- - - - -

Heya, Best First Mech?

20 replies to this topic

#1 x Xyanide x

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm new here, and would like to know the best mech for a begginer in the game.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

A million threads on this subject if you want to use the forum search bar.

General consensus is start with a medium, all the clan ones are good, most of the IS ones are too.

Is there something that catches your eye? A certain weapon you like using? Any weight class?

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

Try all eight trial mechs then report which one you had the most fun in. We will proceed from there.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

View Postx Xyanide x, on 06 January 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

I'm new here, and would like to know the best mech for a begginer in the game.

Welcome to MWO.

First and foremost... The "Best" mech for a beginner in game is typically generic because the question is generic. In which case, Hunchback.

If you can be much more specific about you, we could recommend the best 'Mechs for you specifically as different 'Mechs are better suited to different playstyles.

Some are better and hit-and-run,
some suit well with the hold-kinda-still-and-shoot,
some are good for bunny hopping,
some are really good for those who frame rates are low,
some are decent for players whose have trouble aiming,
some are pretty good for players who enjoy fighting more than one opponent at a time,
some are good for players who just want to hold the trigger
and others are better suited for those who want to pop-and-squat.

It's a really, really long list. So the more specific you can be, the better your help will be.

Edited by Koniving, 06 January 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#5 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 559 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

My first was the Mad Dog Prime. Still one of my best mechs.

#6 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Hunchback or even better Hunchback IIc if you got the mc or cbills.

#7 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

most of us are gonna cast the hunchie vote. like Koniving said, it's generic, which in MWO isn't a bad thing: it means you can try out every weapon system easily and learn the defensive tactics that work for all mechs, like torso twisting. Also, hunchbacks are cheap.

#8 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

3 heavies and a medium should be your 1st 4 mechs, medium should be a 50 tonner if clan (nova/huntsman/hunchback) 55 if IS (griffin/centurion)

heavies should be ebons or hellbringers if clan, Warhammers or grasshoppers or battlemasters (assaults) if IS

Go to metamechs for a starting point for good builds

#9 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

I agree with whats posted here, but I would recommend a fast light or medium with ecm.

Why?

If you are brand, brand new and do not know the maps well then a fast mech is invaluable for getting you in and out of bad positioning.

Also you can use your speed to observe the builds, and positions that other players use and fight from.

And finally you can help your team mates by reporting enemies and patterns to your team, however, this selfless action is generally dead in the QP queue.

Edited by Peter Wolf 359, 07 January 2017 - 01:57 AM.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:00 AM

For a generic suggestion I agree with most of the other posters, Hunchback is probably the best learner Mech, it is relitavely cheap to buy and outfit, each variant plays differently and it will teach you things like sheilding a vulnerable componant (everyone knows most of your firepower is in the hunch so you will quickly learn how to protect it, a skill which will be realy useful later), and prohaps most importany it is not overpowered.

But I strongly recommend trying all the trial Mechs for a few games each and taking notes on what you like/dislike about each (e.g. I like the speed and agility of [Mech name] I like [weapon name] but hate [weapon], I need Jumpjets and like the durability of [mech]), then post your notes back here and we should be better able to help.

I also strongly recommend doing the training and first 25 games because those pay 8 million cbills for the training and 12 million + match earnings for the first 25 games. After training and the first 25 games you should have 19-21 million depending on how well you have done.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#11 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

I always recommend the stormcrow for new players. Not hideously expensive, given that with some omnipods you can do/try basically everything but a multiballistic build in a mech that does about 100 and has reasonable hitboxes (apart from the legs)
Better than buying three hunchies to get the same 'try everything' capabilities.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 06 January 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Try all eight trial mechs then report which one you had the most fun in. We will proceed from there.

there are 16 trial Mechs, 2 for each weight class for Clan and 2 for IS

View PostPeter Wolf 359, on 07 January 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

I agree with whats posted here, but I would recommend a fast light or medium with ecm.

Why?

If you are brand, brand new and do not know the maps well then a fast mech is invaluable for getting you in and out of bad positioning.

Also you can use your speed to observe the builds, and positions that other players use and fight from.

