Battletech/mechwarrior Movie?

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Battletech/mechwarrior Movie? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support a BT/MW movie kickstarter?

1. Yes (69 votes [83.13%])

Percentage of vote: 83.13%

2. No (14 votes [16.87%])

Percentage of vote: 16.87%

How should it be done?

1. Feature length movie (23 votes [27.71%])

Percentage of vote: 27.71%

2. TV series (16 votes [19.28%])

Percentage of vote: 19.28%

3. Mini series (like Band of Brothers or Sherlock) (37 votes [44.58%])

Percentage of vote: 44.58%

4. Other (explain) (7 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

View PostThomster, on 01 December 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

Well, the longer this topic grows with posts, the bigger my suspicion grows, that the topic might need some renaming. The question wether we would like to see a Mechwarrior movie is basically: yes, we want! What obviously bugs us all is the fear, that it could turn out to be a bad one. So from here on out we might perhaps rather discuss what said movie would need to be good, what stories would be valuable etc.

I think the story of Wolf's Dragoons could be perfect for a series.

It starts with them leaving Clan space and progresses through their time with each faction, eventually leading up to the Clan invasion itself. It'd be a perfect way to introduce all the factions and it's a good story as well.

From there it could shift to Victor around the time of operation Bulldog and continue on through the Civil war.

IMO this would work best as a mini series like Band of Brothers or a TV series with each IS faction getting about a quarter of season 1 with season 2 being the Clan invasion ending with operation Bulldog. Season 3 would be the Civil war.

Edited by TheArisen, 01 December 2016 - 11:33 PM.

#22 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 December 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

I think the story of Wolf's Dragoons could be perfect for a series.

It starts with them leaving Clan space and progresses through their time with each faction, eventually leading up to the Clan invasion itself. It'd be a perfect way to introduce all the factions and it's a good story as well.

From there it could shift to Victor around the time of operation Bulldog and continue on through the Civil war.

IMO this would work best as a mini series like Band of Brothers or a TV series with each IS faction getting about a quarter of season 1 with season 2 being the Clan invasion ending with operation Bulldog. Season 3 would be the Civil war.

There is much more material than could possibly be covered in that span of episodes. Besides, there are 5 great houses so giving a quarter to each adds up to 5 quarters not counting the smaller states such as the FRR.

#23 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostJep, on 02 December 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

There is much more material than could possibly be covered in that span of episodes. Besides, there are 5 great houses so giving a quarter to each adds up to 5 quarters not counting the smaller states such as the FRR.

Well then I think it'd be fine to split up the houses between two seasons. However the unfortunate fact is pieces of the story will need to be cut in order to adapt it for a mini series or TV show.

For a mini series, it could be 10 feature length episodes like BoB. If we leave off the civil war there could be an episode for each great house and 5 episodes for the clan invasion & operation bulldog.

I don't think the Dragoons worked for the FRR but idk. The FRR could be introduced in the Steiner episode/s because the Dragoons always stated they wouldn't fight against their previous immediate employer.

#24 MedivalJ

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

1) Why not all three?

View PostTheArisen, on 02 December 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Well then I think it'd be fine to split up the houses between two seasons. However the unfortunate fact is pieces of the story will need to be cut in order to adapt it for a mini series or TV show.

For a mini series, it could be 10 feature length episodes like BoB. If we leave off the civil war there could be an episode for each great house and 5 episodes for the clan invasion & operation bulldog.

I don't think the Dragoons worked for the FRR but idk. The FRR could be introduced in the Steiner episode/s because the Dragoons always stated they wouldn't fight against their previous immediate employer.

2) Idk, a mini-series, or tv show, could have a Game of Thrones setup to it. (disclaimer: I haven't actually seen GoT. I'm going off of story excerpts explained from people who have watched it and a quick search relating to plot.)

3) For the movie just make something up which relates to the story and hire Michael Bay...

#25 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

as an introduction to battletech, they should obviously do a movie or series about a group of solaris VII participants. you could hint the vast lore that way without having to go full lorewarrior in the progress, which would apeal to a broader audience. you would have diverse settings for battles to show of different techs and you can do so while using more or less renowned bt characters.

and duncan.

seriously though, it would propably be a bad idea to go with a novel based campaign or specific battles because a movie (and propably even a miniseries) would lack the time to properly tell what it needs to tell when it needs to introduce the whole "WHY IS THIS EVEN HAPPENING" part first.

#26 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

View PostMedivalJ, on 02 December 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

3) For the movie just make something up which relates to the story and hire Michael Bay...

The only thing Michael Bay can do well is explosions and that is it. The rest is semi-soggy crap.

#27 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:44 AM

View PostMedivalJ, on 02 December 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

1) Why not all three?

