The Ambiguous Contest (3 Standard Javelins Up For Grabs)

91 replies to this topic

#61 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 23 January 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Well, had a free evening.
Did a thing.
Posted Image
All this pixel crap is gonna give me carpal tunnel syndrome.

Oh my... it makes me think there should be Battletech: The Adventure Game!

#62 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 23 January 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Oh my... it makes me think there should be Battletech: The Adventure Game!

Posted Image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech:_The_Crescent_Hawk's_Inception

#63 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 23 January 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

1. Does the Mech have to be an already existing BT design?
2. Do we have to draw the Mech? (Can we model it instead?)
3. Do we get bonus points if we do both map AND Mechs?

1. I mean it can be as early as 2439 and all the way up to 3060-7. New, original art of mechs (or vehicles, quads) re-realized by you.
2. Art is many mediums. A model would great, given that it is created specifically for this, and not something you already made.
3.Can never have enough new, thought out ideas for maps, I say.

#64 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostBombast, on 23 January 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Not quite an Adventure game, thinking more along the lines of The Dig, Monkey Island, etc.

#65 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 23 January 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Not quite an Adventure game, thinking more along the lines of The Dig, Monkey Island, etc.

Oh god, that would be terrible.

#66 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 23 January 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

View PostBombast, on 23 January 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Oh god, that would be terrible.

Posted Image

#67 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

Alright, now, how do I upload my submission?

#68 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

View Postcazidin, on 23 January 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Alright, now, how do I upload my submission?

http://imgur.com/

#69 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostBombast, on 23 January 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

Very well, BEHOLD!

http://imgur.com/a/3wvP4

I have a very simplistic/minimalistic style, but that's how I like to draw. Posted Image

Edited by cazidin, 23 January 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#70 MAXrobo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts
  • Locationmiddle of nowhere

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

I decided to draw a map as well cause it seemed like fun. I apologize in advance for the lined paper and crappy phone camera picture, its all I had at the time. and with that, here is Valley supply port.
Posted Image

The map is a massive drop ship resupply port built on either side of a valley cut out by a waterfall. Base A on the left side is the largest of the two structures and is large enough to house multiple leopard class dropships at once (the silly wing things in the pictures). Base B is smaller and is used to resupply vehicles and battlemechs. Both sides of the base are connected by two massive bridges running above the river. There is a large basement network built underneath the mountain used to store supplies and equipment. A tunnel connects the basements of the two bases with a shallow bridge over the river to move supplies between them.

Basement A - each side as a tunnel leading in, and a ramp that leads up to the landing bay. There is also a tunnel in the middle leading to the river. Players can jump down into the basement from the interior of the floor above as well. The storage rooms to the far right can be used for flanking and cover to give more movement options in combat.

Main Floor A - Has interior and exterior components. The center of the interior is a platform with a parked leopard class dropship that can be used as cover, as well as walkways leading around the edges. the exterior is a large, flat landing pad. there are shipping creates and heavy machinery that can be used for cover here. the two bridges connect here as well as ramps that lead to the basement. On the south side, there are 2 ramps leading from the spawn up to the landing pad, and a path up the mountain to get to the roof. On the north side, a single large path leads from the top of the water fall down to the landing pad.

Rooftop A - A leopard class dropship separates each side of the roof. The mountain extends up to the back and can be used to flank around. A helicopter pad at the front provides an excellent sniper point with clear sight lines on the entire map.

Basement B - Each side has a back entrance in, as well as a large tunnel leading out to the river. The back entrances have a small side branch as well. There are two ramps the lead the the floor above. The entire center of the basement is open, with clear sight lines on incoming battlemechs above.

Main Floor B - Has four entrances leading to the interior. Two ramps lead down to the basement. small walls provides some cover. There is clear line of sight down into the basement, as well as through north and south entrances. the exterior wraps around the outside of the building with ramps leading to the roof. There are small courtyards to the left and right of the main building. The left side leads to the bridges that connect to the landing pad on Base A.

Rooftop B - Flat with little cover. ramp lead to the top from either side. There is a hole in the center that allows players to fire down on the main floor or basement. Has clear line of sight on the entirety of the right half of the map, as well as the bridges and landing pad on Base A.

Other notes - There are narrow ramps running from the top of the waterfall down to the river on the north side. There is a helicopter pad on the north side that provides and decent sniping position but has very little cover. This is because the south team has a slight advantage getting to the roof, as their ramp is less exposed. The bridges themselves have large support pillars that provides cover to player crossing on top and below.

