Dear Pgi, I'm Happy To Give You My Money, But Only For A Light Mech Pack.

102 replies to this topic

#21 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:36 AM

View PostExcessive Paranoia, on 23 October 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

With that out of the way, I'm primarily a light pilot, dropping in that weight class between 80%-95% of the time depending on the day. Sadly, this class has been severely under served when it comes to new mech options being released as monthly packs which has led me to buy several heavy and medium packs that I enjoy, but only rarely play. As such, I can no longer justify spending real money on mechs that fall outside of my primary weight class, so going forward, I will happily offer up my hard earned cash, but only for light mech packs.

What about some Clan Lights?

Vixen
- running 151 km/h with three lasers (LPL included) and four Machine Guns? And all that with full armor.
Posted Image

Peregrine
- cool looking jump-capable 35-tonner.
Posted Image

Locust IIC
- comes with one MPL and 8 (eight!) ER Small lasers for maximum trolling
Posted Image

Hellion
- slightly slower than the Hankyu, but comes with more podspace. It can use MASC for short bursts of speed.
Posted Image

Commando IIC
- 'Mech that pilots of standard IS Commando dream about
Posted Image

Fire Falcon
Are you Jade Falcon? Do you own the Hellbringer, the Summoner, the Kit Fox and the Night Gyr? It is your duty to your Clan to buy this Light OmniMech!
Posted Image

Edited by martian, 24 October 2016 - 03:00 AM.

#22 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:38 AM

WASP !

#23 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:55 AM

View PostExcessive Paranoia, on 23 October 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

How is it difficult to add lights because of power creep, but not mediums, heavies, or assaults? The probable reality is that they haven't added lights because light pilots represent a smaller percentage of the population and so they expect to sell fewer packs.

I'm sure it's this. Very few people like to play lights. Over the weekend I had drop after drop with no lights. Basically, there's little market for light mechs in MWO because so few players will use them - why allocate resources to making them? A shame, perhaps, but that's the hard truth.

Personally, I almost never play them either. Why? Because I want to play big stompy robots and in this game lights feel like they've crept in from some twitch game for hyperactive teenagers. I feel motion sick if I try to use one (if only that was a joke). I also have a nagging feeling that they are a bit "exploity" when an ACH or whatever can dance through a formation of heavies and not take damage (I know, learn to aim).

Other people probably avoid them because they are hard to advance (both XP and PSR reward high damage) and because they have no real other role since scouting doesn't matter much in QP and nobody appears to play FW anymore.

Lights might have a role in conquest, but many of the conquest games I play seem to be decided by killing the entire enemy team and then capping, rather than balancing caps against kills. If a light does go off to cap, they lose XP and c-bills for not having dealt damage. Ho hum.

#24 Excessive Paranoia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:02 AM

View Postmartian, on 24 October 2016 - 01:36 AM, said:

What about some Clan Lights?

Vixen
- running 151 km/h with three lasers (LPL included) and four Machine Guns? And all that with full armor.
Posted Image

Peregrine
- cool looking jump-capable 35-tonner.
Posted Image

Locust IIC
- comes with one MPL and 8 (eight!) ER Small lasers for maximum trolling
Posted Image

Hellion
- slightly slower than the Hankyu, but comes with more podspace. It can use MASC for short bursts of speed.
Posted Image

Commando IIC
- 'Mech that pilots of standard IS Commando dream about
Posted Image

Fire Falcon
Are you Jade Falcon? Do you own the Hellbringer, the Summoner, the Kit Fox and the Night Gyr? It is your duty to your Clan to buy this Light OmniMech!
Posted Image

I can get behind all of those except maybe the Hellion as its build date is nearly 3060 and we are apparently stuck on 3050, That said though... I'm already drooling over the locust IIc....

#25 Excessive Paranoia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:11 AM

View PostThe Amazing Atomic Spaniel, on 24 October 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

I'm sure it's this. Very few people like to play lights. Over the weekend I had drop after drop with no lights. Basically, there's little market for light mechs in MWO because so few players will use them - why allocate resources to making them? A shame, perhaps, but that's the hard truth.

Personally, I almost never play them either. Why? Because I want to play big stompy robots and in this game lights feel like they've crept in from some twitch game for hyperactive teenagers. I feel motion sick if I try to use one (if only that was a joke). I also have a nagging feeling that they are a bit "exploity" when an ACH or whatever can dance through a formation of heavies and not take damage (I know, learn to aim).

Other people probably avoid them because they are hard to advance (both XP and PSR reward high damage) and because they have no real other role since scouting doesn't matter much in QP and nobody appears to play FW anymore.

Lights might have a role in conquest, but many of the conquest games I play seem to be decided by killing the entire enemy team and then capping, rather than balancing caps against kills. If a light does go off to cap, they lose XP and c-bills for not having dealt damage. Ho hum.

For the record, I've advanced from tier 5 at the start of the tier system to the end of tier 1 dropping ~90% of the time in lights and can master a chassis in about a casual day, so saying they are hard to advance in is matter of personal ability rather than an empirical statement about the class. That said, you have a point about their true role being somewhat limited, though I manage to scout in pretty much every match, so role warfare can be there if you carve out your niche forcefully.

Sadly though, we are in agreement that pure economics are probably driving this persistent lack of new light mechs... they are always the shortest queue (I've never seen it more than ~15% outside of an event and usually its in the single digits), and they very rarely get respect from other players while in game (how many times have you seen people complaining that the last light is still playing instead of just giving up and going yolo?), so few players play them and even fewer want to see more around. In that environment, it does make more financial sense for PGI to commit resources to mechs that more people will buy. That said, I'm sticking to my guns from here on out: PGI won't get another penny out of me unless I'm buying a light mech pack.

Edited by Excessive Paranoia, 24 October 2016 - 03:12 AM.

