#61 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:48 AM

View PostSal Roma, on 14 December 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

So we are all driving around (piloting) advanced weapon systems called mechs... and these mechs have all types of weapons and computer systems to run them and said weapons.... and yet, for some reason, we can't program them to target a specific section on a mech with computerized accuracy?

How does this make any sense?

Edit: to be clear... I am in favor of in game aim bots because computers can aim better then we can, and we are driving around in giant weaponized computers. I'm not talking about snap head shot aimbots.. but let's put more pilot skill into driving these things, and less into turn torso and strafe.... you as a pilot should be able to navigate your mech (looking sideways), and have your mech keep firing while locked on...

I believe this was actually a feature in Mechwarrior2:31st century combat. If I remember correctly, you could program your weapons to focus on certain enemy components.

Don't listen to the 'Git Gud m8' crowd, it is a valid thought and makes logical sense when you think about it. However, for actual gaming purposes, I think this would be a nice feature in a PvE gametype where you have the option of playing with/without it, but not so much for PvP.

#62 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

The Auto aim in World of Tanks is terrible and their a billion dollar company. A PGI auto-aim would most likely target the cockpits of your own team, then make you dance like a ballerina until your ammo detonates.

#63 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

If you want to go with OP's premise, then this thread is entirely stupid. (Though TBF, there are plenty of game with Aim-assist to the level of OP's description. They are not bad games either. It's just how you execute the aim-assist to still allow skill to come into play. An auto-aim assist does not make a game boring by default.)

But, as some people have done, which is to steer the direction toward IRL auto-targeting system, which I find a lot more interesting.

Let's start with the video Lily posted about the "auto-aim" rifle. Technically, that rifle isn't auto-aim per se. It's auto-tracking. There's a huge distinction between the two. Auto-aim would imply that not only is the target being tracked, but your mech's mechanical part actually moves to compensate for the lock. But for auto-track, we already have that in game. All those red squares that show up when you look at someone... that's auto-tracking.

But to have auto-aim would suggest that the mech itself has movement controlled by the firing solution (mech torso, and possibly even movement), which would be reason no. uno for why this is a bad idea for a moving mechanized unit. You don't want to fight the AI firing solution for the control of the mech body. I can see it comes into play if you have a turret situation, but for the most part, these things need to move with constant torso twist. It's the reason why we are playing MECHWARRIOR online instead of Turret Controller Online.

So practical reason no. 1, it's just not good to have to fight for controls between AI and yourself. (Though I can totally see it as situational toggle, depending on scenario needs)

(At this point, I like to again, point out the difference between auto-aim and auto-track. I felt most people are actually referring to auto-track. A phalanx missile defense system is auto-aim. A M-1 Abram advance computerized targeting system to tell you where to place the shot, that's auto-track.)

Reason no. 2 would be the complexity of such lock. Remember, real world doesn't work like in MWO where an ENTIRE arm have shared HP. In fact, technically the HP we have now should indicate the thickness of the armor, meaning: say joint A and B both have armor thickness to survive 60 points of damages. If Join A is hit by 60 points, doesn't mean the entire arm is gone. Just joint A is gone. Thus, it actually makes no sense to target a precise "spot" per se. Now, you could argue that you are always targeting center mass, but would you always want to target center mass or weak spots? And what if sometimes, such analysis is not possible except through visual confirmation? In which case, to ask the firing solution to be constantly refining the lock is too much of a distraction.

Reason no. 3 would be the delayed response. Often times, an enemy mech would torso twist away to protect damaged or vital components. (And I imagine auto-aiming for these parts is what the discussion is about, right?) Well, see, rather than wait for the components to become sight-line available again, depending on situation, I would fire anyways to expose additional weakness. Say you lock onto the right torso, but the right torso never came into view again. Does your firing solution just sat idle then? And if not, why not just have the firing control from the start and make your own decision?

Reason no. 4 would be that there's no appropriate machines to do so. What auto-aim implies that there needs to be a weapon officer. Much like any 2 seaters fighter jets to coordinate the complex firing solutions. There are plenty of modern FPS games that demonstrate such concept by having you play as either the pilot (where you just to steer toward a specific general area) OR as the weapon officer (where you just do precise aiming of whatever is in-front of you, like rail-shooter). However, aside from Atlas D-DC, there are no known mech that is designed to have 2 people. (Though, again, I don't see why not. In fact, for such a complex war machine, it almost felt like having 2 people should be standard.)

