Poll Discussion - 2017 Mechs

581 replies to this topic

#581 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Was thinking Crusader, not champion, but that's 65 tons and as you said a bit saturated ATM

#582 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Looking at the underpopulated weights for IS...
20 (1)
25 (1)
30 (2)
40 (2)
85 (2)
95 (1)

I agree that the Nightstar and Sagittaire are excellent choices for 95 tons, so that's one weight class fleshed out.

For 20 tonners, the Flea comes up a lot, as do both the Stinger and Wasp, but I've seen a few good re-designs for the Mercury (though it suffers the same MASC issue as the Fire Moth).

As for 25 tonners, 2 oddballs. First, the Brigand with an Energy heavy variety of variants, adding Jump Jets to further differentiate it from the Commando. The odd Missile weapon and one with ECM give it a lot of options. Second, we have the Raptor as a pretty solid IS OmniMech. All 3 weapon system makes it different from both the Commando and Brigand and being an IS Omni has to be worth some points!

Onto 30 tonners! Wow, so good many options here. My lovely Anubis brings all the Missiles to the 30 ton category, and looks great doing it. ECM and Stealth Armour make it extra sneaky. The Firefly offers Missiles over the mostly Energy and Ballistic options of the Spider and Urbanmech, with the additional benefits of Jump Jets and 2 with ECM. I like the Hammer for the simplicity. Plus, the 3C has 7 Medium Lasers! Next, while the Hussar has the potential to have a variant with less weapons than the SPD-5V, it also brings some more ECM and a lovely LB10X to the 30 ton table. The Osiris seems very popular around here and with the option to bring almost any weapon, I can see why. Lastly, the Razorback rounds off the 30 tonners with another good mix of all 3 weapon types. However, lacking in Jump Jets and/or ECM hurts it compared to the other options.

For 40 tonners, there's always MW4 nostalgia with the Chimera as a safe bet. Decent weapon selection, looks different to both the Assassin and Cicada, has Jump Jets to take keep it mobile. For the 3025 crowd, there's the Clint, which ticks my box because it rocks an AC on many variants. Again, Jump Jets keep it mobile, although it could have a similar silhouette to the Assassin. Then there's the Sha Yu, mostly an Energy boat and not that interesting, though it does seem popular. For an oddball finish, there's the Strider OmniMech. Honestly, I'm not a fan, but it's definitely something different.

Finally, the 85 ton 'mechs. Well, let's start strong with the Gunslinger. Dual Gauss, ECM and all the lasers? Looks great! The 85 ton slot needs a good Ballistic option and this looks like a good place to start. While it's not Ballistic heavy, the Tai-Sho ticks my PPC box instead! Last but not least, we have the Templar OmniMech. It's got a decent engine rating, Endo & DHS. We could do a lot worse with an Omni Assault.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users