83 replies to this topic

#21 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

No. Oceanic is unplayable for me from NA.

#22 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostroboPrancer, on 08 October 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

300 dmg is a pretty high alpha, I might like to see that kind of screenshot.

that was total, not a alpha.

View PostKalleballe, on 08 October 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

That is not it. I have only euro server selected and is still redirected to the US. Given how common I find myself matched against known Tier 1 pilots on my T3 alt I think this is rather a sign on the dwindling population.

Tier doesnt really have anything to do with how good you are; If you read the description its more about team effort than individual accomplishments.

I doubt there is a dwindling population; based on the leader board there are at least 30k players in any given month. Some play once, some play non stop. I think its more that EU players are directly deselecting the EU servers and only playing on NA.

#23 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

I play against people with all of these high pings and dont have the OP described hit reg problem at all. Might be less the games hitreg is degenerating and more OP has a potential technical problem (packet loss?).

Sorry yer having technical probs Samurai, but your anecdotal experience doesnt merit your proposed alternative at all.

#24 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Sorry, But this has to be done. European players are flooding the NA servers at almost every hour of the day now. Almost every game I play has something between 12 and 14 players with 120+ ping and at least 4 or more in the 300s.
The high pings and greater server loads are causing hit reg to regress to points where its not even worth playing as a NA player. Add in the rubber banding and lag and the game is just not fun, it frustrating.
They put up EU and Pac servers for a reason, time to start using them.
I dont mind if they cant find a game after 1 min then it switches over to the next server, but it cant be the default anymore.

There are obviously a lot of other problems that need to be fixed with this game, but lets start there as it should be a simple fix.

/Rant

The best ping I can get, ever, is 180.

So **** you.

#25 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostTercieI, on 08 October 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

No. Oceanic is unplayable for me from NA.

Then the complaint from you should be fix the regional servers.
I agree, they must have gotten the Oceanic server for free or something because its on a dsl backbone. There are very few places on that side of the world where bandwidth is cheap. Really the Oceanic servers should be in Japan, even though there is a low player base in japan, they seem to have the most fiber links to other countries, vs someplace like the Philippians where there might be only 1 backbone for the whole country to the world.
Same with the EU, the servers need to be located in countries where it makes sense, not where they are the cheapest. Otherwise you end up in situations like this where no one uses them because they suck.

#26 Admiral_Korean_Jesus

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

Problem lies in low player population, PGI keeps chasing away long time players, and ensuring a negative experience and high learning curve chasing away newer players.

#27 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Don't be daft. That's outside of PGI's control.

#28 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 08 October 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

I play against people with all of these high pings and dont have the OP described hit reg problem at all. Might be less the games hitreg is degenerating and more OP has a potential technical problem (packet loss?).

Sorry yer having technical probs Samurai, but your anecdotal experience doesnt merit your proposed alternative at all.

anecdotal suggests opinion; where i have video evidence that shows fact. Maybe its just me; or maybe i am just the only one being vocal about it. If i hadnt been a founder then i probably would have given up on this game a long time ago and never looked back and could explain the rate we are seeing NA players leave.

View PostTercieI, on 08 October 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

Don't be daft. That's outside of PGI's control.

That has got to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard... You are telling me that PGI does not have control of 'where' its allowed to host servers from? Or how many or what performance they are?

Sorry but they have direct control over that. Its just some decisions are financial vs tactical.

#29 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

I agree, they must have gotten the Oceanic server for free or something because its on a dsl backbone. There are very few places on that side of the world where bandwidth is cheap. Really the Oceanic servers should be in Japan, even though there is a low player base in japan, they seem to have the most fiber links to other countries, vs someplace like the Philippians where there might be only 1 backbone for the whole country to the world.
Same with the EU, the servers need to be located in countries where it makes sense, not where they are the cheapest. Otherwise you end up in situations like this where no one uses them because they suck.

The server is in Singapore, which just shows everyone you're just talking from your el **** de Norte Americano.

#30 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

That has got to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard... You are telling me that PGI does not have control of 'where' its allowed to host servers from? Or how many or what performance they are?

Sorry but they have direct control over that. Its just some decisions are financial vs tactical.

I meant they can't control the ping to any given location. You want, what, two dozen regional servers around the world so everybody can play at 80 ping? You think the player base exists for that?

EDIT: Alright, I admit I responded to title not post...

If you actually think 300+ ping is an advantage, you're nuts. I won't play on Oceanic because it's horrible for me. Anybody playing on NA from there is doing so because that's the only way to get matches. Oceanic doesn't have the player base to exist on their server alone.

Edited by TercieI, 08 October 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#31 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostMystere, on 08 October 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

The server is in Singapore, which just shows everyone you're just talking from your el **** de Norte Americano.

or you just dont know how to read... which is fine, but you should try harder.
when someone says 'like' it means that its not a statement of fact, its a statement of suggestion. I didnt know where they were, hence 'like' <insert island nation>.

#32 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

or you just dont know how to read... which is fine, but you should try harder.
when someone says 'like' it means that its not a statement of fact, its a statement of suggestion. I didnt know where they were, hence 'like' <insert island nation>.

