Clpl, Wtf?

72 replies to this topic

#41 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

Soooo basicly this next patch demands no less than a cojkmplete un-install of this pos game for good.
I always said PGI was never a good choice for this game. They are a 3rd rate company completely out of they depth..and we are the ones drowning for it...farwell all...enjoy ur long wait times as another 400 players bail on this pos.

#42 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 12 November 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

I'm not super worried about this change but it was arguably unnecessary. I didn't really realize cLPLs were really dominating in game right now.

I think they couldn't have made it any gentler. I mean the 600m is unchanged, so they only reduced its ability to compete at ~600-800m, and that's not the most common use for cLPLs... Perhaps the Shadow Cat is mourning, but otherwise I don't know?

I would have thought people in general would be more upset about the cUAC changes, but perhaps everyone moved on already.

#43 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostSplashDown, on 12 November 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Soooo basicly this next patch demands no less than a cojkmplete un-install of this pos game for good.
I always said PGI was never a good choice for this game. They are a 3rd rate company completely out of they depth..and we are the ones drowning for it...farwell all...enjoy ur long wait times as another 400 players bail on this pos.

Can I have your stuff?

#44 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:25 AM

I had a thought for balance that might be interesting. Just hear me out for a second. Beam damage becomes bean duration. So a clan er small does 5 damage and has .5 duration. Pulse lasers do .1 less than a laser the same type for their shorter range.

IS would get short duration times, compared to slightly higher durations for the clans for more heat to fire ratio. Pulse lasers might need a bit higher bonus compared to regular lasers duration wise but if you standardized damage ticks I think balancing that whole huge mess would be a lot easier.

#45 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 November 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

I stopped reading the wall of text due to excessive stupidity.

The Clan LPL max range changed, but the optimal range is staying the same at 600m.

The thinking behind the change is because it mostly makes the CERLL pointless, but that's moreso due to duration (1.5s) than anything else. When you're going extreme range, the Clan ERPPC is better option than the CLPL, let alone the CERLL.

Then again any PPC weapon, in this case the C-ERPPC have balance vs the ERLL in these tradeoffs

- That it require you to lead the target, since its mostly an energy weapon but with a touch of ballistic projectile
- lower velocity
- produce more heat

But
+ more dmg (yeah I know it got minor splash dmg)
+ hit and run/ no need to stay longer on target if you know how to lead it
+ anti ECM abilities, getting better with patch.

So yeaah. Pick your flavor for your role. I welcome this change. Im gotten used to both IS and Clan tech, so I can see why they do these changes.

The CLPL, is somewhat between those two.

Edited by Tordin, 12 November 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#46 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hold on.

I ve never used lplse for sniping. For sniping there's far more effective damage/dps builds.

I have used ER larges but in large group chains (for long range). For me personally, not sure what they've tried to fix here. I can't think of a heat effective long range attack using lplse.

For all the things can could be fixed/addressed, this got the preference?

#47 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

The only thing funny about this thread is how Clan mechs continue to dominate in all aspects of the game, yet Clan players continue to complain about IS quirks.

#48 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

Yes, if you lower the range to barely more than Inner Sphere that 1.12 duration should be lowered by 1/3 as well so 0.8 seconds.

#49 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostLupus Aurelius, on 12 November 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

PGI will do what PGI always has done - kneejerk things to death, and no mount of argument will change their minds. They don't read these posts to begin with. Back in open beta, and a year after, we had people posting really good, thought out material (check out Homeless Bill's posts), and Paul and Russ out and out said they were just a disgruntled vocal minority that live on an island...

Ahh, R. Bollocks and P. Inyoureye

That being said, the max range nerf was excessive, 600 optimal with a 1000 max would have been reasonable, that would have been a 200 max reduction. Possibly even a max range in the high 900s. But a 360m reduction is excessive, that was more than half it's falloff.

but hes right we are just the minority of palyers who knows how it works wand we are disgruntled because we know the changes are bad,. but the entire mass of players who have no idea just happily pew pew at each other without noticing and caring about changes.

View PostDavers, on 12 November 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

The only thing funny about this thread is how Clan mechs continue to dominate in all aspects of the game, yet Clan players continue to complain about IS quirks.

because the core players of the is are derp and the few units the is has compared to the clans can simply not save that.

#50 Duke Nedo

• 2,184 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 12 November 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

Yes, if you lower the range to barely more than Inner Sphere that 1.12 duration should be lowered by 1/3 as well so 0.8 seconds.

