"balance"

127 replies to this topic

#41 Gerwig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

The same could be said for the massive alpha ebon jags we face loaded with 2 large pulse and medium lasers, deadly in the hands of people that know how to use it. Balance is about as good as it's been in ages.

#42 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 29 December 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

Ebon Jags have that high mount you seek, Loyalty torso'ed Summoners, Hellbringers, Night Gyrs, Timbers, Kodiaks, Hunchback IIc....wait, all Tier 1 Clan mechs have the high torso mounts you seek to do Gauss/CERPPC, or just CERPPC. Gauss is also a wonderful weapon, learn it, the refusal to do would point back to another person's comments about "skilling up"

I just got a He'll bringer prime a few days ago. Spent most of my chills on it. So need to build the funds back up to mod it out a bit. Haven't played the ebon enough to quantify buying that yet. Btw keep in mind I will not spend real cash on mech packs. Got burnt once and won't fund them any more. So all chill is grinded. Now with LRMS I'm really digging the 6lrm5 maddog. So that may be my grind mech for now. Otherwise it's my founder lineup.

#43 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostGrus, on 30 December 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

I just got a He'll bringer prime a few days ago. Spent most of my chills on it. So need to build the funds back up to mod it out a bit. Haven't played the ebon enough to quantify buying that yet. Btw keep in mind I will not spend real cash on mech packs. Got burnt once and won't fund them any more. So all chill is grinded. Now with LRMS I'm really digging the 6lrm5 maddog. So that may be my grind mech for now. Otherwise it's my founder lineup.

So if I understand correctly, for you its not so much about balance, but rather that you are space poor and lacking in mechs? I am not trying to be mean b/c I think a lot of people are in that boat. Fact is, its really hard to do fp effectively if you don't have a rotation of about 8-12 mechs to cover both invasion and scouting... some might call this a paywall but i think thats a reasonable jumping-off point for investing in this game and for what most consider the end-game content.

If you won't buy mechs. I suggest investing in mechbays and premium time (conveniently on sale right now!)...

#44 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 30 December 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

So if I understand correctly, for you its not so much about balance, but rather that you are space poor and lacking in mechs? I am not trying to be mean b/c I think a lot of people are in that boat. Fact is, its really hard to do fp effectively if you don't have a rotation of about 8-12 mechs to cover both invasion and scouting... some might call this a paywall but i think thats a reasonable jumping-off point for investing in this game and for what most consider the end-game content.

If you won't buy mechs. I suggest investing in mechbays and premium time (conveniently on sale right now!)...

Almost. To put it better I won't spend MC other than what I win in FP (yes I do earn some :P ) after reading and digesting what every one is is telling me (aside from the "get gud scrub" posts) is the only way to beat the IS meta is to go meta for clan. Sucks, but I guess that's what I'll need to do. I like and enjoy using my diverse clan builds, they have served me well in quick play and it's sad I can't bring them to FP and be competitive. I hate to make a comparison with another game but that's what I love about EVE. Trust in the rust! So manyou diffrent ways to win and defend but it's hard to tank against all. Here not so much, just pack X large lazy and alot of heats inks and you'll do good... little disheartening.

Add to the shear ammount of chills I have to grind just to get all the good mods and website for a clan mech vs the other white meat just adds to it.

#45 Myantra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 210 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

View PostGrus, on 30 December 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

Almost. To put it better I won't spend MC other than what I win in FP (yes I do earn some Posted Image ) after reading and digesting what every one is is telling me (aside from the "get gud scrub" posts) is the only way to beat the IS meta is to go meta for clan. Sucks, but I guess that's what I'll need to do. I like and enjoy using my diverse clan builds, they have served me well in quick play and it's sad I can't bring them to FP and be competitive. I hate to make a comparison with another game but that's what I love about EVE. Trust in the rust! So manyou diffrent ways to win and defend but it's hard to tank against all. Here not so much, just pack X large lazy and alot of heats inks and you'll do good... little disheartening.

Add to the shear ammount of chills I have to grind just to get all the good mods and website for a clan mech vs the other white meat just adds to it.

If you consider what "meta" is in MWO, which is most effective Mech builds, then it makes sense that it can only be countered consistently with the most effective builds. Meta does not necessarily mean you only play with laser vomit. If you look at the mastery guides on metamechs.com, you will see far more builds for Clan Mechs than just laser vomit. Laser vomit just tends to be popular due to its midrange strength on Clan Mechs. There is nothing wrong with using SPL/SRM builds, or Gauss/PPC, or dakka, or MPL builds. You really do have a lot of options. Things like a pair of ERLL, pair of ERML, and an SRM4 are what you want to avoid. It may work in BT tabletop, but it just means you are not doing anything effectively in MWO. You can get away with things in QP that you cannot in FP, mostly due to the drastically increased odds of encountering coordinated opposition.

