be protected from the grotesque reality of human anatomy. And yet they're publishing drunken town hall videos on the front page? PGI seems to have difficulty picking a clear direction, on many levels.

#24 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:10 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 October 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

PGI seems to have difficulty picking a clear direction, on many levels.

There might be a direct correlation with the beer consumtion Posted Image

#25 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

It'd be far more egalitarian if the Atlas was also smoking.

And I don't mean from a hit.

Or maybe I do.

#26 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:47 AM

View Post627, on 04 October 2016 - 04:10 AM, said:

There might be a direct correlation with the beer consumtion Posted Image

Meh, they need to take a look at every alcoholic's paragon: Christopher Hitchens. That man never let some beer, a bottle of whisky and half a bottle of wine get in the way of business.

#27 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:58 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 October 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

Meh, they need to take a look at every alcoholic's paragon: Christopher Hitchens. That man never let some beer, a bottle of whisky and half a bottle of wine get in the way of business.

I had the pleasure of seeing two of his debates and one of his readings. And while he was always spot on, sharper than a razor, and utterly cognizant of being the smartest person in the room (regardless if that were true or not). I always felt that whenever he spoke of his various exploits regarding imbibing that there was always just a whiff of exaggeration. Before he died, I had fantasized about coming across him in a bar and putting him to the test. I think I could have taken him. Either way it would have been a hell of a drinking story. Alas.

#28 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:54 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 04 October 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

I had the pleasure of seeing two of his debates and one of his readings. And while he was always spot on, sharper than a razor, and utterly cognizant of being the smartest person in the room (regardless if that were true or not). I always felt that whenever he spoke of his various exploits regarding imbibing that there was always just a whiff of exaggeration. Before he died, I had fantasized about coming across him in a bar and putting him to the test. I think I could have taken him. Either way it would have been a hell of a drinking story. Alas.

I don't see any reason to doubt him. The thing with alcoholics, as you know, is that they build amazing resistance over time. And how childish it would be to exaggerate about drinking habits. But that would have made for a good story, certainly. :)

#29 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 04 October 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

I dunno. Maybe if it was just him saying that stuff... but others have spoken of how much he drank, and pretty much everyone who knew him agrees that he was a catastrophic drinker who's piss was probably flammable.

#30 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 03 October 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

I don't include American beer as an alcoholic beverage. No one drinks it outside the USA.

You would be surprised how few drink it in the states too, mostly college kids from what i see.

View PostVorpalAnvil, on 03 October 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

I see that you are grossly ignorant of American craft beer:

http://mybeercellar.com/

Craft beers are great, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to this day is one of my favs and its made in CA. But thats not what most think when American beer comes up unfortunately. We are labeled as Budweiser and Zima drinkers.

Edited by Revis Volek, 04 October 2016 - 06:58 AM.

#31 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:47 AM

View PostHerr Vorragend, on 03 October 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

The american state department published a warning for american visitors of the Oktoberfest. The seventh of the fifteen warning says:

Oktoberfest beer is stronger than you think! And especially plentyful when you drink it from a "Maß" (the liter glass). One traditional Maß of Oktoberfest beer has the same alcohol content as four 12-ounce American beers.

Why is american beer like making love in a canoe? Because its ####### close to water.

View PostRevis Volek, on 04 October 2016 - 06:41 AM, said:

You would be surprised how few drink it in the states too, mostly college kids from what i see.

Canadian women drink american beer because the body mass / blood supply is smaller so it takes less alcohol to render them incoherent as a PGI president...its also typically cheaper...because american brewers essentially need to give it away to get foreigners to drink it.

#32 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:48 AM

Huh ... Originally, this topic was a big joke about alcoohol part Posted Image
This atlas is funny but i am pretty sure some puritans people don't like it.

I just think the event is a bit too long in same time too easy each day and not dragging people for play the game ...
Me for example i play 4 matchs then i stop play simply, well without event i won't even play 4 matchs someday ( my scores, KMDDs and kills are good no problem with that is just the game itself :) )

With a 17 days long event, it mean there is not others kind of event during 3 weeks.
This game need lance events, FW events or events like octoberfest but not during 3 weeks... well pretty sure PGI will gave a nice halloween event with lots ^^

#33 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:01 AM

For all those who argue about to long of an event ... let me point out the biggest thing about this event.

85 x 95,000 = 8,075,000 Cbills

So yeah, long event = big payday. I wish it was more but hey I take what I can get. Also 400 MC with some cockpit items.

#34 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 04 October 2016 - 06:41 AM, said:

Crappy, flavorless, weak, etc. American Beers and Brewers:

Dogfish Head Brewery. You name a style and they probably have an extreme version of it. Recommend: World Wide Stout. Varies yearly but can be up to 20% ABV. Try their 120 Minute IPA if you are into IPAs.

Great Lakes Brewing out of Cleveland OH makes some excellent beers. Great Lakes Porter and Blackout Stout are smooth and rich. Not particularly high ABV, but delicious nonetheless. Their Nosferatu Red Imperial is awesome too.

