59 replies to this topic

#21 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

View PostDr Genocide, on 17 January 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Still missing decent IS pop tarts though.

That already came --- when the Highlander first hit the game --- and promptly nerfed later, and forever.

#22 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 17 January 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

For me it's gotta be a recent one; running with pariah and a few other around here in huntsman hero ripping guys in scouting a new one, and then he tells me not to poo-poo the Huntsman in his face ever again because we were debating it and the hbk IIC.... lol.

the other was scouting again, making fun of the hbk IICs arms.... and I remember this:

" I'd run my hbk IIC if it's arms didn't look like it was trying to flap them to fly."

XD

And then someone went and got a Pakhet. :3

Yeah, the game is fun with friends. My issue with MWO has consistently been the mentality of a lot of the players and not the game itself, but when you drop with people you can rely on and have fun with, the game becomes 1,000,000 times better.

#23 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 17 January 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Ya? What game is better? The 90's clone competition isn't any better and any other next gen games like Star Citizen are vapour ware.

Should this game be maybe the best at this point with the amount of gameplay and features it has? No it shouldn't, but thanks to the trash competition it is, or close to it. There is a lesson here.

Trollalert Posted Image Star Conflict (Open World ,with PvE Missions,) FW ,PvP ,PvE ,Coop----...War Thunder(Campaign, Historical Missions, Realistic damage System with Component Killcam ,Pve Elements ,PvP interesting gamemodes ...Planetsides ...Battlefield...MWLL ...and the good old mW4 Mercs/mektek

MWO has a less Population and terribleTier/Matchmaking system with this less Population

and the Stability of the Game ...Hitreg ,HSR ,no game with 1-2 Disconnects ..nothing seeing like this in other games..and Content ??? other Games bring in a Year more Maps and Content as PGI in 5 Years

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 17 January 2017 - 09:08 PM.

#24 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 17 January 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

Hey there fellow Mechwarriors!

After a 3 year break, I started playing again.

I have to say, MWO is a much better game than it was 3 years ago.

- It’s possible to play the game without investing anything. (No PAY-TO-WIN) I spent hundreds of $ on the game, but I hate pay-to-win with flaming passion.

- It seems rather balanced to me. I might not be the smartest/best player out there, but I never have the feeling that something is blatantly overpowered which makes the game more fun to play.

- Faction Warfare is really, really fun to play and well implemented. For such a small studio, the quality of the product is very high and for so low player numbers you can find matches quite fast.

- The customer services is excellent, fast reaction and very polite and friendly, even to idiots like me.

So, I just want to say:

Thank you PGI for this nice Battletech game!

Posted Image

Wait..

Seriously?

Somebody that completely LIKES the game and PGI?

I...

Don't know what to say here..

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#25 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:57 AM

So, I just want to say:

Posted Image

I'm still having fun too!

:)

#26 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:08 AM

We like to call it "Game loosely based on the Battletech universe" to not give any false impressions Posted Image

Edited by RedDragon, 18 January 2017 - 04:08 AM.

#27 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

The OP is currently CSJ, FP, fair... Clan XL.. okay, that is enough... Posted Image

And welcome back!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 January 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#28 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:43 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 17 January 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Ya? What game is better? The 90's clone competition isn't any better and any other next gen games like Star Citizen are vapour ware.

Should this game be maybe the best at this point with the amount of gameplay and features it has? No it shouldn't, but thanks to the trash competition it is, or close to it. There is a lesson here.

You said "best online game", which includes more games than just shooters. And even if you just limit the competition to shooters, you have games which are head and shoulders above this trainwreck, especially given how old this game is.

- ARMA 3
- Battlefield 1
- CS: Go
- Overwatch
- Quake Live
- Rainbow Six: Siege
- Team Fortress 2
- Titanfall 2

Just off the top of my head, and by no means complete. And if you include non-shooter games and coop games, the list gets near triple digits. So much for "best online game". Your white-knighting needs a reality check.

