Grid Iron

29 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

So, like many players I am running some hunchbacks expecting to gain the grid iron hero mech in the current challenge.

The builds on most of the hunchies seems almost prescribed by the quirks, given their specificity to certain weapons.

But I'm a bit underwhelmed my the idea of a gauss rifle and a few medium lasers. So far I have found the hunchie to be a pretty good brawler, tankier than a centurion etc.

I use a std 220. But I can see that the longer range focus of the grid iron might alliw for a bigger xl. Maybe.
Build I am considerin is 2 x ac5 as it seems to make the most of the quirks, without need for a gauss. Maybe with an xl I can fit in a large laser back up weapon? Otherwise as many med lasers as there are slots.

So, please share your ideas, builds...

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostGrumpyMuppet, on 20 November 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

So, like many players I am running some hunchbacks expecting to gain the grid iron hero mech in the current challenge.

The builds on most of the hunchies seems almost prescribed by the quirks, given their specificity to certain weapons.

But I'm a bit underwhelmed my the idea of a gauss rifle and a few medium lasers. So far I have found the hunchie to be a pretty good brawler, tankier than a centurion etc.

I use a std 220. But I can see that the longer range focus of the grid iron might alliw for a bigger xl. Maybe.
Build I am considerin is 2 x ac5 as it seems to make the most of the quirks, without need for a gauss. Maybe with an xl I can fit in a large laser back up weapon? Otherwise as many med lasers as there are slots.

So, please share your ideas, builds...

You summed up the problem of building a GI pretty succinctly. That's pretty much it. Choose the 2AC5, Gauss, or if you don't have a 4G an AC20. Everything else you can do with it sucks, mainly because of those godawful under arm energy hard points. I just gave up and run the Gauss on mine as I rarely run Gauss at all, the 2 AC5s felt weak, and I have numerous other mechs with some assortment of an AC20 and MLs. Good luck.

#3 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

I bought the GI-HBK the day it was introduced - the special edition w/ cheerleader. Still my most played mech. It's hard points are a bit scattered, but if you don't want to get creative you can run your standard G load out: AC20/3ML's.

Dual AC5 is fun, or AC5/AC2 can work too. I've even used MG's and asrm6 to some up close work. As much as I love the thump of AC20, I find myself using the AC10 for ammo efficiency and range. If you don't jump in the thick of things an XL engine is possible. Sometimes it's just fun to bring along a LRM10 just because you can.

#4 Mr Death

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

Gauss charge ruins any chance of using a single gauss decently.

#5 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:05 PM

Just to be clear. I have the G: "best ac20 in the game". Thanks to the quirks. It is good fun. But it means I won't run the ac20 on the gridiron.

I hadn't considered the ac10 nor the 5&2 combination, thanks for the suggestion. Do the uac5 & ac2 both fit, seem like a good combo... kinda a wannabe Dakka.

#6 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:16 PM

I find a single Utra 5 jams to often but that's me.

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:36 PM

I had games on boreal where i went through 110 gaussrounds with the GI (with current quirks+cd mod).

#8 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

You can always build a clone of the 4G, AC20 + 3ML then get 50% more CB with it.
Otherwise any build is for fun.
I cheesed the missing 4N on it, AC + LRM10 + MLs.

#9 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

I used to run double ultra-AC5 on mine with medium lasers for when (not if) I ran out of ammo. The high and close together hardpoints are great for several reasons. With jam chances increased lately, those bullets might last a little longer, but I'm not too sure since the poor thing has been gathering dust ever since I bought Enforcers

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 20 November 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

then get 50% more CB with it.

Actually, the bonus is 30% only.

#11 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:15 AM

I just was clicking around in smurfy and came up with this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...56035da7aa4e50f

Idk how well it would work but I’ll try it out when the event drops the mech.

#12 Mech Nuggets

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHalfway down in Curry Sauce

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:32 AM

View PostKuaron, on 21 November 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

I just was clicking around in smurfy and came up with this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...56035da7aa4e50f

Idk how well it would work but I’ll try it out when the event drops the mech.

you probably forgot to put the armor on the head, as you still have tonnage left to fit the head with armor. or smurfy saved a little buggy.
I was shocked at first sight of that 0 head armor though ... gave me the chills, then I saw the tonnage left and was kinda relieved.
However, I'd run the GI with Gauss.
Considering your layout, I'd swap one of the AC2 Ammo for another UAC5 ton...
Also distribute the armor a little more efficently, you'll be facing the enemy rather than a hit and run playstyle, so 12 points is far too much... http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cde119a25373dbe
not saying it will work or be fun, but alternatives should always be investigated

#13 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:55 AM

Unfortunately it's just not a particularly good mech. It was briefly interesting when it had a ludicrous 50%? cooldown on gauss, but since that's been taken away it's back to being a sub-par copy of the 4G. I'll probably go AC10 and 3mpl with a standard 250 for survivability. I expect it will be shelved once i've elited it though...

#14 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:47 AM

View PostMech Nuggets, on 21 November 2016 - 01:32 AM, said:

you probably forgot to put the armor on the head, as you still have tonnage left to fit the head with armor. or smurfy saved a little buggy.
I was shocked at first sight of that 0 head armor though ... gave me the chills, then I saw the tonnage left and was kinda relieved.
However, I'd run the GI with Gauss.
Considering your layout, I'd swap one of the AC2 Ammo for another UAC5 ton...
Also distribute the armor a little more efficently, you'll be facing the enemy rather than a hit and run playstyle, so 12 points is far too much... http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cde119a25373dbe
not saying it will work or be fun, but alternatives should always be investigated

You are right about the ammo.
Concidering armour, it's just a smurfy concept, not an actual build I'm going to start a match with. Ofc in game the armour would be put to the front and the remaining half ton put into more armour. In smourphy it's just annoying klicking.

#15 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:29 AM

will test 3 medpulse and gauss with std engine when i got mine. Not a lot of ammo and with the laser quirk, can cut an open limb fast with the pulse. I find strange a gauss with xl engine in the same torso...

#16 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

You mean, after your Gauss explodes and takes your half torso and arm, you imagine to stay useful to your team with what is left of your little medium Gauss carrier?

#17 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:36 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f6151c098769b3

what i came up with, down size the engine a bit, still go 87k, readjust armor values, and i came up with 2 large pulse 1 lbx 10 with 30 shots.

#18 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

2 large pulse, 2 mg, streak 2, med laser, 15 dhs, 275 xl, 288 armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ff2365cf48cd627

#19 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

View PostLege, on 24 November 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

2 large pulse, 2 mg, streak 2, med laser, 15 dhs, 275 xl, 288 armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ff2365cf48cd627

But... Why... A single ssrm 2 will be frustrating, you are too slow to face hug with mgs. The lpl will suffer low mounts. I think you'd be better off dropping the mg and ssrm for more heatsinks.

#20 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:19 AM

GI is a bad mech, plain and simple. There are other 50-tonner that will earn you C-bills more consistently. It is not meta.

Therefore I give you this: DERP IRON LRM20+A AC2 2xML TAG.
At least you can test the buffs LRM20 and the AC2 received in the latest patch.

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 20 November 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

I had games on boreal where i went through 110 gaussrounds with the GI (with current quirks+cd mod).

I had a game on Boreal where I did 1400 damage by using one mech throughout the whole match.
During that time my friend used 4 mechs and did 3500 damage...

Edited by Kmieciu, 28 November 2016 - 02:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users