Pugs: No Voip/comms=Block List

119 replies to this topic

#1 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:45 AM

In desperation in an attempt to play with people who actually communicate in PUG matches, I'm trying out a system where, if players on a team either have no mic/VOIP enabled and/or do not communicate, I place them all on my block list after the match so as to avoid winding up being placed on non-communicating (and thus losing) teams. Hopefully this will increase my chances of having team mates who communicate and have the ability for teamwork.

Does anyone know if there are limits to the size of the player blocklist, as I'm certain mine will get YUGE!

#2 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

Not sure if it's true, or not, but people told me the block list has no effect on whom you drop with just whom you can or cannot communicate with

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:53 AM

VOIP elitism?

This should go over well.

And I believe Cathy is right. Every multiplayer game that has tried to integrate block-lists with the MM has failed catastrophically. I'm fairly certain that if PGI had integrated this, the forums would be drowning in complaints about it.

Good luck to you, I guess.

#4 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 November 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

VOIP elitism?

Is it 'elitism' to want to play with people who communicate, keeping in mind that this is a team-based game where communication is essential and teamwork effectively a super-power?

I'm not trying to be harsh. If a player does a decent job communicating with text, that's fine and I would not block them, but it's rare and hard to do when you must stop controlling your 'mech to type.

Far too many matches are lost while there's only silence on voice and nothing being typed...UNTIL the match ends and the blaming and whining begin. I sit there and think; "Why didn't you talk/type during the match when that may well have turned the match around instead of playing deaf-mute until you wanted to whine after it's all over?"

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostCathy, on 20 November 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Not sure if it's true, or not, but people told me the block list has no effect on whom you drop with just whom you can or cannot communicate with

So, OP will be unable to communicate with nearly all the playerbase?

Nice

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

In desperation in an attempt to play with people who actually communicate in PUG matches, I'm trying out a system where, if players on a team either have no mic/VOIP enabled and/or do not communicate, I place them all on my block list after the match so as to avoid winding up being placed on non-communicating (and thus losing) teams. Hopefully this will increase my chances of having team mates who communicate and have the ability for teamwork.

Does anyone know if there are limits to the size of the player blocklist, as I'm certain mine will get YUGE!

As far as I know, your block-list only affects your communication, but it has no influence on Matchmaker.

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Is it 'elitism' to want to play with people who communicate, keeping in mind that this is a team-based game where communication is essential and teamwork effectively a super-power?

It's elitism when you trying to exclude people who don't have optional hardware.

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Far too many matches are lost while there's only silence on voice and nothing being typed...UNTIL the match ends and the blaming and whining begin. I sit there and think; "Why didn't you talk/type during the match when that may well have turned the match around instead of playing deaf-mute until you wanted to whine after it's all over?"

Humorously, I've actually been tracking how many times VOIP has helped a match, and how many times it's lost the match. So far I'm at 3 matches saved by it, 5 lost because of it.

If you want to voice chat, get into group play. I'll continue to ignore most of what's said in VOIP, because it's largely incoherent trash, or roleplaying, or trolls trying to get everyone else killed, and mute 50% of the people who use it because Christ, I have a surround sound headset on, stop breathing in my ear, learn what 'Hot Mic' means, and go deal with your Mom/Baby before jumping into the match.

#8 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 20 November 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Nice

"In an effort to increase communication, i will close all communication" lul?

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

hahahahaha. Your solution to dealing with noncommunicating players is to block them from your communication stream, and that is how you are trying to increase communication.

#10 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

View PostMcgral18, on 20 November 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Nice

If they were not communicating to start with, what exactly has been lost?

#11 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

I chat one out of fifty matches, maybe

Maybe that would help you, but generally I'm fine just shooting robots in silence.

#12 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

About half of the time that I'm playing, my wife is asleep.

You are putting me on ignore because I don't want to talk to you and wake up my wife?

I think you know what that makes you.

#13 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostAkhri Mala, on 20 November 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

You are putting me on ignore because I don't want to talk to you and wake up my wife?

"Selfish" is not a 4-letter word, you can let it out. OP doesn't consider that some people have wives, kids, and roommates, and assumes everyone in the world is like him.

