83 replies to this topic

#41 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

I play both on North American and European servers (being in the eastern portion of the Dominion of Canada has its benefits). Tried the Oceanic a while ago - and the ping was so bad I was not sure if I was coming or going...

#42 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:46 PM

FFS.

Back in Open Beta, it was promised to have such servers. Apparently there must've been some sort of Lostech hearing going on, because it took maybe 1.5+ years post launch before we got those servers. That is the most unnecessary culling of the playerbase because of sheer stupidity and forgetfulness on the part of PGI (I know IGP was involved in this matter, but this still was most business-unfriendly decision made ever).

There is no point in taking away servers unless you are total and complete SOB or PGI is suddenly asking for donations for that server.

If you don't like those players, you can go eff yourself. They are needed to keep this minimally viable product afloat. Unless... you want this game dead... in which case, you suck at making your case.

Forcing people to play on regional servers that are not favorable to them is also going full (that word). I already select Euro servers as is in addition to NA. I REFUSE to play Oceanic on lag/ping alone.

Edited by Deathlike, 08 October 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#43 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Sorry, But this has to be done. European players are flooding the NA servers at almost every hour of the day now. Almost every game I play has something between 12 and 14 players with 120+ ping and at least 4 or more in the 300s.
The high pings and greater server loads are causing hit reg to regress to points where its not even worth playing as a NA player. Add in the rubber banding and lag and the game is just not fun, it frustrating.
They put up EU and Pac servers for a reason, time to start using them.
I dont mind if they cant find a game after 1 min then it switches over to the next server, but it cant be the default anymore.

There are obviously a lot of other problems that need to be fixed with this game, but lets start there as it should be a simple fix.

/Rant

Hi, I'm an EU player that uses both EU and NA servers (sorry Oceanic, >300 ping is not good for me Posted Image )
I get 20-30 ping on EU servers and 80-100 on NA - pretty decent for most FPS titles unless you're playing comp, which anyone in QP obviously isn't.

TL;DR - No

#44 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

The problem is not just ping, its also load; During peak hours the number of matches going on overwhelms the 2 gaming servers they are using in NA.
Either way, the game becomes unplayable at times, so right now it doesnt madder to me if 10 people play or 10000.. Its the same result.

You can tell me to go eff my self all you want, it still doesnt solve the problem. The attrition rate will just keep climbing and the game will die with or with out locking people.

#45 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

The problem is not just ping, its also load; During peak hours the number of matches going on overwhelms the 2 gaming servers they are using in NA.
Either way, the game becomes unplayable at times, so right now it doesnt madder to me if 10 people play or 10000.. Its the same result.

You can tell me to go eff my self all you want, it still doesnt solve the problem. The attrition rate will just keep climbing and the game will die with or with out locking people.

So instead of trying to get a doctor into the house to save it, you want to take a pillow and smother it? Good plan.

#46 herself again

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

Get rid of HSR, reinstate convergence, let the newbies learn to lag shoot like the vets all did. Then the only issue with servers is reading your opponent's ping and yours via <Tab> before the match starts. As is, it's HSR + lag that causes the problems IMHO.

#47 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

For slow or bad pings and or performance. After doing the standard house cleaning, closing all unneeded apps/software system defraged etc.

Legacy ToolsDoctor TCP

DR TCP - A windows utility for modifying your TCP stack. But: use DrTCP only in conjuction with the advice from the Tweak Test.
http://www.dslreport...nt/DRTCP019.exe

Tweak Test
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks?
Test if your computer is setup correctly for broadband TCP connectivity

Domain Name Speed Benchmark
Are your DNS nameservers impeding your Internet experience?
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Command line help.

Command: netsh int ip reset C:\ipreset.txt Resets the TCP/IP stack from the DOS command prompt.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314850
The Syntax and Options for Using the Ipconfig Diagnostic Utility for Network Connections

Command: ipconfig/flushdns Clears/Flushes the local PC Domain Name Servers (DNS) cache.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption.

Command: netsh winsock reset Rebuilds/reinstall the winsock file via the DOS command prompt.

Still works in win 7, 8 and 10 I believe.

Black Viper's Services Configuration

Editor's Note: This information was originally created and belongs to Black Viper We had reproduced it, in large part until the original website returned. As of 3/2007. It did. So go visit Black Viper and enjoy.
http://www.majorgeek...figuration.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by MW222, 08 October 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#48 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

I personally only play on the NA server because I find that once I reach over 100ms ping, hit registration becomes an issue, at least for me. If the took away the option to disable EU and Oceanic as server options, I would probably quit the game.

