Strange Hit Detection

12 replies to this topic

#1 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 09:51 AM

I keep taking rear torso damage even though I face the enemy and I clearly get shot from the front. Its happened enough times in enough situations now that I know I'm not mistaken about it.

Throughout the years in MWO, there always seem to be periods with wonky hit detection for some reason. Sometimes even taking multiple hits from the same projectile which seems to be happening now.

Is anyone else noticing this lately?

#2 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:05 AM

Some mechs have geometry that allows hits from the front to strike the back. Also the games coding is ancient and "less than ideal".

#3 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:13 AM

View Postkalashnikity, on 03 July 2023 - 10:05 AM, said:

Some mechs have geometry that allows hits from the front to strike the back. Also the games coding is ancient and "less than ideal".

No, that's not it in this case. I've been at this for a decade. I know my mech geometry.

#4 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:15 AM

I love my Shadowhawks, Cicadas and Marauders but they get back from front hits constantly. Usually just a graze but occasionally the armor gets completely opened.

#5 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:57 AM

I've noticed this both lately and historically. Hit detection has always been a bit funky for this game especially when you will get a match with players literally scattered across the globe with wildly varying pings. Prediction code can only do so much and inevitably sooner or later the mech you are shooting at isn't really there or in a slightly different position as the server interprets it when you send a fire weapons click. This is much more noticeable at range over mid or close range in my experience.

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 July 2023 - 11:05 AM

I've been cored from the back when shot at from the front. I wasn't turning around or anything like that, just running straight at the enemy mech. Pretty sure that's who killed me. Not sure why but yeah, hit detection is wonky.

#7 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 July 2023 - 11:33 AM

View PostRockmachinE, on 03 July 2023 - 09:51 AM, said:

Not lately, but over the years I have noticed that some nights its just crazy for a round or three. Seems to go in spurts and I have never read an explanation as to what might be occurring or why. It's not specific to mech or weapon class (I've seen point blank volleys of MPLs register zero damage as often as MRMs for example). Some times it benefits me, other times, not so much. Like many aspects of this game, it's just the way it is.

#8 Drizzzit

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 02:33 PM

Yes, this still happens. I died today in a match from the back when I got shot by ppc's. I was running a Warhammer.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:08 PM

30 ticks/second and high velocities.

#10 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:44 PM

The thing is I haven't had this happen in years and now it seems to be back.

#11 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 09:33 PM

I had a couple of times last night in my Flea where I ran straight into a big mech's leg and blinked right through it. I'm sure there are occasions due to the collective speed of two things coming into contact can allow them to change their position values at least partially through each other faster than the game can detect a collision.

#12 Storky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 905 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 11:53 PM

View PostRockmachinE, on 03 July 2023 - 09:51 AM, said:

I keep taking rear torso damage even though I face the enemy and I clearly get shot from the front. Its happened enough times in enough situations now that I know I'm not mistaken about it.

Throughout the years in MWO, there always seem to be periods with wonky hit detection for some reason. Sometimes even taking multiple hits from the same projectile which seems to be happening now.

Afaik this mircale is called "backreg" and happens as often as cockpit-shots

#13 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 04:02 AM

View PostStorky, on 03 July 2023 - 11:53 PM, said:

Afaik this mircale is called "backreg" and happens as often as cockpit-shots

With me its periodical. There will be periods where it happens regularly and frequently, then nothing for literally years, then it pops up regularly again. I think it has something to do with the MWO servers themselves or my connection to the servers even though everything seems fine in terms of ping, no packet loss etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users