#141 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Figured you might like these, Karl.

Pulled these from the Mechwarrior guide to Solaris VII.

Posted Image
Munitions.

An approximate scale for Stalker?
Posted Image
Take note: There's a second image with a Stalker on the page after this, its scale is roughly similar compared to people around it even if the actual Stalker is further away.

#142 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

If not for a youtube video about the Archer, I would not have started to work on the Thumper.... but I did saw this video and it was the final jigsaw piece for the concept

Spoiler

scaling issue?
Spoiler

Edited by Karl Streiger, 17 April 2018 - 04:54 AM.

#143 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 06 January 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

First off, well done!

Secondly, I'm not sure a guass rifle would actually require recoil damping, as it is using a pulsing magnetic field to pull the round up the barrel, rather than an explosion pushing the round up the barrel.

These threads have had this argument before, but let's review the very basics of Newton's laws: Yes, a gauss rifle would create an enormous amount of recoil. Equal reaction, dude. Push or pull, the gun is still having to react to hurling 100kg at Mach 5+.

In other words, magnets =/= magic.

#144 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:05 AM

.... it has been a while that I did post anything new.... well the reason is - I stopped working with Sketchup and are relearning all the stuff again with blender..... (animation and physics that doesn't cost extra is to good to ignore)

so after some hours into the new program (and two sketchup imports - doesn't really work well)
Spoiler

#145 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 06 June 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

.... it has been a while that I did post anything new.... well the reason is - I stopped working with Sketchup and are relearning all the stuff again with blender..... (animation and physics that doesn't cost extra is to good to ignore)

so after some hours into the new program (and two sketchup imports - doesn't really work well)
Spoiler

I like the twin 185's version more. That said, wonderful work as usual Karl.

#146 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 19 June 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

I like the twin 185's version more. That said, wonderful work as usual Karl.

---well currently I stick with one gun Posted Image

I know BT had their standard weapon sizes - but two full featured 185mm autol oadees doesn't make sense - when a hit cripple one gun it will also disable the second.

Currently the turret looks like a mix of challenger, armata and leopard - (need to add K2 and merkava to the mix) - also will provide some different weapon load outs.... the idea came when i saw a Visigoth of Heavy Gear - with two SnubNose Cannons.... and there we go.

The Demolisher (to demolish stuff) in its main version is armed with two short barreld 185mm autoloading howitzers that lob huge 185mm shells - howerver the Demo- Tank Hunter will run a single 203mm semi-auto-cannon.

In BT stats out of the blue
  • Assault Howitzer = Sniper Cannon (maybe less range for more damage)
  • Super Heavy Semi Auto Cannon - Damage 18, heat 7, min 1, short 4, medium 11, long 18

#147 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 19 June 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

---well currently I stick with one gun Posted Image

I know BT had their standard weapon sizes - but two full featured 185mm autol oadees doesn't make sense - when a hit cripple one gun it will also disable the second.

Currently the turret looks like a mix of challenger, armata and leopard - (need to add K2 and merkava to the mix) - also will provide some different weapon load outs.... the idea came when i saw a Visigoth of Heavy Gear - with two SnubNose Cannons.... and there we go.

The Demolisher (to demolish stuff) in its main version is armed with two short barreld 185mm autoloading howitzers that lob huge 185mm shells - howerver the Demo- Tank Hunter will run a single 203mm semi-auto-cannon.

In BT stats out of the blue
  • Assault Howitzer = Sniper Cannon (maybe less range for more damage)
  • Super Heavy Semi Auto Cannon - Damage 18, heat 7, min 1, short 4, medium 11, long 18

For your S.H.S.A.C., maybe push the damage down to 17 if you want to keep that rage profile, or lower the range to 4/8/12 to keep the damage profile...

Otherwise solid work!

#148 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

Oh oh . what happens when you scale up a 30mm cannon to be a 105mm gun?
Well this:
Spoiler

no way they fit even it this large tank..... ok with 100 caliber lengths the guns are very very huge

#149 Kozuth

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCentral Valley California

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

Here is a real world Rail gun and ammunition comparisons.
Compliments US Millitary
Yes they are in the field today.

https://www.bing.com...18&&FORM=VRDGAR

Posted Image

Edited by Lt Leeroy Jenkins, 13 July 2018 - 08:21 PM.

#150 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

You are not the man we deserve, but the man we need.

#151 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

View PostLt Leeroy Jenkins, on 13 July 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

Here is a real world Rail gun and ammunition comparisons.
Compliments US Millitary
Yes they are in the field today.

https://www.bing.com...18&&FORM=VRDGAR

Posted Image

Well I was not so far away from real world, didn't I?

For those that might be interested with blenders animation support I'm working on a "animated" version of the Schreck/Demolisher Combination.

#152 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:55 AM

The picture of the Poland Main A on the DA vehicles Behemoth II, Marksman MBT and Regulator II looks more like a kind of rail gun.... but hey at least its the same picture on 3 different vehicles were it was dozen of forms and barrels in the "old" TROs.

