An Omnipod Characteristic That Can Have Future In Game Application.

Metagame

23 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

Omnimechs are designed to change their loadouts on the go, to suit their mission parameters. Such modular technology did not come cheap so omnimechs were only used in elite frontline units. It is ironic that second line Battlemechs have overtaken them in terms of efficiency in MWO. Not to mention IS omnimechs will fare even worse. Well, here is an info that might bring more diversity and usefulness to omnimechs, should it be implemented. Downside is that it will be even more work for PGI, in terms of coding, and modeling.

According to Sarna: OmniTechnology has also been used to bridge the technological gap between the Clans and the Inner Sphere. While Inner Sphere and Clan components are generally mutually incompatible, the Inner Sphere developed the technology by reverse-engineering Clan OmniTechnology after the Battle of Luthien, resulting in systems that used the same OmniPod interface. Inner Sphere and Clan Omnis can thus mount either Inner Sphere or Clan OmniPods, or both interchangeably.

That underlined part is most interesting, as one immediately thinks of the vast amount of possibilities and variations such cross tech combinations can result in. Want to put Mad Dog's ST omnipods with half weight CLRMs/CSSRMs on that Avatar? Technically, you can. Conversely, wanna put Avatar's ST omnipods with FLD IS LRMs on that Mad Dog? Technically, you can.

Such application could be useful to further solidify omni-mechs' position in the power curve, or could break the game balance, for all I know. We still have to wait until IS omnimechs are put into this game, which means the timeline has to move to 3056, at the least. Just wanna say that cross tech can become reality, using omnipods.

#2 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

Why take IS tech then? Every mech would just run Clan weapon since they perform better, or weigh less.

#3 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostSirNotlag, on 30 December 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

Why take IS tech then? Every mech would just run Clan weapon since they perform better, or weigh less.

Sooooo IS quirks + Clan weaponry?
Not sure if

or

#4 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 December 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

That underlined part is most interesting, as one immediately thinks of the vast amount of possibilities and variations such cross tech combinations can result in. Want to put Mad Dog's ST omnipods with half weight CLRMs/CSSRMs on that Avatar? Technically, you can. Conversely, wanna put Avatar's ST omnipods with FLD IS LRMs on that Mad Dog? Technically, you can.

Except that the fixed Endo/Ferro slots, heat sinks, jump jets, or other such junk in a given chassis' Omnipods would be incompatible with the same in another chassis' Omnipods.

Your Avatar with Mad Doge shoulders would have some Sphere Endo/Ferro, some Clan Endo/Ferro, the wrong slot counts for either, not to mention part of a Sphere XL in the CT and, potentially, two half-parts of two different cXLs in the shoulders, given current Omni implementation.

That is a whole new level of FrankenMeching, mang.

You'd have to pretty much rip out the current system completely and rebuild an entirely new Omnipod system of some sort from scratch. Not to mention the inevitable question of "if I can put Mad Doge pods in my Avatar, why can't I, ohhhh...put some Hellbringer pods in my SUMMONER and get some FREAKING HARDPOINTS?!"

It's kind of a horrific nightmarish balance quagmire. There's some interesting thought experiments to be had with the idea of Sphere OmniMechs being able to implement some amount of Clan technology, but in practice it's...well.

Posted Image

#5 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Which is why I have been reminding PGI constantly that they should balance base tech of both factions so mechs are less quirk reliant.

View Post1453 R, on 30 December 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

Except that the fixed Endo/Ferro slots, heat sinks, jump jets, or other such junk in a given chassis' Omnipods would be incompatible with the same in another chassis' Omnipods.

Your Avatar with Mad Doge shoulders would have some Sphere Endo/Ferro, some Clan Endo/Ferro, the wrong slot counts for either, not to mention part of a Sphere XL in the CT and, potentially, two half-parts of two different cXLs in the shoulders, given current Omni implementation.

There are easy ways and harder ways to do it. I am just offering a possibility of cross tech that is lore friendly.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 December 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#6 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:00 AM

PGI has stated in the past that they don't want cross tech.

#7 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 30 December 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

PGI has stated in the past that they don't want cross tech.

PGI stated in the past a lot of things. I learned not to trust them.

#8 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

imagine a kodiak with single projectile IS ballistics.......

#9 iliketurtles87

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 30 December 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

not really impressive because it could only mount 1 Ac10/20 or 2 uac5 each side torso. Pretty bad ough

Edited by iliketurtles87, 30 December 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 30 December 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

Kodiak is not an Omnimech. The rule will not apply.

