Lrms Are So Op! They Destroy My Mech, My Ability To Take Cover, And Basic Military Logic Of Not Fighting Out In The Open Where Everyone Has Los!

297 replies to this topic

#41 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 24 December 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

And yet i keep having to tell LRMer teammates to use a TAG so they get locks faster, through ECM, and focus damage on CT...

The.

Mind.

Boggles...

TAG is for spotters, not IDF assets. A fast LRM platform, like a Griffon, could make optimal use of both. But very few of the big boats can, for them the TAG is a waste of tonnage and an energy hardpoint. That's another ML they could be using for point defense (or more ammo, another heat sink, tonnage put towards an active probe, a little extra armor, etc.).

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 24 December 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

Wat.

Boating is bad, mmmkay?

Pretty clear and concise, with just the same amount of arrogance as the "LRM Noskill hyuk" crowd uses.

And I love boating...especially at night... it's so relaxing.... especially with all these damn fireworks going off.... bloody pagan holiday....

View PostEscef, on 24 December 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

TAG is for spotters, not IDF assets. A fast LRM platform, like a Griffon, could make optimal use of both. But very few of the big boats can, for them the TAG is a waste of tonnage and an energy hardpoint. That's another ML they could be using for point defense (or more ammo, another heat sink, tonnage put towards an active probe, a little extra armor, etc.).

plus a lot of them don't have an advantageous hardpoint for it. It's one thing that made the HBK-4J so swell before it's nerf... head mounted TAG, combined with decent mobility. Never found it as useful on my AWS LRMboat back when I tried to run those. Sometimes it worked, but not often enough to feel "mandatory".

#43 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 December 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Pretty clear and concise, with just the same amount of arrogance as the "LRM Noskill hyuk" crowd uses.

Also wrong, but mmk.

And I love boating...especially at night... it's so relaxing.... especially with all these damn fireworks going off.... bloody pagan holiday....

Happy "We survived the winter!" festivities!

#44 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostBombast, on 24 December 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

It bothers me that I can't put my finger on which one.

It sounds like mostly a Shadow Hawk to me....

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 24 December 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Also wrong, but mmk.

Happy "We survived the winter!" festivities!

I'd like to see it demonstrated so, because so far virtually every conversation bout "skill" devolves to twitch shooting.

And hey, folks can have their festivities, though I got to admit, living in Latin America, not realyl sure what explosives and baby Jesus have to do with one another.... but this year has been mild compared to the last few...no huge parades going down my little street this year..... but if that priest doesn't stop setting off fireworks at 5am, he and I are not going to be friends.

#46 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 December 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

I'd like to see it demonstrated so, because so far virtually every conversation bout "skill" devolves to twitch shooting.

Usually because the necessity of intelligent positioning and timing and all that jazz is implicit with every weapon system. It's neither exclusive nor more imperative with LRMs; poor execution of either will get you killed just the same.

And hey, folks can have their festivities, though I got to admit, living in Latin America, not realyl sure what explosives and baby Jesus have to do with one another.... but this year has been mild compared to the last few...no huge parades going down my little street this year..... but if that priest doesn't stop setting off fireworks at 5am, he and I are not going to be friends.

Even up here in Commercial Christmas Land, it's been pretty low-key.

I guess 2016 sucked that much.

#47 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 24 December 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

Considering the fact that 2016 is trying to take Carrie Fisher down in its death throws, yeah, it sucked that much.

#48 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

View PostHauptmanT, on 24 December 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

It would also negate artemis... since that is what artemis does. Increase lock strength with LOS.

Artemis would just work as normal on top of the new bonuses. An Artemis LRM 20 hitting you within LOS should feel like being touched by an AC20 but since there are only 5 reloads per ton so you can't spam it like we all do atm.

The way LRM works right now, a good play never feels the need to bring AMS because you can either dodge the long distance ones or out shoot the LOS ones with your own direct fire weapon. With so little incentive for LRM boats to get within visual range, most players instinctively adopt the 'hold lock please' mentality - you can't force/teach people to play the way they don't feel comfortable with.

The only way to raise the bar of our lrm boats is to encourage 'smart' play style through rewards or at the very least, indicate what the 'right' way of usage should be.

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

Usually because the necessity of intelligent positioning and timing and all that jazz is implicit with every weapon system. It's neither exclusive nor more imperative with LRMs; poor execution of either will get you killed just the same.

and which of those weapon systems require you to hold you aim for 5-7 seconds? While having locks easily broken by terrain, omnipresent ECM, modules, etc? All while taking return fire that is essentially hitscan?

