Tower Build

18 replies to this topic

#1 Will84

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

hey there who ever reads this, so I had asked a friend of mine to build me a tower computer but now he moved away for a new job, so now im wondering if this is something I can do myself if I get the right parts or should I get someone else to do it?

i was wondering if anyone on here builds their own and if i do it myself could someone let me know what parts i would need? i was trying to play mwo with a out dated laptop but game play would get slow and choppy as soon as the guns started firing.

im looking to have a tower built for the main purpose of only playing this game. and i live in Canada so if im ordering parts Canadian sites or prices are better suited but if i need to buy from American sites i have no problem with that. i just miss playing this game and want to get something done asap.

#2 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

I imagine most people who post in this forum build their own rigs, so you'll probably get a lot of feedback here. I would absolutely recommend doing it yourself, unless there's a financial reason to go with a pre-built machine. It's an excellent learning experience, you can tailor the build to suit your needs, and it's a lot of fun.

First off, what is your total budget? I'm not sure what the taxes are like in Canada, but make sure to factor those in as they can surprise you at checkout.

#3 Will84

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

thanks for the reply, i would have a decent budget for this probably around the $1000-$1200 area. i just need a fast paced and smooth game play, with my laptop being choppy my kill/death ratio isn't looking to good lol as soon as i can get a better computer ill be able to change that around pretty fast. :)

#4 weywi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

YouTube help by How to put the parts together

#5 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

Building a PC is simple as long as the parts are compatible (which at this stage in the game, as long as you match the CPU+motherboard, the rest is pretty generic and compatible with most anything else). Youtube will have a million examples of how to build your own gaming PC.

What's your budget? PCPartPicker will do things in Canadian, for example see below. Once we have a budget number, we can build you a list that is the best for the money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($306.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($146.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.85 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($334.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1223.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-10 22:28 EST-0500

#6 Will84

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

thanks for all the info ill be checking into all of that, and I have heard liquid cooling is bad and good so im not sure if that's the way I wanna go, is it faster to replace fans then it is that and if the liquid cooling breaks im guessing that would be the end of the whole tower rather then just replacing some fans? I found a case that come with 7 fans I think, would that be just as good as liquid cooling?

#7 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostWill84, on 11 January 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

thanks for all the info ill be checking into all of that, and I have heard liquid cooling is bad and good so im not sure if that's the way I wanna go, is it faster to replace fans then it is that and if the liquid cooling breaks im guessing that would be the end of the whole tower rather then just replacing some fans? I found a case that come with 7 fans I think, would that be just as good as liquid cooling?

Eh, you're working on pretty old info there. AIOs are self-contained and having one of them spring a leak is pretty rare. I mean, they're pre-filled so a problem with one would probably be spotted before it even shipped.

Case fans do not themselves keep a CPU cool, either, so some sort of CPU heatsink is required. A simple AIO will more than do the job, but if you absolutely want to hold onto near decade-old worries about them, regular copper heatpipe+fin setups still exist (I'd recommend a Noctua one if you go that route).

#8 Will84

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, iv never been the biggest type of computer guy, always played them just never knew the info inside of them, but i'm up for anything that's going to work and going to last.

#9 Northbear

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

good for you on thinking about building your own comp.
i did the same thing a nuber of years ago to play mwo as well.
like what was said above look for vids on u-tube. you will find lots of info on there,

#10 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

A question would be whether you need a Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse. I know your post says that you need a Tower, but given that you currently use a Lappie, you may not have those lying around.

Do you feel comfortable overclocking? If not you could save some money by going with a non K CPU and H170/270 Mobo. You would also save heatsink cost. (These days Overclocking is reasonably safe and easy, though).

Also, don't forget to include HST and any environmental fees that may be levied. (IIRC, in ON, .05cents on a mouse, $25 on a monitor, might be a couple of others here and there.)

Edited by darqsyde, 11 January 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

I would still go with K version/etc. You may not feel comfortable OC now but there is always later, or having a knowledgeable friend assist.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 January 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

I would still go with K version/etc. You may not feel comfortable OC now but there is always later, or having a knowledgeable friend assist.

Agreed. At least some of the K-series chips have higher turbo clocks than their non-K counterparts, for instance the i7 7700 is 4.2GhZ stock while the i7 7700K is 4.5GhZ stock. I don't know if that actually is the case with all K-series chips, but it is something to think about, especially since an i7 7700K hits that magic 4.5GhZ that makes MWO pretty smooth without any manual overclocking needed.

#13 Will84

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:29 AM

thank you everyone for your input, it's all great Posted Image

as for other stuff, I bought a brand new 22 LG IPS LED Monitor, and a 400W THX sound system on Boxing day, and for smaller things ill need like the gaming mouse and keyboard and I'm thinking also a headset I can find that stuff all on Amazon. so I think other then all the small stuff the only thing I need is just the tower and to be honest I have no idea what stuff like " overclocking" is or what " K-series " stuff are.

