Why Not Suicide?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

This is a serious question. I've been playing my Cicada lately and I've recently decided I'm comfortable enough with my own heat management skills that I have just started hitting override at the beginning of the match because I manage my heat well enough that unless I'm in a tooth and nail fight I just don't overheat. And there's nothing worse when when you're in a tooth and nail fight and you overheat just a little bit and- oh look, you shut down. Kiss your *** goodbye. So. If I REALLY need to push my 'mech over 100% I can without the thing just shutting down on me and if I don't need to then I simply won't. This has resulted in a new... I dunno if it's a behavior or just an unintended consequence of me starting to use override, but anyway... When I get into a fight I know that I am not going to be able to walk away from I just push my 'mech to the breaking point now and inflict as much damage as I possibly can before my reactor melts down. This results in suicides more often than it does the enemy team bringing me down. I notice that the match score screen gives you a red "SUICIDE -1" but... it doesn't seem to effect your CBill or XP earnings at all. And as far as I know, doing what I'm doing is not against the CoC since I'm not suiciding out of non-participation, I'm just trying to inflict as much damage as I can before I melt when I'm in a situation where I am gonna die anyway. So... is there any reason NOT to do this...?

#2 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostMole, on 25 October 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

So... is there any reason NOT to do this...?

Yes, PGI will ban you for using over ride and dying in a fight.

Don't ask me why using a feature they put in the game, for it's intended purpose is ban worthy..... but it is.

#3 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostEx Atlas Overlord, on 25 October 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

Don't ask me why using a feature they put in the game, for it's intended purpose is ban worthy..... but it is.

Seriously? That's dumb. Like, really dumb. Okay then, I guess I'll stop using it.

#4 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostMole, on 25 October 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

Seriously? That's dumb. Like, really dumb. Okay then, I guess I'll stop using it.

I think it just counts against your penalty timer for dc's and tks. As long as you aren't suiciding every match, you probably won't have a problem. I could be wrong though.

#5 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

Ha ha ha, I certainly haven't been suiciding in my Huntsman when I know things aren't going my way, no siree.

But really, they don't consider it a bannable offense, do they? You don't even need to override, if you generate enough heat. Surely they wouldn't put a feature into the game and then ban people who use it.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

It's not bannable.

#7 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

People who intentionally non participate by suiciding get reported and maybe eventually punished. If you are actively fighting and die by over heating then no one should report you. It's a valid and sometimes required tactic.

#8 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:04 PM

Using the override feature to basically go out swinging in combat is not bannable.

Suiciding by walking into the enemy team just because you hate the map choice, intentionally avoiding combat to walk out of bounds, overheating to death because of X reason that you feel the need to express in salt... that's reportable.

#9 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostEx Atlas Overlord, on 25 October 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

I call total BS on this.

State your source, and quote it here (with link) or admit you're talking out of your exhaust port and retract this claim.

It is NOT bannable to hit override and go out in a blaze of glory.

#10 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

Getting reported means nothing unless you are doing something wrong.

I always keep override on if I am surrounded or trying to clean up cookies. I probably die in 1 of every 10 matches because of this while in combat. If they can not kill me before I overheat, this is not my fault, and I usually get an extra 30-60 damage or more depending etc etc.

#11 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 25 October 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

I call total BS on this.

State your source, and quote it here (with link) or admit you're talking out of your exhaust port and retract this claim.

It is NOT bannable to hit override and go out in a blaze of glory.

Yeah I have to agree. If I know I am screwed anyway I want to be to overrride the shutdown and keep firing in the hopes of taking one with me. Big difference in that then running out of bounds or going off in a corner and overheating.

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

Definitely not bannable.

I always hit override if I recognize I'm not going to make it out alive. And I'd say even take considerable pride if I manage to overheat-suicide seconds before I would've died anyway.

#13 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

View Postjss78, on 25 October 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Definitely not bannable.

I always hit override if I recognize I'm not going to make it out alive. And I'd say even take considerable pride if I manage to overheat-suicide seconds before I would've died anyway.