It also helps substantially if your team is dropping with similar Mech configurations (all brawl, all range, etc.), as you want to maximize 12v12.

#46 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

You don't need to run META all the time. You can use variation. I have cERPPCs, cERL etc etc in my decks, it depends on the maps, modes etc. I wouldn't call a 4ERL/1cERPPC WHK "meta" by any means of the word, but oddly enough it works really well as one example.

I even run a brawler SHC, that is hardly FP "meta". Again, depends on the map and what the game plan is.

The biggest issue clan side right now is not the IS/tonnage. IMO it's the UAC smashing that all mechs got to bring down one (KDK3).

#47 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

This is why I didn't even say meta in my suggestion... you need "bit of everything", hence my suggestion of 8-12 different mechs.

#48 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 30 December 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

This is why I didn't even say meta in my suggestion... you need "bit of everything", hence my suggestion of 8-12 different mechs.

This is how I ended up with 11 Timbers during the time Clan had 260Ton decks at end of FW 2. 3x laser vomit, 3x gauss vomit, 3x mpl build, 2x dakka

#49 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 30 December 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

This is how I ended up with 11 Timbers during the time Clan had 260Ton decks at end of FW 2. 3x laser vomit, 3x gauss vomit, 3x mpl build, 2x dakka

Whoa... I like timbers as the next guy, buy daaaaaayum...

#50 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 30 December 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

Whoa... I like timbers as the next guy, buy daaaaaayum...

In my defense, I did buy 6 of them during a 35% off c-bill sale. They're not all set up that way anymore (since I can't run more than 2 Timbers in a deck now anyways). They're more set up 3 Laser vomit of 2xLPL +3/4/5 ERML, 2 are CERPPC/Gauss, 2 are SRM brawlers, 1 of gauss+5ERML and gauss+LPL+ERML, and 2 are collecting dust.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 30 December 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#51 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

I guess I just don't want another Netmech situation back in the 90's where all you saw was Warhawks, Hellbringers with jump jets packed with lasers and thats it. (Showing my age here)

#52 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostGrus, on 30 December 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

I guess I just don't want another Netmech situation back in the 90's where all you saw was Warhawks, Hellbringers with jump jets packed with lasers and thats it. (Showing my age here)

Unfortunately, every game out there will have top picks for characters/class/mechs/builds/you name it. Can you overcome bad builds with good skill, yes. Can you absolutely suck with good builds and no skill, yes. However, it is usually easier to use good builds with average skill, than bad builds with average skill.

#53 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

Having been here since the beginning, I would gladly take the current laser vomit meta over the poptarting, PPC+Gauss, PPC+AC/5, or Ludicrous Drive LRM metas. Laser vomit is actually pretty manageable and has significant drawbacks. The old metas didn't really have any weaknesses aside from the nerfbat, which only Russ and Paul are allowed to equip.

Edited by Nightmare1, 30 December 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#54 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 30 December 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

Having been here since the beginning, I would gladly take the current laser vomit meta over the poptarting, PPC+Gauss, PPC+AC/5, or Ludicrous Drive LRM metas. Laser vomit is actually pretty manageable and has significant drawbacks. The old metas didn't really have any weaknesses aside from the nerfbat, which only Russ and Paul are allowed to equip.
but gauss cats would die so easy to a raven or cicada...

#55 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostGrus, on 30 December 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

but gauss cats would die so easy to a raven or cicada...

Guass Catapults, Cataphracts, Shadowcats, or Madcats? MWO has so many feline "cats..." :lol:

The thought is nice, but realistically, they would not. We'd just end up with long battlelines of Gauss banks that smashed the other team apart because the other team didn't coordinate to bring the same long battlelines of Gauss banks, lol.

#56 redcatstorm

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Posted Image

wow clan OP.

Guys it's a lot about who you're facing and who you have with you. you guys need to get proper decks, coordinate your builds and call better in match.

#57 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

you were fighting a superior coordinated team. yeah blame the laservomit if you want, but it ain't what beat ya....

#58 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

View Postredcatstorm, on 30 December 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

Posted Image

wow clan OP.

Guys it's a lot about who you're facing and who you have with you. you guys need to get proper decks, coordinate your builds and call better in match.

Yeah, a 12-man should always beat a motley assortment of Pugs like that, lol. Pugs shouldn't expect anything different. :lol:

#59 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 30 December 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

Current meta is not laser vomit. It's actually PPFLD with PPCs being the thing.

But everything works right now, so it's not really an issue.

#60 KODIAK-AU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

Some of the better guys can still be beaten whilst playing IS.

As most of the better players have stated, it's all about mech choice and having the better builds on your mechs.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users