#11 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

View Postiliketurtles87, on 30 December 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

not really impressive because it could only mount 1 Ac10/20 or 2 uac5 each side torso. Pretty bad ough

could mount a ac 10 and an uac5 in each ST with a standard engine, and thats a lighter load than the quad c-Gauss build people run right now

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 December 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Kodiak is not an Omnimech. The rule will not apply.

true... forgot we were talking about omnimehcs...but it is an argument for NOT allowing mixed tech

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 30 December 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

could mount a ac 10 and an uac5 in each ST with a standard engine, and thats a lighter load than the quad c-Gauss build people run right now

true... forgot we were talking about omnimehcs...but it is an argument for NOT allowing mixed tech

Except IS AC10 + UAC5 per ST is just so bad. The bullet speed is not synced, and the range is atrocious for AC10. I'd prefer quad IS UAC5 instead.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 December 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#13 Tombs Clawtooth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

You better believe I'd be picking up IS ACs like they're going out of style.

#14 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

Forget about Clan mechs with IS weapons. Can I put Kodiak arms on my Mist Lynx?

#15 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 30 December 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

Forget about Clan mechs with IS weapons. Can I put Kodiak arms on my Mist Lynx?

Considering how much it skips leg day, I want Night Gyr legs on the Lynx. :P

#16 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

The only time I can get behind Clan tech on IS 'Mechs is on the R Confuguration of IS Omnis, and only then if your are running only R pods. Locked stuff remains IS.

View PostTombs Clawtooth, on 30 December 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

You better believe I'd be picking up IS ACs like they're going out of style.

No you wouldn't. AC/10 is worse than cGauss in slots, damage, range, and projectile velocity. One AC/5 is useless, two is 4 tons heavier and two slots larger than cGauss with worse damage, range, and projectile velocity. The UAC/5 is one ton off from cUAC/10 and offers inferior ammo per ton without actually being more efficient in damage on the component (nobody is spreading damage from the burst when it lasts 0.22 seconds).

You'll try it out, and then wonder why your damage is so low or your PPFLD seems less effective, and then go back to cGauss...unless you are one of those people who can't deal with the charge mechanic.

#17 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

If mixtech is ever brought in, and by god I hope it never is, nearly all of my Clan mechs will be running IS AC's and Lasers.

Single shot AC's, shorter duration and cooler running Lasers, maybe even with a higher Ghost Heat threshold...

#18 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

There already exists a largely unnoticed Omnimech advantage.

Mastering a mech chassis type currently requires three different variants of the same base chassis. An omnimech can be configured to suit the desires of the pilot so essentially an Omnimech pilot does not get stuck with having to grind XP on the inevitable terrible variant that non Omimech pilots frequently have the contend with.

Another advantage is omnimech role configuration and adaptability to suit changing game meta.If the trend is SRMs you slap on missile hardpoint pods,if it's ballistics slap on some of those if it's laser vomit slap on energy hardpoint pods. A battlemch user would in many cases need to switch to a whole new chassis and need to grind XP to master those and of course spend time mastering the "bad" variant as well as contending with different performance envelopes from different quirks and hardpoint placements and types.

Our current rules set allows for an Omnimech user to master three variants of one Omnimech chassis frequently using the identical build on all three allow for consistancy in performance as well as efficency in cost and play time to achieve mastery.

The Battlemech user needs a stable full of mechs to suit various roles desired and frequently has 2 other variants collecting dust post mastery because those variants are not the "meta" one. Also as the meta shifts former top performers are replaced with the new FotM meta mechs leaving the old meta mechs collecting dust or sold for half their original costs and loss of time and XP used to master them.

The new up coming mastery system is even more in favor of Omnimechs because we will no longer need to master three of a given chassis type. You will literally only need the best variant of the best omnimech in any given class. Maybe multiples of the same for FW drop decks.

Battlemech users will still need to have a pile of mechs to fill the various roles and shifting meta as well as multiple chassis of the same type to fill drop decks.

#19 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

This whole idea might work for arms and legs.

Entire side torsos? The reality would be a catastrophic failure, as the Mechs have different side torso shapes and sizes. It's impossible lore fluff, and even I think it's not really worth considering.

Sorry... Just not a bus I would hop onto. I'd rather take a transit ride through Forest Colony with a LBX/10.

#20 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

more reasons to take clan mechs! \o/

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users