#26 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:19 AM

Here's hoping for the Javelin. If we do get a light it should be something that'll be good, not just nostalgic.

#27 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:40 AM

Clans need a 20t mech or a 25t mech that is not totally bullshiat like the Shiat Lynx.

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:38 AM

View PostExcessive Paranoia, on 24 October 2016 - 03:02 AM, said:

I can get behind all of those except maybe the Hellion as its build date is nearly 3060 and we are apparently stuck on 3050, That said though... I'm already drooling over the locust IIc....

There is a certain possibility (mentioned by Russ Bullock) that the next year we will move to 3060s. So the Hellion should not be ruled out.

#29 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

I honestly can't wait for the Drink IIC to come out. Clan drinks are better than IS drinks anyway, especially with the XL Drink it comes with, 12 ER drinks with Jump Drinks. This game would totally need it and I'd open my wallet for drinks. It would totally change the Meta drink especially when Energy Drink is finished with Public Test Drinking Server.

#30 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:55 AM

Man just want my incubus, and have the paint scheme follow this

Posted Image

And call it the Dark Rose, Rose Succubus whatever sounder cooler in my mind...
Also will take the magical unicorn Locust IIC with and Urbie IIC Posted Image

#31 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:15 AM

In my opinion many lights are really easy to advance because despite their size they can deal huge amounts of damage. 6 small pulse lasers have more punch than an AC20 and the clan-versions even scratch the Dual-AC20 mark. Combined with their short cooldown they are able to out-dps most other mechs. Of cause you need to get close which can be challenging on some maps. But nevertheless i feel much more comfortable in a locust on those maps than in an SRM-Brawler.

I guess the reason why they are used so rarely in QP is more because of their hectic gameplay and bigger requirements in reflexes and map-awareness than a lack of power (In my opinion they are the most powerful weight-class in QP, even on higher tiers).

Edited by Daggett, 24 October 2016 - 06:18 AM.

#32 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:49 AM

I'm enjoying Lights more than any other weight class at the moment. So yeah, I'd be tempted to buy one, too.

#33 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 24 October 2016 - 04:40 AM, said:

Clans need a 20t mech or a 25t mech that is not totally bullshiat like the Shiat Lynx.

so.... piranha.

#34 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

Yup! Hey PGI! psssssst! I want Cougar, Flea and new weaponry!

And NO excuse for the so called "the fleas goes to fast for our engine!" Read Sarna, the Fleas are SLOWER than the locusts but packs more firepower, have smaller overall shape and some hardpoints are high placed.

Need to bring it up, yet again!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flea

Flea 17

Manufacturer Earthwerks Incorporated Production Year 2475[1][2][3] Model FLE-17[4] Class Light[4] Cost 1,728,000 C-bills Technical specifications Mass 20[4] tons Chassis Earthwerk Trooper II Endo Steel[4] Armor Livingston Ceramics[4] Engine GM 120[4] Communications System Neil 2000[4] Targeting Tracking System Dalban HiRez-B[4] Heat Sinks 10[4] Speed 97[4] km/h (119[4] km/h with MASC) <---- Here! Armament

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Locust

Locust

Production information Manufacturer Bergan Industries,

Achernar BattleMechs,
Alliance Defenders Limited,
Corean Enterprises,
Defiance Industries [1]
Gibson Federated BattleMechs,
Interstellar Arms,[2]
Majesty Metals and Manufacturing,
Pinard Protectorates Limited,
Taurus Territorial Industries Production Year 2499[3][4][5] Model LCT-1V Class Light Cost 1,512,400 C-bills Technical specifications Mass 20 tons Chassis Bergan VII Armor 1/StarSlab Engine LTV 160 Communications System Garret T-10B Targeting Tracking System O/P 911 Heat Sinks 10 Speed 129.6 km/h <- Spot the difference with the Fleas max speed? Armament
Dont make me do a thread about the Flea, it shouldnt be neccessary Posted Image

#35 William Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

I would love me a Fire Falcon. I would preorder that sucker the moment it's available.

#36 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

Sorry man, the perceived value of a Light Mech Pack is much less than that of a heavy or an assault considering they'd most likely be sold at the same price. There's alot less light aficionados than people who like large stompy robots with lots of armor and firepower. Don't expect too many light mech packs in the future.

#37 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

The other reason is that when you have played a mech a million times you get board. Also post rescale many lights are in a really bad place. Many of us are like everyone else and get a new mech every month to level so that is part of it as well. The reason you see so many Arctic Cheetahs' and Locusts is because they are both decent right now and most others are not.

#38 Excessive Paranoia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostRock Roller, on 24 October 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

The other reason is that when you have played a mech a million times you get board. Also post rescale many lights are in a really bad place. Many of us are like everyone else and get a new mech every month to level so that is part of it as well. The reason you see so many Arctic Cheetahs' and Locusts is because they are both decent right now and most others are not.

That is kind of my point, so few lights have been added into the game compared to every other weight class that they have started to become stale and I want more toys to play with. Though I have to disagree with the last half of your statement... it does stink that my FS-9's are now larger than mechs 20t heavier than them, but I'm still having a lot of fun with mechs other than ACH and LCT. Ultimately, I don't expect PGI to suddenly start dropping light mech packs all the time, but from my point of view, my needs aren't being serviced by their business model, so I'll hold onto my money until they are.

#39 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

I'm in the same boat as OP. Like I couldn't have written it better myself. Wallet is locked and sealed until we get more lights. Will gladly pay for lights.

Edited by Mole, 24 October 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#40 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

Can it mount at least 5E/3M/6B?

If not, can it go over 150, and still have tonnage?

if STILL NOT, does it at least have ECM?

Congratulations, we have a Myst Lynx.

Else, Urbie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users