Death Of Cry Engine

195 replies to this topic

#1 xEdSteelex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

I just got the latest email update for Star Citizen and they said that they are ditching Cry Engine and switching to Amazon's Lumberyard engine. I don't know if this would be an option for MWO or not.

#2 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

MWO uses a heavily modded version of CryEngine 3 if I recall. it is also unsupported so this will not affect MWO in any way. (besides I think they are planning on moving over to Unreal 4 once MW5 is finished. That's just what I THINK will happen however, not actual facts.)

#3 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

How long has Star Citizen been in development? Switching to a new engine adds no fewer than 6 months to the development cycle even in the best case scenarios.

#4 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

Whoa WHAT

But they've accomplished so much in CryEngine haven't they? I can see MWO being switched over to a new game engine, but Star Citizen?

#5 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 23 December 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

I just got the latest email update for Star Citizen and they said that they are ditching Cry Engine and switching to Amazon's Lumberyard engine. I don't know if this would be an option for MWO or not.

Cry Engine is pretty much dead. Even MWO has been modifying the cryengine for years (if I remember correctly they worked MWO on version 3.3, and cry engine is at 3.11 or so right now). The lumberyard, which amazon licensed from crytech, ripped out a giant mess and reworked it. Russ has been saying that they have been planning on upgrading the engine MWO is on to either Unreal4 or another engine almost a year ago (which it looks like its going to be U4 engine since they decided to go with that for MW5). We will get the upgraded engine eventually, just not anytime soon.

View Postcazidin, on 23 December 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

How long has Star Citizen been in development? Switching to a new engine adds no fewer than 6 months to the development cycle even in the best case scenarios.

Star Citizen has been in development for years. If I remember correctly they have been piece meal building the game with different 'modules' that should work together. So depending on how they have it coded and how modified the cryengine they have been working on is, it may be easier or it may be harder depending on how unique the coding is. It will take time, but it can be done.

#6 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

Oh... Sham Citizen is being delayed? Again? Color me surprised.

#7 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

Oh, yes. This bodes well. Engine swaps during development always result in a stellar game delivered on time.

Or, you know... that other thing. Delayed train wreck.

I didn't think Star Citizens development could get more worrisome, but here we are.

Edited by Bombast, 23 December 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 23 December 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

It's just a PR grab. They're probably getting a deal out of publicly switching to Lumberyard. Which is newer and comes from Amazon's studio. They're the new kid on the block competing with Unreal, Unity, and Cryengine. And everyone who plays games has at least heard of the absurdity that is Star Citizen crowd funding. So it switching is a good PR grab for Amazon's new game engine.

This has no effect on MWO. If Amazon were to offer them a licensing deal that was cheaper, than perhaps they would consider the switch. But MWO is a much smaller entity than it's other Free to play contemporaries.

#9 dario03

• Colonel
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

I heard lumberyard is based on cryengine. If thats the case is it even a big move?

#10 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

I don't think anyone has actually posted anything from the source yet, so...

When Amazon announced Lumberyard back in February 2016, we were immediately interested. While based on the same baseline technology as Star Citizen, Lumberyard is specifically designed for online games, utilizing the power of Amazon’s AWS Cloud Services and their Twitch streaming platform. Amazon’s focus aligns perfectly to ours as we’ve been making significant engineering investments into next generation online networking and cloud based servers. Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.
As an added benefit Amazon AWS data centers are spread around the world from North America to South America, Europe to China to Asia Pacific, which will allow us to better support the many backers across the globe as we scale up Star Citizen.
Finally, Amazon has made Lumberyard freely available for anyone building their own game. That means that technically-inclined members of the community can have a better view 'under the hood' of our game than ever before. It's also a great path for anyone interested in game development professionally; I fully anticipate that in the coming year we will be hiring programmers who have taught themselves using Amazon's Lumberyard resources!
As we move forwards, we are confident you will see great benefits from our partnership. Amazon will bring new features to Lumberyard to assist in creating online persistent games, adding great support for their products like Twitch (which we use extensively) and of course investing heavily in engine research and development for years to come. We could not find a more stable and reliable engine partner than Amazon, so with this partnership we are sure we have secured the future development and continuing technical innovation for Star Citizen.

Unless I'm reading this wrong:
  • It's already done and it was quite straight-forward.
  • CryEngine was struggling, Amazon is a much more stable partner that isn't going to go broke anytime soon
  • The new engine will be easier to use for the community, which is a big boost for Chris Robert's original promise that people would be able to heavily modify Star Citzen and basically make their own universe if they didn't feel like being a part of the global persistent universe.

