#21 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostCountess, on 26 May 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Necroing my old post so I don't have to make a new one. Even modified user.cfg for better fps, and still no change. If I try to downgrade the quality of the game the fps stay the same or get worse.This is just unacceptable for a game this old.
Posted Image

i7-6700HQ is your problem, it only 1 core boosts to 3.4ghz. MWO is severely CPU bound, and usually only performs well once the CPU is past 4.0Ghz (which your laptop can't do, since it's a HQ and not a HK). I bought a new laptop with same specs as yours, and returned it because I was having the exact same issues as you.

As comparison, a member of my unit has been upgrading his computer in steps recently, and just picked up a i5 6600K that he overclocked to 4.6Ghz. He doesn't have the money to buy a new video card yet, so he's still using his old GTX 750Ti. With everything set on medium, his FPS is 70-120.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 26 May 2017 - 10:35 PM.

#22 Phoenix410

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hey all!

I will make a dumb observation and a few suggestions that might not have been considered.

This game was designed for Dual Core CPU's without Hyper Threading. If you have a system with higher specs in general or a higher end cpu, you would think this game would run smoother right? Wong! Dual Cores and Quad cores without virtual cores rock this game for the most part. There are always exceptions and anomalies, but If you have more or less cores then the recommended specs or if you have hyper threading enabled it could work against you. I know first hand and I have this game tested on at least 5 different pc's with different specs. It always worked best on high end dual core cpus without hyper threading over anything else I have seen. For another quick example, I know people who have older style builds then my own that run circles around mine in this game, but if I was to do a typical benchmark I could run circles around them. What it comes down to is this game is a CPU hog and it is a picky cpu hog to that. For example, I have a 3.5 GHz Xeon Processor with Six Cores and 2 threads per core for a total of 12 threads, and 32GB of DDR4 ram with low timing and latency and lastly I have a 1080 EVGA 8Gig Founders GPU. You would think this build would run this game without breaking a sweat, but sadly it couldn't be farther from the truth. My system is lucky to get above 40 fps with Ultra settings. However you sir are running a i7 quad core cpu with the possibility hyper threading which with the right settings could run greater then 60 fps.

What I have seen fix many Quad and dual core systems easily is by turning off the V-Sync which restricts your cpu to a max of 60fps. To turn this off you need to go to your video settings in game and turn off v-sync. By turning off v-sync I have seen PC's where the frame rate sky rockets to +120 fps while in game at all high settings. Another item. Turn off Anti-aliasing. Yes it makes things better visually, but it doesn't do all that much for the gain in graphics at the loss of your CPU power. Finally in the GAME tab in of your game settings turn off ENABLE COCKPITS GLASS and ENABLE COCKPITS MONITORS. (Yes you are turning off features that would make the game more immersive and neat features, but these are all cpu hogs and if your system is struggling these items being disabled will give you some more fps). Another thing to make sure is that your Windows Resolution actually matches the monitor resolution spec resolution. Anything greater can definitely affect your FPS. Another item is to make sure you PC is running on the HIGH PERFORMANCE option in Windows Settings. Lastly, if you are more interested in gaining FPS make sure you run on High Settings or lower. If you want to run on Ultra settings you get what you get sadly.

As a last resort...and you still are having issues there are at three options that I know of that you could consider looking into.
1) The first option (Repair your MWO Client) If your using steam I not sure how to help, but if you are using the mwo client portal. You can open the software client portal as if you planned to play the game. However, instead of pushing play you need to push the settings button in the top left corner. It looks like three horizontal bars stacked on one another. After you click there a tab should drop down and you can now see a line item called Run MWO Repair Tool. Click on that and follow the steps as instructed. Make sure you are running this program as Administrator. (It is a wide know fact that MWO can sometimes mess up on an install and a file might get somewhat corrupted. At least that was the case in the olden days.)

2) Contact PGI support in an e-mail directly and ask them to help you trouble shoot your situation.