#29 SWANN

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

View PostPlastic Guru, on 17 January 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

And.....cue the Bitter Vets (or as I know them "Auxiliary Salt Saying Homogeneous Osmotic Legal Enforcement Service) who will refute everything you just said and will smite you with their intelligence, beauty, and righteousness....or so they keep saying.

Love MWO...but I've only been playing since the summer. Found out I really suck at this game but have a ball anyway. I love my Light mechs!!

I fully agree with you by the way...

Cheers

If only they were as smart as you Posted Image

#30 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Glad to hear you are so happy with it.

I wonder what this game would have been like if there were nothing but cheerleaders with pom-poms blowing smoke up RBs nether regions and no one criticizing PGI or holding their feet to the fire at times.

Hmmmmmmm.

The point being, not all criticism from "bittervets" is a bad thing.

#31 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 17 January 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

Trollalert Posted Image Star Conflict (Open World ,with PvE Missions,) FW ,PvP ,PvE ,Coop----...War Thunder(Campaign, Historical Missions, Realistic damage System with Component Killcam ,Pve Elements ,PvP interesting gamemodes ...Planetsides ...Battlefield...MWLL ...and the good old mW4 Mercs/mektek

MWO has a less Population and terribleTier/Matchmaking system with this less Population

and the Stability of the Game ...Hitreg ,HSR ,no game with 1-2 Disconnects ..nothing seeing like this in other games..and Content ??? other Games bring in a Year more Maps and Content as PGI in 5 Years

View PostAcehilator, on 18 January 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

You said "best online game", which includes more games than just shooters. And even if you just limit the competition to shooters, you have games which are head and shoulders above this trainwreck, especially given how old this game is.

- ARMA 3
- Battlefield 1
- CS: Go
- Overwatch
- Quake Live
- Rainbow Six: Siege
- Team Fortress 2
- Titanfall 2

Just off the top of my head, and by no means complete. And if you include non-shooter games and coop games, the list gets near triple digits. So much for "best online game". Your white-knighting needs a reality check.

This may be the best online game to many people. It is to Johnny Z. And, despite all the flaws, it is for me.

It all depends on what are you looking for, what aspects of the game you find important.
For me, i.e.:
- all fast paced shooters - worse than MWO, I just don't like fast paced shooters anymore. You only advance as long as your eye-hand coordination allows you. All the strategy and thinking is almost completely unimportant unless both you and your enemy aren't idiots, faster one wins always.
- all games with slower paced combat: played many, either too unbalanced, too simplistic, deprived of customisation, having pro-russian bias (WOT, WT), being p2w, or with terrible grind* or have more of these flaws.

*MWO grind does not concern me, because as long as you have 1 good mastered mech, what can be done pretty quick, you're competitive, all else is optional.

To sum up, MWO is certainly flawed game and I'm kinda getting bored of it after playing it for almost two years straight... BUT it's still the best online game I tried, as it is simply the only one that doesn't have any of flaws that are completely unacceptable to me.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 18 January 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#32 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 18 January 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

[snip]

Of course, tastes are different. Cannot argue with that. That still does not change the fact that this game is an unfinished, incomplete, technically lacking, unpolished sorry excuse of a game, despite being in development for five years now.

Ah yes WoT, one of the non-shooter games which I left off my list... that game is so much better than this one, it is not even funny anymore Posted Image

#33 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

Wargaming's game's are much better financed; their coders are world class and so are their creative direction. If anything Eastern Europe is good at, its coders. And it shows. They make AA products. MWO feels like a garage product in comparison, it feels like a small business trying to compete with a big guy and it shows. MWO also suffers from being a runt even compared to games with much larger player bases, like War Thunder, again because they, although much smaller than Wargaming, still have better money, a much larger player base, able to get better talent in both coding and creative direction. War Thunder even owns its gaming engine, which is not something many games can boast about.

