Russ Is Asking... Does Mwo Have Enough Mechs?

134 replies to this topic

#121 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'm torn, I think OP has it right, slow down on mech development and use that time on other things.

I mean, I still want to get the Nightstar and there are tonnage brackets that need filling out. 20t clan, more 95t, etc.

#122 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 06 December 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

The Roughneck would seem to suggest PGI is running out of mech ideas.

If there aren't a lot of options in terms of functionality or builds.

It might be time to shoot for sentimental value.

There are plenty of 'Mech ideas. They just have to buck up and do something different (like IS Omnis, Lights with MASC...or quads).

#123 Cabusha3

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

View Post50 50, on 06 December 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

The creation of these new mechs doesn't impact the development in other areas. The people involved are there for this reason, not for coding new features, changing the UI or creating new levels.

Except you're wrong there. He's said it before, mech development takes away from new map development. They use the same graphics artists for both.

Edited by Cabusha3, 06 December 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#124 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 06 December 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

The Roughneck would seem to suggest PGI is running out of mech ideas.

If there aren't a lot of options in terms of functionality or builds.

It might be time to shoot for sentimental value.

There are plenty of mechs that PGI could add to the game that would introduce much needed variety.

Mad Cat Mk.2 -

Prime boats 2 clan gauss rifles, 2 lrm 10's and 4 ER medium lasers. A clan assault battlemech which would be easily be meta contenders to the Marauder IIC and the Kodiak in game. Decent speed for an assault which could be upgraded with larger engines. We will probably get it just before the TRO 3060 timeline jump, that's if we ever get new weapons in the game. Ironically most of this mech's load outs match with the current tech in game.

Warhammer IIC -

Has an interesting quirk where the engine is hard to crit due to heat sink placement in the mech. Should have been already in the game along with the Rifleman IIC, Shadowhawk IIC, and Locust IIC since those mechs participated in the battle of Tukayyid. It's basically a Warhammer on steroids but still would like to see it somewhat before the MK.2 release.

Rifleman IIC -

Clan equivalent of the Jagermech but with better armor, geometry and build variety. Runs a 4xlpl's, jj's, and a cBAP on the prime variant. Can mix and match missiles, lasers, and ballistics but are limited to arm mounts. Has a single energy hard point in the head that would be traditionally a back up the arms were destroyed in combat. A needed heavy mech for the clans.

Shadowhawk IIC -

A medium clan mech with interesting builds, but will be unfortunately subjected to PGI made up variants. Still, it's a clan medium which the clans lack as a whole.

Firemoth -

Might be a tricky mech to code according to some due to it's high speed. Would rather have the Locust IIC, but would like to see this mech make an appearance down the road. Really liked the reversed arms that this thing had.

TL:DR

PGI should finish the remaining TRO 3055 IIC roster, add the Mad Cat Mk.2 before the timeline jump, then begin to add IS omni's with a mix of mechs like the Solitaire and the Hollander.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 06 December 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#125 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

twittwalled.

nope.

i does not twitter.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 December 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#126 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

Then: "MWO only cares about money! maps and stuff don't make money that's why we have all these stupid mechs...in a game based on mechs fighting mechs.... STOP WASTING RESOURCES ON MECHS!!!!!"

Now: "OMG! PGI isn't fully committed to MWO! the only reason to stop pumping out mechs all the time is because "bad things" and they're probably going to abandon MWO!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!"

#127 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:52 PM

Here I am a customer from closed beta and founder, and I can't vote on the issue because I don't do twitter (and don't want to) and for whatever reason the company's actual official website for the game can't be used for direct communication with company ownership.

Maybe Russ just doesn't want my "yes, we have enough" vote.

#128 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:56 PM

You need a Twitter account to vote. Instead I'll post here.

No. We still need the Javelin, Annihilator, Devastator, Mongoose, and at least half a dozen other mechs.

Since mech pack resources don't conflict with other resources (art and 3d modelling aren't the same as coding or testing or whathaveyou), the only reason to reduce the rate of mech pack production would be to put those resources elsewhere, say in developing new aesthetic money makers such as modular geometry (new Atlas heads and the like) or to shift those resources to MW5M (which shouldn't be a high priority since much of that stuff can be ported almost directly from MWO even with the different engines).

Since Mech Packs are their biggest source of income, it only makes sense for them to continue to release them, though maybe they should consider pricing mech packs more aggressively to drive demand if they are experiencing slowing sales. I know that if the Javelin came out at half the price of the current mech pack scheme I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but at full price using current values I'd only be able to do it if I could scrape the money together and even then I'd be reluctant.

In addition to slashing prices they should make a few minor but significant tweaks: 8v8 for Quick Play would be a great start, SRM ammo to 120/ton would be excellent, and LB-ACs moving to 1.2 damage/pellet would be simple yet effective. Also, the sooner the new skill system goes live the better, and the same goes for MG and heat sink buffs.

#129 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:03 PM

Slightly off-topic, but since people are bringing up unique geo and the like... Did anyone at MechCon ask about the Atlas glowing eyes? I have a feeling no-one thought of it.

#130 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

I say no. Slowing down on mech production won't translate into faster map or (insert feature) generation. It will just mean less mechs.

#131 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:37 PM

I would, but he banned me from his twitter back in 2013 when I tried to warn him that the playerbase would lash out at him.

It's kinda sad really.

#132 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:58 PM

Ye, sure reallocate those people for other projects. Maybe we will see a jump in MWO developement. Or it will be even slower or the same minus monthly mechs, dekkles anyone? I really dont mind if you focus on MW5, didnt pay for quite a while now so there is no remorse on my end.

#133 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

Very dissapointed Russ hasn't tried to reach out to people on this forums with a vote. Instead it seems he's making decisions based of people using Twitter. I refuse to use Twitter so I guess my vote doesn't count.

Is he really making driving decisions based on a few numbers rather than the majority?!

Anyways, I keep defaulting to the answer No MWonline doesnt need more mechs just so they focus on Dev for the game BUT if what they say is true (the two are unrelated), then yeah, bring em on !

My only concern is that older mechs are becoming obsolete, therefore clogging up the sales arena with relics. As Russ has stated (via Twitter) weaker mechs like his Dragon will get some extra base stats.

So at least they either listened or knew about this problem. I believe same thing applies to amount of XP to level a mech in the new system. I think the final values were not a "true reflection". Or again they listened to us and made that announcement ;)

#134 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:51 AM

I don't have a twitter account, and I'm not gonna open one just so I could vote, so I'll make a thread with a pole here, where such questions should be answered, for all of us that don't use twitter..

Non-twitter croud, vote here!

https://mwomercs.com...n-twitter-pole/

Please, someone link this pole to Russ's twitter..

Edited by Vellron2005, 07 December 2016 - 01:01 AM.

#135 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 06 December 2016 - 11:03 PM, said:

Slightly off-topic, but since people are bringing up unique geo and the like... Did anyone at MechCon ask about the Atlas glowing eyes? I have a feeling no-one thought of it.

No I didn't ask about the eyes but I did ask whatever happened to the custom geometry ideas.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users