And finally you can help your team mates by reporting enemies and patterns to your team, however, this selfless action is generally dead in the QP queue.

not saying you are wrong, but this early ECM can become a crutch which people become overreliant on, and many people find Lights to be hard to play well. try the trial Mechs to see if you like fast Mechs before buying one, although a Light will absolutely teach some good things

View PostStormie, on 07 January 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

I always recommend the stormcrow for new players. Not hideously expensive, given that with some omnipods you can do/try basically everything but a multiballistic build in a mech that does about 100 and has reasonable hitboxes (apart from the legs)
Better than buying three hunchies to get the same 'try everything' capabilities.

the reason I sugest the Hunchie over the SCR is the Hunchie teaches good habits which the Stormcrow does not, the Stormcrow is one of the best Mechs available and most other Mechs will feel underpowered and unresponsive if you learn on that, and even taking into account the costs of upgrades you can buy 2 hunchies for the cost of a SCR, although admitidly with the requirement for 3 Mechs to master a chassis probably being removed in Feburary cost will become less of an issue

#13 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Linebackers are legit, after piloting them though it makes other mechs feel inferior at first. It's ability to hit and run as a skirmisher is fantastic. Lack of jump jets make this a one horse pony but damn does it run.

Edited by Natred, 09 January 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#14 Valkyrie73

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

Nova is a great mech now. they have speed, small size, jumpjets and good weapon options.

#15 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

*Ahem!*

The nova has always been a great mech. They are not, however, best at showcasing all the weaponry or teaching twisting like the hunchie. I feel they are a better mech for my playstyle, but until the OP gives us more information to go on, I'd still suggest the Hunchback.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 09 January 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#16 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

Beware generic, one size fits all advice. It often doesn't.

That said, to get GOOD advice, we need more information from you. The more information you give us, the better and more detailed/reasoned advice you will get in return.

But if your answer is "whatever, anything" then that is also the answer you get.

Spheroid made a good suggestion (also don't forget the tutorial mechs and shooting your instructor). I'd go with that, unless you already have some experience you can report on.

View PostKoniving, on 06 January 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO.

First and foremost... The "Best" mech for a beginner in game is typically generic because the question is generic. In which case, Hunchback.

If you can be much more specific about you, we could recommend the best 'Mechs for you specifically as different 'Mechs are better suited to different playstyles.

Some are better and hit-and-run,
some suit well with the hold-kinda-still-and-shoot,
some are good for bunny hopping,
some are really good for those who frame rates are low,
some are decent for players whose have trouble aiming,
some are pretty good for players who enjoy fighting more than one opponent at a time,
some are good for players who just want to hold the trigger
and others are better suited for those who want to pop-and-squat.

It's a really, really long list. So the more specific you can be, the better your help will be.

and then there are the mechs for people who just really like setting things on fire. ;)

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

I like burning stuff. Pity mwo doesn't support forest fires.

Gotta play battletech for that.

#18 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

there are 16 trial Mechs, 2 for each weight class for Clan and 2 for IS

not saying you are wrong, but this early ECM can become a crutch which people become overreliant on, and many people find Lights to be hard to play well. try the trial Mechs to see if you like fast Mechs before buying one, although a Light will absolutely teach some good things

the reason I sugest the Hunchie over the SCR is the Hunchie teaches good habits which the Stormcrow does not, the Stormcrow is one of the best Mechs available and most other Mechs will feel underpowered and unresponsive if you learn on that, and even taking into account the costs of upgrades you can buy 2 hunchies for the cost of a SCR, although admitidly with the requirement for 3 Mechs to master a chassis probably being removed in Feburary cost will become less of an issue

I never liked this reasoning. If you follow it further then the best mech for a new player would be a Commando. I'd rather use the most forgiving mech to learn on.

#19 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

View PostMoomtazz, on 09 January 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

I never liked this reasoning. If you follow it further then the best mech for a new player would be a Commando. I'd rather use the most forgiving mech to learn on.

People have their pet ideas that they always put forward as one-size fits all. I for one have never learned any habits, good or otherwise, from piloting my hunchies. Habits come about from practice doing things, not from being hamstrung and having to figure out how to make up for it (especially if you never realize). That's how habits, good and bad, form =p It is habitual. Something you do regularly. The fact that you ought to behave in a way in a mech does not ensure that you WILL.

The reasons for recommending a hunchback are other than those. Things like the ability to be zombied (which could be considered a crutch as well for the bad habit of "mang, why you get shot up so mush"), high torso mounts, mount variety, size, build flexibility, and so on. If it is a learning mech, it means you can try different things and find out for yourself what works and what doesn't through repeated trial and error. Not "learn the subjective right way by being harshly punished until you git it right".

Every player that comes looking for help is going to need to be Taught/told and learn from experience. If they had all the skills and only needed some simple repetition (whether they thought about it or not) to develop skills, they wouldn't need to come looking for help at all.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

Affordability is another reason the HBK is often recommended, as stock armor (reallocated) and engine are perfectly acceptable and very functional. This means all you need is to upgrade to dos and make the weapons the way you want. Dirt cheap.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users