51 replies to this topic

#41 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

They are only really a problem in polar highlands, honestly. How overbuffed they are just to get them to perform half decently really shines on that map.

And even then an LRM team will get totally trashed by a team of direct fire that makes a decisive push into the rain. Yes it will ruin a couple of the pushing mechs' matches but that is far better than letting it ruin everyone's match there.

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 08 January 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#42 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostThe Amazing Atomic Spaniel, on 08 January 2017 - 01:14 AM, said:

People hide and poke even in matches without any LRMs. Direct fire weapons are so easy to use and so effective in this game that if you step out into the open near the start of a match you get insta-zapped by ERPPC and Gauss. Hide and poke is nothing to do with LRMs.

This.

Currently I think my favorite uninformed LRM rant is when we get Polar and a variant of the glib "LRM losers voted for it" gets tossed out (usually by those with positioning/awareness problems) and then you see almost no or absolutely no LRMs.

#43 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

My second mech in this game used LRMS (Battlemaster). It worked so I fitted them on almost all my IS mechs. Nowadays I just can't do anything with them. I am not sure if the games changed or just I don't have the patience to use them anymore.

I used to love using them all the time but now I just can't get decent lrm maps when I launch and/or spotters.

On the flip side to this, any time I fit narc, 100% of the time no one on my team has lrms :|

#44 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Kintaro GB is my fav lrm boat. I run mine almost just as Lykaon described. I take 3 med pulse lasers instead of the tag though. GB has 308 meter range with those pulse lasers, allowing you to have a 600 meter max distance with them. 200-300 meters away from target can be devastating, especially with the lrm5 spam. 2,261 games with it, 2.5 million xp. Lykaon knows what he is talking about.

#45 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

There is no escape from da Lords of the Lurm!
Posted Image

#46 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostBigScwerl, on 08 January 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

2. Oh I grasp the concepts of how to smoke lrm dweebs hiding in the back, but I can't do it alone. If nobody wants to listen and organize, it turns into boring pokewars.....and how often do people want to listen, organize or yield to some leadership in QP?.... Yeah, pretty infrequently. Thus, my gripe was brought to this forum.

What mech(s) do you play?

You can do it alone you just havn't adapted your mech choices to allow for it.

A lone Arctic Cheetah all by it's onezies can and does take down LRM boats.

Shadowcats are another choice for lurm hunter.

A Hellbringer with ECm and long range weapons can also triangulate an enemy Lurmer and keep them suppressed by always poking up on the flank outside TAG range (if possible) and forcing the LRM carrier to always reposition.

if you like the added difficulty of not using the ECM crutch go for a Viper or Jenner IIc.

As for QP solo queue and using communication, I have had my direction very well received. More often than not your team is receptive to direction if you are calm collected and respectful. No one likes the feeling of being pinned in cover by enemy LRMs and most will follow a plan to deal with it.

You have a gripe,I get that and you may have only wanted to vent.

But there are solutions if players adapt to the situation and not fall back on the easy path of wanting the situation to adapt to them.

The bottom line is LRMs are what they are the game plays as it plays.We can theory craft and imagine a different game but ultimatley we all have to play the game we have and not the game we wish we had.

#47 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

A lot of it comes down to map design as well. LRMs worked better in previous MW games because there was less cover and larger areas of engagement, like Polar. On Polar on this game, LRMs are a legitimate and grave threat. Honestly we need another map like Polar and Alpine, even though Perfect Pinpoint Powerplayers may whine over the prospect of battles taking place on battlefields and not your average sized FPS map in a MW game.

#48 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 08 January 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

They are only really a problem in polar highlands, honestly. How overbuffed they are just to get them to perform half decently really shines on that map.

And even then an LRM team will get totally trashed by a team of direct fire that makes a decisive push into the rain. Yes it will ruin a couple of the pushing mechs' matches but that is far better than letting it ruin everyone's match there.

I am curious as to why you claim "overbuffed" when you then say that on an ideal map for employing LRMs a direct fire team pushing will will trash the LRMs? if they were over buffed wouldn't the pushing team forsaking cover and presenting multiple targets only result in the over buffed weapon trashing them?

I would also love to know what is over buffed on LRMs?

is it the 180m minimum range?

Or the 160mps projectile speed?

Maybe it's the ECM or Radar Derp or AMS

Possibly it's the inability to concentrate damage that has over buffed LRMs

Or did you mean the missile launch warnings everyone gets when LRMs are fired at them?

It must be the maps. Like Crimson Straight that ALWAYS has the battle in a tunnel or under that huge platform negating LRMs.
Or HPG that ALWAYS has the central fighting located on the hill that literally has an LRM proof roof or maybe just go under the hill for more LRM immunity.
Mining Collective,River City,Canyon Network,Frozen City and Veridian Bog all have very tall vertical cover to negate LRMs. Grim Plexis also literally has 100% LRM immunity available to it with the large platforms that you can stand under.

There are three maps where LRMs are inflated to near normal levels of performance.

Alpine Peaks
Polar Highlands
Caustic Valley

And as you pointed out all it takes is a concerted push to trash the LRM heavy team dispite being on an ideal map and being "overbuffed" .

#49 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

If everyone, or even 2-4 people on your team always had the ideal build to counter lrm carriers, then they would not be as effective. You cannot know what map you're going to get, you can only vote for what your build is suited for. If your team is under prepared.... you know what happens.

#50 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

I don't like playing lerms
Unless there is narc

I don't mind playing against lerms
Unless there is narc

Lerms by them selves are pretty rubbish (On Polar they are ok, and yes deadly with narc)

But thats like one map outta how many

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 08 January 2017 - 04:26 PM.

#51 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

View PostNaelbis, on 08 January 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

You are a horrible person sir.

You'll hate this https://sli.mg/a/WdDEWN

#52 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 08 January 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

I begg to differ when they are played in concert with other complomentarry builds this happens. Tho COMMUNICATION is a key facter.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users