#49 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

This is not a server load issue than it is PGI not willing to improving the servers... but you only increase servers if they are used enough, and I bet they aren't in any serious load either (outside of gradually slower database status updates during events, which may be an issue separate from your originating complaint).

Nothing good comes from trying to play on a server you can't hit things on. This has been true for any FPS game in existence.

I don't think you've truly thought this through.

#50 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Firstly I would love to have your ping OP. At high pings bad hitreg is simply a fact of life. So us high pingers have to compensate for example having to lead moar.

I believe that some hitreg issues are due to the fact that what you see is not exactly what the server see's.

Also perhaps the OP's hitreg problems are caused by something technical, like jitter on their network connection.

Try www.pingtest.net to check your jitter.
Packet loss can be checked on teamspeak client info tab.

Also lets say your problem is caused by server load, would not it be better to make a post asking PGI to fix their infrastructure issues first.

#51 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

How much experience do you have with overseas ISP's?

Global -- as in 150+ countries and territories around the world.

Does that answer your question? Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 08 October 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#52 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 08 October 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Sorry, But this has to be done. European players are flooding the NA servers at almost every hour of the day now. Almost every game I play has something between 12 and 14 players with 120+ ping and at least 4 or more in the 300s.
The high pings and greater server loads are causing hit reg to regress to points where its not even worth playing as a NA player. Add in the rubber banding and lag and the game is just not fun, it frustrating.
They put up EU and Pac servers for a reason, time to start using them.
I dont mind if they cant find a game after 1 min then it switches over to the next server, but it cant be the default anymore.

There are obviously a lot of other problems that need to be fixed with this game, but lets start there as it should be a simple fix.

/Rant

Dezgra.... surat.

#53 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

I live in the oceanic server region... I dont play eu or oceanic servers as they are often unplayably bad. locking the regions would stop me playing.

#54 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

Players across the Pacific will ping faster to a server in San Jose, San Francisco, Seattle or Vancouver BC than they do to Singapore. The "Oceania" server only benefits SEA players such as the Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and of course, Singapore, and I don't think there is a lot of them anyway. Players in Australia, Marianas, Micronesia, New Zealand, Polynesia, Taiwan, Japan and Korea are likely to ping faster to North America West than to Singapore.

In my opinion, its better to close the Oceanic server if there is not enough players on it, and set up an NA West server in San Jose or San Francisco. The pings from across Oceania will be reduced to around 150 to 200 ms. In addition to that, access from Mexico and other Latin American countries will also see reduced ping, and further more, all the players in the west coast side of the US and Canada, as well as Hawaii and Alaska.

Players in the US can queue for both East and West servers, and US West, Pacific and Latin American players will get faster ping and queue times.

#55 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Option to choose regional server is ALWAYS A MUST in Online Gaming. Also I once play in NA server and often my AC20 CN9-AH is not registering on enemy even I hit it from point blank range over again Because my ping is too high. So...
Posted Image

#56 A W 0 L

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

I live in New Zealand, current server pings:
NA - 221
EU - 296
OC - 233

So for me NA is slightly better than OC, I tried only OC when I started but waiting times go ballistic.

#57 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostA W 0 L, on 08 October 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

I live in New Zealand, current server pings:
NA - 221
EU - 296
OC - 233

So for me NA is slightly better than OC, I tried only OC when I started but waiting times go ballistic.

Those are harsh. Posted Image

#58 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 08 October 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Or you know there's trouble with AT&T and the ilk and pings are just higher because they're service is bad

Also
I don't get the gist of what OP is saying

He wants the option for choosing removed, but doesn't like playing with them on the same server
Soo
Wouldn't removing the option match even more players from overseas on NA servers?
Or is he proposing only regional servers?
Which most likely the player count can't sustain

Hell people complain daily about MM
Try it with roughly a third of the player base to work with

It sounds like he wants to build a wall.

#59 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

View PostHunka Junk, on 08 October 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

It sounds like he wants to build a wall.

Posted Image

#60 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:42 PM

View PostFroschkoenig, on 08 October 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

Yeah, that means throwing me on the Oceanic servers. No thank you. No offense to anyone from that region, but I disabled that option after the third game where only one person had under 300 ping.

No offence to anyone in Europe but i un-selected this server because the ping is always about 700

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users