Define "barely".

#51 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostDuke Nedo, on 12 November 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Define "barely".

obviosuly thats 110m

#52 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 12 November 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

The thing is, the weapons optimal range is much more important than the max range.. yeah its a slightly overdone nerf, but really 700m max realistically usable range (with module) is only a minor nerf from the previous 850-900 ish. Contrary to some peoples view, doing 2 damage for 20 heat at 1100 meters isnt a good use of time.

The IS LPL is already very weak by 660m, so saying it has almost the same range is a touch disingenuous.

If you make the duration 0.8, it syncs too well with C-MPLs, imo. 2xCLPL + 4xCMPL is a 58 point alpha in 2/3 of the time the current laser vomit takes.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 12 November 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#53 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

These nerfs and or buffs really aren't that unforeseen.

I mean look at the C-UAC's they're light years better than IS UAC5's even with their spread.

And for C-LPL they're an obvious pick for your hard hitting lasers, unless your starved for weight and slots then C-ERLL is the next best bet.

But for C-LPL to preform close to C-ERLL at opt and max range is crazy,
I mean the IS-LPL doesn't preform close to the IS-ERLL at all in opt or max range.

#54 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 12 November 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

Posted Image

Meh! Everyone can stuff MWO weapons and so-called "balancing" up where the sun don't shine.

I myself am playing Skyrim Special Edition and working on my HOTAS workstation all weekend long. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 12 November 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#55 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostMystere, on 12 November 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Meh! Everyone can stuff MWO weapons and so-called "balancing" up where the sun don't shine.

I myself am playing Skyrim Special Edition and working on my HOTAS workstation all weekend long. Posted Image

you gonna play skyrim wih hotas? :troll_face:

#56 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostDavers, on 12 November 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

you don't think we remember the days of domination? how matches were so easy because of superior stats. Well some do, and they still cry about it.

#57 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

View PostGrimRiver, on 12 November 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

And for C-LPL they're an obvious pick for your hard hitting lasers, unless your starved for weight and slots then C-ERLL is the next best bet.

But for C-LPL to preform close to C-ERLL at opt and max range is crazy,
I mean the IS-LPL doesn't preform close to the IS-ERLL at all in opt or max range.

In the present meta, the cERLL is never the best bet. Due to its long burn duration it acts as a pointer to show your position to every Gauss/PPC or Quad Gauss sniper on the map. Before you complete your burn you have eaten several Gauss slugs and are lit up by a erPPC or two.

I am not upset about the cLPL change. I used it on the PTS server and it worked fine for me. It certainly did not make me think about taking the cerLL instead. If PGI wants me to use the cerLL then they will have to lower the burn time or make the beams invisible.

#58 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

I have been using them in the optimal range for sometime because this is where you can add 2-4 cmlas and heat sinks plus TC1-2 as a pretty cookie cutter way to think about many clan builds. The clplas just go on top for early peek a boo - which I have zero problem seeing nerfed.

Pretty sure most non assault run an Xl to get 3 islplas or they are going pretty slow or a sub 40 alpha (heavy).

Been seeing most better players using erppcs and learning to aim to keep TTK low enough for the heat.

Also Cerllas is useable on some builds with 3-4 and a macro/trigger discipline (see ECM mech). I do not use them in group play, but they rock in lrm fest events (sad I still end up in the front many times). I think the cerllas is a worry for pgi because of the 1 slot ablity to be put in the head (my guess).

Edited by Chuck Jager, 12 November 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#59 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 12 November 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

I'm not super worried about this change but it was arguably unnecessary. I didn't really realize cLPLs were really dominating in game right now.

Well, you know PGI: about 6 months behind on what is strong.

Which, honestly, is inexcusable since they have MWOWC to collect all the data from in a controlled environment. They don't necessarily need to modify from the most recent live game, since what constitutes a balanced game is a fixed point.

#60 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 12 November 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Well, you know PGI: about 6 months behind on what is strong.

Which, honestly, is inexcusable since they have MWOWC to collect all the data from in a controlled environment. They don't necessarily need to modify from the most recent live game, since what constitutes a balanced game is a fixed point.

Our balance overlord takes feedback?

When was the last time he understood the meta? Dat Trebuchet meta yo!

Edited by Deathlike, 12 November 2016 - 01:11 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users