Battletech/mechwarrior Movie?

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Battletech/mechwarrior Movie? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support a BT/MW movie kickstarter?

1. Yes (69 votes [83.13%])

Percentage of vote: 83.13%

2. No (14 votes [16.87%])

Percentage of vote: 16.87%

How should it be done?

1. Feature length movie (23 votes [27.71%])

Percentage of vote: 27.71%

2. TV series (16 votes [19.28%])

Percentage of vote: 19.28%

3. Mini series (like Band of Brothers or Sherlock) (37 votes [44.58%])

Percentage of vote: 44.58%

4. Other (explain) (7 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostThomster, on 21 December 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

Crossed my mind as well. Thing is, a major aspect of the Wolf Dragoons appeal is the mystery that surrounds them until the reveal that they were Clan. That would be one major spoiler if given practically away. Making the Dragoons subject to one or more movies or a series is a no brainer though. So much to tell there.

Hmm perhaps them being clanners could be kept from the audience? Only to be revealed once the Clans invade?

#42 F0gh0rn Legh0rn

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

join in a share about this idea on facebook too.

https://www.facebook...91857264205020/

#43 Helcries

Rookie

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:07 AM

I would totally go for a MW / BT movie, but honestly would prefer a TV series, or mini series.

Personally I think that the best bet would be to start with 1 of the more moderate large houses and pick an early timeline, then as the series, or what ever progress's add in more content, until you got something like how Netflix is doing the defenders. Separate out a series per each of the major houses, a series focusing on the different major Merc companies, and eventually bring in the Clan invasion, with 2 series 1 focusing on the Wolf's and their philosophy, and another on Jade Falcon and their philosophy. So you have perspectives from how the Invasion is affecting each major house, the Merc's, the different clam mind sets, and hell why not go for broke and add another series or 2 focus'd around Comstar, and Jumpship pilots.

Something were a proof of concept could get crowdfunded, and then see how the interwebs likes it and IF a few companies would get together and toss in to get it produced.

Just my couple of pennies worth of idea's. Below is off topic, but I felt it was something worth sharing.

Although I saw a few comments about how PR was the only example of a Giant robot movie. But you could always check out Robot Jox (Horrible CGI, but awesome for it's time, Plus fairly cheesy acting if I remember right.) I think I remember seeing others but I got a fairly ****** memory, so not pulling any names off the top o my head.

Edited by Helcries, 01 January 2017 - 06:14 AM.

#44 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostHelcries, on 31 December 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

I would totally go for a MW / BT movie, but honestly would prefer a TV series, or mini series.

Personally I think that the best bet would be to start with 1 of the more moderate large houses and pick an early timeline, then as the series, or what ever progress's add in more content, until you got something like how Netflix is doing the defenders. Separate out a series per each of the major houses, a series focusing on the different major Merc companies, and eventually bring in the Clan invasion, with 2 series 1 focusing on the Wolf's and their philosophy, and another on Jade Falcon and their philosophy. So you have perspectives from how the Invasion is affecting each major house, the Merc's, the different clam mind sets, and hell why not go for broke and add another series or 2 focus'd around Comstar, and Jumpship pilots.

Something were a proof of concept could get crowdfunded, and then see how the interwebs likes it and IF a few companies would get together and toss in to get it produced.

Just my couple of pennies worth of idea's. Below is off topic, but I felt it was something worth sharing.

Although I saw a few comments about how PR was the only example of a Giant robot movie. But you could always check out Robot Jox (Horrible CGI, but awesome for it's time, Plus fairly cheesy acting if I remember right.) I think I remember seeing others but I got a fairly ****** memory, so not pulling any names off the top o my head.

Yeah it's certainly true the only realistic expectation of crowd funding is getting this dream off the ground. I'm cautiously optimistic about this but it'd be a huge project even if Pgi, Hairbrained, Catalyst and even Microsoft got behind this movie/series thing.

Perhaps the best option would be some 45 minute animated movies focusing on the houses & clans?

#45 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

A Netflix style tv series would be the best way for them to tell a story and make it more than just "transformers with pilots". I would love for them to have great character political development and really dig into the universe and not just mech battles. And when doing Mech battles, I would really hope that it's not over done like a Michael Bay movie where the action becomes drawn out, pointless, and almost painful to watch as you wait for a resolution.

#46 Vidarion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

A combination of all of the above...

Personally, I like the way BattleStar Galactica was 'rebooted'. First a tv mini-series, then a longer episodic series. I could totally see a mini-series focused on Aleksandr Kerensky's story starting in 2750 through the Exodus. Then turn that into a summary intro for various focused series (the Succession Wars, something on the creation / evolution of the Clans, etc) and focused movies (BT: Gray Death Legion, BT: Wolf's Dragoons, BT: The Phelan Kell story, BT: End of the Smoke Jaguars, etc). Then you can go into a prequel series about the chaos that resulted in the Star League.

Heck, you could even take some of the more story-driven computer games (Crescent Hawks series, MechCommander Gold series) and turn those into movies also.

#47 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

A crowdfunded movie about giant robot combat is usually a bad idea, just because they can't afford decent special effects. Script be darned, you'd end up with a cheesy film. You'd WANT Pacific Rim, you'd GET Robot Jox.

So go get yourself a copy of Robot Jox and watch it on a loop until your brain melts. That will cure your obsession. =P

#48 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

If it is anything like a "Game of Thrones" with mechs, then I say yes.

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

I miss polls.

#50 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

I wouldn't focus on Wolf's Dragoons.

Honestly... what I'd really like to see is the Amaris Coup in TV series form.

It has Game of Thrones written all over it.

OR in mini-series form, the Exodus. Coup's been put down. The houses want to take the open position of Star Lord. And so begins hundreds of years of brutal war. A nice mini short of 13 episodes, introducing us to the end of the Amaris coup and the biggest event of Battletech history before setting the stage for something bigger.

#51 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:34 AM

the cost of making a good one vs the market size means it would never be profitable to do another one.

#52 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:32 AM

Problem is the Script ...and Regisseur...thats we become more a "Alien 2" or "Avatar", "Band of Brothers" and not "The Last Jedi" , "Jurassic World 2 " or in baddest way "Wing Commander" with cruefull Logic Plottholes and Scripts thats far away in each sense ..and please not the Marvel Humor

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 24 January 2019 - 03:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users