51 replies to this topic

#1 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

They are not fun to play with, and they are not fun to play against.

#2 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

Ok tell us more......

#3 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:49 PM

Posted Image

Either be more constructive or just learn how to deal with them. This thread is going nowhere, either way...

#4 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

My guess is this guy got pasted by LRMs...alot

Then like many before have done made the assumption that it must be so easy to do because obviously someone with his obvious skill wouldn't have been so easily dispatched by LRMs.

So they try them assuming LRMs are are like super easy and learned that LRMs are not actually skilless but require someone to learn a new set of skills.

Or I could be completely wrong...I do that like ...alot.

Edited by Lykaon, 07 January 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#5 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:56 PM

View PostBigScwerl, on 07 January 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

all we can do is discuss how they should change to change that then?
how would you make LRMs fun to use, without making them OverPowered? :)

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

It is a shame they're so bad

They're laughable when shot at you, you just side step and poof, nothing
And when you try to shoot them, the Reds just sidestep out of sight, and Poof, nothing

Something really needs to be done about that

#7 BurningDesire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

Lurms skillz???? BWHAHAHAHA, i switch to lurming when im about to go to bed

#8 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 07 January 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

LRM with a buddy it doubles the fun or does 4 kills, 17 assists and 2080 in damage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MW222, 08 January 2017 - 12:16 AM.

#9 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

The addition of LRM's creates an uninteresting QP game. It is not fun, everybody just hides and pokes, gets LRMd and runs off trying to shake a volley... Alternatively, you make the other team hide and poke. It is not fun.

I've been smoked plenty of times to LRMs, but this was not one of them. just exhaustion. 4th or 5th polar highlands game of the night, and each one is exactly the same. Sure I can give some direction, but pugs are gonna do what pugs are gonna do. So, Invariably, it just turns into a boring stand around and wait for someone to poke for 15 minutes.

With respect to the comment about LRMs and skillz....thanks you made me laugh before going to bed...that's a good one, I'll remember that one tomorrow!

Don't talk to me about my personal skills/equipment/module list, this is not about me, and its not about OP/NERF warz. Its about how one weapon affects a game mode to the point that it ceases to be entertaining, Its static, repetitive and uninteresting.

#10 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

View PostMW222, on 08 January 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

LRM with a buddy it doubles the fun or does 4 kills and 2080 in damage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm sorry, is this the "What possible harm could a 2-man group do in the solo queue" thread?

#11 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

View PostBurningDesire, on 07 January 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

Lurms skillz???? BWHAHAHAHA, i switch to lurming when im about to go to bed

Let me guess you load up some huge mech with a ton of big launchers and more ammo than you could possibly ever need (if you could target correctly) and spam off other player's locks from 700m+ back landing less than a third of your ordnance on target?

Or you use a clan mech?

Try engaging the enemy at sub 400m ranges using your own locks while piloting an XL engine Kintaro. Try and tell me that succeeding using this mech isn't harder than face stomping nearly anything with a KDK-3.

#12 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

View PostMW222, on 08 January 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

LRM with a buddy it doubles the fun or does 4 kills and 2080 in damage.

Please tell me you are using LRMs in an Atlas. Please oh please prove the point I made in a previous thread about LRM haters...

#13 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

View PostLykaon, on 08 January 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

Try engaging the enemy at sub 400m ranges using your own locks while piloting an XL engine Kintaro. Try and tell me that succeeding using this mech isn't harder than face stomping nearly anything with a KDK-3.

You are the exception to the rule. And unfortunately, there only a few people that play LRMs this way. You are not the intended audience.

#14 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 08 January 2017 - 12:14 AM, said:

Please tell me you are using LRMs in an Atlas. Please oh please prove the point I made in a previous thread about LRM haters...

My AS7-D-DC is an LRM 45.

My AS7-S(L) is an LRM 60.

Edited by MW222, 08 January 2017 - 12:30 AM.

