Posted Image

#22 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 07 January 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

They are not fun to play with, and they are not fun to play against.

1.) It's "LRMs"
2.) Both are not true. It's a tactical weapon. Maybe you're just not able to grasp how they work and can be countered.

Edited by Paigan, 08 January 2017 - 01:53 AM.

#23 BurningDesire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:28 AM

View PostLykaon, on 08 January 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

Let me guess you load up some huge mech with a ton of big launchers and more ammo than you could possibly ever need (if you could target correctly) and spam off other player's locks from 700m+ back landing less than a third of your ordnance on target?

Or you use a clan mech?

Try engaging the enemy at sub 400m ranges using your own locks while piloting an XL engine Kintaro. Try and tell me that succeeding using this mech isn't harder than face stomping nearly anything with a KDK-3.

i use an adder i hate seeing tonnage wasted on lurm boats maybe i should use an atlas seems to be flavour of the month

yes its a clan mech but i dont like IS mechs excluding a few

Kintaro sucks and you know but if you want to lurm boat in it more power too you. FYI i had to stop using KDK-3 rolling my face back and forth across the keyboard was getting too much drool on it and its was getting to expensive to replace them :P

#24 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:49 AM

View PostBurningDesire, on 08 January 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

i use an adder i hate seeing tonnage wasted on lurm boats maybe i should use an atlas seems to be flavour of the month

yes its a clan mech but i dont like IS mechs excluding a few

Kintaro sucks and you know but if you want to lurm boat in it more power too you. FYI i had to stop using KDK-3 rolling my face back and forth across the keyboard was getting too much drool on it and its was getting to expensive to replace them Posted Image

I only use a KTO-GB as an LRM platform for I.S. It is far from sucking.

I can with regularity pull down top three damage on my team and frequently top damage and kills. It's exceptionally good on favorable maps like Polar or alpine and still top three performance on a team on a difficult map like Crimson Straight or HPG.

Is there a better option for a medium Inner Sphere mech?

KTO-GB has...

-15% missile heat -15% missile cooldown +10% missile velocity
+20% medium pulse range Energy range +10% Energy heat gen -10%

Five missile hardpoints three energy hardpoints

Maybe a hunchback 4J but it lacks the hardpoints to boat LRM5s. To match the tighter groupings of LRM5s you would need to use an artemis LRM10 in a pair and this is 5 fewer missiles per volley for 2 tons more weight.

The KTO is the right choice here probably best available choice. I think your clan mechs have spoiled you and good looks like suck because clan mechs are good even when they suck Posted Image

Edited by Lykaon, 08 January 2017 - 02:49 AM.

#25 BurningDesire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:03 AM

im not a big Lurm lord, im usually running around in a cicada or viper and lurms are not the problem polar Lurmland is. if some one has a narc its a death sentence.

i notice everyone here keeps saying Lurm heavy teams are easy to roll, maybe in group cue but is solo you end up with 4 or more lurmers that spread out alittle in Lurmlands a good push will still fail

#26 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

aggressive lrm boat > typical red line camping lrm boat

one will do 400-1000 damage other will struggle to do 200. you don't want the 2nd kind, sadly vast majority of lrm boat players are the redline camping type.

is mad dawgy the best lrm boat??

#27 Sgt Minuteman

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:11 AM

I use a Scat B w JJs ECM 2MLAS 2LRM 15's and routinely pull 600+Dmg without much effort in close support. Sometimes I will wander off from group and use ECM/cover to LRM the enemy from behind as a diversion escpecially on Polar. But often I will stick with the Assaults and help them deal with lights....

I always put a rack LRM20 on my Atlai.... to use as suppression for snipers.

LRM is what keeps this from becoming Hawken.

#28 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:21 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 07 January 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

They are not fun to play with, and they are not fun to play against.

You are doin' it wrong... in both cases.

#29 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:21 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 08 January 2017 - 12:19 AM, said:

You are the exception to the rule. And unfortunately, there only a few people that play LRMs this way. You are not the intended audience.

LRMs are not a long range firesupport weapon IMHO. The way you should be playing them is from the back of the blob to put damage out while jostling for position. Very good for squishier missile based 'Mechs like the Mad Dog.

Though you're probalby better putting SRMs\Streaks on and just protecting your fatties from lights\mediums instead. Kanajashi did a vid on this I think.

Yes he did: "LRMs are a force multiplier" ... "You may think ... you can be effective even out at extreme ranges when actually LRMs are most effective at mid range." "As the front lines move, re-position to keep at least 300 meters away."