Also, a real funny thing, I am an avid user of the "Y" button despite my lack of voice comms. I guess the OP doesn't want to read my text. Reading is hard.

I mean, it's way easier to yell at a screen saying SHOOT THE RED SQUARE!!! Reading that team-chat requires more effort.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 20 November 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

It's quite possible that they will buy their headset in the future.

But you put them on your blocklist, so they will communicate with everybody "but" you.

Plus, as I said your blocklist does not influence matchmaker, so it does not matter how many noncommunicating players you put on it.

#15 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 November 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

As far as I know, your block-list only affects your communication, but it has no influence on Matchmaker.

Does anyone know for certain? As far as I can tell I've never ended up on the same team again with someone I added to my block list, but I can't be sure because until recently I hadn't added that many players to my block list.

If it doesn't prevent blocked players from being placed on the same team then admittedly there's no point to my blocking them. I would hope the block list is more than simply remembering who got put on 'mute', as otherwise the block list is pointless and simply having mute lists stored/recalled would accomplish practically the same thing.

#16 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

Does anyone know for certain? As far as I can tell I've never ended up on the same team again with someone I added to my block list, but I can't be sure because until recently I hadn't added that many players to my block list.

If it doesn't prevent blocked players from being placed on the same team then admittedly there's no point to my blocking them. I would hope the block list is more than simply remembering who got put on 'mute', as otherwise the block list is pointless and simply having mute lists stored/recalled would accomplish practically the same thing.

The block function is meant to block Communications. You are effectively blocking Communications in your effort to increase Communications.

You are blocking people who don't use headsets from using the Y button to communicate with you

Edited by Prosperity Park, 20 November 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

I admit that I can't quote an official source, but as far as I know, the only way how a MWO player can affect Matchmaker is with his PSR change (Elo previously) and his movement up and down Tiers.

#18 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostCathy, on 20 November 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

I thought this was common knowledge. No?
Of course you drop with people on your block list. It's purely communiction.
I see a lot of people whom I blocked. For example some guy who ALWAYS spams senselessly that he likes ponies (which is clearly harassment but as he won't get banned, at least not permanently, I blocked him).

Also, on topic:

The demand for pugs to use ingame voice is naive and rude for two reasons:
1.)
Playing with random team mates means by definition it's "just for fun" and not "serious" (as serious as a game can get). People might be new, might try out fun builds, might just squeeze in a quick match between real life stuff, might not be able to talk (visitors around, etc.)

2.)
MWO is tactically SO simple that you really need no ingame voice communication if you don't want to do something special or squeeze out the last few drops of effiency.
Seriously, all this game requires is: stay together, focus fire, don't shoot team mates.
You do NOT need ingame voice communication for that.
The problem why this is so hard to achieve is personal discipline and tacical team play far-sightness, NOT communication.

These two reasons compared to the OP's ridiculous demand allow for some amusing conclusions about his understanding of this game, of social behavior and other traits.

Edited by Paigan, 20 November 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#19 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

I'm in total agreement with your sentiment that people who play the game without a microphone = potato, and I hate playing with them.

The solution however doesn't start on the outside, with asking PGI to allow block lists to prevent you from having to play with people you identify as not having a mic. The solution begins on the inside with reaching out to people you've played with that use a microphone to fill a friends list and start making group queues with them.

And yes, I agree that it sucks when you just want to log on and play 2-3 matches and then head out. When you group up with friends there's that small bit of peer pressure implied to play more than what your time might allow for. Those people you're grouped with are depending on you to keep the group going. All you can do is be up front with your time when you join in and then stick to it.

And as for Paigan saying that voice chat is not needed for a pickup match, he's dead wrong, depending on the Tier of play. I'm only a few months in and am in Tier 3, moving up, and I get a LOT of very new players ("hey, does this game have nightvision or something so I can see?") in matches that stand around not sure of what to do. The other side will have them too. Guess what? The team that has 4 people talking in voice chat making suggestions will DESTROY the other team that is entirely silent until they lose, and then two people speak up in voip stating how trash the rest of their team is.

Edited by FireStoat, 20 November 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#20 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostAkhri Mala, on 20 November 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

Why do you think it's OK to disadvantage everyone else because you choose to play when your wife is sleeping?

Better look in a mirror Mr. Selfish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users