195 replies to this topic

#81 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostAcehilator, on 24 December 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

Wow... the pure amount of not having a clue is staggering. Nice hyberbole, and a contradiction on top. Well done.

Time for Nathan again... I guess I should use him in my signature, he is in high demand recently.

Posted Image

Oh good because I'm having fun. :)

#82 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 24 December 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

Oh really? Posted Image

How is getting in a plane(space ship) in Battlefield 1942, or tank or running around with a gun, in a "zone" different than what Star Citizen is selling? The MMO part is different? The setting?

How does all of this equal 4+ years and no playable game with the banked budget Star Citizen has.

Engines? Was Star Citizen sold to players on a completely new engine? No. Is it a completely new engine? No. Engine swapping is buying time, nothing else, for what amounts to a MODIFICATION.

Even MechWarrior Online which actually has new features and coding is in some ways a mod. Which isn't fair and is simplified but point made. Star Citizen cant even claim to be a mod yet until it manages to deliver on game play, which it wont, for reasons stated and then some.

Lol, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. It's not worth the time to try and break down all the different ways that your perception is just wrong.

#83 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostRatpoison, on 24 December 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Lol, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. It's not worth the time to try and break down all the different ways that your perception is just wrong.

Ok well better luck next year on that Star Citizen game. :) I almost feel like buying a Star Citizen ship so I can get in on the class action lawsuit.(I'm kidding)

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 December 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#84 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostMadcatX, on 24 December 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

The issue with Star Citizen, and it was for MWO as well as countless other games that were crowd-funded is as soon as you make that initial investment, your opinion on the game becomes automatically biased. You have invested money thus you won't objectively analyse any VALID critique.

Simple minded BS.

#85 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

I'm not even an SC backer and I can see that the game has shown a lot of progress. Moreso than any other games. The new stuff the've shown the past year and this year are pretty damn impressive. I almost feel like throwing money at them but I just want to wait a bit more..plus I've a boatload of games to play.

It has an extremely open development policy that even non-backers like me can have a pretty damn good picture at what they are doing if I put a bit of effort looking for it. Most of the salts here are purely based on misconceptions and outright ignorance. No game in existence has a more open development than SC, believe me.'

Some of the comments here literally read like many have a personal beef with SC somewhat yet they are no way involve with the game whatsoever so it seems really bizarre. Especially when it comes from players of a game that some have spent thousands buying mechpacks and paintjobs/decals and are also bitter that this game have a pretty poor development record, unfinished/half baked features + not that great reputation online too.

Edited by rollermint, 24 December 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#86 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

I'm so glad I've strayed from spending a single penny on Star Citizen, I feel like I will have an actual FTL capable ship before that game finally launches.

#87 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostRatpoison, on 24 December 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Simple minded BS.

Investment bias is a thing, actually. You can argue that your position isn't that, of course, but it's not a faulty concept.

Edited by Bombast, 24 December 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#88 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

Simple minded BS.

Simple minded reply.

#89 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

View Postrollermint, on 24 December 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

I'm not even an SC backer and I can see that the game has shown a lot of progress. Moreso than any other games. The new stuff the've shown the past year and this year are pretty damn impressive. I almost feel like throwing money at them but I just want to wait a bit more..plus I've a boatload of games to play.

It has an extremely open development policy that even non-backers like me can have a pretty damn good picture at what they are doing if I put a bit of effort looking for it. Most of the salts here are purely based on misconceptions and outright ignorance. No game in existence has a more open development than SC, believe me.'

Some of the comments here literally read like many have a personal beef with SC somewhat yet they are no way involve with the game whatsoever so it seems really bizarre. Especially when it comes from players of a game that some have spent thousands buying mechpacks and paintjobs/decals and are also bitter that this game have a pretty poor development record, unfinished/half baked features + not that great reputation online too.

If I had any say or preference it would be that Star Citizen is awesome and that I am looking forward to playing it myself.

As it is? I already went into that.

I will say though, that not releasing Star Citizen is in a lot of peoples interests. Again its about market sharing. This is a huge MASSIVE subject which effects a lot of video games and a lot of other things.

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 December 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#90 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

View Postrollermint, on 24 December 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Some of the comments here literally read like many have a personal beef with SC somewhat yet they are no way involve with the game whatsoever so it seems really bizarre.