But MWO is still very respectable for what a small business over the years have done, managed to eke out an existence and survive on a small player base. Players expect an AA title out of the franchise, but realistically, you can't get far with PGI's resources and the financial resources and size of your player base. The game has a small but loyal community that is enjoyable to be with, and it has its own atmosphere and mood. The "air" is unquantifiable; its the reason why some people like WW2 games, some people like space games, some people like fantasy games. MWO has gone forward and refined itself, but also in my opinion, it could have done more if it were not for some bad game direction.

Edited by Anjian, 19 January 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#34 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

FYI OP, this game has nothing to do with BT except the name.

#35 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:54 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 January 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

FYI OP, this game has nothing to do with BT except the name.

Really? It seems you have lost the ability to reason and should seek help. This game is more true to its origins than any other online game easily.

Is this game missing vast amounts of content? Yes. But whats in game is very true to its origins.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 January 2017 - 03:56 AM.

#36 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:06 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 20 January 2017 - 03:54 AM, said:

Really? It seems you have lost the ability to reason and should seek help. This game is more true to its origins than any other online game easily.

Is this game missing vast amounts of content? Yes. But whats in game is very true to its origins.

Yeah right. IS mech that are on par with clan ones, fubared heat scale and weapon firing rates, ghost heat, quirks, gauss rifles with "hold my hand mechanics" and 1200m max range, hoverjets, ECM that works like Angel ECM, broken lock mechanics, all mechs sporting C3 network for free, 0t coolshots. I'm sure it all came from BT. But please, don't mind me and keep lieing to yourself and others.

#37 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:16 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 January 2017 - 04:06 AM, said:

Yeah right. IS mech that are on par with clan ones, fubared heat scale and weapon firing rates, ghost heat, quirks, gauss rifles with "hold my hand mechanics" and 1200m max range, hoverjets, ECM that works like Angel ECM, broken lock mechanics, all mechs sporting C3 network for free, 0t coolshots. I'm sure it all came from BT. But please, don't mind me and keep lieing to yourself and others.

Battletech had balanced gameplay and mechs. Clans are not Battletech by your definition. Clans were nothing but an update to the original Battletech.

Jumpjets works great, just cannot put one on your mech instead of 5 and expect to exploit it any more.

Not even worth replying to your nonsense.

#38 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:20 AM

bug?

#39 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 20 January 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

Battletech had balanced gameplay and mechs.

Wrong.

Clans are not Battletech by your definition.

Wrong.

And after seeing how you claim that ...

Jumpjets works great

... it really is ...

Not even worth replying to your nonsense.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 20 January 2017 - 04:21 AM.

#40 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 18 January 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

Wait..

Seriously?

Somebody that completely LIKES the game and PGI?

I...

Don't know what to say here..

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Brace yourself, he's not alone.

To frame this post, understand I've been a fan of From Software's Armored Core series for nearly 20 years at this point. Mechwarrior I've played but not nearly as much as the other. That said with MWO here, the superior game is plain to see to anyone who's stuck around the mech world for a while and it may come across as a hateful post but it is meant seriously when I say this.

Now recently I discovered that I came into the BT universe at a bit of an odd time (apparently around the 3100+ year range where all the psychotic stuff was and I just learned this within the last month). So I've only known things like Jade Falcon after they'd already gone off the deep end making totem mechs and other really odd designs.

With that out of the way I always expected the clans to be in MWO from the description given to me by a friend before i began playing.

Now with that lore tidbit out of the way I'd like to move on to why I consider PGI good (you did not just drop acid) and why MWO is actually a solid game (despite its obvious flaws)

I guess we'll start with the game itself. MWO has flaws, we all know what they are, sometimes hitreg is goofy, RNG on more things than should have it and Disconnects happen. There are also balancing issues that we'll see time and time again because that's just the nature of games. Single player campaign... yeah okay that ones dubious i guess. Grind isn't exactly fun outside of banked premium as well.