#15 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Send you complaints to Russ. No use putting them on the forums. https://twitter.com/russ_bullock

#16 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 08 January 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

The addition of LRM's creates an uninteresting QP game. It is not fun, everybody just hides and pokes, gets LRMd and runs off trying to shake a volley... Alternatively, you make the other team hide and poke. It is not fun.

I've been smoked plenty of times to LRMs, but this was not one of them. just exhaustion. 4th or 5th polar highlands game of the night, and each one is exactly the same. Sure I can give some direction, but pugs are gonna do what pugs are gonna do. So, Invariably, it just turns into a boring stand around and wait for someone to poke for 15 minutes.

With respect to the comment about LRMs and skillz....thanks you made me laugh before going to bed...that's a good one, I'll remember that one tomorrow!

Don't talk to me about my personal skills/equipment/module list, this is not about me, and its not about OP/NERF warz. Its about how one weapon affects a game mode to the point that it ceases to be entertaining, Its static, repetitive and uninteresting.

Most if not all of your concerns are rooted in the players not adapting to the situation.

Polar Highlands facing heavy LRM opposition is exactally when you SHOULD NOT stand back and poke.

Players rooting in cover is because they do not adapt. They want the weapon or circumstances to adapt to them and how they want things to be.

When I see an enemy team has superior LRM indirect fire I make this clear to my team and devise a strategy to over come. On most maps it's a simple matter of close distance in cover and engage at very close range. On quite a few maps there are literally impervious cover from LRMs.

A few maps require some better coordination but basicaly it's the same. Move to close to be effected by LRMs prioritize LRM carriers with your teams fast strikers.

I like LRMs on the board. As a defender I enjoy the challenge of choosing to manuver to shut them down. If I'm in a faster mech I hunt them down.

Attacking with LRMs when used SKILLFULLY allows a team member to heard the enemy into poor possitions or deprive them of reaching superior possition. few people think on these levels of play many stop at KDR,match score or damage dealt.

One of my most interesting mechs to pilot is a KTO-GB with 5x LRM5 TAG BAP and 2 med pulse lasers.

I don't sit in the back I don't spam ineffective volleys off intermittent friendly locks.

I LRM brawl. I am firing on targets just outside min. range lobbing shots over the guy right in front of me maximizing our damage output to frontage.I seek targets to suppress to allow my team to close or I'm using the KTO's superior speed to most other LRM carriers to slip in and out of min range and literally out brawl the enemy LRMs at near point blank ranges.

This is exciting.

Ironicly the the boring LRM users are the ones most easily countered. They are ussually a big slow mech parked somewhere in the back field away from potential rescuers landing less than 50% of their potential damage off flickering friendly locks.

These guys can't fight worth a damn one light mech is all it takes to KO this guy. If these guys are causing you problems you need to adapt...they won't.

#17 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

Imagine ~15 FPS and 300 ping in average on the VERY lowest settings.
This is why I went with LRMs in my first 2 years of MWO.

Edited by Shiroi Tsuki, 08 January 2017 - 12:49 AM.

#18 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 08 January 2017 - 12:19 AM, said:

You are the exception to the rule. And unfortunately, there only a few people that play LRMs this way. You are not the intended audience.

I have been playing MWo since closed beta and have seen every iteration of LRMs and have in the years gone by put LRMs on every sort of chassis imaginable.

I want people to listen to what I am about to say.

MEDIUM mechs is where it's at. of all the mech weight classes it's the medium mechs that are by and large the support mechs of a team.

When you use an assault mech as a highly specialized LRM mech you may have just screwed your team and now need to perform well enough to overcome the equipment deficet.

Why you may ask?

1 LRMs perform better with direct LOS locks. This means the best locks are the ones you get for yourself. This means that if you see them they see you. The enemy will not easily overlook an assault mech but a medium mech may not be priority one as the focus target.
Furthermore mobility is key to gaining position to attain your own locks and to escape retribution once you have dish out enough pain to get noticed. So speed is important.