#11 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

A game needs to evolve and that included graphics and obviously running and old engine from the late 2000's will make your game look worse in the new age when compared to the newer games that share the market.

#12 xEdSteelex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:17 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 23 December 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

I don't think anyone has actually posted anything from the source yet, so...

Unless I'm reading this wrong:
  • It's already done and it was quite straight-forward.
  • CryEngine was struggling, Amazon is a much more stable partner that isn't going to go broke anytime soon
  • The new engine will be easier to use for the community, which is a big boost for Chris Robert's original promise that people would be able to heavily modify Star Citzen and basically make their own universe if they didn't feel like being a part of the global persistent universe.

True, SC was based on a heavily modified Cry Engine too, but yes it is easier for a game that is still in development to change the engine than a game that has already "launched".

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 23 December 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Oh... Sham Citizen is being delayed? Again? Color me surprised.

Not a scam, they will probably have the game done around 2020 or so.

#13 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

Question will MW5 be Direct X 12 or Direct X 11? Or something else supported?

#14 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

Put it this way, MechWarrior 5 is easily in the top 10 games coming in the biggest entertainment industry in the world. It may not get the press, but the quality of the game will be top 10 I hope. Like Mount and Blade Bannerlord or Kenshi, for players its a top 10. That's how I see it anyway. So I expect it will have the best of everything.

Amazon Lumberyard is now publicly in bed with Star Citizen but they were most likely working together already.

Cryengine has done a lot of games, Arch Age, Rise Son of Rome and others including Star Citizen and MechWarrior online and they are the basis for this Lumberyard engine. I wouldn't take anything to seriously yet.

Star Citizen wont likely be excellent for quite a while. I don't like this because the games industry has refused to give players a good in depth excellent space ship sim TO DATE, and its going to be 2017 soon. Very disturbing.
Especially since they have collected a lot of money from players looking for a good space ship sim, and banks. Billions. There does seem to be a problem here.

Edited by Johnny Z, 23 December 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#15 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 23 December 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

Not a scam, they will probably have the game done around 2020 or so.

The last game I played that was a decade or more in development was Duke Nukem Forever. Need I say more?

#16 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

so Star Citizen, the game that has been coming out since forever,
(i say forever because its release keeps getting pushed back every 6 months by 6 months)

says they are no longer going to be using Cry Engine?
how does this in any way show that Cry Engine is Dieing?

Star Citizen is an interesting game dont get me wrong, but its alot like (No Mans sky),
theirs a lot of hype but its actually not as big or game breaking at all, its pretty but not much else,
(i Play Space Engineers and theirs nothing that i could do in SC than i cant do in SE)

im abit confused about the whole SC nostalgia, id like to understand it,
Edit-

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 23 December 2016 - 06:27 PM.

#17 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 23 December 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

True, SC was based on a heavily modified Cry Engine too, but yes it is easier for a game that is still in development to change the engine than a game that has already "launched".

yes and no,
it all depends on programing and modeling,
how objects interact with each other and the environment that determines how hard a move will be,
a good example is going from Unity(that uses Object oriented Scripting(Java) to UDK(Visual Scripting(Kismet)
in the case of 2 very simaler Engines i would say it depends on how similar they are,
and how much data you have to transfer, theirs also trouble shooting problems,
(making something in Unity2 and upgrading to Unity3 will break lots)

#18 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 23 December 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

(i say forever because its release keeps getting pushed back every 6 months by 6 months)

says they are no longer going to be using Cry Engine?
how does this in any way show that Cry Engine is Dieing?

Star Citizen is an interesting game dont get me wrong, but its alot like (No Mans sky),
theirs a lot of hype but its actually not as big or game breaking at all, its pretty but not much else,
(i Play Space Engineers and theirs nothing that i could do in SC than i cant do in SE)

im abit confused about the whole SC nostalgia, id like to understand it,
Edit-

Exactly, can No Mans Sky be considered a full game? Can Space Engineers?

Star Citizen? Is just yet more proof players want a good space ship/space sim and are prepared to pay for it yet get nothing in return so far. Or rather eternal alpha state half done games, at best. To date MechWarrior Online falls into this category really, even if it is the best of the bunch.

Edited by Johnny Z, 23 December 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#19 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 23 December 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

going to stir up a Bee hive with that. I am pretty sure that they will get their game finished soon enough. Gonna laugh if the new battletech comes out before that game ever gets finished.

#20 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

View Postcazidin, on 23 December 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

My understanding is that concept art and stretch goals are Star Citizen. The game as it stands now is the final, finished product. Posted Image

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users