Deschutes Brewery out of Oregon. Have yet to have a bad beer from them. The Abyss 2015 is one of the most delicious beers I have ever had.

Bells Brewery in Kalamazoo MI. Lots of tastiness. Their Expedition stout is wonderful.

Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids MI. No bad or weak beers here. ReDankulous, Rubeaus and Dirty *******, just to name a few are so distinct and so flavorful you would never suspect that they came from the same brewery.

Central Waters Brewing in Amherst, WI. Lots of variety and flavor (and inexpensive too).

Local favorites: Fulton and Surly breweries in Minneapolis. Anything they make is full of flavor and will knock your beer snob socks off. Sweet Child of Vine is a particularly smooth IPA that even a newcomer to IPAs can handle. Surly Darkness is usually so rich that you might get gout after a couple of swallows.

I and others could go on for days. The point is that if you like beer, nearly every decent sized community in the US right now has at least one brewery and they are all trying to out do each other. Weak beer? If you are drinking weak beer it isn't the "American beer" I am drinking. I'll take anything the brewers around here are selling over the tap water they serve at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich any day.

#35 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

Hey, come to think on it, what about auto racing sponsorship? Cars can have beer and other alcoholic beverage advertising, but not tobacco. Kind of a match made in heaven, am I right... a fast cars and alcohol connection for the kids?!

#36 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 04 October 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

For all those who argue about to long of an event ... let me point out the biggest thing about this event.

So yeah, long event = big payday. I wish it was more but hey I take what I can get. Also 400 MC with some cockpit items.

8.075.000 cbills in best of case equal 118.750 cbills * 4 match per day * 17 days.
I say best of case, cause everybody won't get the KMDD they need every match Posted Image

For be simple take:
200.000 cbills average payload of a standard match. ( i could take 240.000 cbills if you want )
100.000 cbills bonus can be considere as 50% cbills bonus for one standard match in average ok..? ( yea i could take )
Also IF you complete the total event we can considere you get as reward a 50% cbills bonus FOR 4 MATCH PER DAY and for this you have to play 4 matchs minimal doing yours KMDD eveyday... OK BUT.

Don't complete one day you will won 7.200.000 also Cbills bonus isn't 50% anymore but less
Don't complete 2 day you will won 6.375.000 Cbills fall again...
How many people will just stop after 8 days in your opinion ( 8 days for get 400 MC ) .. ?
Complete only 8 days you will get 2.000.000 cbills bonus, also 31% cbills bonus ( cause 200.000 * 40 = 6.400.000 )

Considering in same time like for any event it change players behaviors for example encourage some YOLO farmers or sheeps effect ( everybody rush same target ).
17 days yea is too much and i don't think Cbills bonus will be so important/massive specially for casuals players.
Think that if PGI gave ya premium time like they do (TY) for most part of previous events you may get more cbills for less time spending, a week for example. Posted Image

Edited by Idealsuspect, 04 October 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#37 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 04 October 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

17 days yea is too much and i don't think Cbills bonus will be so important/massive specially for casuals players.

This event is actually beautiful running right up to the release of the Loyalty Mechs. I'll have a busy day on patch day... Huntsman package, Blackjack, Cataphract and a Hellbringer. I'm generally C-Bill starved and gladly bought two Hellbringers during the Heavy Mech sale, so the eight million C-Bills are a welcome addition to help replenish my bank roll. I know I'll need it to upgrade some of those Inner Sphere Mechs once they are injected into my account.

#38 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 04 October 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

It's still a Paulconomy figure in the Great Mech Depression.

It boils down to 450k 475k per day... which is still meh in the grand scheme of things.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 October 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

I'm not fun in general. Posted Image

Don't tell anyone this. It'll be between you and me.

I don't want to say that a developer should do one thing or the other. I guess you mean "should" in the sense of "what is best for your company" rather than "what is proper in the eyes of God". But if PGI's profile was "we're a wacky PC gaming company and we like to shoot stuff, get drunk and get high", then there's nothing wrong with that. I'm all about freedom. They can drop acid while presenting the cockpit of the next mech pack, for all I care.

What's weird is that I still can't write B O O B I E S without getting censored, like this is a forum for children whose fragile minds must be protected from the grotesque reality of human anatomy. And yet they're publishing drunken town hall videos on the front page? PGI seems to have difficulty picking a clear direction, on many levels.

I dunno, we're better off having a PGI drinking game where drinking to "mechpack" already requires you to go into rehab immediately.

Edited by Deathlike, 04 October 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#39 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

American Beer Vs the World. To the people who are not Americans that believe the only beer in America is Miller, Buds, and Coors ... you are wrong.

Wiki with lists by the state: https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

So please come to the United States and try a beer from one of the breweries mentioned in the wiki lists not Miller, Buds, and Coors. I suggest Great Lakes, Maumee Bay, Father Johns, Witches Hat, or maybe even Goose Island.

#40 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 04 October 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

It'd be far more egalitarian if the Atlas was also smoking.

And I don't mean from a hit.

Or maybe I do.

Yeah, a cigar and tophat like the Urbie bobblehead has...haha.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users