New Performance Packs Now Available Through Steam!

113 replies to this topic

#81 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostTercieI, on 26 November 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

That's a fair point, but it's still better than the PTR or MLX for a new player!

Well the Panther is sort of ok as a learning platform... but yeah the MLX is awful for one.

#82 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 25 November 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

No, you are not. I have 500hours clocked in the Steam MWO and i am not a steam player by any mean. What i mean by a steam player is someone who discover the game through steam(the first utility of steam is exposition). Someone who will start at the bottom with nothing. Do you remember how it is to not have a single weapon in your inventory, no engine, much less xl, no modules and you dont even know how to play the game.

These people should be sold Mastery Pack as has been said already, not 2 mech of different technology. Hell, a pack with one of each class would make more sense. like whats popular in CW at the time of creating and you change it every season when meta change. Now THAT would be a performance pack. Not that it needs to be but i guess its better for business to keep player in at first.

If you want to split hairs over semantics, I will play your game. I am a MWO player who launches MWO through the STEAM client as opposed to a new MWO player who discovered MWO through STEAM. I know that many of us jaded MWO players like to assume that all new players who find MWO through STEAM are somehow less capable of learning to play this game and need additional hand-holding though.

As far as your other points, I do agree that the "performance" packs should have three variants of the same Mech instead of one variant each of two different mechs and I have proposed similar ideas in previous posts, however STEAM users are used to lower-cost DLCs and would be turned away by the higher cost of the Mastery Packs.

For a basic STEAM Mastery Pack I would propose that it should cost less than a regular Mastery Pack and should include:

1 Champion variant
2 standard variants of the same Mech
3 Mech Bays
30 days of premium time

For a STEAM Faction Pack I would propose that it should cost slightly more than the basic pack and should include:

1 Champion variant of a faction-specific Mech.
2 standard variants of the same faction-specific Mech.
3 Mech Bays
Faction - Camo pattern unlocked for each mech
Faction Icon Decal unlocked
3 sets of Faction-specific warhorns
30 days premium time

Also, the Faction Pack should automatically start the account with a 7-day contract with the specific faction and there should be a faction-specific introductory video on STEAM for each pack.

Edited by Ed Steele, 26 November 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#83 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Those are some good suggestions Ed. I agree with your thought process.

#84 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 26 November 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

If you want to split hairs over semantics, I will play your game. I am a MWO player who launches MWO through the STEAM client as opposed to a new MWO player who discovered MWO through STEAM. I know that many of us jaded MWO players like to assume that all new players who find MWO through STEAM are somehow less capable of learning to play this game and need additional hand-holding though.

As far as your other points, I do agree that the "performance" packs should have three variants of the same Mech instead of one variant each of two different mechs and I have proposed similar ideas in previous posts, however STEAM users are used to lower-cost DLCs and would be turned away by the higher cost of the Mastery Packs.

For a basic STEAM Mastery Pack I would propose that it should cost less than a regular Mastery Pack and should include:

1 Champion variant
2 standard variants of the same Mech
3 Mech Bays
30 days of premium time

For a STEAM Faction Pack I would propose that it should cost slightly more than the basic pack and should include:

1 Champion variant of a faction-specific Mech.
2 standard variants of the same faction-specific Mech.
3 Mech Bays
Faction - Camo pattern unlocked for each mech
Faction Icon Decal unlocked
3 sets of Faction-specific warhorns
30 days premium time

Also, the Faction Pack should automatically start the account with a 7-day contract with the specific faction and there should be a faction-specific introductory video on STEAM for each pack.

I can just see the arguments over who gets the Kodiak, Timberwolf, Arctic Cheetah.... unless by Faction you're just meaning Inner Sphere vs Clan. I mean if 99% of this forum can't agree which faction mechs are proper to which faction how will that do anything except cause a **** storm of forum angst?

And then we get into the bad idea of funneling newer players to fight 12 man FW teams because all the new players are taught they are part of a Faction. I get your desire as a loyalist but NO!

I suppose I'm saying.... steam packs shouldn't pander to people just wanting Clan OR IS because they refuse to use the other side. That's probably 0.5% of the actual player base. If they're that bigoted about make believe sides then they're almost certainly older non steam players anyway and have access to all the normal packs which aren't sold on steam so can make that choice for themselves.

Edited by Aramuside, 27 November 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#85 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:05 AM

The thing I do find odd about the variant choices (beyond the odd chassis choices!) is that they used a lot of Prime versions that already have +30% c-bill versions so have minimal incentive to pack owners. The exception is the Assaults where (as far as I know) neither of those have + versions.

You'd think they'd want all players to be tempted not just non-pack owners?

#86 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:55 AM

View PostAramuside, on 27 November 2016 - 01:05 AM, said:

The thing I do find odd about the variant choices (beyond the odd chassis choices!) is that they used a lot of Prime versions that already have +30% c-bill versions so have minimal incentive to pack owners. The exception is the Assaults where (as far as I know) neither of those have + versions.

You'd think they'd want all players to be tempted not just non-pack owners?

If it is the right mech for a player then it is tempting. With the wave invasion and starter packs a player could have fielded 2timbers with cbill boosted or 2 cheetah prime with cbills boost.

#87 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

View Postmikerso, on 27 November 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

If it is the right mech for a player then it is tempting. With the wave invasion and starter packs a player could have fielded 2timbers with cbill boosted or 2 cheetah prime with cbills boost.

Or used Kodiaks etc. ;)

What % of the playerbase play FW out of events though nowadays?

#88 Dragonet Xian

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

Bring back the old packs, having a wider selection is always better...

#89 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:15 AM

Will this also be put to improve PLAy performance in FP after 3 years of low Faction Play.

