Firemoth Confirmed?

234 replies to this topic

#221 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Im excited :D something to replace those anemic spiders I own finally.

#222 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 21 December 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

It WOULD be amusing if it weren't the truth. Sooner or later people will close the wallets and then PGI is gonna be scrambling even worse than they have been over the last few years.

I don't think PGI has been scrambling, given the MechCon announcements and all of the new hiring they've been doing.

#223 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 21 December 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

It WOULD be amusing if it weren't the truth. Sooner or later people will close the wallets and then PGI is gonna be scrambling even worse than they have been over the last few years.

You know having the same set of people just repeat it again and again and again doesn't in any way influence those of us that spend right? The insults are particularly amusing and demonstrate how worthless the posts are.

#224 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 20 December 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

I hate those overly high-mounted hands it's awkward and ugly...

I mean... how would it ever scratch it's own backside?

But it can reach the cookies on the top shelf.

Edited by 50 50, 22 December 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#225 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:34 PM

https://youtu.be/8_FBi8d5MrI (if anyone knows how to embed that, please let me know).

So apparently Phoenix Hawks can go 300-ish KPH without too much trouble. So Fire Moth when? :)

(Fuel for the fire against them, the Speed Tweaked MASC speed for the Fire Moth is about 232 kph, so they're quick little buggers. Flea goes 177 with MASC, though, so we're already pushing the 170 boundary listed earlier...)

#226 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:49 PM

Because revived 5 years old thread was exactly what this forums needed ...

View PostC337Skymaster, on 09 December 2021 - 09:34 PM, said:

https://youtu.be/8_FBi8d5MrI (if anyone knows how to embed that, please let me know).

So apparently Phoenix Hawks can go 300-ish KPH without too much trouble. So Fire Moth when? Posted Image

(Fuel for the fire against them, the Speed Tweaked MASC speed for the Fire Moth is about 232 kph, so they're quick little buggers. Flea goes 177 with MASC, though, so we're already pushing the 170 boundary listed earlier...)

The Pixie run 30 second in the straight line. This is not the same as Dasher running 216 km/h, changing direction and avoiding all kinds of obstacles, buildings and vegetation, and colliding with other 'Mechs. Plus, what about the hit registration at that speed?

#227 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 09 December 2021 - 10:53 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 09 December 2021 - 09:34 PM, said:

So apparently Phoenix Hawks can go 300-ish KPH without too much trouble. So Fire Moth when? Posted Image

How did you get that 300 KPH number? Looked like a glitch to me with really no indication of how fast that mech was going.

Regardless, I do think the Firemoth is absolutely possible if PGI was able to hire someone competent enough to not break the engine. I'm not a coder, but I did remember reading something from a few years ago discussing that it is possible to code the mech with it's potential running speeds in cry engine. I think the real answer is PGI is most likely afraid of breaking their own engine just to add one mech.

I still don't see a problem with them nerfing the speeds of the Firemoth in favor for other quirks that would benefit the chassis at this point. We already see so many bending of table top rules to accommodate to what we have at this current time frame in MW:O.

Edited by Valdarion Silarius, 09 December 2021 - 10:54 PM.

#228 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:00 AM

Why do you feel such a need to necro 5 year old threads. Stop. Doing. This.

#229 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:03 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 10 December 2021 - 06:00 AM, said:

Why do you feel such a need to necro 5 year old threads. Stop. Doing. This.

Because it was the top result when I searched "Fire Moth" in the forum search engine.

#230 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:06 AM

View PostValdarion Silarius, on 09 December 2021 - 10:53 PM, said:

How did you get that 300 KPH number? Looked like a glitch to me with really no indication of how fast that mech was going.

Regardless, I do think the Firemoth is absolutely possible if PGI was able to hire someone competent enough to not break the engine. I'm not a coder, but I did remember reading something from a few years ago discussing that it is possible to code the mech with it's potential running speeds in cry engine. I think the real answer is PGI is most likely afraid of breaking their own engine just to add one mech.

I still don't see a problem with them nerfing the speeds of the Firemoth in favor for other quirks that would benefit the chassis at this point. We already see so many bending of table top rules to accommodate to what we have at this current time frame in MW:O.

To be fair, 300 kph is an estimate, but given my speed of 64.8, and the speed at which it was leaving us behind, and the speeds I HAVE previously seen of 'mechs moving 150 kph not being anywhere close to that, I'm willing to bet that the actual speed was upwards of 250 kph, at least.

#231 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 08:48 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 10 December 2021 - 06:06 AM, said:

To be fair, 300 kph is an estimate, but given my speed of 64.8, and the speed at which it was leaving us behind, and the speeds I HAVE previously seen of 'mechs moving 150 kph not being anywhere close to that, I'm willing to bet that the actual speed was upwards of 250 kph, at least.

There is some possibility that your estimate of that Phoenix Hawk's speed was not entirely accurate.

#232 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 09:34 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 10 December 2021 - 06:06 AM, said:

I was bored Posted Image , so I took my Pixie to find out the actual speed of that disconnected 'Mech:

1. That disconnected 'Mech needed approximately 19 seconds to get from the initial position (in E4, near the border with E5) to the edge of the playing area (out-of-bounds in D6).

2. PXH-2 with 355-rated engine needs 28 seconds to get to the same spot (127 km/h), when using the same route.

3. If I count correctly, the disconnected's Pixie's speed was 188 km/h.

#233 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 December 2021 - 12:28 PM

View Postmartian, on 10 December 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

I was bored Posted Image , so I took my Pixie to find out the actual speed of that disconnected 'Mech:

1. That disconnected 'Mech needed approximately 19 seconds to get from the initial position (in E4, near the border with E5) to the edge of the playing area (out-of-bounds in D6).

2. PXH-2 with 355-rated engine needs 28 seconds to get to the same spot (127 km/h), when using the same route.

3. If I count correctly, the disconnected's Pixie's speed was 188 km/h.

Ain't boredom great? It's amazing what we learn when we actually test things out. I yield to your calculations. (188 is amazingly fast, in that case).

#234 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 05:53 PM

i dont think the speed limit has anything to do with the velocity. ive done physics with single precision float before and got to escape velocity before my engine developed a case of the wiggles. a mere 300kph is practically standing still in comparison. projectiles in quake could get up to 1000 m/s and still hit detect correctly. i think the problem is that...

sorry had to kill some zombies.

...game assets need time to stream in and it cant keep up with a firemoth especially on low performance hardware. on high performance hardware it wouldn't be a problem.

if you have mediocre hardware that can barely hit 60 most of the time, run a flea in testing grounds and compare the fps to when you run a slower mech, i bet you will find your fps dipping with the faster mech. my computer is too fast to notice.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 December 2021 - 05:55 PM.

#235 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 09:39 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 10 December 2021 - 12:28 PM, said:

Ain't boredom great? It's amazing what we learn when we actually test things out. I yield to your calculations. (188 is amazingly fast, in that case).

But it still 30 km/h less than the Dasher with MASC would go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users