2 I like using a technique I call close LRM support. This is when you are in the mix with your brawling team mates firing at targets to assist in quick dispatch suppression or soften.Frequently your team has limited frontage (the physical space available) to move through and fire on targets. Since an LRM launcher can fire over a mech in front of you but an autocannon will just deal some friendly fire obviously the LRM close support is best done in the second row. In the second row you are less capable of sharing armor. So it's best to deprive your team of less by not being a heavy or assault mech. Nobody expects a medium mech to face tank nobody plans on your LRM Atlas being in the back field either.

3 Again I stress mobility. LRMs are deciptivley difficult yet simple to be mediocre with. Being mediocre shouldn't be an overall goal of anyone. Mobility is a means of exploiting position. Either using a good spot to fire from,maintaining position with your team or preventing the enemy from reaching a position. You will need to be in the right place at the right time as often as possible. Something you will rarely be doing in a Stalker parked in the back field.

Exploiting the strengths of LRMs while reducing the weaknesses of LRMs is easier to accomplish with mobility.
Many players choose to instead simply use more LRMs either more and bigger launchers or absurd levels of ammo.

Mobility puts you were you are most needed while more and bigger only gets you more opertunity to be mediocre.

Speed allows you to press the limits on range and min. range allows you to attain your own locks and fire on what you want rather than whatever happens to be locked onto by someone else.

You just can't get this performance out of an assault mech.

#19 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 08 January 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

People hide and poke even in matches without any LRMs. Direct fire weapons are so easy to use and so effective in this game that if you step out into the open near the start of a match you get insta-zapped by ERPPC and Gauss. Hide and poke is nothing to do with LRMs.

#20 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

View PostLykaon, on 08 January 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:

I have been playing MWo since closed beta and have seen every iteration of LRMs and have in the years gone by put LRMs on every sort of chassis imaginable.

I want people to listen to what I am about to say.

MEDIUM mechs is where it's at. of all the mech weight classes it's the medium mechs that are by and large the support mechs of a team.

When you use an assault mech as a highly specialized LRM mech you may have just screwed your team and now need to perform well enough to overcome the equipment deficet.

Why you may ask?

1 LRMs perform better with direct LOS locks. This means the best locks are the ones you get for yourself. This means that if you see them they see you. The enemy will not easily overlook an assault mech but a medium mech may not be priority one as the focus target.
Furthermore mobility is key to gaining position to attain your own locks and to escape retribution once you have dish out enough pain to get noticed. So speed is important.

2 I like using a technique I call close LRM support. This is when you are in the mix with your brawling team mates firing at targets to assist in quick dispatch suppression or soften.Frequently your team has limited frontage (the physical space available) to move through and fire on targets. Since an LRM launcher can fire over a mech in front of you but an autocannon will just deal some friendly fire obviously the LRM close support is best done in the second row. In the second row you are less capable of sharing armor. So it's best to deprive your team of less by not being a heavy or assault mech. Nobody expects a medium mech to face tank nobody plans on your LRM Atlas being in the back field either.

3 Again I stress mobility. LRMs are deciptivley difficult yet simple to be mediocre with. Being mediocre shouldn't be an overall goal of anyone. Mobility is a means of exploiting position. Either using a good spot to fire from,maintaining position with your team or preventing the enemy from reaching a position. You will need to be in the right place at the right time as often as possible. Something you will rarely be doing in a Stalker parked in the back field.

Exploiting the strengths of LRMs while reducing the weaknesses of LRMs is easier to accomplish with mobility.
Many players choose to instead simply use more LRMs either more and bigger launchers or absurd levels of ammo.

Mobility puts you were you are most needed while more and bigger only gets you more opertunity to be mediocre.

Speed allows you to press the limits on range and min. range allows you to attain your own locks and fire on what you want rather than whatever happens to be locked onto by someone else.

You just can't get this performance out of an assault mech.

This!

I've also found that the best QP LRM mechs are IS mediums, either a 5LRM5 KTO-GB or a 2ALRM10 HBK-4SP. Both with XL engines, played with an emphasis on rapid positioning and prioritising the other team's assault mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users