Dear Pgi, I'm Happy To Give You My Money, But Only For A Light Mech Pack.

102 replies to this topic

#41 Excessive Paranoia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

View PostGreyNovember, on 24 October 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Can it mount at least 5E/3M/6B?

If not, can it go over 150, and still have tonnage?

if STILL NOT, does it at least have ECM?

Congratulations, we have a Myst Lynx.

Else, Urbie.

What is this?.... I don't even...

#42 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

'talking about wanting new lights, barely any mention of the Fire Moth'

Posted Image

Personally, I would love the Piranha just because it is a Clan Diamond Shark mech, but... Fire Moth, Flea, Firefly, and the Owens are all mechs I loved in previous titles and I would actually pilot despite being terrible with light mechs.

#43 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:22 PM

How I view the sale m us more light mechs crowd
Posted Image

#44 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostExcessive Paranoia, on 24 October 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

What is this?.... I don't even...

If you'd like to point out how I'm wrong, please, by all means.

#45 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

As has been pointed out, the perceived value of light mechs is less so in order for it to make financial sense to Pgi there needs to be a cheap way to offset it.

That means adding a mech with a good number of variants so it can get an extra 1or 2 in it's pack, clearly be a must buy somehow or have intense nostalgic factor.

If you can get something that fits all 3 then you've got the perfect choice.

The Flea: It has some following because it was announced & also has history of usage in TT & from MW4:mercs but honestly it'd just be a crappy Locust wannabe.

Stinger/Wasp: Essentially the same mech. Lots of nostalgia with these two but they'll struggle in MWO & offer nothing new.

Piranha: 12 MG's + clan tech. Yes it's 20 tons but that's good for dropdecks & the clans need another decent light.

Javelin: 30 tons, offers missile boating, combo missile & energy, energy boating & ecm with JJ. It still has tonnage to use & at 30 tons it'll be smaller but have a similar punch to 35 tonners.

Valkyrie: 30t, least nostalgia for the unseen & really just a slower but tall & skinny Javelin. (Seriously, it's completely inferior to it)

#46 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

More junk is still junk

#47 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:38 PM

Fire Falcon would be neat to have, PGI just needs to offer more mechs for base, collectors packs than normal to account for it only being a light and id be up for it.

#48 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 24 October 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

'talking about wanting new lights, barely any mention of the Fire Moth'

In my experience the best use for the Dasher is to use it as Elemental taxi. But since there is no BA in MWO ...

View PostRestosIII, on 24 October 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

..., the Owens are all mechs I loved in previous titles and I would actually pilot despite being terrible with light mechs.

There are two big problems with the Owens:
1) Single Heat Sinks
The Owens does not have enough pod space to use ballistic weapons effectively, and the situation is not much better when it comes to missiles. And with SHS you would overheat quickly - especially on Terra Therma.

2) Useless fixed equipment
Fixed TAG - the problem is that in higher Tiers LRMs are usually quite rare, so TAG would be of little use.
Fixed BAP - not much better
Fixed C3 Slave - C3 networks are useless and this technology is not in MWO anyway.

#49 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:55 PM

View Postmartian, on 24 October 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

In my experience the best use for the Dasher is to use it as Elemental taxi. But since there is no BA in MWO ...

There are two big problems with the Owens:
1) Single Heat Sinks
The Owens does not have enough pod space to use ballistic weapons effectively, and the situation is not much better when it comes to missiles. And with SHS you would overheat quickly - especially on Terra Therma.

2) Useless fixed equipment
Fixed TAG - the problem is that in higher Tiers LRMs are usually quite rare, so TAG would be of little use.
Fixed BAP - not much better
Fixed C3 Slave - C3 networks are useless and this technology is not in MWO anyway.

SHS? I'd be 100% fine with it. I run lore builds anyways so I'm used to fighting the heat. Fixed equipment though? PGI would probably take the same route as the Adder's flamer for the TAG, and, again, wouldn't mind a fixed BAP. Trust me, I know what I'm asking for and have considered the many, many, many downsides. While I'm at it though, I'd like to ask for the Strider as well

#50 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 24 October 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

SHS? I'd be 100% fine with it. I run lore builds anyways so I'm used to fighting the heat. Fixed equipment though? PGI would probably take the same route as the Adder's flamer for the TAG, and, again, wouldn't mind a fixed BAP. Trust me, I know what I'm asking for and have considered the many, many, many downsides. While I'm at it though, I'd like to ask for the Strider as well

I take it you just like objectively bad mechs? I just don't see the Owens or Strider selling considering locked SHS and other useless equipment.

#51 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 October 2016 - 12:00 AM, said:

I take it you just like objectively bad mechs? I just don't see the Owens or Strider selling considering locked SHS and other useless equipment.

I like good-looking mechs. The Owens and Strider look good to me. And at this point, MW:O is SkinWarrior: Online anyways, so I will take anything that looks good and pilots differently from mechs in the game right now with open arms.

#52 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:09 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 October 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

I like good-looking mechs. The Owens and Strider look good to me. And at this point, MW:O is SkinWarrior: Online anyways, so I will take anything that looks good and pilots differently from mechs in the game right now with open arms.

I like good looking mechs that play differently too but the only realistic choices are the ones that'll sell decently. The Raptor is a fair choice for an IS omni.

#53 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:15 AM

SHS? I'd be 100% fine with it. I run lore builds anyways so I'm used to fighting the heat. Fixed equipment though? PGI would probably take the same route as the Adder's flamer for the TAG, and, again, wouldn't mind a fixed BAP. Trust me, I know what I'm asking for and have considered the many, many, many downsides.

