What Do You Do Against Narc In Polar Highlands On Domination, When Your Team Has No Ecm Mechs Whatsoever?

49 replies to this topic

#21 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 21 January 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

If you are on domination, the correct response is for the team to rush the enemy while their LRM boats are fixated on one target. It's usually ggclose after that, and sometimes the target even lives.

Yeah, that's what I figured, though I think a lot of players have voip turned off in their settings at this point or they simply do not listen. As for the surviving part-- an XL jager hardly stands a chance against 400 missiles coming in at once :P

#22 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 January 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

...though I think a lot of players have voip turned off in their settings at this point or they simply do not listen.

No offense, but 9 out of 10 VOIP callers can shove it. Just had a match where the guy who was calling kept intentionally retreat blocking people and turned a 3 mech advantage into a crushing loss.

#23 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

DIE!!!!! there is really nothing that can be done unless the NARCer has gone hog wild and NARC'd 5 targets so you are not focused on.

#24 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

You can't do anything. Especially if you're a slower mech.
There's no protruding terrain elements to serve as cover from LRMs, they only aim to conceal, that's why Radar dep can only help so much.

That's why we bring AMS so that the Narc beacon can get shot down. But then like you said people can't even spare 1 heatsink.
As for me, I'll be laughing my head off in my Nova or Kitfox watching that Lurmboat assault get outLurmed because he got narced.

#25 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 January 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

Please enlighten me as to what counter exists beyond the AMS bubble, which most players will never mount on their mechs because heat sinks are more important.

It's not like running away out to 1k meters is a terribly viable strategy for the mode and map

What you do is:

A.) Narc the other team, since everybody on your team has NARC and nobody on their team has ECM either, obviously.
b.) Use your own LRMs since your team has NARC'ers and you have plenty of LRMs just like the enemy team.

Right?

Or... stopp complaining about the enemy team bringing offensive weapons while your team forgets to bring defensive weapons. Try remembering to bring ECM or AMS if you feel that NARC is a problem, and use your NARCs to the devastating effect that the enemy team does to you.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 January 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#26 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Die

#27 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Please enlighten me as to what counter exists beyond the AMS bubble, which most players will never mount on their mechs because heat sinks are more important.

It's not like running away out to 1k meters is a terribly viable strategy for the mode and map

CHARGE!

Everyone stops cowering and being slowly melted away by LRMs and everyone goes over the rise in front of them and engages the LRMs in a point blank brawl.

This is the only sound tactic to execute under this circumstance.

Staying put will get you killed.
Pulling back will lose the match.
Dribbling into close combat in single file gets you all killed one at a time.

There is of course more complexity than this but essentially the answer is charge them.

Sometimes you want to roll up a flank by shifting to one side and then cresting

Sometimes you want to split your faster mechs off to roll in from another angle to blitz the LRMs while everyone else engages the enemy brawlers.

It's situational on how you charge but the answer is ...

CHARGE OR DIE !

Edited by Lykaon, 21 January 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#28 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 January 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

What you do is:

A.) Narc the other team, since everybody on your team has NARC and nobody on their team has ECM either, obviously.
b.) Use your own LRMs since your team has NARC'ers and you have plenty of LRMs just like the enemy team.

Right?

Or... stopp complaining about the enemy team bringing offensive weapons while your team forgets to bring defensive weapons. Try remembering to bring ECM or AMS if you feel that NARC is a problem, and use your NARCs to the devastating effect that the enemy team does to you.

So much passive aggression. Calm yourself mate.

I presume he is talking quickplay here, where he has absolutely zero control over what his "team" bring to the party.

I don't get how your comment has any point to it, other than trying to sound edgy and cool.

If you get narc'ed on polar highlands QP, it entirely depends on where you are on the map, how many enemy actually has LRMS, and how far away they are. There is no science to it. There is no macho spin on it.

If it is CW, then it shouldn't even be an issue unless you are playing it like quickplay and no one is talking.

Edited by Reza Malin, 21 January 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#29 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:04 AM

3 counters I find viable and use:

1) Find cover (it exists) or run the hell away so the enemy looses lock on you.

