What Do You Do Against Narc In Polar Highlands On Domination, When Your Team Has No Ecm Mechs Whatsoever?

49 replies to this topic

#1 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

Please enlighten me as to what counter exists beyond the AMS bubble, which most players will never mount on their mechs because heat sinks are more important.

It's not like running away out to 1k meters is a terribly viable strategy for the mode and map

#2 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

Know the arc of fire of the missiles coming in, look at where they are coming from.

Find anything to hide behind, there are several rock formations in the valleys that help, even if it only eats a few missiles.

There isn't a ton you can do, that map is a good map for LRMs and if you get narced it just sucks.

It is one reason why to not go out into 'no-mans land' toward the center though as that area is much more open and has fewer rocks and valleys.

If you are on domination I believe the big array itself can provide you cover if you can get it between the lurmer and yourself.

#3 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

Bring AMS. There's a few areas with cover. Twist and get into cover or AMS. Don't go out in to areas in Polar without nearby cover.

Polar is very friendly to LRMs in QP because players in QP are terrified, apron-clutching, flailing pansies as a given rule. In FW if a team is stupid enough to being LRMs to Polar the other team pushes, rolling them back and spawn camping them for 4 waves. Had a match last night, Domination on Polar, the other team was LRM heavy. We ended the first wave 27 to 12 and mercy capped them at 38 to 15.

Step 1 - don't play QP. Teaches you to be bad and hate your fellow players.

Step 2 - play very aggressive. LRMs work when the other team is passive and terrible, i.e most QP matches. Start matches in map like Boreal getting your team prepped to roll hard and be ready to lead.

Edited by MischiefSC, 21 January 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

View PostBarantor, on 21 January 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

There isn't a ton you can do, that map is a good map for LRMs and if you get narced it just sucks.

If you are on domination I believe the big array itself can provide you cover if you can get it between the lurmer and yourself.

That's basically what sums it up, but the problem with getting behind the dish is that it puts you on top of the ridge-- you will be seen by the entire enemy team on the other side.

Avoiding the domination circle to get real cover is the only real solution and even then the cover is not really adequate enough-- and abandoning the circle entirely is a bit detrimental to the mode itself.

#5 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

Two options.

1. Run baby run. Either towards the firer, or laterally.

2. Find someone taller and wider than you are. Pretend they are terrain.

Edited by Bombast, 21 January 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 January 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

Please enlighten me as to what counter exists beyond the AMS bubble, which most players will never mount on their mechs because heat sinks are more important.

It's not like running away out to 1k meters is a terribly viable strategy for the mode and map

Die.

#7 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostBombast, on 21 January 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

2. Find someone taller and wider than you are. Pretend they are terrain.

That's a **** move and I would go as far as calling it greifing. Plus it doesn't help if the entire team is narced anyway. Posted Image

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 21 January 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#8 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Being aggressive is pretty much how you counter it. But good luck getting the other 11 pubs to push. Even group queue it can be harder than pulling teeth to get them moving. In solo queue it's almost impossible.

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 January 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

That's a **** move and I owuld go as far as calling it greifing. Plus it doesn't help if the entire team is narced anyway. Posted Image

I didn't say you should do it. It's just one of your two options.

I'm glad you have that opinion, though. Now, if only you could convince all the lights who keep using me as a LRM shield to think the same.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Push

#11 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 21 January 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

Push

If I had the magical ability to make 8+ other players to push I would abuse the hell out of it, but that is not something that happens often.

#12 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

You can pretty much count on the other sides potatoes not hitting the targeting key.
So stay low.
I see way to many people climbing the hill like Iwo Jima only to get cut down in seconds.
If the can't see you they can't lurm ya.
Unless it's me of course.
I'm a BossPosted Image

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 January 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

If I had the magical ability to make 8+ other players to push I would abuse the hell out of it, but that is not something that happens often.

Yeah, but when it happens...its glorious. Keep yapping at em over voip and it can happen. Maddeningly rare, yes. Worth trying every time, yes. Besides not much other choice...especially on Polar.

#14 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

Wonder why you're being dropped against T5 lrm boats in T1. :P

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 January 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

That's a **** move and I would go as far as calling it greifing. Plus it doesn't help if the entire team is narced anyway. Posted Image

That brings us to another solution, keeping quiet about the narcer until enough friendlies are narced to dilute the incoming rain away from you. Combine these tactics for maximal effect.

Seriously though, it's pretty rough. You successfully (make your team) push the LRM boats before they kill you or die.

Polar has some buildings and stuff though, you can try and make your team go there.

Edited by Sjorpha, 21 January 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#16 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

... Start running ECM mechs?

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostGreyNovember, on 21 January 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

... Start running ECM mechs?

Fairly limited options, there.

Oh, and as others have said, a YOLO push is also a choice, one I take from time to time. If you're gonna die in the next minute anyway, you may as well die shooting at someone.

#18 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 January 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

You Yolo rush the LRMer. Because in Solo:

No one else is going to anyway.

You pop him on the chin decently he may flinch because LRM boats are scaredy ponces anyhow.

You might, if the stars align, inspire your Pugmates to press both W and Mouse 1 and get something resembling a push to happen.

#19 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

Use the Dish to block incoming LRMS, telling others to move up to use the Dish. It works at times to get the herd moving.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 January 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#20 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

If you are on domination, the correct response is for the team to rush the enemy while their LRM boats are fixated on one target. It's usually ggclose after that, and sometimes the target even lives.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users