Does The Huntsman Actually Deserve The Nerfs?

45 replies to this topic

#41 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostDovisKhan, on 23 January 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

depends on what you've mounted i the arms

Any missile system ads a huge protrusion that covers the whole torso

Ballistic weapons offer moderate cover

Lasers - 0 cover

Basically if you've mounted missiles on your arms and even minorly twist - arms will always come of first.

It actualyl has great hitboxes for missile brawling, not much else, not much else at all

Depends on the laser layout. I use the Prime arms because they uniquely basically double the surface areas of the arms. Two barrels along the outside of the fist. It is very common for me to end a match in a Huntsman at under 30% HP. Either I don't react fast enough and my CT gets blown out, or I end the game minus both arms, one side torso, and possibly down a leg, with armor gone everywhere else. It's a beautiful thing when your 50 ton mech can tank 350 damage and still be moving at the end of it.

As for the validity of the nerfs.... I mean, I have a 19 DHS Mk1 TC 2x ERPPC Tartsman. Does very well. Think I only trade 5 KPH and 1 DHS over the meta Hunchback, IIRC, but I get an extra JJ and side torsos that don't implode out of the deal. I suppose I value survivability more than most, considering I'm still rocking the same sort of firepower, but I don't view it as decidedly inferior to the Tartback.

That said, I laugh, because the torso twist reduction on both the HBKIIC and HMN with energy ST does nothing to actually nerf the PPC builds. You are usually operating at such a distance from the enemy, you're effectively only utilizing a very small amount of your torso twist to begin with. It hurts brawler builds more. That said, the missile or ballistic side torsos are probably the better brawl choices anyways, so what you have it actually nerfing would be the subpar lazvom builds that the Huntsman cannot run as well as the HBK or SCR due to wonky crit placements.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 January 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#42 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

What's fun is the number of folks who predicted that the Huntsman would come out and just auto-obsolete the entire Clan medium category. it was going to be the Medium 'Mech to end all medium 'Mechs, the best thing since whole-wheat Marauders.

And now people forget it's even in the game until it shows up in patch notes.

Oh, MWO Playerbase. You are amuse.

Actually, I do not recall anyone stating it would basically be the alpha and omega of mediums. In fact, I remember distinctly both myself and others stating it would be a fantastic sidegrade medium omnimech. A equal but different approach.

After 542 matches combined (if the stats page is accurate), my opinion has not changed in that regard. It does what it does well. It has some very distinct advantages over its other Clan mediums, but it also has its definite limitations. It can, however, function "acceptably" beyond the scope of its preferred loadout combinations.

It won't minmax quite as much as any one given HBK chassis, but it can hybrid build better than virtually anything in our medium bracket, and as a brawler, I'm honestly unsure which is the scarier of the two: 10 SLas Nova or the Pakhet with 4x SPlas and 4x ASRM6. One amputates stupidly easily, but the other one is so brutal, you don't even need to mess around with limb removal and just center punch people in two shots to the CT.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 January 2017 - 07:00 AM.

#43 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

View Postarmyunit, on 23 January 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

DOES THE HUNTSMAN ACTUALLY DESERVE THE NERFS?

It's Nerf, or nothing *shrug*

:)

#44 Horace83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

-40 is a bit harsh. I encounter Huntsmen mostly in Scouting matches. Since the tonnage change Clans are already struggling for a decent deck in that mode. That nerf doen't make it easier. I hate facing the SRM vomit build but it definetly does not feel OP to me.

#45 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 24 January 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

It's Nerf, or nothing *shrug*

Posted Image

Posted Image

ur rite tho