Jump to content

New Performance Packs Now Available Through Steam!


113 replies to this topic

#101 Aramuside

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:24 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 27 November 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:


This is why I think that there should be more focus on the faction aspect of this game and less about making it a generic Esport.


The problem being that FW is a very different beast than the solo queue most players see so pushing players into it won't help. Unless you're in a unit the odds are you'll not even go in the group queue. Esports for most players is purely a visual arena which raises the visibility of the game as so few players will ever compete in that arena.

Every time I try FW I really enjoy the scouting as 4v4 a single error can doom your lance so it feels like your personal performance is critical. Invasion playing with a few of the factions I've tried is just an exercise in pain. For example, I have the utmost respect for anyone that plays CSJ long term because we just lost every match horrendously in the last competition to Kurita. Not sure if that was just the lack of player balancing, experience in FW or just that we kept coming up against organised units like BMMU. People (including me I'm sure) just sounded stressed on comms as getting rolled again and again and again when you're stuck in a long match is just not fun in any way. I think the best we managed was to kill 32 mechs on one of the sides we fought. Either way I can't pretend I'd recommend FW as its just not fun for most players I suspect.

PS: They could REALLY use a tutorial or better pointers for Scout mode in FW as working out the mechanics was mildly embarrassing when I first tried it. Why will this (already claimed) thing not turn..... ;)

#102 CapperDeluxe

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,292 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:46 AM

I'm really surprised at the inclusion of the Myst Lynx, it seems like a bad idea to be giving potential new players a mech that doesn't hold up as well as other light mechs. I would think it would be a bad introduction for them and may lead some to not play very long after using it and not doing well with it. Same goes for the Panther.

#103 James Argent

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

Aramuside, we had a discussion in another part of the forum about adding a FW tutorial to the Academy. The best suggestion there (what I considered getting the most bang for PGI's buck) was that they should simply close the gates and activate the generators on the practice maps that come from FW. (Maaaaaaybe even activate the turrets.) That way people can figure out what to shoot (and more importantly not shoot) during a FW match without getting splatted before they even figure out which side of the generator has the window...or that there's even a window in the first place (and why can't they make the mech armor out of that generator housing material?). Even already knowing what I have to do, there are a LOT of targets from which to pick out the right one, and getting used to that target selection while not under enemy fire will go a long way toward keeping FW from being so futile for so many new players.

#104 NocturnalBeast

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

View PostJames Argent, on 28 November 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

Aramuside, we had a discussion in another part of the forum about adding a FW tutorial to the Academy. The best suggestion there (what I considered getting the most bang for PGI's buck) was that they should simply close the gates and activate the generators on the practice maps that come from FW. (Maaaaaaybe even activate the turrets.) That way people can figure out what to shoot (and more importantly not shoot) during a FW match without getting splatted before they even figure out which side of the generator has the window...or that there's even a window in the first place (and why can't they make the mech armor out of that generator housing material?). Even already knowing what I have to do, there are a LOT of targets from which to pick out the right one, and getting used to that target selection while not under enemy fire will go a long way toward keeping FW from being so futile for so many new players.


Yes, I think that adding a FW battle simulation to the Academy is a good idea. Completion of the simulation should be required to "unlock" FW.

The Simulation should have:

- AI controlled commander and teammates.
- AI controlled enemy team.
- Multiple training stages that includes coordinated movement, focus fire, shooting turrets, opening gates, etc.
- Final battle with AI commander calling shots and a big CBill / MC reward and title for successful completion.




#105 James Argent

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

I agree that'd be great, but it would require a lot more PGI time and effort than simply flipping the switches on the gates/gens back to the default 'on.' And it would have to change any time FW gets improvements. It just wouldn't be worth their while until FW is a lot more 'finished.'

#106 NocturnalBeast

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostAramuside, on 28 November 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:


The problem being that FW is a very different beast than the solo queue most players see so pushing players into it won't help. Unless you're in a unit the odds are you'll not even go in the group queue. Esports for most players is purely a visual arena which raises the visibility of the game as so few players will ever compete in that arena.

Every time I try FW I really enjoy the scouting as 4v4 a single error can doom your lance so it feels like your personal performance is critical. Invasion playing with a few of the factions I've tried is just an exercise in pain. For example, I have the utmost respect for anyone that plays CSJ long term because we just lost every match horrendously in the last competition to Kurita. Not sure if that was just the lack of player balancing, experience in FW or just that we kept coming up against organised units like BMMU. People (including me I'm sure) just sounded stressed on comms as getting rolled again and again and again when you're stuck in a long match is just not fun in any way. I think the best we managed was to kill 32 mechs on one of the sides we fought. Either way I can't pretend I'd recommend FW as its just not fun for most players I suspect.

PS: They could REALLY use a tutorial or better pointers for Scout mode in FW as working out the mechanics was mildly embarrassing when I first tried it. Why will this (already claimed) thing not turn..... ;)


It is a war game and wars are stressful. Yes, I do agree that there should be FW training for new players that does not require joining an established unit (see above). Finally, though, even FW veterans will make mistakes every now and then unless you are playing on a team of bots.

View PostJames Argent, on 28 November 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

I agree that'd be great, but it would require a lot more PGI time and effort than simply flipping the switches on the gates/gens back to the default 'on.' And it would have to change any time FW gets improvements. It just wouldn't be worth their while until FW is a lot more 'finished.'


Yes, but the AI improvements that would be required for this tutorial would be a huge step towards a solo vs AI or cooperative game modes.

I know many of my suggestions would take up allot of PGIs assets, but I believe that these types of improvements are what is needed to take MWO to the next level and would definitely bring in new players in greater numbers.

Edited by Ed Steele, 28 November 2016 - 04:35 PM.


#107 Desintegrator

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:00 AM

Oh man, the Steam guys get the best sales...

#108 Aramuside

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:35 AM

View PostDesintegrator, on 29 November 2016 - 01:00 AM, said:

Oh man, the Steam guys get the best sales...


Well the last one was good in fairness and I installed mwo on steam just to take advantage of it. ;)

#109 Aylek

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

I still fail to recognise the 'performance' in those packs considering the bad mech choices.

#110 Lizardman from Hollywood

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Lolz the only thing that these steam packs do for new players is get them used to no lube no reach around treatment they will be facing in the mwo cash shop.

#111 Rebel Ace Fryslan

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

Could you drop the wait time on invasion. we keep missing teams and dry dropping with 10min wait times.

plz do something to improve FP.

#112 Kem

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 30 November 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

plz do something to improve FP.


at this point PGI can only scrap this trainwreck of hillarious gamedesign. At least it will push this 1,5 diehards who still pays it back into group drops.

#damagecontrol

#113 Rebel Ace Fryslan

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostKem, on 30 November 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:


at this point PGI can only scrap this trainwreck of hillarious gamedesign. At least it will push this 1,5 diehards who still pays it back into group drops.

#damagecontrol

why because you need groups in QP-madness.

#114 Rebel Ace Fryslan

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

you messed up the 50% discount on the mechbays, it is only 20% now!





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users