Viper: Rubbish Mech Or Rubbish Pilot?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:49 PM

So viper for c-bills. I bought one, expecting a clan raven sans ecm.

Half a dozen matches, no more than 200dmg in any.
Observations: for a 120+mph mech with the acceleration quirks, it feels very sluggish.
I went in to ugh my eyes open - 9t is not much space for weapons. I wasn't expecting that it would be so so hot.

Massive nose, not much armour, biggish profile. Seems extremely fragile compared to anything I'd compare it to.

I experimented with a couple of (energy) - seems to lack to lack the pod space for a ranged build, and lack the speed for a brawler type.

So... do I persist, or cut losses and sell?

Anyone have any good experiences with this mech?

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

Well it certainly is hot and fragile, but I would not describe the mech as sluggish. As a rule I never sell mechs, especially as we just got 300 MC for the CW event and half price mech bays are coming soon.

Your best bets are the A or C with stock pods.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spheroid, 14 November 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#3 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

Okay, I'll take heart.

Do you play a close range or long range game with it? Do you go for the backstab aka arctic cheetah, or a poking game?

I bought the 'b' as the variants all look kinda similar, and the ppc velocity quirk made it stand out.

#4 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

Well I play the C as a backstabber/carrion feeder and the A as a poker and hover sniper.

VPR-A = 5x mlas
VPR-C = 5x splas + 4x mg.

Really didn't care for the B, currently have 2x mlas, 2x mplas on it.

#5 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:32 PM

Certainly not a top tier mech but I enjoy it a lot, and perform well enough with it. (I'm an experienced light pilot, it might help) I'm surprised you find it sluggish though.

The mech is pretty fragile, so you need to be careful and patient. On the other hand it's quite manoeuvrable.

I had the most success with all energy builds (it particular I don't like the MG builds, that require you stay on target... best way to get destroyed).
2 ERLLas for long range, it's OK, not great but OK if you have time to work and have good positioning.
4 ERMLas for mid range, it's quite nice. Like on the LLas build, use the high torso mounts to poke without exposing you to much.
9 ERSLas for close range. Requires to be very careful, but pretty effective.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

There are better Mechs.

However, I find it a lot of fun, and quite effective when you apply yourself.

Posted Image

That was yesterday, the match where I finished Basicing it.

Edited by Appogee, 14 November 2016 - 11:09 PM.

#7 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:43 AM

With your flat birdprofile and those high torso energy mounts you can do some ERLLaser or ER PPC sniping.
Fire one or two volleys and then RUUUUUUNNNNN and jump. Take a new position, repeat.
Since you cant remove those JJs you should use them to get to where you can't be folowed.
And since most of the guys and girls think backarmor is overrated....well dual ERLLaser or some PPC bolts to the spine will make them wiggle a lot.Posted Image

#8 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:13 AM

View Postepikt, on 14 November 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

Certainly not a top tier mech but I enjoy it a lot, and perform well enough with it. (I'm an experienced light pilot, it might help) I'm surprised you find it sluggish though.

The mech is pretty fragile, so you need to be careful and patient. On the other hand it's quite manoeuvrable.

I had the most success with all energy builds (it particular I don't like the MG builds, that require you stay on target... best way to get destroyed).
2 ERLLas for long range, it's OK, not great but OK if you have time to work and have good positioning.
4 ERMLas for mid range, it's quite nice. Like on the LLas build, use the high torso mounts to poke without exposing you to much.
9 ERSLas for close range. Requires to be very careful, but pretty effective.

I have been running around in Ravens a lot lately. Might be why it seems slow. It also doesn't seem to spread damage as well - feels more fragile than a raven or an arctic cheetah.

Thx for the build advice. Will give it another run tonight.

#9 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:30 AM

With it's speed and jump capability, running something like ERLL or ERPPC seems like a waste, because the ERLL reduces the mech to very passive and immobile play, and only being able to fit one ERPPC is kinda weak. The mech is fast, small, and super jumpy, so it can very easily and very quickly go where it needs to be in order to deal damage. For this reason, I advise foremost in bringing cSPL or cERML.

For cSPL, you can choose to bring 6x cSPL (avoid the Hero variant arms, they're more trouble than they're worth), or 5x cSPL + 4x MG with the stock omnipods on the VPR-C. The choice is yours - I feel like both builds are pretty equal.

For cERML, you can bring 5x cERML (make sure all five are in the torso), but you can even bring 6x cERML with one in the arm if you like it hot (I do.)

Another option is 4x cMPL.

And further... you could do 7x cERSL or as much as 9x cERSL.

I would say that the Viper competes for best non-ECM light mech in the game. And if you think it's a medium mech... then you're not playing it to its strengths. Also, it spreads damage incredibly well if you know how to dance.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 15 November 2016 - 03:32 AM.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:39 AM

Posted Image

Medusa with 10 ER SL is amazing

4 medium pulses or 5 er mediums works too

10 SL is usually enough to blow off IS XL engines when you sneak up on unsuspecting lrm-boats or gauss snipers

Viper vs. a light usually ends in the Vipers demise.Its a hit and fade mech.