You specifically claimed the Oceanic server was on a DSL backbone, which is absolutely hilarious given it's actual location.

#33 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Remember the LAW of UN intended consequences and NEVER ask a question or make a request that you don't know what the outcome of is going to.

We lost the ability of game mode selection, someone asked about improving the mini-map and look what that got us.

#34 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

When EU servers were implemented, I decided to play on them only. Simply because my 100-150ms ping was forcing me to perform "unpredictable" leading (i.e. you never know, how much leading you should apply) even when using hitscan weapons, like lasers, despite of fact, that this game seemed to have HSR. But when game became completely unplayable due to broken MM, I thought, that may be NA population was better, than EU, and that it was my big mistake to refuse to play on NA servers. So I enabled NA servers again. Yeah... Matchmaking hasn't improved even a little bit, but... I decided to leave regional options as is. I still hope, that more players = better matchmaking.

Edited by MrMadguy, 08 October 2016 - 11:06 AM.

#35 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

View PostTercieI, on 08 October 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

I meant they can't control the ping to any given location. You want, what, two dozen regional servers around the world so everybody can play at 80 ping? You think the player base exists for that?

No; they are not Blizzard... Though i think if Blizzard/Activation were to take this over it would be a huge benefit to the game.

What i am suggesting is that they choose tactical locations for the servers vs choosing locations for financial reasons. I a network engineer, i have dealt with internet and bandwidth in countries like India, Singapore, China etc. Companies will tell you its 10mb, but thats internal to their network. When you start digging and doing trace routes you find out that the next hop is over a T1 line and they have 10,000 people routing over that 1 link. Its just how it works in under developed countries. Thats not a knock against the country, just the way it is. I can give you gb connection speeds, but it means nothing if the uplink outside the network is 2 cans and string.
The server should be located in the country with the most users. If its Australia, then it should be located in Australia, if its japan then japan. Dont just choose some place in the middle and say 'here'. It doest work that way.

I even have a problem with the NA servers being in Canada. In the past i was helping their network engineer figure out what was wrong with latency. Its because OVH has 1 uplink to their data center and its through NJ; So if you are on the west coast, your packets have to go to NJ then to Canada then to Toronto. VS just crossing some place like Detroit. Thats just where OVH has their US POP and thats where the packets go. The servers should be in Chicago where there is a POP and major Carrier interconnect.

I would be more then happy to pay for a subscription model if it meant that i could play the game with no problems. If it meant $5 a mo or $7 a mo and it meant that they could fix their infrastructure, hire devs and really make this game everything they have been promising for the past 4 years, then i am all for it.

#36 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 08 October 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

And actually, I'd like to make one more point about immersion.

In a futuristic world where people have huge robots but really crappy laser pointers, I LOVE hearing a whole mix of accents.

Gruff old ex-military dude
Analytic Indian
German telling us in German that the whole team ist ********
Russian screaming in Russian

OK, those are stereotypes, but I don't mean to demean. Rather, they're a priceless aspect of this game.

And specifically, it comes from the combined servers.

I spend most of my time playing games on a local server where everyone is yacking in a language I'm not familiar with. Maybe familiar enough to order a taxi, but not enough to grasp the ins and outs of in-game banter.

I don't want this to change here.

Don't lock them out!

#37 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostMystere, on 08 October 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

You specifically claimed the Oceanic server was on a DSL backbone, which is absolutely hilarious given it's actual location.

View PostMystere, on 08 October 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

How much experience do you have with overseas ISP's? because its part of my job. Yes, there are parts of the world that actually use DSL as a backbone; Its because its what they have. Once you leave the big cites the interconnects are more antiquated then you can imagine. There are some places that still use mechanical switch boards.
I have see some pretty hacked together networks in places where you would assume would be top tier. Dont get me started on Russia; The things I have seen........
I also never said the oceanic servers were on dsl, i said it wouldnt surprise me if they were. Its not uncommon in that part of the word believe it or not. DSL hardware is very cheap and works over existing copper lines, T1 hardware is still very expensive and requires a lot more power and resources, especially cooling. A single T1 card will still run you like $1000 plus the $5000 router to host it, a DSL modem $50; I am speaking for personal experience, i have physically seen back-hauls with bonded DSL lines. Its why you can get Async lines reasonably but symmetric is god awful expensive.

#38 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 08 October 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Pretty much this.

#39 Kalleballe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

I think its more that EU players are directly deselecting the EU servers and only playing on NA.

Out of 16 games tonight 4 have been on the NA server with only Euro server selected. I was not/rarely redirected to NA 3 months ago.

#40 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

My problem is that the pings have been getting worse ever since they launched the regional servers.

My ping to EU was 80 at time of launch. It has steadily degraded to be 190 now.

NA was 180, now 250. So all FP matches are affected.

Oceanic is 350+ ... unplayable because 30% of my shots either don't connect or go missing (can't work out which).

Edited by Appogee, 08 October 2016 - 01:20 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users