128 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

Would it break the game if the Gauss rifle did not have a charging time. The charge seems a bit unnecessary due to its extremely long cool down, and the fact that it explodes if it's critted.

#2 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

I would rather not see the instant fire because it restricts one of the deadliest weapons in this game to those that have the patience to adjust to using it and the capacity to deal with it.

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 26 December 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

It's to compensate for the Gauss Rifle's near laser like velocity. I hate it to - Makes the weapon pretty much unusable for me. But I can see why it's in the game.

#4 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

The charge mechanic was instituted because the Gauss was dominating the game. Even weapon explosion didn't stop most people from favoring it over the AC20. And why not? 75% of the AC20's damage, comparable tonnage, more compact, effective range that hideously dwarfed that of the AC20, and the higher velocity round made it easier to use in brawling situations. While I don't like the way the charge mechanic was instituted (I'd love to hold charge indefinitely, but with a heat penalty), it successfully stopped the Gauss from being the go-to, all-purpose ballistic.

#5 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

because it's for balance

back when gauss had no charge time, everyone used it over ac 20.

because sure you did slightly less damage then ac20 but your accuracy, range were way way better then ac20. gauss also had no heat unlike overheat20.

#6 Cabusha3

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

At this point, for people that can use it, it's a non-issue. If you can't "get it" then an entire weapon system is effectively removed from the game for you.

That said, in Closed Beta it was THE brawler weapon of choice, because its cool fire made it a fantastic weapon to compliment hot srms and/or lasers. It also had DPM parity with the AC20. If it were to lose the charge up, it'd have to lose some DPM again. It's too good otherwise.

Edited by Cabusha3, 26 December 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#7 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

View PostKimberm1911, on 26 December 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Would it break the game if the Gauss rifle did not have a charging time. The charge seems a bit unnecessary due to its extremely long cool down, and the fact that it explodes if it's critted.

Yes, it would break the game. Explode it completely, as a matter of fact.

Also, I like the charge. I find the mechanic makes the gun interesting to wield.

#8 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

I play quite a bit of loadouts with the goose waffle and I think it would be detrimental to the game if the charge up were to go away. It may not be a weapon that everyone loves to play because it doesn't favor the brawler builds, but in its current state I feel that it most definitely has its place on the battlefield. Now, the duration of the cooldown on the other hand, I think could be dialed down a touch. But at the end of the day, I still play them because its a fun play style from time to time.

#9 Nighthawk513

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

I might could go with another half a second of charge held, but I like that you can cancel the shot. Just wish it could be held a bit longer...

But no instant fire.

Edited by Nighthawk513, 26 December 2016 - 07:07 PM.

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostKimberm1911, on 26 December 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

After fighting [228] players who were using MAD-IICs, I am absolutely convinced Gauss charge time should stay. Posted Image

The weapon is really good as is.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 December 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#11 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

Knowing PGI, they'd take this opportunity to remove the charge mechanic... but increase the CD by about 1-1.5 seconds because PGI hates the Gauss Rifle.

#12 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

PGI hates the Gauss Rifle? What a crap comment.

PGI didn't give it the base stats that makes the Gauss Rifle obsolete the AC/20. PGI "hates" the Gauss Rifle because they made it less than perfect, unlike the base stats it is based on. Too f-ing bad.

The only people who cannot "get it" and learn how to charge the weapon are folks who have either not played video games before, or their only experience is with RPGs. But, hey, I am an elitist. I have been playing video games since the NES came out, so I have en edge over the competition.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 26 December 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 December 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

But, hey, I am an elitist. I have been playing video games since the NES came out, so I have en edge over the competition.

Posted Image

#14 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 December 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

PGI hates the Gauss Rifle? What a crap comment.

PGI didn't give it the base stats that makes the Gauss Rifle obsolete the AC/20. PGI "hates" the Gauss Rifle because they made it less than perfect, unlike the base stats it is based on. Too f-ing bad.

The only people who cannot "get it" and learn how to charge the weapon are folks who have either not played video games before, or their only experience is with RPGs. But, hey, I am an elitist. I have been playing video games since the NES came out, so I have en edge over the competition.

No need to be an ***. Some people rightfully find a charge mechanic for a sniping weapon counterintuitive. It's really not fun when a person pokes around a corner, fires, and backs out again before you can finish charging up and fire at him when you were staring at the corner before he even turned it. Especially for someone that can't tell the color of the gauss charge bar due to being colorblind, so it's pure guesswork from the noise as to if you can fire or not.