------------------

With all that said, there is a weapon system I like to see change, and that's the missile system. Cause as we know, missiles do not require LoS targeting. In fact, it's all electronic/heat/other signature lock that guides the missiles. So theoretically, if you can auto-track, you can also auto-lock. A while ago, I proposed a split firing mode where LRM 10, for example, can be firing into 2 people with 5 missiles a piece. It's the same concept. Rather than the redundant system we have now, (where you have auto-tracking AND you have to manually lock the target), you simplify the missiles and just fire with track signatures.

See, that to me, makes so much sense, that I wonder why it's not even put in game. (Though I imagine people would be super rear-hurt and cry, "LRM OP!" all the time.)

Edited by razenWing, 15 December 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#64 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

Are people really discussing AutoAiming as a reasonable Gamefeature for MW:O here ?

Like, you want to click a button to tell your computer where to shoot, then dont have to worry about aiming anymore, just keep clicking that mousebutton, and the targetting computer does the aiming for you, ensuring you hit the location/compomnent of your Target with every shot ?

Is THAT what has been suggested, and is been discussed here ?

Really ?

REALLY ?

I am going to be brutally blunt, and intentionally rude to you : GTFO of our Game please!

Edited by Besh, 15 December 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#65 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostHal Greaves, on 14 December 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

aaaawwwwwsshheeeeiiii

here we go again Posted Image

Posted Image

that gif gave me epilepsy.

#66 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostBesh, on 15 December 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

I am going to be brutally blunt, and intentionally rude to with you : GTFO of our Game please.

Such rood, very mad, angy, wow, can-aim, very good aimer, no discussion on this plz, wow, very blunt, wow, leet mech, very MWO eSport, wow

Posted Image

Edited by AphexTwin11, 15 December 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#67 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

I see OP renamed the title.

I still vote no.

#68 Warden Xim

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 14 December 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

It makes sense in terms of making a game that we can actually play. Because realistically, if you can make mechs that can move around and shoot without direct human manipulation, you don't really need anyone sitting in the cockpit. You could just have AI-controlled robots fighting each other, and turn it into a MechCommander game.

The whole idea behind Battletech is that people don't trust machines to work independently of humans (same as the Warhammer 40,000 universe and several other popular sci-fi universes), so the abilities of the mechs are rather restricted. Mechs can do certain things on their own, but they require human pilots, to prevent robots from destroying all humans, basically.

For this,we have Earthsiege/Starsiege game series. Ahhhh i'm nostalgic right now.

#69 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

this falls under a point i make a lot in games. if technology in games was as good at technology in real life. games would get very dull very fast. in real life the gatling gun is a tank shredding monstrosity, in games its a tier 5 weapon that doesn't even work right. targeting systems in game require human interaction, targeting systems irl, you pretty much lock on and it does everything for you. bullets in games, take a few to work, irk, one usually enough. game armor can take abuse, irl armor can take a shot or two. its just no comparison.

#70 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 December 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

this falls under a point i make a lot in games. if technology in games was as good at technology in real life. games would get very dull very fast. in real life the gatling gun is a tank shredding monstrosity, in games its a tier 5 weapon that doesn't even work right. targeting systems in game require human interaction, targeting systems irl, you pretty much lock on and it does everything for you. bullets in games, take a few to work, irk, one usually enough. game armor can take abuse, irl armor can take a shot or two. its just no comparison.

Found this online:

"The GAU-8 itself weighs 281 kg (620 lb), but the complete weapon, with feed system and drum, weighs 1,830 kg (4,029 lb) with a maximum ammunition load. It measures 19 ft ½ in (5.81 m) from the muzzle to the rearmost point of the ammunition system, and the ammunition drum alone is 34.5 in (86 cm) in diameter and 71.5 in (1.82 m) long. (*****, 2000, p. 44). The magazine can hold 1,350 rounds, although 1,174 is the more normal load-out. Muzzle velocity with armor-piercing incendiary (API) ammunition is 3,250 ft/s (990 m/s)."

So my point is, if you like a 2 ton machine guns the size of a locust (And keep in mind, this is the spec of ONE system, not 4 that you can carry in the game. Then sure, you can have that instead of the tier 5 weapon we have now. And why are we doing a direct translation of armor from IRL to fictional world? You are assuming that what we have is exactly what future human will have. Well, that's a resounding no. Future human have 1500 additional years, and they STILL only figure out to put a piece of metal of their machines as armor? I don't think so.