But you should consider that PGI must sell enough 'Mechpacks to pay for the art design, modelling, texturing, etc. of this bad 'Mech. And I do not think that people would be especially eager to buy it.

While I'm at it though, I'd like to ask for the Strider as well

The Strider in not a Light 'Mech, and what is worse, it has locked SFE and locked SHS.

It would run 100 km/h and that's pretty slow, considering that many heavier 'Mechs with a lot of firepower have the same speed and would kill you quickly. On the other hand, comparable Cicada can have the same amount of armor as the Strider, but the Cicada can run 120-140 km/h.

And as for armament, you would be left either with laser boating 'Mech, or with some combination of lasers and missiles.

Effectively, you would end with something as very slow Cicada X-5 that overheats with single heat sinks on top of that slowness.

#54 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:21 AM

View Postmartian, on 25 October 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

But you should consider that PGI must sell enough 'Mechpacks to pay for the art design, modelling, texturing, etc. of this bad 'Mech. And I do not think that people would be especially eager to buy it.

The Strider in not a Light 'Mech, and what is worse, it has locked SFE and locked SHS.

It would run 100 km/h and that's pretty slow, considering that many heavier 'Mechs with a lot of firepower have the same speed and would kill you quickly. On the other hand, comparable Cicada can have the same amount of armor as the Strider, but the Cicada can run 120-140 km/h.

And as for armament, you would be left either with laser boating 'Mech, or with some combination of lasers and missiles.

Effectively, you would end with something as very slow Cicada X-5 that overheats with single heat sinks on top of that slowness.

Again , I know all this. Do I honestly expect PGI to ever add them? No. But can it be on my wish list? Of course. And the entire reason I brought up the Strider is because you were acting like all the early IS Omnis are terrible, so I might as well put it out there that I love another one.

#55 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:28 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 23 October 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

Urbanmech IIC or even better.

The Piranha.

Posted Image

12 MGs, 2 Mediums, 1 small. all going at 151 KPH at 20 tons. And is clan tech.

12 MGs and 3 Clan Small Pulses would be very considerable damage, dps wise that's comparable to IS mechs 2-3 times the weight

Edited by DovisKhan, 25 October 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#56 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:28 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 October 2016 - 12:09 AM, said:

I like good looking mechs that play differently too but the only realistic choices are the ones that'll sell decently. The Raptor is a fair choice for an IS omni.

Posted Image

Yeah, the Raptor is not bad. It can boat about 10 Small lasers or some 5-6 Medium lasers. DHS make it competetive and it has no fixed equipment.

I would expect to be very nimble and resposive tiny 25-tonner.

One later model even comes with optional jump jets. I think that many Light 'Mech pilots would like to ride jump-capable Locust (albeit slightly overgrown).

#57 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

View PostDovisKhan, on 25 October 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

12 MGs and 3 Clan Small Pulses would be very considerable damage, dps wise that's comparable to IS mechs 2-3 times the weight

Sadly you'd be out of ammo faster than you can blink.

#58 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:39 AM

View Postmartian, on 25 October 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

Posted Image

Yeah, the Raptor is not bad. It can boat about 10 Small lasers or some 5-6 Medium lasers. DHS make it competetive and it has no fixed equipment.

I would expect to be very nimble and resposive tiny 25-tonner.

One later model even comes with optional jump jets. I think that many Light 'Mech pilots would like to ride jump-capable Locust (albeit slightly overgrown).

I'm not a big Raptor fan but it's the only omni that makes sense short term. As a light, being the first IS omni could be enough to have it sell well.

I'd still pick the Javelin to be the next light but the Raptor is decent.

#59 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:32 AM

View PostBombast, on 23 October 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

or Flea!

Posted Image

#60 Excessive Paranoia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:37 AM

View PostGreyNovember, on 24 October 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

If you'd like to point out how I'm wrong, please, by all means.

I honestly have no idea what your post was even supposed to mean... Are you saying that all light mechs are either Urbies or Myst Lynx?

View PostTheArisen, on 24 October 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

As has been pointed out, the perceived value of light mechs is less so in order for it to make financial sense to Pgi there needs to be a cheap way to offset it.

That means adding a mech with a good number of variants so it can get an extra 1or 2 in it's pack, clearly be a must buy somehow or have intense nostalgic factor.

If you can get something that fits all 3 then you've got the perfect choice.

The Flea: It has some following because it was announced & also has history of usage in TT & from MW4:mercs but honestly it'd just be a crappy Locust wannabe.

Stinger/Wasp: Essentially the same mech. Lots of nostalgia with these two but they'll struggle in MWO & offer nothing new.

Piranha: 12 MG's + clan tech. Yes it's 20 tons but that's good for dropdecks & the clans need another decent light.

Javelin: 30 tons, offers missile boating, combo missile & energy, energy boating & ecm with JJ. It still has tonnage to use & at 30 tons it'll be smaller but have a similar punch to 35 tonners.

Valkyrie: 30t, least nostalgia for the unseen & really just a slower but tall & skinny Javelin. (Seriously, it's completely inferior to it)

I would point out that perceived value is a very subjective thing. I don't perceive enough value in medium, heavy, or assault packs anymore to justify spending real money on them, while at the same time, I personally would happily pay regular mech pack prices (including the 3+2+1 splits for standard / reinforcements / hero) for one off light mech packs. I understand that I'm in the minority here, but that doesn't mean I'm the only one who'd be willing to pay normal prices for light mechs.

View PostImperius, on 24 October 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

More junk is still junk

Then don't buy it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users