47 replies to this topic

#41 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

I have a friend who runs what is effectively a ssrm-36 on a maddog. Tends to break any light it gets a lock on.

#42 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

You can get a Crow with 5 SSRM6s and enough speed to keep pace with a light for a volley or two. Makes all the difference in the world.

#43 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:39 AM

This task is exatly why I have my Shadowcat B armed with both ERPPCs in the arms and not the Torso.
MASC does the trick regarding keeping up and turning even faster than the damn lights.
And if you know how to aim... most lights can't handle a Dual-ERPPC into their back or leg too well.

Little Add on: those handy ERPPCs also shut down their ECM for some valuable seconds.

#44 Stelio Kontos

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Personally, I'm partial to a shadow cat with Streak SRMs and an ECM. Most lights that are actually dangerous will be equipped with lots of short range lasers so will try to close with you. With this loadout you don't need to worry about trying to pick a shot: a few barrages of the SRMs will typically start stripping off components. The ECM is necessary because disrupt mode will allow you to lock on regardless of whether they have one.

I will need to try the linebacker as well. It looks great for the role.

I think one thing people forget is that you do NOT need to match the light's speed. You just need to be able to keep them in range long enough to get with a couple of volleys.

Edited by Lamp erouge, 23 March 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#45 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

I hate the concept of a 'light killer.'

You should always be aiming to punch over your weight class, not under. I cannot understand wasting tonnage in a drop to chase after the squirrels.

The best defense against lights will always be not wandering off by yourself.

#46 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

streak crow, streak madog, and even sometimes the shadowcat

#47 Orkimedes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:19 AM

The most effective light killer is good aim and team cohesion. It only takes one well placed shot of the all too common sniper/poptart builds to kill you - but it's relatively easy to throw off their aim so it's more of a pushing your luck/judgement on when to disengage thing. Harassing and annoying and/or outright destroying those kind of mechs (ideally from behind, of course) is one of the main purposes of lights since those mechs are most dangerous at long range and most likely to fall behind.
In other words, I see a cookie-cutter Gauss/PPC or LPL build, i'm not worried, unless it has a lot of freinds or is on a very mobile chassis. An LBX20 or quad SRM6 etc, on the other hand, I usually won't even try to engage solo. Disengaging is just too dangerous - even a barely aimed snap shot from a bad player at intermediate range could easily cripple or outright kill you.
EDIT: dual LBX10 and srmboating is popular on brawlers, so it's not like those weapons will unnecessarily diminish your ability to deal with non-light mechs like streaks+BAP might.

Edited by Orkimedes, 29 March 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#48 Vadafallon

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

Huntman with 8 streak 6's, or something to that tune. Dead little lights..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users