(Though I tend to agree that missiles are probably going to be the main weapon of choice for future conflicts, and would technically be mighty boring. Though we do have to take into account of the lore reference of advance camouflage deployed on these mechs against electronic/heat/optical targeting to render missiles semi-useless)

Edited by razenWing, 15 December 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#71 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:00 PM

being in the future just underlines the point i was making more. if todays weapons can do things that make gameplay bad, future tech is going to make it really bad. were already capable of super precise overkill weapons, beyond visual range engagements, and much less reliance on human abilities to function. in the future you might not even be in the loop, your war machines fight among themselves and you go about your every day life of posting funny holograms of cats on facebook. i dont think a cat hologram posting simulator would be very fun.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 December 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#72 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

They'd be more like drones and we'd end up watching them play out instead. Now that wouldn't be any fun now would it?

#73 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 December 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

being in the future just underlines the point i was making more. if todays weapons can do things that make gameplay bad, future tech is going to make it really bad. were already capable of super precise overkill weapons, beyond visual range engagements, and much less reliance on human abilities to function. in the future you might not even be in the loop, your war machines fight among themselves and you go about your every day life of posting funny holograms of cats on facebook. i dont think a cat hologram posting simulator would be very fun.

Though with tech advancement, we are ASSUMING the same morality issue is universal throughout time, no? We CAN have killer robots just fight one another, and accept that the loser will be completed genocided. In fact, if DoD wants to, we probably could, right now. But war is not fought in that fashion.

I mean, if you gonna do that, then just planetary nuke everything, much more efficient than wasting time building robots at all. But that's the whole thing in BTech lore where that's not supposed to be done, right?

Also, I am guessing BTech is a timeline where defense has greatly outpaced offense, thus rending BVR combat moot. That's my whole thing with advance counter electronic/heat/optic signature default on every single battlemech.

Edited by razenWing, 15 December 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#74 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

View PostSal Roma, on 14 December 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

So we are all driving around (piloting) advanced weapon systems called mechs... and these mechs have all types of weapons and computer systems to run them and said weapons.... and yet, for some reason, we can't program them to target a specific section on a mech with computerized accuracy?

How does this make any sense?

Edit: to be clear... I am in favor of in game aim bots because computers can aim better then we can, and we are driving around in giant weaponized computers. I'm not talking about snap head shot aimbots.. but let's put more pilot skill into driving these things, and less into turn torso and strafe.... you as a pilot should be able to navigate your mech (looking sideways), and have your mech keep firing while locked on...

Lol ... because of LORE.

You want to play a battletech game. You have to realize that they MECHS DO NOT HAVE COMPUTERS in the same way we do. They have a neural helmet that connects the mech to the human nervous system for balance and control functionality and this depends on the mech warrior's capabilities with NO computer assistance.

Battletech is a "sci-fi" game that requires a willing suspension of disbelief when it comes to all of the technology.

#75 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 559 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

How would this actually be fun then?

"Computer, head shoot everybody."

"Affirmative."

If every shot was a hit and dead center, then it would just be all about who has the most firepower. Nothing but Assault mechs. No strategy or anything like that, just the computer killing everyone for you. Might as well make the mechs do it all themselves while we just watch from the cockpits. What would be the point in that? It would be boring as hell. If your aim is so lousy that you cannot hit a dropship from inside it, that is your problem. Learn how to aim and maybe you could actually hit something... someday. But do not try to ruin the game for everyone else just to cover your own shortcomings.

Personally, I consider downloading anything to assist you in the game to be a dishonorable and disgraceful declaration of your own weakness and lack of will to improve yourself. You are essentially surrendering your everything to both conceal your meager talents and preventing yourself from getting any better.

You are cheating both everyone else plus yourself. Simple as that.

#76 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

If you want auto-aiming, we already have Streaks for that.

#77 -Rasalom-

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 15 December 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

I see OP renamed the title.

I still vote no.

Actually, I didn't....

And what is with all the butt hurt personal attacks? Lots of fan boys on here that get all angry is someone DARES to question something as simple as crappy computer assisted aiming in game (and the lack there of) without resorting to reading some obscure 30 year old reference guides from a table top game and delving into the make believe of the games past.

To everyone who was rational, reasonable and made valid points for and against, it's been a great conversation starter. For everyone else... This might speak to you....

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Edited by Sal Roma, 15 December 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#78 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

Lurms.

Anyway, this game is closer to being an FPS rather than an MMORPG -.-

Edited by M T, 15 December 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#79 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

View PostSal Roma, on 15 December 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Actually, I didn't....

A mod probably did it because they were having a hard time letting a thread titled "aimbots" fly when they have a strict policy against discussing cheating on these forums.

#80 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

I'm sure it's been said to death already but I'll just add to the heap:

No autoaim for MWO needed.

That I only hit 50% of my targets just means I need more practice to gain real aiming skill.
It would detract from the games fun factor, especially for everyone out there that kills me Posted Image

And I feel a lot more satisfaction when I get kills knowing that I aimed well enough to neutralize a target Posted Image

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users