#90 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

Double XP ends on December 1st

#91 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostAramuside, on 27 November 2016 - 12:21 AM, said:

I can just see the arguments over who gets the Kodiak, Timberwolf, Arctic Cheetah.... unless by Faction you're just meaning Inner Sphere vs Clan. I mean if 99% of this forum can't agree which faction mechs are proper to which faction how will that do anything except cause a **** storm of forum angst?

And then we get into the bad idea of funneling newer players to fight 12 man FW teams because all the new players are taught they are part of a Faction. I get your desire as a loyalist but NO!

I suppose I'm saying.... steam packs shouldn't pander to people just wanting Clan OR IS because they refuse to use the other side. That's probably 0.5% of the actual player base. If they're that bigoted about make believe sides then they're almost certainly older non steam players anyway and have access to all the normal packs which aren't sold on steam so can make that choice for themselves.

I understand your concern which is why I also had suggested the "Basic" STEAM Mastery Pack for players who for whatever reason are not concerned about the lore, or who just don't want to pay the extra money for the Faction packs. The "Basic" pack(s) should include easy to master mechs like the Centurion, or Stormcrow or whichever.

Also, the Faction-Specific mechs do not have to be the best mechs available to that faction, for instance Clan Ghost Bear uses a large number of Mad Dog mechs in their Touman, Steiner has the Zeus, Kurita the Kintaro or Dragon and so forth.

Finally, it is well known that anything PGI implements will generate "forum angst" as well as "Reddit angst" and "Twitter angst", probably even "Facebook angst". My suggestions are based on my experiences with STEAM as well as what I believe would actually be good for someone who is just starting out.

Edited by Ed Steele, 27 November 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#92 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 27 November 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

Also, the Faction-Specific mechs do not have to be the best mechs available to that faction, for instance Clan Ghost Bear uses a large number of Mad Dog mechs in their Touman, Steiner has the Zeus, Kurita the Kintaro or Dragon and so forth.

A lot of those mechs you've just listed are pretty mediocre at best and wouldn't really be competing that well in the current game...

#93 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 November 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

A lot of those mechs you've just listed are pretty mediocre at best and wouldn't really be competing that well in the current game...

True, but do we really want to give new players the impression that you have to play the meta or the game sucks? I personally hate the meta and I am content with playing "mediocre" mechs in Tier 3 / 4. I would like to show new players that there is more to "A BATTLETECH GAME" than just meta Esports.

I will throw you a bone though, PGI could maybe add "Competition" STEAM packs that only have current "meta" mechs and everything you need to master them along with some of the world Championship supporter cockpit items and maybe have the top competitive pilot of that Mech make a splash video showing how the mechs rock in comp play.

Edited by Ed Steele, 27 November 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#94 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 27 November 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

True, but do we really want to give new players the impression that you have to play the meta or the game sucks? I personally hate the meta and I am content with playing "mediocre" mechs in Tier 3 / 4. I would like to show new players that there is more to "A BATTLETECH GAME" than just meta Esports.

I will throw you a bone though, PGI could maybe add "Competition" STEAM packs that only have current "meta" mechs and everything you need to master them along with some of the world Championship supporter cockpit items and maybe have the top competitive pilot of that Mech make a splash video showing how the mechs rock in comp play.

That won't work either because the meta could change in one month from a single patch. As it did this past month when they nerfed UACs and clan LPLs across the board.

#95 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 27 November 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

I would rather have the mechs be reasonably decent (they don't have to be meta, they simply cannot suck) or it does nothing for the game's reputation.

It's still ultimately up to the balance overlord to address this, but that'll always have to wait until Mechcon.

#96 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

I would prefer *all* quirks be based around carrying the stock loadouts + having elite efficiencies, encouraging non-meta loadouts and giving them a fighting chance against overtuned (but no longer quirked) meta mechs.

It would basically be the 'set of 8' type quirks but as soon as you start hot rodding your mechs you lose bonuses. If implemented correctly it would hopefully encourage a bit more variety and make stock mechs a bit more viable.

Edited by MovinTarget, 27 November 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#97 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 27 November 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

That won't work either because the meta could change in one month from a single patch. As it did this past month when they nerfed UACs and clan LPLs across the board.

Then PGI might as well just tell all new players that they should never spend any money on the game because the mechs they buy may no longer be "meta" after the next patch. Seriously, they could update the "Championship" packs after each patch with the latest FOTM meta build.

View PostMovinTarget, on 27 November 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

I would prefer *all* quirks be based around carrying the stock loadouts + having elite efficiencies, encouraging non-meta loadouts and giving them a fighting chance against overtuned (but no longer quirked) meta mechs.

It would basically be the 'set of 8' type quirks but as soon as you start hot rodding your mechs you lose bonuses. If implemented correctly it would hopefully encourage a bit more variety and make stock mechs a bit more viable.

I have mentioned this very thing many times in the past.

#98 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 27 November 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

Then PGI might as well just tell all new players that they should never spend any money on the game because the mechs they buy may no longer be "meta" after the next patch. Seriously, they could update the "Championship" packs after each patch with the latest FOTM meta build.

Problem is a lot of players already feel this way.

#99 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:24 PM

View Postmikerso, on 27 November 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

Problem is a lot of players already feel this way.

This is why I think that there should be more focus on the faction aspect of this game and less about making it a generic Esport.

#100 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:03 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 27 November 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

This is why I think that there should be more focus on the faction aspect of this game and less about making it a generic Esport.
Yep, there simple catering to the "buy this new thing". then to the "play and have fun together in a team" and we have some nice mechs you can buy for that.

They didn't even have a person tending to FP for almost a year, as russ bullock told in a NGNG-cast. I'm going to be very critical to what they will tell us from mechcon about the upcoming teamplay. It seems to be more and more a CS-like game. rlly sad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users