#30 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 07 January 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

all we can do is discuss how they should change to change that then?
how would you make LRMs fun to use, without making them OverPowered? Posted Image

A very little bit faster with a bit more heat to balance a velocity increase. I don't like getting hit by LRM's and rarely use them, but every time I have used them it seems like they are ...flying in slow motion.

Or...increase velocity substantially, and add enough additional heat to compensate.

Leave reload times as they are.

#31 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:30 AM

View PostThe Amazing Atomic Spaniel, on 08 January 2017 - 01:26 AM, said:

This!

I've also found that the best QP LRM mechs are IS mediums, either a 5LRM5 KTO-GB or a 2ALRM10 HBK-4SP. Both with XL engines, played with an emphasis on rapid positioning and prioritising the other team's assault mechs.

There's also the aspect that the assault lurm boat doesn't really need all the armour. Having that guy carry 15-20 tons of your team's weight in armour, and then hiding behind a rock half the map away -- this strikes me as a suboptimal use of resources.

Leave that job to the XL-engined medium who can't take much of a hit anyway. And who has the speed to fire the lurms from most optimal angles.

(All that said, if they ever release the Longbow, I WILL buy it and I WILL put all the lurms in it. Posted Image)

#32 Naelbis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostMW222, on 08 January 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

My AS7-D-DC is an LRM 45.

My AS7-S(L) is an LRM 60.

You are a horrible person sir.

#33 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

lrm 40 is always fun to fire and watch some one go "aRRRGHHH! The Hail Storm!" lrm 40 on my timber s chain firing lrm 10 x 4 is fun. TBR-Slrmy 10s

#34 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

They ARE FUN to play with but not to play against Posted Image

#35 Korbos

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

I'd have to say LRMs are fun to play with and are great to have in this game. I don't mind playing against them at all. Yeah it sucks if you get caught in the open by them but that is the players fault, that doesn't make LRMs the problem. People just need to use cover when moving and not just "hide".

Edited by Korbos, 08 January 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 07 January 2017 - 11:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

Either be more constructive or just learn how to deal with them. This thread is going nowhere, either way...

actually, your post hopefully is prophetic...let's hope it goes to "K" town

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostJudauAshta, on 08 January 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

aggressive lrm boat > typical red line camping lrm boat

one will do 400-1000 damage other will struggle to do 200. you don't want the 2nd kind, sadly vast majority of lrm boat players are the redline camping type.

is mad dawgy the best lrm boat??

dunno about best, but it's my favorite. Fast enough to stay in the sweet spot, or make tactical reinforcements, and can pack enough LoS armament to take a bite out of things, too. 6xLRM5/4xERML is pretty much my favorite way to LRM. Used to pack a TAG, but tbh, haven-t noticed any real change without it, and the extra heatsink does help more, if you like to use your lasers a lot, too.

#38 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostPaigan, on 08 January 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

1.) It's "LRMs"
2.) Both are not true. It's a tactical weapon. Maybe you're just not able to grasp how they work and can be countered.

1. It doesn't matter how it is spelled, its the same TLA. Why do you care about this?
2. Oh I grasp the concepts of how to smoke lrm dweebs hiding in the back, but I can't do it alone. If nobody wants to listen and organize, it turns into boring pokewars.....and how often do people want to listen, organize or yield to some leadership in QP?.... Yeah, pretty infrequently. Thus, my gripe was brought to this forum.

View PostNaelbis, on 08 January 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

You are a horrible person sir.

Oh. Emmm. Geee. This.

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 08 January 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

1. It doesn't matter how it is spelled, its the same TLA. Why do you care about this?
2. Oh I grasp the concepts of how to smoke lrm dweebs hiding in the back, but I can't do it alone. If nobody wants to listen and organize, it turns into boring pokewars.....and how often do people want to listen, organize or yield to some leadership in QP?.... Yeah, pretty infrequently. Thus, my gripe was brought to this forum.

Oh. Emmm. Geee. This.

and such a deep, explanatory post it is.

#40 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

I actually kind of like LRMS. They add flavor and different tactics to QP. Be thankful for them, because quite frankly, when they are forbidden in elitist modes like FP where all you see are blue lasers and PPCS, you start to realize (or at least I do) how much they bring to shake the monotony.

I've never been a big fan of LRM "boats", nor the spread in damage they being in this game, but they are useful in keeping people pinned down. You can break a fireline with them, and you can seriously off balance your foes who are trying to bum rush your team if you use them right.

All-in-all, LRMS are cool. And yeah, I get it sucks when your whole team has them and they get pummeled by close range brawlers. But they do have a place in certain contexts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users