Makes me itch every time my ac/20 lands on a recently dead corpse, but I get over it pretty quickly.

#14 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

trying to eek out every ounce of power from your machine in a tough battle is exactly what its for
if it kills you, that's not report-able

running away from the enemy firing your guns to over heat avoiding them till you suicide
that's report-able, its the same as time wasters who try to preserve their KDR.... non participation

killing your self because you don't like the map also report-able

killing your self to exploit some bug is also report-able

you have nothing to worry about if your using it appropriately (as you have described)

however
do not delude your self into thinking that you are some how denying the enemy points or anything

anyone who has shot you, even if its just 1pt of damage gets a full payout on the assist for your death
the guy who did the most damage gets the assist AND a KMDD score + the value of any taken components
an assist + KMDD is worth more than a solo kill

dealing your maximum damage is something you can be proud of
but don't think for one second that the enemy is upset or has lost anything

#15 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

Intentional suicide is bannable.

Such as suiciding ( running off map) when you are still able to fight.

Simply heating override while fighting isn't bannable.

#16 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostN0ni, on 25 October 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

Suiciding by walking into the enemy team just because you hate the map choice,

Even that isn't.

Edited by Steve Pryde, 25 October 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#17 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 25 October 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Even that isn't.

It is when you announce your intentions in All Chat.

#18 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 25 October 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Even that isn't.

He's not wrong. Of course anything is reportable. Whether it is actionable or not is an entirely different question, and one only the devs can actually answer.

#19 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

View PostBilbo, on 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

He's not wrong. Of course anything is reportable. Whether it is actionable or not is an entirely different question, and one only the devs can actually answer.

why not go to CoC. It's down at the bottom page here. >.>

GRIEFING

Engaging in any of the following actions while using PGI services is forbidden:
  • Willfully or repeatedly destroying teammates.
  • Willfully or repeatedly damaging your teammates.
  • Willfully or repeatedly self-destructing one’s ‘Mech, either by overheating, going out-of-bounds, or committing some other form of suicide or intending to cause abnormally early death.
  • Willfully or repeatedly disconnecting from a match.
  • Willfully or repeatedly blocking teammate ‘Mechs or weapon trajectories.
  • Willfully or repeatedly assisting the enemy.
  • Taunting, baiting, or otherwise encouraging players to violate the Code of Conduct.

Willfully means a voluntary, intentional violation of a known legal duty. In other words, the defendant must have acted voluntarily and intentionally and with the specific intent to do something that the law forbids; that is to say, with a purpose either to disobey or disregard the law.

taking the definition and the CoC, we can say that going into battle and overheating, which leads to suiciding, is not against the CoC.

Edited by Scout Derek, 25 October 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#20 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 25 October 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

why not go to CoC. It's down at the bottom page here. >.>

GRIEFING

Engaging in any of the following actions while using PGI services is forbidden:
  • Willfully or repeatedly destroying teammates.
  • Willfully or repeatedly damaging your teammates.
  • Willfully or repeatedly self-destructing one’s ‘Mech, either by overheating, going out-of-bounds, or committing some other form of suicide or intending to cause abnormally early death.
  • Willfully or repeatedly disconnecting from a match.
  • Willfully or repeatedly blocking teammate ‘Mechs or weapon trajectories.
  • Willfully or repeatedly assisting the enemy.
  • Taunting, baiting, or otherwise encouraging players to violate the Code of Conduct.

Willfully means a voluntary, intentional violation of a known legal duty. In other words, the defendant must have acted voluntarily and intentionally and with the specific intent to do something that the law forbids; that is to say, with a purpose either to disobey or disregard the law.

taking the definition and the CoC, we can say that going into battle and overheating, which leads to suiciding, is not against the CoC.

You can bring up the CoC all you want, it obviously doesn't answer the question for the few forum goers that bother to start or answer these threads. This argument has been going on longer than the game is dying arguments. All you can really say is that, if you are acting in good faith, you probably won't have anything to worry about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users