Best Light Killer

47 replies to this topic

#21 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostNatred, on 11 January 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

Honestly the best anti light Mechs are light Mechs. The Adder(puma) and Jenner iic have enough fire power to deal with most lights.

This isn't exactly true. Light mechs can do very significant damage to other light mechs, yes, but it's not really a gain for your team if you render one of your own lights almost incapable of fighting just to destroy one of the enemy lights. A light wolfpack is good against other lights, but wolfpack vs wolfpack, you end up with the same result of no net gain.

Adders don't have particularly good mobility, as do Kit Foxes; these should be rightfully considered midget mediums rather than true lights. SRM4x6 Jenner IICs are actually good against literally anything that gets close, so yes, I'll agree here.

#22 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

My personal favorite light hunter is the Mad Dog A. 6 S-SRMs run hot, but it will kill or severely injure any light mech on the field. In addition, it can take a decent amount of ammo, and can run back up weapons, unlike the Storm Crow.

#23 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

I was leaning towards the Streak Crow because it a little faster than my Griffins but the Mad Dog does still hold allot of nostalgia for me as a MW2 vet.

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 11 January 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Adders don't have particularly good mobility, as do Kit Foxes; these should be rightfully considered midget mediums rather than true lights. SRM4x6 Jenner IICs are actually good against literally anything that gets close, so yes, I'll agree here.

There is a ongoing joke for the Table Top that the Viper is the best Clan Light mech in TRO: 3050
(The Kit Fox and Adders true strength is firepower while the Ice Ferret and Viper are the ones with the engine)

Leaves me wondering if we will see the Pouncer or Phantom this year but that's a discussion for another topic.

#24 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostLeone, on 10 January 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

I present to you, the IS response to the Streak Crow.

ARC-5W

Tremble Ye Mist Lynxes!

~Leone.

You can squeeze 3.5t and 5 more slots out of that if you take endo and put the heatsinks in the engine

#25 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 12 January 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

You can squeeze 3.5t and 5 more slots out of that if you take endo and put the heatsinks in the engine

Drop the command console, AMS and NARC, upgrade to endo and ferro, drop 2 points of armor per leg and can then swap the 340XL for a 340 standard with 1.5 tons and 3 slots remaining (could be used for a 9th Streak SRM2).

Edited by Zergling, 13 January 2017 - 04:14 AM.

#26 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

I'll admit, this looks like a very good excuse to get a Archer ARC-W

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...38978b0d0a8b1de

#27 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

AC/20 + 2 ML Enforcer with an XL 325.

Good leg armor buffs, so you can't just be cheaped out when they want to engage you so easily.

#28 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

I do very well in a PHX-2 for light killing. Either go with a 300XL or 310XL and have the speed to close distance and surprise many lights. It is not only effective against lights but it can play the light role if needed. The ECM, current structure/armor buffs, maneuverability and decent firepower can really mess up a light.

#29 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

8 SSRM4 huntsman gets a bit hot, 5 SSRM6+bap summoner is quite a heavy pest. 4 SSRM6+tag adder if your cheap. 6 ssrm6 vulture+3 small pulse and a tag in each arm (they fall off easy).
4 SRM6A griffin or shadowhawk or wolverine with XL. dual AC2 XL race-centurion.

or if you like it the hard way - commando or locust :D

Edited by Lolo van Trollinger, 16 January 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#30 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

Generally hop into my X5 with 2lrm5 and 4 med lasers when i want to hunt lights.. lrm on a mobile boat as the x5 is rather great at killing lights, cant really hide behind a rock from me. if ecm i allways have lasers and can take a few hits.

Edited by Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran, 17 January 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#31 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:32 AM

Lrm x5 is kinda meh, srm's + spl's + big engine makes a real (light) killer.

Edited by B3R3ND, 17 January 2017 - 06:35 AM.

#32 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

I feel srm is kinda **** against lights, also its kinda safe build, be anying with lrm and cash in with the lasers later.

All close range on cicada only works on the ecm one, its not tanky enough and to big profile to get close to long

Edited by Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran, 17 January 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#33 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 11 January 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

This isn't exactly true. Light mechs can do very significant damage to other light mechs, yes, but it's not really a gain for your team if you render one of your own lights almost incapable of fighting just to destroy one of the enemy lights. A light wolfpack is good against other lights, but wolfpack vs wolfpack, you end up with the same result of no net gain.

He is right.. when im running a bane, And im on a assassination mission I mainly avoid other lights because i dont want to be delt the damage that another light can deal,

#34 Puppy Monkey Baby

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 10 January 2017 - 12:03 AM, said:

Jenner IIC with streaks and a BAP should work too.

I put an XL engine in mine and 5 Streak SRM 4s with a BAP. It devastates.

#35 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

So far my rendition of a Crab has been working well with Light 'Mech killing. Nice engine can keep on it's heels, One L. Pulse laser in each arm and a M. Pulse in the center torso. Aim for the legs and smoof!

#36 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

I have had remarkable luck using a Legend Killer with twin LBX-10 and four small lasers, and my Splattoner with Artemis SRM-30 is absolutely devastating to a squeekee little fluffnubber.

#37 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostLolo van Trollinger, on 16 January 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

8 SSRM4 huntsman gets a bit hot, 5 SSRM6+bap summoner is quite a heavy pest. 4 SSRM6+tag adder if your cheap. 6 ssrm6 vulture+3 small pulse and a tag in each arm (they fall off easy).
4 SRM6A griffin or shadowhawk or wolverine with XL. dual AC2 XL race-centurion.

or if you like it the hard way - commando or locust Posted Image

The Huntsman and Summoner are even S.E.X.E.r with real SRMs

#38 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

"I typically don't go light hunting...
But when I do, I drive this WHK-A...
Use Cool Shots my friends... "

read it in the voice of: the most interesting man.

Edited by Neput Z34, 02 March 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#39 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Cicada without a doubt 40 tons little better armor but still can go like bat out of El.

I specifically hunted lights with my cicada's. Loved getting into a brawl and hitting that point where light realized oh crap I should not have done this, and they try to get away.

#40 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

In Summery:
Lights don't like Shotguns... or SSRMs... or Pulse lasers... or good aim.

That said, my favorite Lightkiller is a heavy that excels in many aspects for a match: the Linebacker...

I can't stand this machine in the lore or TT... go figure, PGI caused me to like a 'Mech!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users