That said lets observe what it does correctly. I feel so few actually see this. MWO is a MW game, and a solid one at that. It drops you into a match vs other pilots who can bring basically whatever the hell they want to the battlefield. Your team tasked with defeating them (not always done by elimination) is given the free reigns to do this however the hell they want based on team composition / tactics. What other games provide this in a meaningful way? Battlefield is the only thing I can think of that comes close but in recent years its taken a bit of an odd turn too. The bottom line of correctness is that you have a tactical mech game in which you pilot your machine. As I haven't seen anything good from From Software since AC/FA and their "Tactical" game was more or less a joke there is NOTHING that compares with MWO in the tactical mech shooter arena. Win by default.

Customization is decent. Emphasis on team co-operation. Emphasis on build intellect. Emphasis on skilled play AND decision making. Target prioritization. etc:

And I can hear it now "Yes but WoT does exactly this as well... so..." And yes WoT DOES do similar things but... you can't really bring a Spahpanzer Ru251 into a Tier 3 game now can you? Running whatever you want is highly dependent on what tier level you'd be at. MWO bucks this by having a weight for your group but really that's more about firepower than it is impossibility. (seriously for those of you who haven't played WoT a Tier 3 tank vs a Tier 6+ tank would be a near impossible fight with only very very specific exceptions. Not to mention RNG rolls for damage etc: MWO doesn't have these issues.

Now for PGI itself... this won't be as difficult as you think if you follow my examples.

The only competitor I see to PGI right now in the Mech arena is From Software, hands down and if their last three games or so are any indication of what is going to happen to my beloved Armored Core, then they may as well not even make it. Despite how many people might love Dark Souls / BB the series has gone downhill sharply (just like Berserks protagonists life in the beginning). They've taken things that used to be unique or fun about the PvP in the game and absolutely shat on it for sales to a term I'm not comfortable using.

Similarly PGI has nerfed things into absolute oblivion. so you may be thinking "I don't understand where your going." Consider that in MWO many builds remain viable if not meta. You can run a shadowcat /w 2LPL's or 2-3 ERL's and get away with that shenanigan. Mad-IIC laser vomit mechs that shouldn't do well but do. The everything that is the Locust. You have many ways to actually get into matches and enjoy the game and its mechanics. I'd say the fact that I can and have gotten away with running XL's in the IS Marauder alone is a decent example of what you can get away with and do so successfully. That kind of diversity died in From's titles long ago and not just in the mechaverse, arguably Armored Core was spared the Dark Souls treatment to some degree... but that's another grey area i'd rather not get into here.

"Why compare the two?" Because its relevant to what you're seeing here.

Fanbase that's allover the place in origin shows up at one location, and the mixing never goes perfectly. in Dark Souls its RPG / Mecha SP guys VS the ones who've been doing PvP the entire time and both of these draw different crowds. MWO is easily in the same boat. We have lore guys from the TT days, Noobs like myself from the MW:Merc days (its the one i remember the most) and others from the extended universe and who deeply care about the lore. All of this hits in one place and we have pretty solid community for it. However it separates the views on what SHOULD be in the game and any direction taking a divergent path from that immediately ruffles the feathers of the opposing, often larger, faction in this particular case.

All I want from MWO is a Mechwarrior PvP game that allows me Team based tactical combat on some level where skill, build, and decision making matter. Could it be done better? perhaps. But it delivers on that and it's not a blistering speed game like UT2k+ or touchy like Overwatch and Q3A.

What we need as so many of you have said in the past is new content and direction. We might just get some of that with the future tech this summer. And if i'm honest I don't even care how balanced it is for the first week or two. let that **** just go and see where the dust settles. Hopefully they don't kneejerk nerf anything right out of the gate like way to many companies do these days. Maybe I'm a naive fool who throws out long posts and takes way to deep of a look at how many companies mis-handle updates and perception of balance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users