Ok Since We Can't Get Accurate Numbers. How Many Of You Play On Steam And Were Here Before Steam?

78 replies to this topic

#61 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for all your votes keep them coming

#62 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 10 October 2016 - 10:18 PM, said:

You can easily tell who bought more than 10 games on Steam vs who'd stuck in the past based on the responses.

Haha...

...164 steam games. I have a problem, particularly with their dreaded summer sales.

#63 Gladius Vittoris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

View PostImperius, on 10 October 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Just trying to subtract the vets from these Steam Numbers. Yeah I know it's not accurate but it is all we have.

Posted Image

So far -4

EDIT ADDED POLL

http://mwomercs.com/...e-before-steam/

Find it!
I was sure to have read some thread foreseeing Steam failure.

I think this guy was right:

http://mwomercs.com/...mplete-failure/

#64 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

I've been here long before steam release. I have the original client still installed but I use Steam mostly because steam patches the game for me while I'm at work and I don't have to deal with waiting on the patcher when I get home and get a chance to finally boot up the client.

Edited by Mole, 12 October 2016 - 06:53 AM.

#65 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:02 AM

Stream user here but have used standard client before steam release. Have deleted the standard client and installed using steam as for some reason updating is much quicker for me while having it on steam then using the standard client.

#66 AchingNoodle

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

I have only ever played the game on Steam. Only been around for almost 5 months.

#67 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:30 AM

Was playing before Steam release, now i use the Steam client.
So that everytime i play, I just hope some of the friends in my Steam list get curious about the game, giving it a try.
(till now i "captured" only one person...)

#68 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

When I play on my laptop I use the Steam client, but when I play on my desktop I use the old client. I mostly play on my laptop for some inexplicable reason.

#69 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostDaZur, on 10 October 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

Original client before and after steam.

I'm too old-school to run any superfluous apps or programs while gaming... I'm an old Dos guy and old habits die hard.

Sigh. I fondly remember the days of tweaking my extended memory trying to get that additional 1K of memory to get the flipping yellow stippled canopy on my F-16 in Falcon 4.0. Posted Image

I'm such a grognard. Posted Image

I just had a flashback of doing step by step boots of DOS and Win3.1 in order to make certain games work. I actually kind of miss having to do work to make my games playable lol.

#70 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 12 October 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

I just had a flashback of doing step by step boots of DOS and Win3.1 in order to make certain games work. I actually kind of miss having to do work to make my games playable lol.

I'm not quite old enough to remember that but I do remember the days when computers and internet connections were finicky enough to be bothered by having background programs running. Anyone else remember the days when if your connection was running slowly on an online game the first thing you did was make sure that you had logged out of all your various instant messaging programs?

#71 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostMole, on 12 October 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

I'm not quite old enough to remember that but I do remember the days when computers and internet connections were finicky enough to be bothered by having background programs running. Anyone else remember the days when if your connection was running slowly on an online game the first thing you did was make sure that you had logged out of all your various instant messaging programs?

Yes, and I remember having to drop every time mom or dad wanted to use the phone, and how incredibly fast my first 56k modem was. Fear my 7KB/s download speed.

#72 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 12 October 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

Yes, and I remember having to drop every time mom or dad wanted to use the phone, and how incredibly fast my first 56k modem was. Fear my 7KB/s download speed.

God. You know there are grown adults today don't even know what dialup sounded like? My girlfriend and I have a pretty big age difference and she has never heard a dialup connection.

#73 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

https://steamspy.com/app/342200

Steam players in the last 14 days: 24,925 ± 3,963

https://mwomercs.com...le/leaderboards

Actual players in the last 12 days: 38,780

So in other words, somewhere between 54% and 75% of players use the Steam client.

#74 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

I was here before Steam, and I use the standalone client.

I tried it out in Steam, but switched back quickly. I had some problem with Steam tabbing me into another stat window of some sort. I had zero patience at the time for troubleshooting the issue, so I just switched back because it was expedient.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Steam's layout/organization.

View PostWintersdark, on 10 October 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

Like I said, background patching while you're at work. It's awesome :) No more getting home, THEN having to patch.

There's other advantages too, but that's the killer feature for me anyways. Never even need to think about patching.

But that only works if my machine is on while I'm away, right? I still have to patch like mere mortals because I turn it on when I get home. Does Steam actually patch any faster in a one-on-one matchup?

Because the extra layer of software seems superfluous for me unless it provides a dramatic benefit to raw patch speed or some benefit to gameplay.

Edited by Virlutris, 12 October 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#75 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostTarogato, on 12 October 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

https://steamspy.com/app/342200

Steam players in the last 14 days: 24,925 ± 3,963

https://mwomercs.com...le/leaderboards

Actual players in the last 12 days: 38,780

So in other words, somewhere between 54% and 75% of players use the Steam client.

I like my games in the same nice place. I migrate everything to Steam when i can.

#76 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Question.

I know it counts as using STEAM if you d/l the game via STEAM and run it via STEAM.

What about when you have the standalone version on your desktop and just use STEAM to link to it? Do they count that as a STEAM user? I would suspect not, but not 100% sure.

#77 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 12 October 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Question.

I know it counts as using STEAM if you d/l the game via STEAM and run it via STEAM.

What about when you have the standalone version on your desktop and just use STEAM to link to it? Do they count that as a STEAM user? I would suspect not, but not 100% sure.

they do not count.

#78 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 12 October 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

Remember the days when we had to manually select IPX or TCIP and had to hand enter the IP?

... or when we had to decide between AOL or Prodigy?

#79 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 12 October 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

Does Steam actually patch any faster in a one-on-one matchup?

I can't remember what my transfer rate on patching is through the original client but my download speed for any game or update on steam sits at around 6 to 7 megabytes per second. Steam servers are fast as hell. And what's more, steam installs the patch as its downloading. So once its downloaded you don't have to sit there and wait through an install process either. Once it's downloaded you are immediately good to go.

Edited by Mole, 12 October 2016 - 10:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users