2) Idk, a mini-series, or tv show, could have a Game of Thrones setup to it. (disclaimer: I haven't actually seen GoT. I'm going off of story excerpts explained from people who have watched it and a quick search relating to plot.)

1. This would be BT's revival for a larger audience. Warcraft only recently got a movie and at one point WoW had over 15 million players. In all probability there'd only be one chance for this so it'd need to be the one most likely to be successful.

2. GoT essentially was rewritten to be a TV series. Yeah it was largely the same but like the recent Marvel & DC movies they're different from their book versions. Any BT story would need this to be adapted for TV, etc. Although they could follow Kai Allard during his time on Solaris to do your idea.

3. Bay is good for explosions and flashy action but that's it. I'd like someone capable of exploring the politics and scheming as well as having epic action scenes. The right director would be able to show the good and bad of each faction.

#28 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostGabrielSun, on 30 November 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

Since PR is the only giant robot fighting movie we have an example of it is relevant.
You forget Robot Jox, Mech-X4 and pretty much the entire Super Sentai ("Power Rangers") franchise. Oh yes, also some truly obscure Japanese stuff like Planzet or Super Robot Red Baron.

Edited by Horseman, 03 December 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#29 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

If there will be a live action Mechwarrior Movie we have to consider that it’s supposed to attract and entertain people to whom the Battletech universe is completely unknown. And thats the part us die hard fans always will dislike every decision to make Mechwarrior better digestable for the „masses“.

Another point is, that it can’t be just a single movie. It should be here to stay. So I am talking at least a triology. But what it might need is he start of a complete franchise. A carefully constructed roadmap not unlike the MCU. (Since Mechwarrior Cinematic Universe shares the abbreviation we should rather call it Battletech Cinematic Universe)

Of course there is the decision what comes first: The chicken or the egg? In that case it’s either a TV series that culminates in a movie and produces spin-offs, or a movie that is pretty much immediately followed by a tv series to fill gaps and deliver origin stories.

TV series before the movie:
  • Pro: You can introduce the theme and characters to an audience, so you can start the movie within an established universe.
  • Con: If the TV series fails to deliver (and a whole weak season is harder to forgive than just a weak movie), the whole forthcoming movies and series is on the brink.

Movie before TV series.
  • Pro: Introduce BT to the masses with a bang. It’s would be ingularity of attention and would not even have to be that sophisticated to attract a bigger viewership.
  • Con: You are basically starting at zero with the audiences knowledge about BT and MW. So it might be a little 1st grade for us fans.

Let’s face it, the movie we would like to see might not be the one that a unprepared audience (which you unfortunately need to make a buck to carry on the BCU succesfully) would appreciate. That shouldn’t be an excuse to just make a movie on pure effect. Baybombs (or BomBay if you like Posted Image ) won’t be enough to create a lasting impression with the theme.

Since I don’t want this posting to become a wall of text let me outline the basic principle on how I would setup a roadmap:
  • It would start with a kickass kickoff movie starting with the first battle between Yorinaga Kurita and Morgan Kell. Then Intro. Then basically the first book of the warrior triology. Filled with hints and flashbacks.
  • Within 3 months of the launch of the movie there would be a mini series (6-10 episodes) telling the story of the Grey Death Legion and giving background to Losttech and the Memory Core. Perhaps also a good place to go deeper into the Starleague.
  • Second Warrior Triology Movie, weaving in parallel happening events like the Morgan – Yorinaga conflict. Going deeper into the Dragoon mystery.
  • Within 3 months of the launch of the second movie a full season series focusing on the political framework of the inner sphere with red threats but more episodic and using substories of the big book arcs, short stories or even new material (of course within the lore.
  • Second mini Series within the „Heir to the Dragon“ range as a prequel to the third Warrior Triology Movie.
  • Third Warrior Triology Movie, conclusion of the Morgan – Yorinaga conflict, conclusion of the Dragoon – Kurita conflict. Hint the dawn of the coming Clan Invasion.
  • Standalone Movie about the Star League, Amaris Coup and Kerenskis Exodus
  • First Blood of Kerensky Movie
  • Second Season of the Inner Sphere Series
  • Second Blood of Kerensky Movie
  • Third mini Series: Jade Falcon / Pryde
  • Third Blood of Kerensky Movie

It’s probably mute to go furter, but that’s about how I would spin that yarn so far ...

... and it IS a wall of text. Sorry.

#30 MedivalJ

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 03 December 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

1. This would be BT's revival for a larger audience. Warcraft only recently got a movie and at one point WoW had over 15 million players. In all probability there'd only be one chance for this so it'd need to be the one most likely to be successful.

2. GoT essentially was rewritten to be a TV series. Yeah it was largely the same but like the recent Marvel & DC movies they're different from their book versions. Any BT story would need this to be adapted for TV, etc. Although they could follow Kai Allard during his time on Solaris to do your idea.

