• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

View PostBilbo, on 25 October 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

You can bring up the CoC all you want, it obviously doesn't answer the question for the few forum goers that bother to start or answer these threads. This argument has been going on longer than the game is dying arguments. All you can really say is that, if you are acting in good faith, you probably won't have anything to worry about.

Ha, me, worry?

I think you're asking the wrong person on if they care :>

#22 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

Yep, its a big fat joke..

Put in feature that allows you to push your mech well beyond its limits at the high risk of instant death, or crippling damage to yourself in a last ditch attempt to fight back.

People report you because they're not paying attention usually and think you just ran off the map, or some other equally ******** assumption.

And PGI bans you for using this feature which is built into the game..

Its more of a problem with the report system not having a proper definition of what happened, so people report you as AFK or something else, instead of just going bezerk while you're going down anyway.

#23 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

If you do it enough and people are reporting you every other round for it you might get a timeout. Since it sounds like you said are suiciding by over heat more often than the enemy kills you, which in normal play even with override users (i myself use it every game) getting a heat suicide is much rarer than not in any normal play, you sound like you are doing something kinda odd and I wouldn't be too sure you aren't getting reported a little.

I have noted your name and if see and I think you are using suicide in an egregious manner I'd report as well, but who knows as It'll always be case by case.

#24 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

@ OP

Most people are as good at managing heat as you are. Often i will do the same thing and override at the start because I can manage my heat -- sometimes it's caught me during a period of inattention but usually its beneficial.

And you will not get banned if you are trying to battle.

Edited by nehebkau, 25 October 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#25 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 25 October 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

Ha, me, worry?

I think you're asking the wrong person on if they care :>

I didn't ask anyone if they cared. Players should play how they like. If how they like gets them a ban, they will play differently or they will get banned again. It's entirely up to them and the devs. At any rate, The occasional suicide doesn't top my list of game play issues.

#26 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

View PostBilbo, on 25 October 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

I didn't ask anyone if they cared. Players should play how they like. If how they like gets them a ban, they will play differently or they will get banned again. It's entirely up to them and the devs. At any rate, The occasional suicide doesn't top my list of game play issues.

Neither is it mine, as I rarely see it happen or even the need to do so.

Probably If I had to guess the last time I suicide was from overheating in a fight, and that was a 10-11 fight long ago. Regardless, players play how they like, but if it's impacting teams morale and if it's disruptive, then yes, I would like that corrected, but currently, that's not the issue.

#27 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 25 October 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

Neither is it mine, as I rarely see it happen or even the need to do so.

Probably If I had to guess the last time I suicide was from overheating in a fight, and that was a 10-11 fight long ago. Regardless, players play how they like, but if it's impacting teams morale and if it's disruptive, then yes, I would like that corrected, but currently, that's not the issue.

Conveniently, there is a button. A player can right click on another player's name and report them. The game masters can decide if the report is valid and everyone else can move on having been mildly disappointed in the behavior of their teammate/opponent. That it took several years for that button to appear is slightly disheartening, but it is there.

#28 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostBilbo, on 25 October 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

I think it just counts against your penalty timer for dc's and tks. As long as you aren't suiciding every match, you probably won't have a problem. I could be wrong though.

Nope, I've gotten multiple small time bans for "suiciding" and "non-participation" as a result of using the over ride feature.

and I'm not talking suicide rush the team pontlessly, I'm talking 3 kills, 800 damage, "suiciding" while finishing off my fourth kill.

Edited by Ex Atlas Overlord, 25 October 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#29 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostEx Atlas Overlord, on 25 October 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

Nope, I've gotten multiple small time bans for "suiciding" and "non-participation" as a result of using the over ride feature.

and I'm not talking suicide rush the team pontlessly, I'm talking 3 kills, 800 damage, "suiciding" while finishing off my fourth kill.

#30 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostMister D, on 25 October 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

Its more of a problem with the report system not having a proper definition of what happened, so people report you as AFK or something else, instead of just going bezerk while you're going down anyway.

Actually the reporting isnt' the problem...

It's PGI being so incompetent that rather than actually look into the case, they just ban anyone that exceeds X number of reports.

Aka.... get a group of trolls together and spam report people and watch them get banned.

If how they like gets them a ban, they will play differently or they will get banned again.

If PGI wants to ban me for using features as intended that they put in the game, I'm not going to bother pretending it's on my shoulders to change my "behavior".

If they're THAT incompetent, I'll happily play someone elses game.

Only thing it's taught me is to never spend a dime on MWO, so double loss for PGI and double win for me.

Edited by Ex Atlas Overlord, 25 October 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#31 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

We do not conduct in-game moderation based simply on the number of reports received. Each case is investigated.
If someone has been suspended or otherwise moderated under the Non-Participation terms it's because we've made an informed determination that they've failed to adequately participate on more than one occasion. Doing 0 damage against the enemy team while piloting an Assault 'Mech, sticking around through most of the match, and somehow racking up a decent amount of Team Damage, is an example of a game that might contribute to a moderation action.
We're not going to look at someone actually participating and flag them for non-participation simply because they ended up dying; that's ludicrous.

That said, most everyone in this thread is on the mark in terms of when Override is appropriate and whether its use would present any conflicts with the terms or spirit of the CoC. If you're going down fighting, and you've clearly participated toward your Teams' effort, you're generally going to be fine.
If you're in the habit of running Override throughout the match just try to be careful about it, and be considerate of your teammates, because things can get a bit tricky there; you're going to receive damage if you hit that line, and damaging yourself throughout the match can put your team at a disadvantage if you're hitting it too hard and end up dying prematurely as a result of your own actions.