The main goals I had designing this was a focus on vertical combat, and interconnected spaces. There are so many routes in and out of every area, that any attempt to hunker down as a group and stop will get you quickly flanked from multiple sides and angles. Even though it is a very dense map, it should still accommodate all play styles. lights and mediums have lots and cover and small routes to maneuver or poke. There are plenty of tight spaces to force a brawl in the basements and main floors, and snipers should have a field day with the roof tops and shooting across the valley. The main floor interior and basement of Base A are also large enough to fire LRMs in from short to mid range. LRMs can also be fired in the center area of Base B basement and up to the main floor. These building are REALLY REALLY BIG. They house dropships after all!

#71 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

So, did Bishop win yet? Posted Image

#72 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

View Postcazidin, on 25 January 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

So, did Bishop win yet? Posted Image

Posted Image

Though, OP said he'd go off of general responses for the wins... so lets pass the time by giving our favorite three (Sans ourselves, anyway, which is easy for me since... well, no one likes someone who's sorry for himself). So, top 3 for me would be, in no particular order...

Bishop Steiner (*******)
Juodas Varnas
jjm1

Lots of other good submissions, though.

#73 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostBombast, on 25 January 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

Though, OP said he'd go off of general responses for the wins... so lets pass the time by giving our favorite three (Sans ourselves, anyway, which is easy for me since... well, no one likes someone who's sorry for himself). So, top 3 for me would be, in no particular order...

Bishop Steiner (*******)
Juodas Varnas
jjm1

This is why nerfs are in such a **** state.

No one likes the lights. :P

#74 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

View PostBombast, on 25 January 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

Bishop Steiner (*******)
Juodas Varnas
jjm1

TBH.... I kind of hate the whole voting thing, because I feel it can be very discouraging to new artists. Artwork really is probably the one thing in life where participation prizes belong.... because the whole point is to promote creativity.....and it's subjective, to begin with.

All said and done, though, my favorite hands down, is
Juodas Varnas
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5585777
I love the retro 16 bit style, and two of my favorite robots are in it.... and even though it's mostly a silhouette, it's the best HCT I've seen since Loose first penned it.

#75 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 January 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

TBH.... I kind of hate the whole voting thing, because I feel it can be very discouraging to new artists. Artwork really is probably the one thing in life where participation prizes belong.... because the whole point is to promote creativity.....and it's subjective, to begin with.

Are you sure about the participation prizes? Mine is pretty bad. Posted Image

#76 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Seeing alot good drawings, is pumping me up to greatly improve my work so this is fun in my opinion.

#77 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 January 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

All said and done, though, my favorite hands down, is
Juodas Varnas
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5585777
I love the retro 16 bit style, and two of my favorite robots are in it.... and even though it's mostly a silhouette, it's the best HCT I've seen since Loose first penned it.

I like the style. Reminds me of old lucas arts games. Like that indiana jones one.

View PostBattlemaster56, on 25 January 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

Seeing alot good drawings, is pumping me up to greatly improve my work so this is fun in my opinion.

Yeah, me too. I mostly do portraits, but I like robits. :3

#78 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

View Postcazidin, on 25 January 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Are you sure about the participation prizes? Mine is pretty bad. Posted Image

Art is subjective, and the only way to "improve" is practice. I don't believe art is a competition, in fact I feel competitive thinking stifles creativity. So I would rather encourage any and all who enjoy any of the arts, no matter their "skill".

Just look at the stuff I posted here in these forums four years ago... compared to now. Practice. Lots of it.... and still miles to go before I sleep.

#79 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 January 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Art is subjective, and the only way to "improve" is practice. I don't believe art is a competition, in fact I feel competitive thinking stifles creativity. So I would rather encourage any and all who enjoy any of the arts, no matter their "skill".

Just look at the stuff I posted here in these forums four years ago... compared to now. Practice. Lots of it.... and still miles to go before I sleep.

Though I will say that the subjectivity of art tricks people into this sort of style-ism, where any sort of criticism is invalidated by the creator simply stating the errors are part of a "style". I believe competition can offer a learning experience. It shouldn't, however, be treated as a comparison or hierarchy of talent.

I often see new artists and see that they have a form of style with their art and I encourage them to continue with it, but I suggest ways to refine it.

#80 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Where do we submit it? Just in here or what?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users