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

VPR-C:
1x ERLL
4x SL
4x MG

Hang back and poke, Small Lasers and MGs are to prey on the weak or defend yourself when cornered.

#12 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for advice all. I bought the a and c variants. They do better. Still far from my 'best' mech, but better.

The b is fun. I think the 50%quirk to ppc velocity is the best available to any clan mech. It helps with accuracy at long range. But with only 1, and needing to use energy as secondary weapons to keep the quirk, it runs really hot. Still, jumping around shooting the Ppc feels like what this mech was made for. But even doing well, shooting for most of a match, hitting most of the time and surviving, I'm still lucky to break 300dmg.

I ran the missile omnipods with srm4s in them, on the c with small lasers (both er and pulse). Again not really super viable, better heat, but horrible convergence.

I've come to the conclusion that this mech is very much wedded to using erml / ersl. Arctic cheetah does small pulses so much better. I haven't had many drops with the mgs yet, but will give them a run. I haven't found them very useful on the shadowcat, but the viper is smaller. Still the quirks on the c don't seem good enough compared to having 5high torso mounted energy hard points.

Anyway, just sharing your thoughts, please let me know if there is anything I've not considered.

#13 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

View PostRear Admiral Tier 6, on 17 November 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Posted Image

Medusa with 10 ER SL is amazing

4 medium pulses or 5 er mediums works too

10 SL is usually enough to blow off IS XL engines when you sneak up on unsuspecting lrm-boats or gauss snipers

Viper vs. a light usually ends in the Vipers demise.Its a hit and fade mech.

To me 6 CSPL is enough. K/d is 2.67 in randoms. The main difference is quirks. If you don't change your omnis, Medusa is way more controlable thanks to +60% to acceleration and deceleration, 30% turn rate and 35% torso rate. +10% to range and +5% to heat can help as well. I choose better control before more firepower, for light mechs (and Medusa is light by its gameplay) it's very important.

Posted Image

Edited by Kshahdoo, 09 January 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#14 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

I run 1 large pulse and 3 mediums on mine. Treat it as a fast and sneaky lazer vomit.

#15 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

So... if you try to peek infront of another mech by moving left and right... blocking his shots.. are you a Vindscreen Viper?

#16 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 10 January 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

So... if you try to peek infront of another mech by moving left and right... blocking his shots.. are you a Vindscreen Viper?

Lol, people nowadays just don't give a **** are you friend or foe, so I woudn't recommend you to block anybody's shots for too long with your Viper, or you risk to finish the match too early. If you get in your allies' shooting sector, you gotta do it for a very brief moment and only if you're 100% sure you make a final shot.

Edited by Kshahdoo, 11 January 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#17 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Vipers are very effective once you get how you're supposed to bounce around battlefield. I would suggest trying viper C with 5 CERSL, 4MG, 2 tons of ammo and 3 extra heatsinks. Open up back armour with lazors or wait someone to remove front armour for you and go mad with machine guns.

Here's a match from today with medusa with pretty similar build but with 1 more CERSL, ½ a ton less ammo and without MG quirks, C model would be better for this build than medusa but sold mine before MG's were buffed.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I killed marauder IIC and warhawk from the back with the machine guns but got my arms shot off and ran out of ammo so I was useless in the endgame, C model would be better because it has center torso laser and switching one small laser to mg ammo isn't that bad when you get 20% more firerate due to the quirks.

Edited by Trollfeed, 11 January 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#18 Redscyte

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

i hated the viper, i could pull off numbers like that guy, but it was just so much easier to do on a cheetah. Then i got Huntsman, and man i think huntsman is just the worst clan mech atm

#19 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

well theres always a few ways to play a mech, i personally use my viper as a small nova with 10 ER small lasers and 1 small pulse laser, it makes for a perfect hit and run mech, unload heat then get out of there while you cool off.

Its a mech that particularly excells at getting behind and tearing up the guy at the very back, possibly someone who gets cut-off from their team, especially with the sheer amount of jumpjets allowing it to make just about any jump and even some that others would find impossible.

#20 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

For me personally, the IFR is actually better despite not having jumpjets because:

It runs a lot cooler with similar loadouts (SPL's and SRM's), goes the same speed, has better hitboxes, and has the armor and structure advantage of being 45 tons and not 40 tons, which there is a quite noticeable disparity between 40 and 45 tonners when it comes to overall health.

When I tried out and elited the Viper, I was really impressed with the mobility, 'meh' about the rather annoying reoccurring heat problem in every build, and really turned off by the fact that the arms kept getting destroyed, way more often than the legs (which get targeted a lot and are huge), despite making full use of its capabilities. So it loses firepower quickly when engaged and is prone to being legged due to gigantic legs.

It's like a giant SDR with more firepower, only easier to hit and disable.

Edited by MadHornet, 17 January 2017 - 08:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users