#RemoveCharge #10SecondGaussReload

#15 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

No. It does not need the charge-up. If PGI were honest to themselves about the charge-up they would say the charge-up makes the weapon into a brawler gun, not as they claim that it restricts brawling.

What restricts brawling is a longer recycle than short range AC counterparts, pure and simple. Give it a 6-7 second recycle and players would think twice before mounting two Gauss Rifles and if they did they would be easily dealt with at short range.

PGI is just in love with the non-canon charge-up and will not allow BattleTech to overrule that. The Gauss Rifle only has a charge-up in MWO. Anywhere else, in every MechWarrior game it has no charge-up and travels at 3000-4000 meters per second and does not break balance because of it's longer recycle. So it has already been shown to not need the charge-up. PGI just wants the Gauss to be a Quake BFG gun.

#16 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 December 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

No need to be an ***. Some people rightfully find a charge mechanic for a sniping weapon counterintuitive. It's really not fun when a person pokes around a corner, fires, and backs out again before you can finish charging up and fire at him when you were staring at the corner before he even turned it. Especially for someone that can't tell the color of the gauss charge bar due to being colorblind, so it's pure guesswork from the noise as to if you can fire or not.

#RemoveCharge #10SecondGaussReload

There is a macro somewhere called Gauss Control that fires the gauss instantly as soon as the charge is over. It's not to everyone's liking but it's how I learned the glory of pinpoint at 700 meters.

#17 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 26 December 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

There is a macro somewhere called Gauss Control that fires the gauss instantly as soon as the charge is over. It's not to everyone's liking but it's how I learned the glory of pinpoint at 700 meters.

Thought about it and looked it up, but I can't deal with that. First of all, having to use a macro to make a weapon usable sucks, I already have to do that when I have a TAG stuck on a high weapon count mech. Second, there are a lot of cases where you have to abandon firing due to realizing that the charge is taking too long and that the target will be behind cover or is blocking the part you were planning on shooting, and let it ride out. The macro would force me to waste a lot of ammo. I just really, really hate the charge-up.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 26 December 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

No. It does not need the charge-up. If PGI were honest to themselves about the charge-up they would say the charge-up makes the weapon into a brawler gun, not as they claim that it restricts brawling.

What restricts brawling is a longer recycle than short range AC counterparts, pure and simple. Give it a 6-7 second recycle and players would think twice before mounting two Gauss Rifles and if they did they would be easily dealt with at short range.

PGI is just in love with the non-canon charge-up and will not allow BattleTech to overrule that. The Gauss Rifle only has a charge-up in MWO. Anywhere else, in every MechWarrior game it has no charge-up and travels at 3000-4000 meters per second and does not break balance because of it's longer recycle. So it has already been shown to not need the charge-up. PGI just wants the Gauss to be a Quake BFG gun.

In MW4: Mercs multiplayer, Gauss was pretty OP and it had 8 seconds cooldown. So your 6-7 seconds cooldown suggestion is nothing much, if you consider that current Gauss cooldown is 5.75 seconds already, with charge.
8 seconds minimum for the Gauss if charge is removed.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 December 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#19 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 December 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

In MW4: Mercs multiplayer, Gauss was pretty OP and it had 8 seconds cooldown. So your 6-7 seconds cooldown suggestion is nothing much, if you consider that current Gauss cooldown is 5.75 seconds already, with charge. 8 seconds minimum for the Gauss if charge is removed.

It'd neuter its DPS into the ground, but I still want a 10 second cooldown, with charge gone.

#20 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

A charging gauss is frustrating and counter intuitive but gameplay wise, it's an absolute must for MWO. If the gameplay is less an arena brawl or if customization is more limited then maybe. As it stands right now, without the charge, every mech heavier than 50 ton will sport a gauss even if means stripping everything else.

I swear, half of the problems with MWO balance is PGI's decision to let player customize every mech like they are omnis. Without weapon slot size restriction, MWO will forever waddle in this semi-acceptable arena shooter state.

I believe HBS's BT wouldn't allow something as crazy as dual ac20/gauss Jager etc and to me, that it shows HBS has far better insight into game design than PGI...or should that be common sense?

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users