3) This is not recommended for people that are not computer savvy, but it has helped some who have tried it. I myself got this to help in my situation as my build limits my options. Your overall objective is to turn off your hyper threading or at least make your computer not run MWO with virtual cores. If you are comfortable with adjusting your computer settings and your bios settings you should be able to try this option. If you do not know what I am talking about then I would not pursue this option as adjusting some settings on your cpu can damage your system permanently. Another safer option would be to download a utility that was made to help speed up systems. It is called project lasso by bitsom.com. I can essentially turn on this software and turn on MWO and while in the project lasso software I can adjust the active process of my computer. I then click on the mwo process and tell it to not use virtual cores. By doing so I gain at least 20-40fps, but I believe everyone experience could vary. I would highly recommend researching this software as it can be used to fine tune every single process in your pc and the last thing you want to do is accidentally turn off processing power on the rest of your pc's software. The program is free, but aftet 30 days it will ask you every time you turn on your pc if you want to register/purchase the software. If you click continue it goes away at least until you restart your pc.

At the end of the day everyone situation is different and my suggestions may be worthless,

I Hope this is helpful and you or anyone else who comes across my post.

P.S. Sorry for any grammar or confusion. I was never great in English class, LOL.

All the best.

Edited by Phoenix410, 28 May 2017 - 07:28 AM.

#23 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:40 AM

View PostPhoenix410, on 27 May 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

I have a Xeon Processor with Six Cores and 2 threads per core for a total of 12 threads with a max of 25.5 GHz

just an FYI, processor speed does not work like that, if you have 12 threads at 2.11 ghz each you do not get 25 GHZ total, you get 2 GHZ 12 times, to use an analigy, if you have 12 cars each able to do 160 KPH (100mph) that does not mean you can travel 1,900 KM (1,200 miles) in an hour.

CPU speed works in that way, yes if something is specificaly written to take advantage of 12 threads the 12 threads would be better than 4, but the vast majority of programs are not. What the higher core counts tend to be better at is running multiple tasks (or to go back to the car analigy multiple passangers to diferant destinations) at the same time.

P.S. Sorry for any grammar or confusion. I was never great in English class, LOL.

your English was fine, better than some of my posts, and I am English

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 28 May 2017 - 04:50 AM.

#24 Phoenix410

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 28 May 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

just an FYI, processor speed does not work like that,

I agree with what you say. Sadly my english and reviewing skills have failed me again. In reality that was a typo I missed. No excuses right???LOL, I was up later then I typically ever am by like 4 hours over. Secondly, I probably edited this entire post like 6 times before posting...hence partial the (P.S.) disclaimer at the end.

The 25.5 GHz slipped by from a previous wording of sentences and train of thought. It was regarding the max speed I get out of my internet switch in conjunction wit lag and loading times and other situations where your fps tank. Then I rewrote the post to just to be a do-it step by step item rather then just my thoughts. Leaving the 25.5 GHZ where it was laughably place now that I look at it. I would possibly kill for a cpu with a max thread of 25.5 ghz, LOL

BTW thanks for providing the good explanation on multi cores. Also since you mention software that takes advantage of multi threading..., I have rendering and modeling software that I use for work that takes use of all my threads so I get max benefit out of my cpu but as the previous post points out... mwo is one game where it suffers since the game was designed on dual core cpu primarily.

Thanks.

Edited by Phoenix410, 28 May 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#25 kyfire

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

Adding my 2cents worth, yes MWO is very CPU intensive! I'm running an AMD FX 9590 (stock no OC) with a GTX 770 GPU and MWO uses ALL 8 cores/ 8 threads of the CPU, on med graphics settings, giving me a solid 60fps. That is until thermal throttling hits, then I start having issues as the cores shut down and the CPU throttles the speed. So yes MWO can and will use all 8 cores/threads, not just 2.

#26 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

Until this post, we were not aware what your new laptop was.

3500 MHz (1 core)
3300 MHz (2 cores)
3100 MHz (3 or 4 cores)
2600 MHz base frequency

In your user.cfg, what is your maxFPS set at? Start it off at 45 then increase it up/down by 5. You want a more consistent FPS.

When your CPU turbo boosts kicks in, it is the BLCK frequency, not the multiplier, that is increased by applying more power to fewer and fewer cores. That generates heat, and it is meant to be a TEMP OC, not a prolong OC. That one core hits the thermal threshold and the CPU speed drops, creating a yo-yo effect on the CPU speed.

View PostCountess, on 26 May 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Necroing my old post so I don't have to make a new one. Even modified user.cfg for better fps, and still no change. If I try to downgrade the quality of the game the fps stay the same or get worse.This is just unacceptable for a game this old.
Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 May 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#27 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

View Postkyfire, on 28 May 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Adding my 2cents worth, yes MWO is very CPU intensive! I'm running an AMD FX 9590 (stock no OC) with a GTX 770 GPU and MWO uses ALL 8 cores/ 8 threads of the CPU, on med graphics settings, giving me a solid 60fps. That is until thermal throttling hits, then I start having issues as the cores shut down and the CPU throttles the speed. So yes MWO can and will use all 8 cores/threads, not just 2.