Posted Image

while watching Transformers 5....
Posted Image

Edited by Karl Streiger, 02 August 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#153 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:20 AM

Posted Image
After several hours of working with blender i started with the unambitious project to create a workable archer. Or in other words a archer that could be plausible. After several minutes in the project beginning with the MWO Archer - I recognized two things: the rocket pods are to small, the cockpit is unusable and the laser is placed in a bad position. So - i redesigned the rocket pod (the left (open)) - the long rocket is the Doombud artillery missile (30 per pod - each weights around 180kg - a door in the rear opens for the back blast (this also allows to reload the missiles quite fast by a J27. The other missile is the Kurita Shigunga multipurpose missile - however there is not option to reload the missiles through a door in the back. The shorter missile is necessary to house the bigger laser apparatus for the bigger Diverse Type 10 Large Laser In work is the Lyran version with Coventry Starfire multipurpose missiles with TharHes Maxi SRM in the pod, as well as the Holly LRM and SRM armed Wolf[color=#000000]After several hours of working with blender i started with the unambitious project to create a workable archer.[/color]
[color=#000000]Or in other words a archer that could be plausible.[/color]

[color=#000000]After several minutes in the project beginning with the MWO Archer - I recognized two things: the rocket pods are to small, the cockpit is unusable and the laser is placed in a bad position.[/color]

[color=#000000]So - i redesigned the rocket pod (the left (open)) - the long rocket is the Doombud artillery missile (30 per pod - each weights around 180kg - a door in the rear opens for the back blast (this also allows to reload the missiles quite fast by a J27.[/color]

[color=#000000]The other missile is the Kurita Shigunga multipurpose missile - however there is not option to reload the missiles through a door in the back. The shorter missile is necessary to house the bigger laser apparatus for the bigger Diverse Type 10 Large Laser[/color]

[color=#000000]In work is the Lyran version with Coventry Starfire multipurpose missiles with TharHes Maxi SRM in the pod, as well as the Holly LRM and SRM armed Wolf's Dragoon version.[/color]

[color=#000000]As mentioned I'm also creating a cockpit - its not very comfortable and the only window is somewhere at the feet of the pilot (only necessary for maneuvering in a hangar) [/color]
[color=#000000]You can see a quick test were some kind of doors are open (although when i consider the amount and weight of the armor at this location this might not be very practicable. with only 70cm width the cockpit also doesn't have much room for the pilot to move around.[/color]

#154 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

How much time do you get to work on these in a given day?

#155 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

Also a rail gun has a lot of recoil spread over a lot of small things which is why it seems nonexistent.

Much like why tanks use tracks or multi wheel designs. The more wheels to distribute the weight the less likely it will sink under its own weight even though those wheels get smaller and smaller for the greater number that you use. In the same way the recoil is spread. Unlike a typical gun where all the recoil focuses on a single movement or several movements as a way of reducing its impact, there are dozens to hundreds of magnets to take and distribute that recoil. Even more so those each only contribute a portion of the force and as such get back only an equal amount.... Instead of one thing applying and getting the brunt of the force.

In that way Hausa rifles would have a lot of recoil....and look like it has almost none.

#156 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 12 September 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

How much time do you get to work on these in a given day?

On the average 2hrs or less a day. Sometimes when the childs sleep early, i have the moot enough chocolate and the right music even 6hrs are possible.
Still hope that things become faster when i have enough "greeble" (ducts, fans, viewports, eg)

View PostKoniving, on 12 September 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

Also a rail gun has a lot of recoil spread over a lot of small things which is why it seems nonexistent.

Projectile:
Of course the mechanical work is distributed over some time (the time the projectile is in the barrel) but ... when you have a
Projectile that has a v0 of 2000m/s and weights 50kg - you have a E0 of 100 MJ.
The Gun:
accelerator is 6m in length, and the whole moving part of the Gauss might weight 5t.
Mech:
Hollander of course
Momentum of body
mg*vg +mp*vp = 0
vg = mp*vp/mg
=50*2000/5000
= 20m/s
So Er (recoil energy) = 1MJ

Mechanical work:
accelerator lenght = s; v = 2000m/s
so how many seconds is the projectile in the accelerator?
t=2s/v
= 6ms

So the mechanical work to accelerate the Projectile are 16.6GW and the recoil work are 166 MW.
You don't want your gun moving backwards while the projectile is still in the barrel so you have some mechanical or myomer recoil buffers in check that will transfer those parts of energy to the chassis.

Speaking of chassis... lets consider our Hollander don't need recoilbuffers... because does a human need a recoil buffer when firing a gun?
momentum of Hollander?
=50*2000/35000
= 2ms

my first love (ok it was my third) a G3 had a recoil velocity of 3m/s.
The only difference is that the Hollander weights 35t while i did only weight 100kg. So the Hollander need to compensate for much more recoil energy but in the end he was designed to do this.

#157 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

Posted Image
WIP for the SturmFeur....

just the concept (engine in front) where to stow the missiles - how are those missiles deployed and located.... need some ideas

#158 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:11 AM

And the Beast is on its swing back.... say hello to the "Blood of the Isle"....
Posted Image

ever wondered how the "armored AC varriant might look like?"
considering its franken status - maybe like this?
Posted Image

#159 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

Tools of Trade Part 1: The LPPC
(Left to Right; Donal; Fusigon Short Tooth; Defiance 1001; Ceres Arms Smasher)

Posted Image

Edited by Karl Streiger, 27 September 2018 - 08:21 AM.

#160 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

No picture but an update, I've started to rebuild my workflow.
Instead of adding all the details at once or adding animation to a parts, I've started to go the different route

First I will create a low poly model hopefully ready to print for 6mm (1:285)
In the next step more details are added but it should be printable 15mm (1:144)

I look forward to have the Shreck, Demolisher, Partisan and Sturmfeuer maybe Goblin and Yellow Jacket ready for 6mm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users