Last I checked, I position my gunboat mech,, pop up and fire, and return to cover all in .5 seconds (unless I have clan lasers... then I file my nails and check my email while waiting out the duration).

You know, if one held the pipper in the vague direction, got a lock and then poof, whatever happened, the LRMs went to the lock, you would have a point. But while the aiming "zone" is certainly larger for LRMs... it's also insanely easy to break that lock. And even when they get there, they are hardly efficient at actualyl killing things.

So let's, see, while taking hitscan, no lock required counter fire, a proper LRM mech must:
1) Spend a couple seconds with their reticle essentially on target to GET a lock...unless the unit has ECM
2) Fire those missiles and maintain that general hold while the opponent maneuvers, and you try to get our of the return fire yourself, for another 5+ seconds
3) Only to have everything and it's mother break locks, ez peazy
4) to, if you are lucky, scatter damage all over the enemy mech.
5) While hoping nothing get's within 180 meters, over over 1000, because oddly, Long Range Missile really aren't (in fact, unless play potatoes in slow Assaults, real range is between 180 and 500 meters)

takes absolutely no skill.... while

1) taking no lock instant popshots
2) that even with projectile velocities, get to the LRM mech before he even can get a lock
3) then returning to cover is comp,leet uber skill.

Got it.

Like I said...if it ain't "twitch" it ain't a "skilL".

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 December 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#50 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

View PostHauptmanT, on 24 December 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

Well someone like me... who can grasp the tactical aspects easily enough

I have definatley gravitated to lurms. I love lurms. Lurms love me. I'd marry them if I could. It's a thinking mans weapon.

HauptmanT 287 238 1.21 238 383 0.62 525 222

QFT

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 24 December 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

Considering the fact that 2016 is trying to take Carrie Fisher down in its death throws, yeah, it sucked that much.

yup.

Don't forget it also took David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Glenn Frey, Prince, Mohammad Ali, Anton Yelchin, Arnold Palmer, Gene Wilder, Ron Glass, John Glenn, and a whole lot more not famous people, too. Along with trying to take my mom earlier this year.

2016 just effing sucked.

#52 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 December 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

yup.

Don't forget it also took David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Glenn Frey, Prince, Mohammad Ali, Anton Yelchin, Arnold Palmer, Gene Wilder, Ron Glass, John Glenn, and a whole lot more not famous people, too. Along with trying to take my mom earlier this year.

2016 just effing sucked.

2016 was just out to get everyone. Even ignoring politics, basically everyone I know has had some **** happen to them this year. Whether it be someone almost becoming homeless, to cancer, to getting goddamn whiplash because of a hit and run that totaled your goddamn new van... Uh, ahem, yeah, I hate 2016.

#53 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 December 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

It sounds like mostly a Shadow Hawk to me....

Nope. Closest Shadow Hawk is the SHD-2H, which is missing two SRM tubes, a medium laser, and a small laser.

Edited by Bombast, 24 December 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 24 December 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

2016 was just out to get everyone. Even ignoring politics, basically everyone I know has had some **** happen to them this year. Whether it be someone almost becoming homeless, to cancer, to getting goddamn whiplash because of a hit and run that totaled your goddamn new van... Uh, ahem, yeah, I hate 2016.

I've never seen this much angst against a calendar year...and it's not like we had a World War or anything going on. But even without things going outright bad...their just seemed to be a malaise hovering over everything this year.... and I don't even do politics.

#55 Shard Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 303 posts
  • LocationPugsville, Pugistan.

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

I find my 12 cERSL Nova Prime is about as LOLNOSKILL as it gets.

#56 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

#57 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

View PostShard Phoenix, on 24 December 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

I find my 12 cERSL Nova Prime is about as LOLNOSKILL as it gets.

Run a proper Nova Prime lore build, ya no skill hack. Being able to 12 ERMLas without exploding is true skill.

#58 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 24 December 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

Posted Image

It's snowing! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas~~

Americans elected Trump of all people. Last time I remember USA choosing a bumbler as a president out of 350+ million people, Second Gulf War happened and Middle East became destabilized wreck, along with 2008 economic crash. And now Trump is appointing wolves to look after sheep pen.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 December 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#59 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

View PostBombast, on 24 December 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

Nope. Closest Shadow Hawk is the SHD-2H, which is missing two SRM tubes, a medium laser, and a small laser.

Well I took a shot.

#60 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

View PostTarogato, on 24 December 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

...when you get rekt by them, it feels cheap, because you know they decided to use the easiest weapon in the game, leech off of friendly locks, and that you'd smash their skulls in if they took anything else and actually had to aim for themselves.

Sounds like somebody's elite snipah Kodiak got caught poopy-poking from behind the wrong rock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users