I also got thinking that since im finished my voice over courses that ill use the tower as a stationary recording studio and my mwo computer, then get may laptop cleaned out and use it for my mobile recording studio. But im thinking with all this info ill have enough power for both things on the tower and have mwo run smooth.

Edited by Will84, 12 January 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#14 Kobzarrr

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:24 AM

i think laptop is better choise , cause give you more mobility

so something like http://shop.lenovo.c...series/y910-17/ or cheaper but with Thunderbolt and
http://www.razerzone...tore/razer-core for more graphic "power"

any monitor or TV on your choise you can connect to HDMI

or something like this

Edited by Kobzarrr, 12 January 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#15 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostKobzarrr, on 12 January 2017 - 03:24 AM, said:

i think laptop is better choise , cause give you more mobility

so something like http://shop.lenovo.c...series/y910-17/ or cheaper but with Thunderbolt and
http://www.razerzone...tore/razer-core for more graphic "power"

The Core alone eats up half his budget...so I really wouldn't recommend it.

#16 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Postdarqsyde, on 12 January 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

The Core alone eats up half his budget...so I really wouldn't recommend it.

^this

Plus the NUC is a very tiny little box with a mobile CPU. Thermal throttling while gaming hurts (especially in a CPU-hungry game like MWO).

#17 Will84

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

I will be sticking with the tower option, I don't need another laptop since its going to be converted into a recording studio computer for my voice overing and podcasting.

#18 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostWill84, on 10 January 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

hey there who ever reads this, so I had asked a friend of mine to build me a tower computer but now he moved away for a new job, so now im wondering if this is something I can do myself if I get the right parts or should I get someone else to do it?

i was wondering if anyone on here builds their own and if i do it myself could someone let me know what parts i would need? i was trying to play mwo with a out dated laptop but game play would get slow and choppy as soon as the guns started firing.

im looking to have a tower built for the main purpose of only playing this game. and i live in Canada so if im ordering parts Canadian sites or prices are better suited but if i need to buy from American sites i have no problem with that. i just miss playing this game and want to get something done asap.

not to worry the comminity here will be here to help.

If there is other issues with your build

you can find me in LinusTechTip forums, the community is based around the world and a number of users here are from Canada and the US so sourcing parts and getting speedy help is what we do

View PostxWiredx, on 10 January 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

Building a PC is simple as long as the parts are compatible (which at this stage in the game, as long as you match the CPU+motherboard, the rest is pretty generic and compatible with most anything else). Youtube will have a million examples of how to build your own gaming PC.

What's your budget? PCPartPicker will do things in Canadian, for example see below. Once we have a budget number, we can build you a list that is the best for the money.

good solid build cant fault it.

View PostWill84, on 11 January 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

gone are the days where you have to make you own watercooling loop and messing things up like leaks and killing components.

The market out there are full of pre filled ready to use out of the box All in One liquid coolers which includes the block/pump and radiator. You just need to follow the instructions on how to install it.

But if you still feel not comfortable with liquid coolers, you still can stick to air coolers

View PostWill84, on 12 January 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

I will be sticking with the tower option, I don't need another laptop since its going to be converted into a recording studio computer for my voice overing and podcasting.

ohh you doing a Youtube channel?

ok here is my take on the builds based on your budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X Dual Fan 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card ($334.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($80.74 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1225.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-12 20:13 EST-0500

if you are not particular on the inside looks of the PC

this PC build should be an solid all rounder as well

While the Skylake and Kabylack CPU are pretty much the same in terms of IPC clock for clock. The Kabylake has a higher base clock and with a little push on the OC. Will yield more overclocks. The newer Z270 boards have slightly more features as compared to the Z170 boards which should be plenty even with this board.

The old myth that you need an expensive board for gaming is long gone.

as long you get a Z or X board with a K unlocked CPU, you can push the CPU max OC which is still on the luck of the draw aka silicon lottery.

16GB is the sweet spot for both gaming and content creation games are getting more RAM hungry like BF1 and WatchDogs 2and it may be a growing trend with upcoming games for 2017

SSD is a must for mid to high budget PCs as it speeds up booting and loading of applications.

The Crucial MX300 should be more than enough for the typical user unless you want more performance which you should opt for the Samsung SSDs

the RX480 and GTX1060 are pretty much neck and neck in DX11 games and AMD drivers have closed the gap in terms of performance behind the GTX1060 and i say the drivers will improve performance. DX12 and Vulken is where the RX480 shines and pulls away from the GTX1060

case is a subjective to your taste but the CoolerMaster case is roomy and allows ppl with big hands to work inside

the PSU is a 650 Watts unit which is plenty for the whole system and another RX480

#19 Will84

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

thanks for all the input as soon as i get some time off work i will be checking into all this stuff and try and order parts when i can :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users