#32 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:42 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 25 October 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

We do not conduct in-game moderation based simply on the number of reports received. Each case is investigated.
If someone has been suspended or otherwise moderated under the Non-Participation terms it's because we've made an informed determination that they've failed to adequately participate on more than one occasion. Doing 0 damage against the enemy team while piloting an Assault 'Mech, sticking around through most of the match, and somehow racking up a decent amount of Team Damage, is an example of a game that might contribute to a moderation action.
We're not going to look at someone actually participating and flag them for non-participation simply because they ended up dying; that's ludicrous.

That said, most everyone in this thread is on the mark in terms of when Override is appropriate and whether its use would present any conflicts with the terms or spirit of the CoC. If you're going down fighting, and you've clearly participated toward your Teams' effort, you're generally going to be fine.
If you're in the habit of running Override throughout the match just try to be careful about it, and be considerate of your teammates, because things can get a bit tricky there; you're going to receive damage if you hit that line, and damaging yourself throughout the match can put your team at a disadvantage if you're hitting it too hard and end up dying prematurely as a result of your own actions.
Thanks Alex. So far even though I've been running with override constantly on the only times I've kiled myself with it was in situations such as I'm the last one left vs. 6 enemy 'mechs and I am just pushing over the line to take any of them down with me that I can. Otherwise, my heat generally does not go over 100% during a match. I only overheat when I'm in real dire straights. It's really a last-ditch thing.

Edited by Mole, 25 October 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#33 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostMole, on 25 October 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

Thanks Alex. So far even though I've been running with override constantly on the only times I've kiled myself with it was in situations such as I'm the last one left vs. 6 enemy 'mechs and I am just pushing over the line to take any of them down with me that I can. Otherwise, my heat generally does not go over 100% during a match. I only overheat when I'm in real dire straights. It's really a last-ditch thing.

That's pretty much what you're supposed to do. When surrounded by enemies with no way out, why not go down fighting while dishing out another 100-200 damage without caring about how much heat damage you'll be taking? Death before dishonour!

#34 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

I've died instantly more times than I can count because of the insta-cockpit death crap, even when barely overheating during override.

Its the cause of the majority of my suicide deaths, this issue should have been dealt with a long time ago IMO, and I'm willing to bet that many other players have been reported for exactly this plenty of times.

Especially in situations of impossible situations (6+ vs 1 or worse) or being in a bad position where shutting down would mean a guaranteed death anyway, I hit override and just go at it.

I know that the fix was in the PTS for energy draw, but it should have been hotfixed into the rest of the game at that point as well, or if it had been addressed much longer ago.

I'm no saint and have had my share of team damage accidents, and other frustrations with the day to day dealing of random bs with this game, but you guy's report system is just as easily exploited and greifed as any troll can do in this game.

You PGI guys need to take a long hard look at the report system, and think harder for a better solution for monitoring and moderating what goes on in these games besides just the report spam of butthurt players.

Or at least to have better report options to focus on what the problems really are when it comes to suicides, and other greifing or COC violations.

I'd pay you guys to put a "BEZERKER" report option in, just to have some fun with it and see the data #'s after a week or two.

Edited by Mister D, 25 October 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#35 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Thing about over heating is peoples weapons heat you up. So how can you blame the player if he is under heavy fire when its just as likely that the incoming heat took the mech over the edge.

#36 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Unless you are me. I power down in face of an onslaught and I get a several second timeout.

#37 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

If someone has been suspended or otherwise moderated under the Non-Participation terms it's because we've made an informed determination that they've failed to adequately participate on more than one occasion.

That's interesting, b/c on multiple occasions where I recorded my entire playing sessions I requested that I be informed of which games I violated rules so that I could go back and review them to see exactly what actions I should avoid in the future....only to receive no reply. Other than the vague "don't suicide" copy and paste from the TOS.

That was exactly my sentiment the multiple times it happened, and it's nice to hear someone else views it the same way.

View PostNaduk, on 25 October 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

do not delude your self into thinking that you are some how denying the enemy points or anything

I've actually been mini-banned for that as well.... and the notice email specifically mentioned it was because I was costing my enemy cbills by not shutting down from overheat and letting them kill me.

Of course they worded it in bureaucratese, but it was actually refreshing to hear them say it even semi-bluntly.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not saying I didn't deserve any of the times I've been suspended. A few of them I totally did. I'm just mentioning the times that I was actually playing the game the way it was intended to be played, and still got suspended b/c a few butthurt players spammed the report button.

Edited by Ex Atlas Overlord, 25 October 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#38 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

View PostNaduk, on 25 October 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

trying to eek out every ounce of power from your machine in a tough battle is exactly what its for
if it kills you, that's not report-able

running away from the enemy firing your guns to over heat avoiding them till you suicide
that's report-able, its the same as time wasters who try to preserve their KDR.... non participation

killing your self because you don't like the map also report-able

killing your self to exploit some bug is also report-able

you have nothing to worry about if your using it appropriately (as you have described)

however
do not delude your self into thinking that you are some how denying the enemy points or anything

anyone who has shot you, even if its just 1pt of damage gets a full payout on the assist for your death
the guy who did the most damage gets the assist AND a KMDD score + the value of any taken components
an assist + KMDD is worth more than a solo kill

dealing your maximum damage is something you can be proud of
but don't think for one second that the enemy is upset or has lost anything

A solo kill nets you more than a kill assist and kmdd. Because a kill assist is only a few thousand. A solo kill means you got kmdd and killing blow with a sweet 10k on top of these 2.

Edited by Bohxim, 25 October 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#39 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

I do this all the time...

6v1... you bet im going to focus something down and deprive opfor of the kill.

#40 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

View PostMystere, on 25 October 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

It's not bannable.

I've been told repeatedly how ban-able it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users