2) Find a meat shield - hide behind that direwolf in your team.. or even better, behind a Kodiak - its taller, so it will deflect missiles better, and it will instantly become prime target (unless you are also a Kodiak)

3) Torso twist like a maniac.. use all that armor up! Naturally, while retreating..

Other than that.. you can also accept your fate - and rush that LRM boat.. if he's singled out.. OR you can try to power down and pray he picks on somebody else Posted Image

Note: I play LRMs and love Polar..

Nothing sweater than killing a LRM boat with a LRM boat..

Edited by Vellron2005, 23 January 2017 - 03:06 AM.

#30 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:12 AM

As a solo player, unless you can convince your team to push against the LRM rain (which is fairly rare in solo queue), there's nothing you can do.

You won't have good enough cover, you won't get ECM cover, your own ECM doesn't help, powering down doesn't help, you can't outrun them, you're just screwed. Just die, disconnect, find a new match.

I used to say that LRMs need to be redesigned, but I've given up. Never gonna happen.

#31 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:25 AM

Use guile....nuff said.

https://youtu.be/E_sUtXAl24o?t=26

Seriously though, in the situation outlined, you just charge at them and die while doing as much damage as possible. That's about all you can do after you are up **** creek as stated.

Edited by Dino Might, 23 January 2017 - 03:28 AM.

#32 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:28 AM

View PostBarantor, on 21 January 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Know the arc of fire of the missiles coming in, look at where they are coming from.

Find anything to hide behind, there are several rock formations in the valleys that help, even if it only eats a few missiles.

There isn't a ton you can do, that map is a good map for LRMs and if you get narced it just sucks.

It is one reason why to not go out into 'no-mans land' toward the center though as that area is much more open and has fewer rocks and valleys.

If you are on domination I believe the big array itself can provide you cover if you can get it between the lurmer and yourself.

Pretty much this is what I did the other day. Took minimal damage from missiles.

#33 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

push into the LRMers face
get tall enough hard cover
outrun the missiles
get out of lrm range and gleefully watch them explode midair without doing damage ( I like this one most ... standing out in the open and trying to draw in all ze LRM´s so my buddies can go and have a word with them)

Edited by B0oN, 23 January 2017 - 03:30 AM.

#34 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 21 January 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

That brings us to another solution, keeping quiet about the narcer until enough friendlies are narced to dilute the incoming rain away from you. Combine these tactics for maximal effect.

Seriously though, it's pretty rough. You successfully (make your team) push the LRM boats before they kill you or die.

Polar has some buildings and stuff though, you can try and make your team go there.

why would you ever narc more then 1 guy at a time as a narcer on polar??

#35 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:40 AM

Believe in the old myth that shutting down for a few seconds will remove you from their locks

#36 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:11 AM

Q:
WHAT DO YOU DO AGAINST NARC IN POLAR HIGHLANDS ON DOMINATION, WHEN YOUR TEAM HAS NO ECM MECHS WHATSOEVER?

A: Turning and running is actually exactly what I did.

It happened to me last week: I got hit by a poking NARCraven that was around 450m away.
Then the missiles started coming in.
I turned and ran.

I noticed the missiles seem to be coming from considerably further behind where the raven had been poking and angled so I would be running directly away where they were coming from. After my back armor was gone I turned around and ran backwards.
A few seconds later the NARC wore off.

I went back to rejoin the battle keeping care to both let nothing get closer than 600+ m to me and targeting anything with LRMs first.
We won, and I got a few kills which always feels nice.
I was just lucky the LRM boats were at the very rear of the enemy firing line.

And lucky's not a bad thing to be Posted Image

#37 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

Oh..

I thought maybe there was a punch line.

#38 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

what you do when you find your entire team is giong to hide for the whole match and play peak and poke at 1k+... Press W.. If it doesn't work you find a new match.. Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 23 January 2017 - 08:27 AM.

#39 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

#40 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

Group up with your teammates and use your 12 AMS to eliminate the missiles while you push and wipe the enemy team...oh, wait...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users