3. Bay is good for explosions and flashy action but that's it. I'd like someone capable of exploring the politics and scheming as well as having epic action scenes. The right director would be able to show the good and bad of each faction.

1) I didn't say they had to all be done at the same time. It'd be foolish to try and force 3 different types of media for audiences which have no background into BT. I'm just citing my approval for all three ideas, if and/or when they were to be introduced.

2) Again, speaking from what others have told me concerning GoT, I merely made the suggestion due to the fact that BT is a vast universe and some of the components, which you yourself mentioned, could be used in the development of a BT series.

3) Michael Bay, while enjoyable, was mentioned as a joke in my last comment. If the idea were to be implemented, he would not be my first choice for a BT movie. As such, I agree with your preferences for how such a media should be portrayed for BT and in fact share them.

#31 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

Personally, for a director, I would prefer Roland Emmerich. He did good with Stargate, Independence Day, and Independence Day: Resurgence. In my opinion, he is one of the finest sci-fi directors today.

#32 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostJep Jorgensson, on 13 December 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

Personally, for a director, I would prefer Roland Emmerich. He did good with Stargate, Independence Day, and Independence Day: Resurgence. In my opinion, he is one of the finest sci-fi directors today.

While RolEm is a very good Blockbuster Cinematographer, he might lack the finesse to describe the personal, political dimensions of the BT universe. As much as I like seeing giant a$$ robots fight each other, I would love to see the political thriller that is the turmoil between the houses, the personal drama of a Kai Allard and Deirdre Lear and the mystery around Comstar. This is not one story to tell, with probably a sequel afterwards. This is a universe that needs to be exlored in debth on multiple levels.

He is a fine director, I give you that hands down. But he might not be the right one for this endavor. But hey, I'd love to see me proven differently :-)

#33 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

Who would you suggest then?

#34 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:10 AM

View PostJep Jorgensson, on 13 December 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

What about Scott Derrickson? His last movie was Doctor Strange.
https://en.wikipedia...cott_Derrickson

#35 Trez91

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

Why not a new animated series?

#36 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:19 AM

View PostJep Jorgensson, on 13 December 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

I was thinking involving Ridley Scott could turn out well. We would need epic, gritty, with a realistic touch. He was involved in Alien, Blade Runner, Prometheus, The Martian etc. Short: the Lot. Here's his IMDB profile. He would know to orchestrate the kickstart of a media franchise BT would need to last. And there is way too much meat on that bone to just waste it on one single movie.

View PostTrez91, on 15 December 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

Why not a new animated series?

Well, on first sight, since there was one once, it's a bit on the nose. Thing is, BT should probably not get back into the focus of a wider public with a cartoonish impression, as realisticly done as an animated series might be.

#37 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:23 AM

Well I think you have to choose - a thriller or mechs.

As soon as there are Mechs it might become trash. The script is as important as the main actors - and hands down all those BT main chars are very poorly designed.
Also every guy and his brother might have an idea how Hanse, Theodore.... look like.

So instead of the interstellar players BT need to move to the peripherie the daily hardship on a planet near a border, showing arrogant warlords waging war on their personal agenda oblivious to the suffering and dying of civilans

heck if made correct with some "hints" to our societys problems - Mechs could become not protagonists but the machines of war the main act might try to avoid.

Hm think of "Children of Men" style:

A mother in mid 30s want to bring her family from the warzone into the saefty of a hut somewhere in the hills. In a former live she might have been trained by Loki or similar but somehow despite the hard and cruel training she kept her humanity. Deserting on her second deployment - she has the ability to survive and protect - but neither the Invaders nor the local guerellias should ever know about her history..... a single MechFight might resolve towards the end (because as loki she has the knowlege to pilot one - not good of course - so maybe she captures a Hunchback and get hacked into pieces by a commando before she is able to hit that sucker-

#38 AKing49

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

Aidens Prydes story line would make a great mini series.

#39 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

I still think the Wolf's Dragoons story would be the best way to introduce all the factions, both IS and Clan. There's tons of good characters like the Wolf brothers, Natasha Kerensky, Snord, Shelly Brubaker, etc.

#40 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:07 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 December 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

I still think the Wolf's Dragoons story would be the best way to introduce all the factions, both IS and Clan. There's tons of good characters like the Wolf brothers, Natasha Kerensky, Snord, Shelly Brubaker, etc.

Crossed my mind as well. Thing is, a major aspect of the Wolf Dragoons appeal is the mystery that surrounds them until the reveal that they were Clan. That would be one major spoiler if given practically away. Making the Dragoons subject to one or more movies or a series is a no brainer though. So much to tell there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users