This. The ignorant comparisons to No Man's Sky always make me laugh, as that game very intentionally did the opposite, hiding all development and showing off faked builds that didn't exist. I haven't given any money to Star Citizen yet, but I skim over the emails they send out on development, and progress has been more than reasonable from what I've seen. They release functional demos and in depth development reports constantly. I've noticed that there seems to be three main groups following the game:

The majority, who spent very little or no money on the game, who are just waiting to see a released product and aren't paying it that much mind otherwise.

The fanatical hypesters, who have injected all of their hopes and dreams for video games onto this one project, and have thrown hundreds or even thousands of dollars at the game under the assumption that it will make their dreams come true.

And the edgy cynical hipsters, who make any jump in logic necessary in order to be the cool kid who tells you how bad a thing is that he doesn't like, even though he knows nothing about it.

It's the third group that's really gotten annoying lately, I guess because many of them were themselves a part of the hype train, bought into it heavily, and their deluded, ignorant expectations didn't pay out.

#91 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

View PostBombast, on 24 December 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Investment bias is a thing, actually. You can argue that your position isn't that, of course, but it's not a faulty concept.

Of course it's a thing, and what does NOT mean is: "Anyone who buys thing can't ever accept any criticism of thing", like how it was used.

#92 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 24 December 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

Let me pose a challenge to some of you. I dare you to name one, just ONE MMO type game that allows you, the player to directly affect anything, and I mean ANYTHING in the game outside of the scripted and linear storyline the game gives you.

• Elite Dangerous (Canon basically found aliens and plotted star maps while the political powers game is open ended)
  • Star Wars Galaxies EMU (I hope I don't need to explain why. Player ran towns? Player economy and crafters? Multi person space ships and real time space combat? Basically already IS Star Cit just less flashy.)
  • Black Desert Online (To a degree)
  • RuneScape (yes really, market control)
  • Perpettum (Clone of EVE with 'Mechs instead of space ships. Though you guys would love it)
  • Eve Online
  • ArchAge (To a degree)
  • Life is Fudal (MMO Minecraft with swords and boards)
  • Crowfall
  • Darkfall
  • The Repopulation (Not sure on this one atm, since it kinda went a bit wonkey?)
  • Wurm Online (The original Minecraft MMO. Even had Notch as a part of development.)

Off the top of my head at least~ I must have some good prizes from all that now, surely? >.>

Star Citizen is not unique in what it does, only it's delivery. Hell, Star Wars Galaxies had multi person ships that you could walk around in while they were flew about around 12 years ago. So yeah.

It's not all that. It's been done. It's great, I want SC to survive and do well, but it is not unique or special. And it makes me roll my eyes to hear that people think it is.

Edited by Pika, 24 December 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#93 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

The question I am asking myself right now is, would they rather not bring Star Citizen to a complete playable state at all? All things considered, I have to say its entirely possible.

My best guess, they will make as little playable as possible for as long as possible and be very creative about it.

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 December 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#94 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

Simple minded BS.

there certainly are some simple minds running about this thread, yes.
speaking of which...

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 December 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#95 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 24 December 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

The question I am asking myself right now is, would they rather not bring Star Citizen to a complete playable state at all? All things considered, and I have to say its entirely possible.

My best guess, they will make as little playable as possible for as long as possible and be very creative about it.

tinfoil is in the drawer

#96 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 24 December 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

If I remember right.

CryEngine 2 and Lumberyard are almost the same thing.

They're both built and maintained by crytek. Lumberyard is a knock off version of CryEngine 2.

The change may not be as drastic as some are making it out to be.

^

Posted Image

#97 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Google is your friend!
Just google Lumberjack and cryengine and see what results you get.

Apparently Lumberjack is almost the same as Cryengine. Amazon bought the rights back in 2014 or so from Crytek.

#98 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostxEdSteelex, on 23 December 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

I just got the latest email update for Star Citizen and they said that they are ditching Cry Engine and switching to Amazon's Lumberyard engine. I don't know if this would be an option for MWO or not.

Lumberyard is a cut down/streamlined version of cryengine that is easier to extend, but it has the same back end as cryengine because again, it is technically cryengine.

#99 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 24 December 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

^

Posted Image

Lemme add to that, Crysis sold Cryengine 3 to Amazon. Its still Cryengine but with AWS(cloud platform) and Twitch support. CiG does this...so they dont have to reinvent the wheel + plus it takes the burden of hosting servers off their backs. Its a SMART move.

Again, as I mentioned earlier, most of the salts here are based on pure ignorance and hardly even know what they are even talking about. That they perceive this as something negative is just..LOL.

#100 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

'looks in for a minute'

Well, I know where this thread is going considering how many insults are flying around.

Posted Image

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users