It roughly uses 2 cores. it uses a little bit on the third as well. It absolutely not does use 8 cores. What you are seeing, is Windows in action. All OS:s typically spread the execution evenly on all cores available.

If you have powerful enough graphics card, and you can be sure you are CPU limited, such as not limited by things like RAM, VRAM or vsync, and you can see that the game doesn't fully use GPU, then you can roughly estimate how many cores the game can use, by measuring it's CPU utilization. For example 50% utilization with 4 cores would be 2 cores used.

Certain things can make it more difficult, such as hyperthreading or AMD FX CPUs, because with them, one core is not the same as another core, so you can't measure it so easily. But given that your FX CPU has 4 modules, which is quite much more than 2 cores used by the game, the game roughly would measure to use 25%, if your GPU is powerful enough not to be the limiting factor. I think it is powerful enough as I have similiar powered AMD card and it's never on full GPU utilization, though I have vsync on. But still I get mostly 35-50. As the range of variance is about 20 FPS it's not worth staring much.

#28 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostCountess, on 22 December 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

So, there's nothing I can do? Posted Image

what graphics level do you have your settings at? they can't be on low, because i have way less and get 60 cap, but dips down to around 45, (some points a bit lower for a flash)

Turn down AA, particles, cockpit glass off, there might be another couple that give big improvements. I'd put everything down to medium, then start raising till you see performance dips.

#29 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

Try to disable video capturing software or turn off capturing. Next turn off any anti-aliasing settings of video card driver. Turn off V-sync. Behold 200fps.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 30 May 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#30 BenMillard

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 38 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 08 February 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Hmm, is that a typo about your CPU OC? 3.5ghz is base speed with a turbo to 4.0ghz if not OC....
  • System's Power Options, set to HIGH Performance. (double check it it is still set HIGH, as there was a window update that reset back to default Balanced)
  • Nvidia Control Panel, Power Management mode - change from Adaptive to MAX performance.

• Create a user.cfg and add the following (put file in main MWO folder)
    • sys_job_system_max_worker = 8
    • I would also turn off Vsync and had a max FPS line to user.cfg
    • sys_MaxFPS = 60
Got sys_job_system_max_worker from Narc Bait's thread.

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5588519

Great! Thank you so much for this.

user.cfg makes the game run like I would expect on Ultra in an ASUS RoG gaming laptop with i7-7700HQ and GTX1060 16GM RAM with 75Hz G-Sync screen.
sys_job_system_max_worker = 8
sys_MaxFPS = 75

I also set the process priority to Realtime as suggested earlier. Does that persist each time it runs? If it doesn't persist then the fps improvement is separate from that. (I restarted the game a couple of times after increasing graphics settings.)

I haven't noticed any tearing. Steam Overlay is saying 73fps most of the time. Rapid turning during weapons fire amongst other Mechs at 140km/h in a Spider drops it to ~60fps. Falling out of the dropship lags ~40fps until I reach the ground.

This is entirely playable. Seeing everything on Ultra detail is neat. Especially in the more terrestrial style maps like Forest Colony. GTA5 runs 75Hz with V-Sync (which actually works as G-Sync) in HD with everything Medium or High, for comparison.

Earlier this year I was running the settings in High and didn't have a user.cfg file and it V-Sync was On. Everything was running rather nicely. So maybe it's a performance regression from recent patches.

My NVMe drive is nearly full, under 30GB free space. Friends list is quite big, probably less than 100 though. I've got this performance boost without clearing more space in either of those resources.

This settings file is a silver bullet.

It should be the default or applied by some automatic detection. Would there be any problem with that?

Related topic: Poll about FPS drops on GTX10nn cards.

Edited by BenMillard, 04 March 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#31 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

I use an i7 and GTX 1070 and I still get low frames.

#32 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

Since the necro is strong...

Running a 1600X w/ GTX 1050TI and holding stable at 60fps unless I end up face tanking a quad rotary IS assault. Then it dips.

Aside from the usual things, make sure that Nvidia's Gamecenter hasn't tried to optimize the game. I ran it that way for a couple days and had horrid fps. Tracked it down to my son installing a GC update and scanning/optimizing all the games it found.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users